Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Official 2012 Formula 1 Santander British Grand Prix

1. 07-08-2012 09:38 PM #36
      Pastor is 10,000 Euros lighter and also received a smack on the bottom. I don't know if he is paid enough for that to make a difference or not.
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

2. 07-08-2012 10:12 PM #37
      Pastor got a 25,000 fine. Kobayashi got the 10,000 one
      Dale GT: AllHighOnLife
      1991 BMW E30 Touring

3. 07-08-2012 11:31 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by A3VWGOLF View Post
      Pastor got a 25,000 fine. Kobayashi got the 10,000 one
      Autosport is reporting the opposite.
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

Vehicles
      An imaginary one
      07-08-2012 11:36 PM #39
      Official F1 website states:
      Maldonado was adjudged to have caused his collision with Sergio Perez, which led to the Sauber driver’s retirement, and due to the seriousness of the incident received a double penalty in the form of a reprimand and a 25,000 euro fine.

Kobayashi overshot his pit box during a stop, knocking over three Sauber mechanics. Thankfully none was seriously injured, but stewards fined the Japanese driver 10,000 euro for ‘a very dangerous manoeuvre which had potentially serious implications’.

5. 07-08-2012 11:44 PM #40
      OK, so Autosport got it backwards.

Maldonado fined, reprimanded for Perez incident during the British GP
      By Jonathan Noble Sunday, July 8th 2012, 16:34 GMT

Pastor Maldonado was handed a 10,000 Euro fine and given a reprimand by the race stewards for his part in a collision with Sergio Perez during the British Grand Prix.

Perez was left furious after the coming-together - urging the FIA to teach Maldonado a lesson following a spate of crashes so far this season.

But after a detailed look at the incident on Sunday, the stewards elected to fine the Williams driver instead.

A statement issued by the stewards said Maldonado was guilty of causing a collision, and because of the serious nature of the incident it was decided he would be hit with two penalties.

Maldonado said the crash with Perez had not been deliberate, and that he had simply lost control of the car on the entry to the corner.

"I think it was unlucky this time because I lost the car on the entry to the corner, right on the apex with the front and then the rear," he told AUTOSPORT.

"It was before I got to the kerb, and it was after I came out of the pits with DRS open. I did the braking on DRS, and I even braked before my normal braking point, and the reason [for the accident is] I think because the angle I had on the inside of the corner was not enough for the tyre conditions."

Kobayashi fined 25,000 Euro for his incident in the pits during the British Grand Prix
      By Pablo Elizalde Sunday, July 8th 2012, 16:37 GMT

Kamui Kobayashi has been fined 25,000 Euro for his incident in the pits during the British Grand Prix.

The Japanese Sauber driver braked too late when coming in for his second pitstop and knocked down three of his mechanics. None were seriously injured.

The FIA decided to impose a fine on Kobayashi for an "unsafe manoeuvre in the pits".

"The accident was my fault and I want to apologise to the team," said Kobayashi. "Of course I had to push hard for points, but without doubt I braked too late in the pitlane.

"The front wheels locked, I couldn't control the car, and this is how I overshot the pit box. I am terribly sorry this happened, and I hope the three mechanics I hit get well soon."

6. 07-09-2012 09:02 AM #41
      remember when the 2012 cars were revealed and everyone made fun at the noses and said mclaren were the most gorgeous cars in the world and they will stomp on everybody bla bla bla...... does everyone remember....

lewis' words below...

You've got to look at the cars in detail - just look at them and ours look different from the others."

And, taking a quick look at the McLaren in relation to its rivals, the most notable difference is the car's nose as the MP4-27 does not feature the stubby boxer nose.

"That's a significant difference," Hamilton continued.

"I'm not an aerodynamicist but there's got to be something there, so that's what we're looking at for this car, but also for next year's car.

"It is too big a change for this season.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      '04 Bugatti wagon, '85 V65 Sabre
      07-09-2012 09:49 AM #42
      Dude, not that i'm into Hamilton bashing at the moment (all the fanbois have left this building anyways and the Hamilton report is dying another slow death ), but McLaren is in a real funk. Can't believe how they've dropped off.
      Form is temporary; Class is permanent

Vehicles
      2010 VW Passat B6 Wagon
      07-09-2012 10:08 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by kfzmeister View Post
      Dude, not that i'm into Hamilton bashing at the moment (all the fanbois have left this building anyways and the Hamilton report is dying another slow death ), but McLaren is in a real funk. Can't believe how they've dropped off.
      Hammie has always been truthful with how he feels the team and car are performing - a welcomed sight in F1 IMO. Right now the car seems to be dropping off the pace with each successive race. Perhaps they have gotten to the end of the viable improvements without drastically changing the car and no team wants to put that kind of resource into a car half way through the season. What I did find a little funny was that Hammie felt the need to radio the team that Roman was breathing down his neck and had to be reminded of his own strategy and to do his best to keep Roman behind him.

Maldenado is a chump...that's two races now where he has rammed other drivers off the road. Yes, he got penalized for both incidences, but he is the only driver it seems that cannot recognize when to give up the corner. I was surprised that Perez held back as much as he did in the interview about the incident.

Alonso drove one hell of a race, but it was only a matter of time before Webber passed him. Webber is a different beast at Silverstone like Hammie is at Canada. However, it seems that Ferrari have found their stride as Massa was up in the points too! Kimi and roman had a great race too...especially Roman! Does anyone think that Renault can win this season? The media seem to think it's just a matter of time, but they seem to screw it up somehow with either bad luck or making their own mistakes.

Vehicles
      Mk5 Wabbit
      07-09-2012 10:21 AM #44
      yup pretty fun race overall. Was fun to see Lewis vs. Alonso back and forth.

And I agree with what was posted earlier, Ferrari could've gone longer with Alonso's first stint but I think he could've been stuck behind slower cars because of that. Either way, great run by Webber to keep pace and bring the fight towards the end.

Sucks for Lewis and Jensen this weekend - wonder if they were betting on rain during the race and had their aero setup accordingly... Lotus is a beastly car! They're fast!! I'm looking forward to seeing their first win come, soon. Their development pace is also up there with the other big teams (well, better than Merc and McL at this point).

Pastor - no wonder other drivers weren't too happy when he won in Barcelona. A few drivers at that point came out publicly about the "lottery" situation.

10. 07-09-2012 01:35 PM #45
      Grosjean did awesome, going to the back of the pack and working his was up to 6th. Really it's a matter of time before one of them gets a win.

Did anyone see that opening video from Fox? That was damn hilarious. I can't find it online though.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      07-09-2012 03:28 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by Binary Star View Post
      Was fun to see Lewis vs. Alonso back and forth.
      I thoroughly enjoyed Alonso leaving Hamilton behind like that. Not sure why Hamilton even tried to race. No way he was gonna keep him behind. I was just as excited when Schumacher easily went by him as well towards the end.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Mazda CX-9 Zoom zoom
      07-09-2012 04:36 PM #47
      I thoroughly enjoyed Alonso leaving Hamilton behind like that. Not sure why Hamilton even tried to race. No way he was gonna keep him behind. I was just as excited when Schumacher easily went by him as well towards the end.
      I dont know if its true, but I heard that Michael did not have "kers" in Silverstone?

Vehicles
      Mk5 Wabbit
      07-09-2012 04:53 PM #48
      I thoroughly enjoyed Alonso leaving Hamilton behind like that. Not sure why Hamilton even tried to race.
      Because it's Alonso!

Vehicles
      An imaginary one
      07-09-2012 05:35 PM #49
      Why wouldn't he try to race? That's why he's out there. He could have forced Alonso into a potentially race-ending error.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      07-09-2012 05:55 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by nickthaskater View Post
      Why wouldn't he try to race? That's why he's out there. He could have forced Alonso into a potentially race-ending error.
      You remember how "tryin to race " cost him at Valencia?
      He's now 37 points behind WDC leader......

16. 07-09-2012 06:05 PM #51

Vehicles
      An imaginary one
      07-09-2012 06:07 PM #52
      Remember how Alonso has a brain and some talent for racing relative to Maldonado? I don't see anyone talking about needing to suspend the Fonz.

Vehicles
      '01 B5.5 wagon, '81 Scirocco, '04 FXDWG and too many A1,2, & 3 cars to remember. '93 Miata for S&G
      07-09-2012 08:46 PM #53
      Wouldn't have seen this if kfz hadn't quoted it. I guess you have a short memory. You weren't quite so kind to NK as why he is on the track.

And just for the record, if you're that much slower, and trying to force another driver into a 'race-ending error', you really shouldn't be on the track.

Quote Originally Posted by kfz
      And he's 4th in the standings!

Vehicles
      Mk5 Wabbit
      07-09-2012 08:55 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Racer View Post
      You weren't quite so kind to NK as why he is on the track.

Vehicles
      An imaginary one
      07-09-2012 08:58 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Racer View Post
      Wouldn't have seen this if kfz hadn't quoted it. I guess you have a short memory. You weren't quite so kind to NK as why he is on the track.

And just for the record, if you're that much slower, and trying to force another driver into a 'race-ending error', you really shouldn't be on the track.

And he's 4th in the standings!
      Really? You're comparing Karthikeyan running 1+ laps down to Hamilton fighting for position against a fellow title contender? Jesus Christ.

Vehicles
      2004 Audi S4, 08 Wolfy
      07-09-2012 11:53 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by rscshakespeare View Post
      remember when the 2012 cars were revealed and everyone made fun at the noses and said mclaren were the most gorgeous cars in the world and they will stomp on everybody bla bla bla...... does everyone remember....
      Ouch...that hurts

McLaren looked extremely strong at the beginning of the season, but it seems like their pace slackened when they tried to implement the platypus design on the MP4-27. I believe Hamilton is right, he isn't an aerodynamicist. The nose is just one component of the car. When the designers model the car, they design the nose of the car for front end grip and to feed the rest of the car with clean laminar flowing air for overall good balance. It might be in the case of McLaren that there car was setup very well for the original nose design, but now they are struggling to get the upgrades necessary to get the car to work properly with the platypus nose.

Hamilton seems like the kind of driver that can get the best out of a bad car, but after watching this race he didn't look like he could do anything. Maybe the car was had a wet setup but then again I bet most of the cars in the field had a wet setup for the race.

I would like to echo the comments on the Alonso/Hamilton battle. That was great! IMHO, Alonso was going to stick it to Hamilton no matter what and Hamilton wasn't going to give in. They werent racing for position, it was respect B!tch! Nice guys don't win WDC's.

Speaking of nice guys, perez was very courteous to only call Maldonado a "stupid driver". I don't know what he was thinking? Just run into the competition to guard your track position? Maldonado needs to get in touch with Montoya about a drive in NASCRAP. He can run into all the drivers he wants.

I think it's time to start the Webber for WDC chant and see if Red Bull will favor him over Vettel just because he is higher up in the points standings.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      07-10-2012 08:32 AM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by 24vEngineer View Post

Hamilton seems like the kind of driver that can get the best out of a bad car.
      Uhhhhm,.....NO! He's actually the kind of driver that needs a superior car. Just like Vettel.

23. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2007 Mini Cooper S, 2006 Mazda6 GT wagon, 2007 Mazda3 GT sedan
      07-10-2012 08:56 AM #58
      Uhhhhm,.....NO! He's actually the kind of driver that needs a superior car. Just like Vettel.
      Hamilton can certainly do better than Jenson can with a bad car.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      07-10-2012 10:30 AM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by Oliver@triplezoom View Post
      That's not saying much.

Vehicles
      2010 VW Passat B6 Wagon
      07-10-2012 10:37 AM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by Oliver@triplezoom View Post
      You go that right!

Jenson is a driver that can protect a car very well, but can't seem to extract pace from a bad car. This season proves it. the McLaren seems to be a car that had it all going right at the start of the season, but had little room for development compared to their competitors. It still is the best looking car, but sometimes beauty doesn't come first. Sometimes the ugly, I mean slutty one's do! Somewhere this season the other teams found some serious areas for improvements that left McLaren scratching their heads and it didn't help with their pit stop blunders that threw away good points.

26. 07-10-2012 11:19 AM #61
      it would be nice for webber to win the championship. towards the end of his career would certainly make retirement better. it would be nice for massa one day as well and not have to think about losing out by one point to hamilton all his retirement. i do think however that vettel will start kicking butt again and you will see he will be fighting for the championship or even start walking away with it in the coming races.

27. Member
      Vehicles
      07-10-2012 12:09 PM #62
      it would be nice for webber to win the championship.
      Looks like he just signed with RB for another year.

Vehicles
      2004 Audi S4, 08 Wolfy
      07-10-2012 02:42 PM #63
      i do think however that vettel will start kicking butt again and you will see he will be fighting for the championship or even start walking away with it in the coming races.
      I'm not so sure about that...I think it's going to be a street fight all the way down to the end with Alonso/Webbo/Vettel and KIMI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vehicles
      An imaginary one
      07-10-2012 03:17 PM #64
      Grosjean looks more of a threat than Kimi, and I don't mean just as a rolling ram rod.

I can definitely see this coming down to be a replay of 2010, hopefully with the same outcome

Vehicles
      2004 Audi S4, 08 Wolfy
      07-10-2012 03:37 PM #65
      Grosjean looks more of a threat than Kimi, and I don't mean just as a rolling ram rod.

I can definitely see this coming down to be a replay of 2010, hopefully with the same outcome
      RoGro drove an amazing race and my hat is off to him, but with a season plagued by so much bad luck I think it will be hard to play catch up unless he starts winning races.

If you look at the points:
      2012 FORMULA 1 STANDINGS
      Drivers' Championship
      1. F. Alonso 129 13. F. Massa 23
      2. M. Webber 116 14. K. Kobayashi 21
      3. S. Vettel 100 15. B. Senna 18
      4. L. Hamilton 92 16. N. Hulkenberg 17
      5. K. Raikkonen 83 17. J. Vergne 4
      6. N. Rosberg 75 18. D. Ricciardo 2
      7. R. Grosjean 61 19. H. Kovalainen 0
      8. J. Button 50 20. V. Petrov 0
      9. S. Perez 39 21. T. Glock 0
      10. P. Maldonado 29 22. C. Pic 0
      11. P. di Resta 27 23. N. Karthikeyan 0
      12. M. Schumacher 23 24. P. de la Rosa 0

RoGro has less than half of Alonso's points so he would need to win at least 3 races to haul himself into contention and that's not saying how Alonso, Webber, Vettel, Hamilton, and Kimi would finish.

Vehicles
      An imaginary one
      07-10-2012 04:07 PM #66
      RoGro drove an amazing race and my hat is off to him, but with a season plagued by so much bad luck I think it will be hard to play catch up unless he starts winning races.

If you look at the points:
      2012 FORMULA 1 STANDINGS
      Drivers' Championship
      1. F. Alonso 129 13. F. Massa 23
      2. M. Webber 116 14. K. Kobayashi 21
      3. S. Vettel 100 15. B. Senna 18
      4. L. Hamilton 92 16. N. Hulkenberg 17
      5. K. Raikkonen 83 17. J. Vergne 4
      6. N. Rosberg 75 18. D. Ricciardo 2
      7. R. Grosjean 61 19. H. Kovalainen 0
      8. J. Button 50 20. V. Petrov 0
      9. S. Perez 39 21. T. Glock 0
      10. P. Maldonado 29 22. C. Pic 0
      11. P. di Resta 27 23. N. Karthikeyan 0
      12. M. Schumacher 23 24. P. de la Rosa 0

RoGro has less than half of Alonso's points so he would need to win at least 3 races to haul himself into contention and that's not saying how Alonso, Webber, Vettel, Hamilton, and Kimi would finish.
      I wasnt saying Grosjean would be a contender, I just think he's a bigger threat than Kimi; Kimi doesn't even seem like he's trying half the time. To be clear, I don't see either Lotus being a contender, rather it'll be a 4-way fight with Alonso, Webber, Hamilton and Vettel, as usual.

Vehicles
      2004 VW R32
      07-10-2012 04:41 PM #67
      I wasnt saying Grosjean would be a contender, I just think he's a bigger threat than Kimi; Kimi doesn't even seem like he's trying half the time. To be clear, I don't see either Lotus being a contender, rather it'll be a 4-way fight with Alonso, Webber, Hamilton and Vettel, as usual.
      If Kimi is not trying, I feel sorry for the rest of the field when he decides to actually start trying. To be clear, Kimi has more points than Grosjean (which means he is having a better season so far regardless of whether or not he is trying), therefore he is more of a threat.
      PSN: gospracrgo

Vehicles
      An imaginary one
      07-10-2012 04:54 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by rrr rr View Post
      If Kimi is not trying, I feel sorry for the rest of the field when he decides to actually start trying. To be clear, Kimi has more points than Grosjean (which means he is having a better season so far regardless of whether or not he is trying), therefore he is more of a threat.
      When Kimi is "on" he's next to untouchable, it's just in recent years he doesn't seem to have the same drive, which is why he left F1 in the first place.

The fact that Grosjean is as close to Kimi as he is despite his self-destructive behaviour is a pretty clear indication the Kimi is underperfoming relative to what I feel is his true potential (harken back to his McLaren days for examples of what I'm referring to).

34. Member
      Vehicles
      07-10-2012 05:05 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by rrr rr View Post
      Ding, ding, ding......
      We have a winner.

35. Member
      Vehicles
      07-10-2012 05:06 PM #70
      I'm not so sure about that...I think it's going to be a street fight all the way down to the end with Alonso/Webbo/Vettel and KIMI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      And that is why i absolutely MUST find a way to Austin this year!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast