Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: GTI Pros and Cons?

1. 07-04-2012 10:34 AM #1
      I'm strongly considering a GTI. I love the performance and handling. However, I hear terrible things about Volkswagens - mainly that you have to rely heavily on the dealerships for repairs and that the dealerships are often dishonest.

In my mind - I connect Apple and VW. They've had similar ad campaigns. They seem to be marketed at white professionals. Their customers are very loyal. I have a MacBook, I bought it after using PCs for years. It was quite an expensive purchase for me at the time. I never liked the fact that they had a closed architecture, that you had to rely on Apple for parts and service a lot of the time (like VW). However, I don't regret the purchase - they are superior to PCs in every way. That said, I hate dealing with Apple, and I don't like going into that Apple store. I interviewed for a job once at Apple in Cupertino - they are kind of creepy. They are a marketing company - they don't use the best parts are the latest technology but they do have the best designers and they know how to create and control markets through "lifestyle" branding. The bottom line is that I think they are overpriced but it is irrelevant because for my needs it is the best laptop I can get and Apple knows that I'll fork over the extra bucks. I'm hooked.

I am a white professional, and I realize that a car purchase is one of the biggest expenses I'm going to lay out, and that car manufactures spend millions of dollars on advertising - when I think of psychology and advertising, i think most of that research is being funded by the automotive industry. I think Volkswagens are marketed towards people that think they are a little better than everyone else - not to cast aspersions - but that's how it appears. VWs are not luxury cars but they are on the high end of standard. My aunt has been driving VWs for fifty years. She thinks she is better than everyone else. She's also been complaining about the VW dealer for fifty years, but she keeps driving those cars. We are both aggressive drivers and what I like about the Golf is that I can really zip around people that are riding the break - I probably shouldn't do that but it's what I like to do. VW knows this and they make a car that can do it - a car designed for impatient people. Is this how they are roping me in? I have my heart set on a GTI, but if I can break the spell, I can spend less money and get something nice, too.

I've said a lot - anybody tell me if they are happy

Vehicles
      B7 RS4
      07-04-2012 11:10 AM #2
      Hi. Welcome.

I work at Apple. In Cupertino. In Marketing. So I hope I don't come across as "creepy."

Those are very astute observations, all. I think you hit the nail on the head in terms of brand value parallels between VW and Apple. I would say Audi is even more aligned, but they're the same company anyway, so that's really just splitting hairs. Case in point: I produced these demo videos for Final Cut Pro X, which were a direct partnership and cross-promotion with Audi:

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/what-is/#video-demo
      http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/wha...#multicam-demo

The target demographics are definitely similar, as is the approach to aspirational marketing and branding.

In terms of what you've heard about VW, I think a lot of this is legacy thinking (much like the persisting feeling that Volkswagens have terrible electrical problems and reliability issues)... in my opinion, it's just not true. Sure, there are truly awful dealerships, but I think this is not emblematic of the brand as a whole. The dealer I have been taking my car to is one of the best I have ever been to, even outside of the brand, so that definitely influences my opinion. You can read about my very positive experiences here.

As a consumer, you have plenty of options, so if you hate the service you're receiving at one place, let them know in no uncertain terms (also at the corporate level), and go to another dealership. Same goes for your aunt. Once you're outside of your warranty, you can go to any reputable independent shop -- parts for these cars are certainly easy to come by these days, and you no longer have to rely on the dealership to source them, whether they be plastic interior trim, or intake manifolds. You can even order the parts online and take them to the shop of your choice.

I've owned five Volkswagens. All Golfs. My first car was a MKIII Golf CL back in Germany in the early 90's, and since then I've been hooked. I've owned several different cars in between, most notably a B5 Audi S6 Avant, but I can honestly say that the current MKVI GTI is the hands-down the best car I have ever owned. It's the complete package: spirited, nimble, economical, classy, refined, and understated. And with some additional funds allocated to the right places, it becomes proper quick (while staying economical -- I still get 32mpg average on my daily 100-mile commute, provided I don't get on it. If I do, it's obviously a different story).

So yes, I am very happy, and don't see myself leaving the brand any time soon. If I do, it'll be to buy something ridiculous like an M3 or RS4, but I guarantee you that in the long run, I'll be back. To me, the quality, price-performance relationship, and ownership experience are unsurpassed.
      post count ≠ relevance

They say you are what you eat, which is funny, because I don't remember eating a ****ing legend.

Vehicles
      2007 GLI (SOLD) / 2010 GTI (SOLD)
      07-04-2012 11:24 AM #3
      I'm 27k miles in with numerous mods - APR flash, bagged, etc; and the only time the cars gone in to the dealer is for the free oil changes. These MK6's are solid from what I've seen and VW has come a long way from what they were considered a few years ago. Of course like any car brand, you'll have your cars that have issues, but the majority will probably agree that these are reliable.

Vehicles
      The Standard of the World | Feed Your Restless
      07-04-2012 12:24 PM #4
      The MKVI's are very reliable.

The Beetle... God no.
      Semper Fi | USMC '06-'14 | 0311 | 0331| 0933
      Aonarch's Blog!

Vehicles
      07-04-2012 12:29 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      The MKVI's are very reliable.

The Beetle... God no.
      You've been screwed since you traded in your GTI.

Vehicles
      07-04-2012 12:30 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel Nuts View Post
      You've been screwed since you traded in your GTI.
      Meh. The monthly difference is fantastic. 2.5L makes sex noises too, and I've got a wider butt.
      Aonarch's Blog!

Vehicles
      static mk6 GTI/static mk2 Jetta Wolfie
      07-04-2012 12:32 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel Nuts View Post
      I'm 27k miles in with numerous mods - APR flash, bagged, etc; and the only time the cars gone in to the dealer is for the free oil changes. These MK6's are solid from what I've seen and VW has come a long way from what they were considered a few years ago. Of course like any car brand, you'll have your cars that have issues, but the majority will probably agree that these are reliable.
      this.

i've put alot of money into this thing, and it really is the beezneez. i love it. 13.8k miles later, its still rockin. not a single issue.
      Quote Originally Posted by NotLowEnough View Post
      I've seen hookers with less gap.
      Click here for lulz. ~
      mk6. | Instagram @fist_sluts | Chucktown Dubs.

8. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI 2DR DBM
      07-04-2012 12:46 PM #8
      sebastian you're so creepy

Vehicles
      07-04-2012 12:46 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post

10. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 VW GTI 2DR DBM
      07-04-2012 12:46 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Aonarch View Post
      Meh. The monthly difference is fantastic. 2.5L makes sex noises too, and I've got a wider butt.
      2.5l sounds like a vacum cleaner

Vehicles
      2000 VW Jetta 1.8T, 2003 BMW 325i, 2010 Mazda5 GT, 2006 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro Avant, 2012 VW GTI
      07-04-2012 01:06 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by musicalshore View Post
      In my mind - I connect Apple and VW. They've had similar ad campaigns. They seem to be marketed at white professionals.
      I do hope you mean "White Collar?"

I'm not sure VW's marketing directly at white people.

Vehicles
      static mk6 GTI/static mk2 Jetta Wolfie
      07-04-2012 01:24 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Smartass View Post

your name is epic, based on the posts you make.
      Quote Originally Posted by NotLowEnough View Post
      I've seen hookers with less gap.
      Click here for lulz. ~
      mk6. | Instagram @fist_sluts | Chucktown Dubs.

Vehicles
      2011 mustang 5.0.2012 Gti 2012 Tiguan 01 CHEVY SCSB/Turbo rail
      07-04-2012 02:08 PM #13
      Hello White professional,

In the 15k i have owned my car the ecu ( bad solder contacts from the factory) has been out twice and the abs harness has been replaced once along with the level sensor for the headlights. Flashing this car would be the only way of not hating it so it is a must. Vw and APR have taken care of me with every problem. Down time with the car is about 1 month and a week since buying the car in February.

Regards,
      Brown Professional.
      autocrats...

Vehicles
      B7 RS4
      07-04-2012 02:44 PM #14

:creepy wink:
      post count ≠ relevance

They say you are what you eat, which is funny, because I don't remember eating a ****ing legend.

15. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      Four eyed Fox Body, 2012 White 2D GTI DSG
      07-04-2012 03:07 PM #15
      Op. you pick the type of car you want (Hot Hatch, economy car, luxury car, sports car) and then test drive the top rated cars in the segment. Don't buy a car because of marketing generalizations suggesting Apple people are VW people or whatever.

Also, here are some GTI Pros and Cons:

Pros: Torque available nearly on demand, build quality, fuel economy (when compared to luxury and sports sports cars) and it is just fun to drive.
      Cons: Poor reliability reputation, Front wheel drive.

16. 07-04-2012 06:22 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by oldskol View Post
      Op. you pick the type of car you want (Hot Hatch, economy car, luxury car, sports car) and then test drive the top rated cars in the segment. Don't buy a car because of marketing generalizations suggesting Apple people are VW people or whatever.

Also, here are some GTI Pros and Cons:

Pros: Torque available nearly on demand, build quality, fuel economy (when compared to luxury and sports sports cars) and it is just fun to drive.
      Cons: Poor reliability reputation, Front wheel drive.
      I've owned VW's since they were air cooled & never had any real reliability issues, of course I take very good care of the things I've worked hard to get. I have also owned many different cars, BMW, Porsche, just to name a few. My GTI is one of the most fun to drive cars I've owned, if I had to do it all over again, the only thing I would have done differently is, I would have spent a little more money & bought an R
      2012 GTI APR K04

Vehicles
      2011 mustang 5.0.2012 Gti 2012 Tiguan 01 CHEVY SCSB/Turbo rail
      07-04-2012 06:31 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by ina04gli1.8t View Post
      I've owned VW's since they were air cooled & never had any real reliability issues, of course I take very good care of the things I've worked hard to get. I have also owned many different cars, BMW, Porsche, just to name a few. My GTI is one of the most fun to drive cars I've owned, if I had to do it all over again, the only thing I would have done differently is, I would have spent a little more money & bought an R
      Why an R over a gti ?
      autocrats...

Vehicles
      07-04-2012 07:19 PM #18
      I am better than everyone.

Sent from my iPhone 7GS.
      Aonarch's Blog!

Vehicles
      2012 GTi Autobahn
      07-04-2012 10:45 PM #19
      Remember that the people who have problems are going to be louder than those who dont.
      But from the forums here and mk6gti its a fairly reliable car. And When I was at the dealer I had the choice of either the base model R or fully loaded GTI, the dealer had both in the show room and I had a chance to take both of them for a test drive, and to be honest I feel the GTI was more fun, it was much lighter and the turn ins are so sharp. The R wasnt slugish or anything but there was a huge weight difference due to the 4motion.

Plus the GTI has better mpg and i really wanted the autobahn edition> base R.

Get it, so far no one has been disappointed.
      I was considering 3 other cars before buying the GTI.
      It was the Civic SI, Mazda Speed 3, and Subaru WRX.
      Since this was gonna be a daily driver for me HP was not the most important factor.
      The 2012 Civic SI needed almost a year for it to arrive state side due to what happen in Japan recently.
      The Mazda speed 3 sucked on gas and looked worse than the previous Gen, and the torque steer.
      The wrx was the only car that was close to beating the GTI. But I decided I didnt really need the 4wd. I might see snow 4x a year up here, last year 0. So the premium for the gas i was paying didnt make sense. Plus no room i the back seats.

GTI DA NUMBA WONZZ.
      No, I cant go lower. you see that right there? thats called Manhattan.
      No, I dont want to race your 98 Honda civic.
      VW DA NUMBA WONZZZ

20. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 GTI 4DR 6MT Tornado Red
      07-05-2012 06:32 AM #20
      Approaching 27K miles, only two warranty repairs (warped front rotors and replaced droopy insulation pad under the hood).

Dealers can be a problem. Some are great, and some should be avoided at all cost.

Best to ask around about for comments on the one you are considering.

21. 07-05-2012 07:45 AM #21
      Wow, so many replies! People clearly enjoy these cars. How are they in the snow? I remember years ago a friend of mine had a Rabbit (I think) and we had a really bad storm - this was on Staten Island, which has bad roads and steep hills, and she could never get around. Will I be stuck like a turtle in the snow?

22. 07-05-2012 07:59 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Smartass View Post

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008...-toyota-prius/

I've driven a Prius with Zipcar....it's like the hall monitor of cars...so not fun

Vehicles
      07-05-2012 08:40 AM #23
      2.5l sounds like a vacum cleaner
      Some people have sex with vacuum cleaners too.
      Aonarch's Blog!

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 VW GTI
      07-05-2012 09:45 AM #24
      The same car can be good and bad in snow depending on tires. Get some dedicated snow tires and you will be fine. 28K and only warranty item has been a missing fog light access cover. I have 1 squeak from the back I haven't been able to locate, but no rattles.
      '10 GTI 4-Door UG. 6spd, Xenons, Dynaudio
      '94 Miata C package
      '97 A4 1.8T Quattro- Sold

25. n00b
      Vehicles
      2011 VW GTI
      07-05-2012 10:08 AM #25
      I love my mkvI gti. In my opinion its the best balance of sporty performance and comfort in its class. Having driven a s2000 prior to my second gti i can say the gti has all of the real world sporty performance you can actually use on the streets, plus all of the added comfort and build quality you dont get from a pure sports car. Everything on the car is put together as tight as humanly and the materials and design on the interior is as luxurios as any other car out there. As for dealerships being dishonest i never had a problem with mine. I bought 3 cars from gunther vw coconut creek before taking a job there.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Candy White 4 door GTI. 2007 Alpine White BMW 328i sedan.
      07-05-2012 01:43 PM #26
      They got an "F" rating from the BBB.

Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      07-05-2012 02:10 PM #27
      Repairs required to date on my 2010 GTI w/ 32,600 miles:
      -Replace foglight assembly due to condensation
      -Replace MDI/iPod cable due to broken internal wire
      -Replace foglight bulb
      -Service A/C system due to unpleasant odor
      -Replace clutch/flywheel assembly to handle additional power of stage 2

The car hasn't needed anything else other than oil, filters and gas. I drive the car aggressively, every day of the week and it hasn't made a single hickup other than the clutch replacement, which most likely would have been avoided if I had not tuned the car.

I'm very satisfied with my purchase and my dealer has been nothing but amazing

Vehicles
      Z4 M Roadster
      07-05-2012 02:38 PM #28
      Pros:
      + racecar

Cons:
      - doesn't suck

Vehicles
      '13 Golf R 4dr CSG
      07-05-2012 02:58 PM #29
      You are thinking about this decision way too hard re: who VW is marketing to, etc. As mentioned above, if you are looking for sporting performance without breaking the bank (depending on how big your bank account is)...the GTI is one of several options you should consider. At the same time you need to identify what is important to you = absolute speed, handling, fuel economy, interior, transmission.

I test drove a GTI and liked it....a lot. Fun performance, nice interior, smooth shifting manual (and DSG is among the best manu-matics), well-behaved and comfortable enough to be a good daily driver. I ended up buying a TDI because for me the TDI has sporty performance (including diesel torque) and much better fuel economy....and fuel economy was very important to me. The GTI can't really be considered frugal on fuel any more, particularly with many non-hybrid new car models approaching high 30s MPG highway.

My $0.02.

2013 4 Door R - CSG

30. 07-05-2012 04:59 PM #30
      From a DIYers perspective, the only expensive part about repairing these cars is buying the specialty tools - or finding them.

They're quite simple to work on if you've got a full set of torx bits, and some triple square bits. You can do all the work yourself or pay vw to do it for you, doesn't matter.

In the end, the whole reliability electrical horror stories and all that mumbojumbo comes from the mk3-4 cars. VW has done a pretty good job of upping the quality of work put into these cars and it shows. They're dead reliable, even when modded.
      Quote Originally Posted by TechEd View Post
      Long-story-short: Outie5000 is right on all accounts.

Vehicles
      2012 GTI 4-Door DSG / 2002 Jetta 1.8T
      07-05-2012 05:18 PM #31
      I agree with this. People way overthink stuff. Test drive the car, if you like how it looks and feels, buy it. That's what I did. My GTI is my family's 3rd VW and a JSW is going to be my wife's next car.

I have worked with German cars in the dealership capacity since 1999 (BMW, Mercedes-Benz, now VW) and I absolutely love them. As far as dealerships go, I can honestly say we're not all crooks. You just have to find one that is honest and reliable.