Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Planning out my home theater..What do you think?

1. Member
      07-05-2012 04:46 PM #1
      So I am going to start and build my home theater setup...I need it to be versatile because I watch some movies, a lot of sports and listen to a ton of music. This is going to be my first built setup. What are you thoughts of the setup and any possible recommendations.

Here is what I am going to start with:
      Yamaha Rx-V671 7.1 for the receiver
      then 2 B&W 684B for the fronts

Then a few months down the road:
      B&W center channel speaker CMCCGB
      Definitive Technology super cube sub

And about a year down the road
      B&W bookshelf speakers for the rear 686B
      2011 GTI 4dr Candy white
      2011 Tiguan
      2003 GTI 1.8T (sol)
      2005 C55 AMG (Sold)

Vehicles
      2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
      07-05-2012 07:59 PM #2
      I am not that familiar with B&W speakers but make sure that the center channel is a good as the L/R ones, it is your MAIN speaker for movies. For wire, I had great success with home network solutions (.com), a great source for wire & connector.
      Last edited by Phil Pugliese; 07-05-2012 at 08:02 PM.
      CLICK * POINT * CHUTE

3. Member
      07-06-2012 09:42 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Phil Pugliese View Post
      I am not that familiar with B&W speakers but make sure that the center channel is a good as the L/R ones, it is your MAIN speaker for movies. For wire, I had great success with home network solutions (.com), a great source for wire & connector.
      B&W is bowers and wilkins check them out. They make some good stuff.

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speake...eries/684.html

Yes the center channel will be from the same series of the floor speakers.
      http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speake...CM-Centre.html

Thank you for the website info. I here speaker wire is very very important to quality sound.
      2011 GTI 4dr Candy white
      2011 Tiguan
      2003 GTI 1.8T (sol)
      2005 C55 AMG (Sold)

Vehicles
      2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
      07-06-2012 09:47 AM #4
      I know B&W are quality, I just wasn't that familiar with their particular series.
      CLICK * POINT * CHUTE

5. 07-06-2012 03:47 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by dub_Luvin View Post

Thank you for the website info. I here speaker wire is very very important to quality sound.
      You hear wrong. Unless it is damaged or of super small gauge, speaker wire will make no difference to your sound quality.

Do you work for Best Buy?

6. 07-07-2012 01:54 PM #6
      So I am going to start and build my home theater setup...I need it to be versatile because I watch some movies, a lot of sports and listen to a ton of music. ......blah blah blah.......Definitive Technology super cube sub.............
      You are spending in the $550 range for your fronts, you can do a LOT better than a Def Tech Cube in the $600price range for subs for movies + music. Hsu VTF-2 Mk.4 fits right in.
      http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk4.html

If you are serious about doing it right from the beginning I would suggest putting in $200 more to your sub budget and look for a Hsu VTF-3 Mk.4 (SVS PB-12 NSD might be at the top end but still worth considering).
      http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk4.html
      Last edited by ambat; 07-07-2012 at 01:58 PM.

7. Member
      07-13-2012 01:33 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by osiris View Post
      You hear wrong. Unless it is damaged or of super small gauge, speaker wire will make no difference to your sound quality.

Do you work for Best Buy?
      Ok maybe I should of been more specific so you didn't leave a D-Bag comment. Yes using the proper gauge and ensuring the wire is more copper than fillers is important.
      2011 GTI 4dr Candy white
      2011 Tiguan
      2003 GTI 1.8T (sol)
      2005 C55 AMG (Sold)

8. Member
      07-13-2012 01:37 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by ambat View Post
      You are spending in the $550 range for your fronts, you can do a LOT better than a Def Tech Cube in the $600price range for subs for movies + music. Hsu VTF-2 Mk.4 fits right in.
      http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk4.html

If you are serious about doing it right from the beginning I would suggest putting in $200 more to your sub budget and look for a Hsu VTF-3 Mk.4 (SVS PB-12 NSD might be at the top end but still worth considering).
      http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk4.html
      Thank you for the recommendations. Are they sold anywhere so I can hear them before I buy one? I will look into them for sure.
      2011 GTI 4dr Candy white
      2011 Tiguan
      2003 GTI 1.8T (sol)
      2005 C55 AMG (Sold)

9. 07-14-2012 01:05 PM #9
      Thank you for the recommendations. Are they sold anywhere so I can hear them before I buy one? I will look into them for sure.
      You can call Hsu and SVS directly and see if they have any dealers in your area or ask your local HT/high end AV shops if they carry them.

10. 07-17-2012 08:32 PM #10
      Ok maybe I should of been more specific so you didn't leave a D-Bag comment. Yes using the proper gauge and ensuring the wire is more copper than fillers is important.

The question about Best Buy was serious, as all of the products you mentioned are sold there. You would also need to put a lot of effort into finding speaker wire that is not nearly 100% copper.

11. Member
      08-02-2012 01:09 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by osiris View Post

The question about Best Buy was serious, as all of the products you mentioned are sold there. You would also need to put a lot of effort into finding speaker wire that is not nearly 100% copper.
      Unfortunately the main high end shop in our area (Myer-Emco) closed down so I did my own research and came up with that setup. Yes Best Buy is the only place in my area that carries B&W speakers. I do not talk to folks that work at best buy, I would rather read and see what others have said about the products I am looking into. Is there somewhere else that carries B&W that I can go to?
      2011 GTI 4dr Candy white
      2011 Tiguan
      2003 GTI 1.8T (sol)
      2005 C55 AMG (Sold)

Vehicles
      93 LX 5.0, 00 GTI vr6 / 99 R6 / 20th / 08 R32 / 06 is350 / 08 M3 / 11 GTI Autobahn, + more
      09-17-2012 07:22 PM #12
      What do you like about the yamaha AV receiver? Just always curious when people choose something over pioneer elite avrs

13. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2003 Jetta GLI VR6, 2009 Monster 696
      09-25-2012 03:21 PM #13
      I can't comment on those specific speakers.
      However, I have been running a full B&W surround setup for about 8 years now and love them.
      I wanted something that would work for TV/Movies as well as pure music playback.
      I have the 603 floor standing speakers in front and 602's in the back. If I recall both are S3 versions (sorry I don't memorize this stuff). I have the matching center and a sub.

No regrets. Sadly, you can't listen to them prior to purchase. As has been stated many times in these threads, everyone has different opinions of what sounds good. My opinion is that B&W are fantastic.

As a side, I originally had some 300 series speakers which I loved prior to needing new speakers and purchasing the ones I currently have.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 VW CC Sport Reflex Silver
      11-14-2012 05:18 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by greasyginzo View Post
      What do you like about the yamaha AV receiver? Just always curious when people choose something over pioneer elite avrs
      I was in the same boat up until a few days ago. I have an Elite SC-35 and Elite VSX-90TXV both are OUTSTANDING receivers. I went to a custom setup shop in Jacksonville Fl called house of stereo with a friend who was looking to get into the HIFI audio world. He doesnt quite get the whole deal and sets arbitrary price limits on stuff not knowing where to start but they recomended a set of Phase technology V626 Towers and demoed them. they were hooked up to a Yamaha Natural Sound AVR (dont remember the model number but somehwere in the $400.00 range) and ARCAM DVD player and my god was i blown away. especially for the price he quoted. somewhere in the neighborhood of $650 i believe for the speakers (pair!) and like i said $400.00 for the AVR.

I have Monitor Audio Silver RX line of speakers hooked up to my SC-35 and they will pretty much suit any need as they are incredibly efficient and very clean and smooth but i think their may be something to this yamaha/phase/Arcam setup that i might have to look into for a critical listening setup in my next place!
      Last edited by martinelles; 11-14-2012 at 05:30 PM.
      fog light mod (almost complete). euro headlight switch, euro cup holder, 2013 CC door sills, 35% tint