Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: P0722 Output Speed Sensor 5pd Tiptronic 2003 Jetta 1.8T

Vehicles
      98 Jetta 2.0 / 2013 Yellow TDI Beetle / RIP 2003 Jetta 1.8T
      07-05-2012 03:26 PM #1
      I already checked the DIYs and I don't see anything for this.

I also checked this previous forum post:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...t+speed+sensor

I am having the EXACT same issues. It is getting progressively worse.

What I noticed: When I allow the vehicle to warm all the way up 190 temp. I NEVER have any issues with it. I only got the PO722 code once.

Who I called: I spoke to a repair shop I trust and I do trust my dealer to an extent... Both said to check the 'wiring harness on the outside of the transmission' Does anyone know where this is? I had a coolant leak that might have corroded some of the connectors and they might just need to be cleaned, per the repair shop and the dealer.

ALSO: If you paid for this repair ( sensor replacement IN transmission ) what did you pay for it and who did you take it to?
      -Yep, thats right, I'm a girl-

Its a wolfsburg thing, you wouldn't understand.

Vehicles
      07-05-2012 09:25 PM #2
      1.8t tiptronic transmission. The odd thing about it is that it never does the slamming into gears if I let the vehicle warm up to operating temperature. Today I drove the car from dead cold and the trans stayed in limp mode. It would not go into 5th gear. Went into the bank came back out 10 minutes later, got in the car an it had zero issues again. Went into 5th gear fine. The only time I have issues is if I jump in the car and just take off without letting it warm up. I only got the p0722 error once and it's not given me any more fault codes. Scanned it today after it was in limp mode and it came back clean. I got a wiring diagram from the dealer ( after they told me to replace the trans because they won't open the transmission ). I'm in Phoenix az so tonight after the sun goes down and the car cools enough I'm going to check the connectors to the wiring harness outside of the car. From what I can tell the wiring connectors to the harness are right under the coolant junction hose which I had dump boiling coolant on 4-5 times when I repaired the seal in the junction myself. It's possible it's just a loose or gummed up connector... I'll check it tonight. Otherwise I have an appointment with a transmission shop that will check the wiring and connectors for free... Guess well see what they come up with if I am empty handed..

Vehicles
      07-08-2012 07:10 PM #3
      Bump

Vehicles
      07-15-2012 12:11 AM #4
      Lol. This might happen at this point.

The issues have evolved. The speedo now intermittently drops to zero and then bounces back up. It has not completely stopped working. Do you happen to know where this is located? Dealer is telling me its outside, however I am not sure where it is and neither are they. :|

Without pulling the airbox and the battery/battery plate out I see three different connectors on the front side of the trans facing the radiator fans. I am not seeing anything on the DIYs about where this is located. I have the 09A trans as well.

I found a friend of a friend who is going to dyno and vagcom the car for free to tell me what it is/isn't so I am not spending a **** load of money on NOTHING. Though, he is pretty sure its the G68 sensor - and if this is the case he'll pull the trans replace the internal wiring harness and all three sensors G68, G182, and temp sensor for 1400.00 ( not bad considering... ).

Visually I see nothing wrong with the external wiring harness. I'm gonna walk outside and take a picture under the hood to show you what I am seeing, maybe you can tell me what they are.

Here are some images. Its dark I know. But any ideas?
      Last edited by midorialexandros; 07-15-2012 at 12:17 AM.

Vehicles
      07-15-2012 03:45 PM #5
      sunday bump

Vehicles
      09-17-2012 07:42 PM #6
      The strange thing that my car does that no one else's seems to do ( of the two other people experiencing the exact same problems and troubleshooting steps ) is that the shifting intermittently gets better and/or worse. There are times when I am trying to drive the car ( no 5th gear in over two weeks now ) that it seems to try downshifting before upshifting when I am accelerating or decelerating depending on what I am doing at the time. The kicks are hard, so bad that the whole car shudders and lurches. To get the car to IMMEDIATELY stop shifting THAT bad I simply pull over, turn the car off, wait 30 seconds with the key removed, start it back up and the hard shifts stop, it still has the speedo problems and still shifts poorly - but the varying degrees in the poor performance are night and day. I am being told its the TCM. The wires have not been traced - but nothing is damaged and everything is testing good that has been checked. I am apprehensive about collecting the TCM. Its good that it does not have to be flash on replacement though.

Thoughts?

7. Member
      09-17-2012 08:39 PM #7
      Sounds like you need this..http://cobratransmission.com/index.p...e_solenoid_kit

I tried finding the thread about the shift solenoid problem, but couldn't find it. Try searching 09A shift solenoid and other related terms. I found it a while back when I thought I was having trans issues but tuned out to be my MAF sensor causing havoc. The thread describes all the symptoms your having and more...and the solenoid kit cured them all.

Vehicles
      09-17-2012 08:41 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Robyone View Post
      Sounds like you need this..http://cobratransmission.com/index.p...e_solenoid_kit

I tried finding the thread about the shift solenoid problem, but couldn't find it. Try searching 09A shift solenoid and other related terms. I found it a while back when I thought I was having trans issues but tuned out to be my MAF sensor causing havoc. The thread describes all the symptoms your having and more...and the solenoid kit cured them all.
      The temperature of the vehicle doesn't effect the problems it has at all. I was also informed that the solenoids and valve body appeared to be working okay after they checked them?

9. Member
      09-17-2012 08:58 PM #9
      That was 1 of the main points of the thread, that the solenoids still check out in terms of resistance and throw no codes. It's the internal rubber diaphragm that causes the failure and the computer can't see it....find that thread, 09a related topics.

10. Member
      09-17-2012 09:06 PM #10
      Here it is.. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...t=09a+solenoid

Read the entire thread.

Vehicles
      09-17-2012 10:37 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Robyone View Post
      Here it is.. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...t=09a+solenoid

Read the entire thread.
      Sweet thanks for the link. I'll read it

Vehicles
      09-29-2012 07:47 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by midorialexandros View Post
      Sweet thanks for the link. I'll read it
      ***I have resolved this issue***

I hope this thread might help others struggling with discovering the actual problem their vehicle is having. My issues started off with bad shifting, the speedo going crazy, the speedo also froze between shifts, I could go on and on about all the things it was doing. I was getting P0722 error codes, basically they car didn't know WHEN to shift so it was very difficult to drive at times. After a while turning the car off and letting it sit for 30 seconds or so and turning it back on really helped lessen the issues we saw. ( power cycled the computers ) Because of the P0722 error, I had the speed sensors replaced by a shop that said they thought that was the problem. WRONG. It did not fix the issue. I paid 1500 to replace the speed sensors as there are no external sensors on this car. The transmission has to be dropped out of the car to get to them. After spending about 200 at another shop, one that specialized in diagnostics ( they tried to help me out ) they determined the issue had to be the TCM.

I spent two weeks looking for the right replacement TCM. Found one out of a Jetta that was being parted out because the transmission failed and the owner didn't want to replace it. We replaced the TCM and I am happy to report this has resolved all the problems I was having.

I did not check the pins on the wires before I got the TCM. However - Replacing the TCM fixed my issues. We drove it after the replacement and immediately noticed when I put the car in reverse that the speedo began showing numbers ( before completely unresponsive in reverse ). Got on the main street and hit the accelerator - all gears perfect shifting and immediately went into 5th gear. Prior to the replacement we had no 5th gear and the shifting patterns were horrible intermittently. Drove it 10 miles and then went back and had the throttle position set, kick down set, and trans put in learning mode. All is well. My buddy noted that there were now codes stored in the ECU indicating that the TCM has been signaling intermittent faults. I am not sure when this happened because the last time I had it read, about a month or so ago, there were no TCM codes.

Car is absolutely perfect. Night and day from the moment we replaced the TCM this morning. The speedo also no longer freezes between shifts, where it did before. All's well that ends well I suppose. Better I only paid 150 than 780 the stealership wanted.

***GOOD LUCK***