Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Extended Steering Linkage - welding cast steel?

1. 07-02-2012 08:19 PM #1
      I need to extend the lowest portion of my steering linkage about 2.75" for my current project. I had intended to cut the lowest section and have a friend weld some solid rod in, but I have since realized this part is cast steel.....I think. Looking for some opinions on this. It has to be extended at the lowest joint to maintain the proper angle through the firewall.

Is it safe to weld this piece considering the catastrophic outcome if it fails?

Vehicles
      2002 Bora TDI, 1994 2.0 16v Corrado, 1991 MK2 Golf, 1983 MK1 Golf Driver, MK4 Golf, 1971 Fastback
      07-03-2012 05:04 AM #2
      I'm doing exactly the same thing. Or very similar anyway as I'm fitting a MK4 steering column to a corrado. I have a spare lower column which I got cheap so it's no big deal if it messes up first time.

I'm wanting to have it welded and machined so it looks as oem and works as normal as possible. I left it with my engineer and he said it wouldn't be a problem. I'll hopefully get pics this week sometime if he gets it finished for me. It's a little different to your setup though.

Here's the test column.

3. 07-03-2012 08:02 AM #3
      Please keep me posted and add some pics when you can.

I had planned to split the lowest piece between the "U" shaped fork and the bottom where the rack slides into.

Vehicles
      1975 Beetle (x2), 1990 Fox, !991 Cabriolet (Current)
      07-27-2012 12:32 AM #4
      I have had good results welding cast at work. With a MIG Miller I turned up the amps and wire speed, qucik welds, and cool in some oil. Grind down and bevel the ends a bit, but not as much as you would if it was solid(not cast).

Vehicles
      2002 Bora TDI, 1994 2.0 16v Corrado, 1991 MK2 Golf, 1983 MK1 Golf Driver, MK4 Golf, 1971 Fastback
      07-27-2012 05:21 AM #5
      My engineer told me the only welds that stick to that type of cast steel properly in his experience were arc stainless rods. That's what he tacked the 40mm piece on with for test fitting. I'm happy with that as I don't want this cracking during driving.

This part will be backwards engineered with the bearings took back out, welded up, then they'll be pressed back into place again and crimped as they were after it's all done.

For this bit I just used normal mild steel wire. I still need to weld it up all round.

6. Member Pat @ Pitt Soundworks's Avatar
      07-29-2012 09:18 PM #6
      309 or inconel and you should be okay. Preheat the cast part, and wrap it in fiberglass when you're done welding.