Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Diagnosing 01V Reverse Gear Issue for 2000 Passat 1.8T

1. n00b
      Vehicles
      2000 VW Passat 1.8T ATW
      07-02-2012 06:19 PM #1
      I've been dealing with a "no reverse" issue in my 2000 Passat's 01V transmission for almost one year now, and I'm still trying to narrow down the likelihood of the possible problems; given that the car is about 12 years old with 110K miles, I would like to avoid a major rebuild it possible.

Here are the symptoms, which have been very consistent since the problem first surfaced.

• On a cold start (no driving for several hours/over night), reverse will engage for a short period of time and then disengage. The car will shudder when moving into reverse gear, will move with throttle, then disengage shortly afterwards as if it were shifted into neutral. In this state, there is a small amount of constant drive force as the car will start to move in reverse from a full stop.
      • On a warm start, reverse will never engage and no drive force is present.
      • All forward gears engage and stay engaged as expected.

I performed a proper ATF fluid and filter change and noticed no unnatural debris (transmission parts) in the ATF pan during the process. Furthermore, scanning the TCM with a VAG-COM yielded no stored errors. I also used the VAG-COM to observe the motion of the N88 solenoid during shifting and it appears normal, though I didn't observe the pressure-control valves N91 and N93 (the manuals states these are the three valves that operate when in reverse); the multifunction-swtich also appears to be operating correctly as it doesn't slip when selecting reverse.

I've read about the d-drum issue with the ZF 5HP19 transmission (manufacturer labeling for the 01V transmission), but I don't think that is the problem since I can engage in reverse for a short period of time.

What could be the possible cause of this problem and what can I do to further diagnose the root cause? Has anyone else had a similar problem and resolved it?

Vehicles
      85 Jetta TD sold 2001 Jetta Tdi, 2000 Jetta Tdi
      08-07-2012 08:28 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by Passatster View Post
      What could be the possible cause of this problem and what can I do to further diagnose the root cause?
      Here is your next step...

remove transmission from the car. Disassemble transmission.
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2000 A4 1.8TQM
      08-15-2012 05:32 PM #3
      did you ever figure out what the issue was, my 00 a4 1.8t is doing the same thing

4. 04-25-2013 10:01 AM #4
      I recently would shift into reverse, It would partially engague, Then POP out for 1-2 sec and reingague and all was well. After just a few instances of this It got pretty fierce so it got parked. In searching the web I found this-

http://www.searchautoparts.com/motor...w-audi-and-vw#

We pulled the valve body to reseal and check everything and found the D-clutch accumulator cap was popping out where you could see the oring with out pilling that cap! It fixed it! We also took alot of pictures so we could put it together as we found it! We took a Good Pix of the valve body plate with all the springs, check balls and orfices in place-printed the picture-put clear plastic over it and layed all the parts out on the pic exactly where they went.Even used a sharpy to write notes. but you may not need to pull apart the whole valve body if you diden't want just pull it off the case and pull the piece off in the link above.

5. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      Revmax Performance Valve Bodies
      05-06-2013 03:25 PM #5
      No reverse can be attributed to a worn out pressure regulator valve in the valve body. It is possible that is causing the issue.
      Your 01M, 09G, 09D and 5HP19 valve body source!
      www.revmaxconverters.com

Vehicles
      05-07-2013 08:56 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Revmax View Post
      No reverse can be attributed to a worn out pressure regulator valve in the valve body. It is possible that is causing the issue.
      How so?
      Auto trans fluid change or flush will not make a trans fail. Stop spreading the wives tale/urban myth.
      ASE Master Certified Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Rating Recently passed ASE certification for Light Diesel repair.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

7. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      05-08-2013 08:34 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by CoolAirVw View Post
      How so?

Reverse utilizes both stages of the PR valve. It does this by rerouting balance oil to the balance side of the valve. Now, if the bore is severely worn the rerouted balance oil will leak past the valve and not allow full line pressure to be available. Symptoms would be delayed reverse, loss of reverse or slipping reverse.
      www.revmaxconverters.com

Vehicles
      05-09-2013 08:43 AM #8
      Interesting.. nothing wrong with that, but I would be more likely to attribute a reverse issue to

1. broken piston
      2. snap ring broken out the drum,
      3. the 0-ring issue linked to above
      4. a rolled drum seal

1 & 2 are common issues I've seen in my shop multiple times in the last 2 years, plus its scattered everywhere across the internet

But... certainly a worn PR valve can lead to broken piston and broken snap ring out of the drum.

Some of the ones I've done have been terribly worn, and I attribute most of the common issues like 1 & 2 above and spinning out the pump bushing to excess pressure. All my 01V rebuilds get oversized PR Valve.

#4 happened just last week but someone else had been in that unit before and I assume they rolled it when they worked on it.
      Last edited by CoolAirVw; 05-14-2013 at 08:36 AM.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

9. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      05-09-2013 09:01 AM #9
      Yes, I agree with your comments above. Normally the reverse issues surface from the worn out PR valve. Now, it just depends where the wear is happening and what the result of the wear causes. We could have high line, low line, high cooler flow, low cooler flow or a combination of all.For customers that have the high line issue if they continue to drive the car it will eventually blow the drum / snap ring out. Great comments by the way!
      www.revmaxconverters.com

10. n00b
      Vehicles
      2000 VW Passat 1.8T ATW
      08-20-2013 05:30 PM #10
      Great information!

One thing I've noticed is that on a cold start of the engine I can utilize the reverse gear by shifting from park to neutral, wait a few seconds, then from neutral to reverse. The gear might slip, but if it does, it engages almost immediately and stays engaged. If the engine is warm, this doesn't happen at all.

I've learned to live with this problem for almost two years now but think about it every now and then. The info about the o-ring seems like a relatively straightforward project and I plan to try it out in the near future.

11. n00b
      Vehicles
      2000 VW Passat 1.8T ATW
      08-21-2013 06:02 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by footpounder View Post
      http://www.searchautoparts.com/motor...w-audi-and-vw#

We pulled the valve body to reseal and check everything and found the D-clutch accumulator cap was popping out where you could see the oring with out pilling that cap! It fixed it!
      Did you replace or reuse the indicated o-ring? I am curious if you can recommend a source for ZF parts. I suppose I can check with some local transmission shops too.

Vehicles
      08-22-2013 07:43 AM #12
      Its just a simple oring. You can pull it off and make comparisons with ones at the auto parts store to see if they can match up something close.

If might prove difficult to get that 0ring otherwise, unless you buy a full kit.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

13. 03-30-2015 09:50 AM #13
      HI, i came accross this problem, the reverse has a delay before coming on on a 01V from a 2005 Passat 4Motion.
      I'd like to replace the o-rings for the d and f clutches but i don't know where they are exactly. Could someone give me a hint on which piston to remove ? I looked in ETKA and it doesn't say which one is which.

thanks

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 bmw x6
      03-30-2015 10:43 AM #14
      You would want to look at the center support, that is the D,G drum. The drum is located in the middle of the unit and you have to pull off the valvebody to take the 3 bolts out that hold it in. Gary

Vehicles
      03-31-2015 08:27 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by gsferraro View Post
      You would want to look at the center support, that is the D,G drum. The drum is located in the middle of the unit and you have to pull off the valvebody to take the 3 bolts out that hold it in. Gary
      I dont think thats what he's talking about. I think he means the plugs on the end of the VB. They can leak pressure and make a reverse problem. There is an article somewhere... I've searched but haven't found it.
      Last edited by CoolAirVw; 03-31-2015 at 08:30 AM.
      www.KansasCityTdi.com

16. 04-03-2015 04:57 PM #16
      thanks a lot for the insights, i'll tkae a close look