Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Oil on Spark Plug threads?

Vehicles
      MKV R32; 337 RIP
      07-02-2012 01:50 PM #1
      I originally posted this in the mkv r32 forum. maybe I can get some more opinions here.

I've been noticing some poor gas mileage (22 mpg highway with cruise on in 6th the whole time) so I decided maybe I should change the spark plugs a bit early. I'm at 33k right now and the maintenance schedule says 40k. (2008 R32)

I went to change them today and I pulled out the plug in cylinder one and noticed there was oil on the threads...

Is this something I need to be worried about? I'm still under warranty and decided to put the plug back and get some advice. I need to take my car in for some leaking seals on the rear diff and I wondered if this is a problem. I didn't bother pulling the other plugs out to check them, I never saw this before on my 1.8T even after 80k miles.

If it's perfectly normal, then whatever. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
      .:Roxanne

Vehicles
      Golf 1.8T now scrapped, soon 2.8 v6 4
      07-08-2012 07:12 PM #2
      Well the tip of the plug is clean so it's not coming from the cylinder.

Possibly coming from your the rocker cover and seeping down into the spark plug hole.

If your under warranty i'd get the garage to check it out, because there could well be a crack in the head? unlikely but you never know unless you can find out where it come from.

But i'd say it's the rocker cover gasket..

Our mk3 vr6 did this but i just ignored it, as it wasn't a big deal....

I don't own an r32 but i just come into the forum to see what's what with theses engines, because i'll probably get one pretty soon because i'd like 4wd plus i'm missing the sound of the vr6 engine..

I have a 1.8T turbo which i'll still keep but it would be nice to own a big engine again before they completely throw the big engines into history and the only purr noise we get is when the engine is misfiring

I suppose the 2.5T engine purrs so that's probably what we will be stuck with, on saying that petrol will be so dear i don't think we will be driving cars in the future, back to the peddle bike!

I hope you get it fixed..
      Diagnostic technician and conspiracy theorist.
      www.infowars.com www.davidicke.com

Vehicles
      2014 CC R-LINE, 2012 Golf R, 2004 R32T, 1997 GLX VRT, 1990 G60 Corrado, 1988 Vanagon
      07-14-2012 01:42 AM #3
      He hit the nail on the head.

As long as there isn't oil on the tip then it most likely isn't coming from the cylinder, which if it was it is normally cause by worn out piston rings.

Because the oil is only on the threads it is most likely the valve cover gasket like previously mentioned. For the valve cover gasket for the R32 you have to check the 6 individual round gaskets for each spark plug hole and they must be ordered individually or find a set.

Cheep fix and fairly easy other than the fact you must remove the intake manifold to get the valve cover off. If

If it is under warranty then just bring it in. If not look for a DIY as they are all over the forums on how to remove the intake manifold.

Good luck man.