Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 1.8l 16v performance parts

1. 07-05-2012 11:44 PM #1
      im new to the VW scene and i wanted to know what i can do to my engine to get some more power out of it and its my daily so i cant get to crazy. im just looking for a little more and still be reliable to drive everyday thanks

Vehicles
      1991 Jetta 16v, 1986 Jetta 8v, 1998 GTI VR6, 2003 GMC 1500
      07-06-2012 01:39 AM #2
      K&N airfilter
      drill the air box
      remove snorkle piece in front of airbox (if somebody hasn't already)
      lightened flywheel
      peloquin limited slip kit
      short shifter
      intake cam or cam set
      tuned exhaust
      header
      adjustable aluminum cam pulley
      fuel enrichment module (You can't chip a 1.8 16v unfortunately)
      low temp thermostat and thermostat switch (colder motor makes more power)

Vehicles
      MKII Race Car
      07-06-2012 01:43 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by 91JET16V View Post
      K&N airfilter
      drill the air box
      lightened flywheel
      peloquin limited slip kit
      short shifter
      intake cam or cam set
      tuned exhaust
      header
      adjustable aluminum cam pulley
      low temp thermostat and thermostat switch (colder motor makes more power)
      K&N airfilter yes
      drill the air box useless
      lightened flywheel might as well add a nice clutch
      peloquin limited slip kit no point with low power and cheap tires
      short shifter wont make the car any faster
      intake cam or cam set full set
      tuned exhaust not the cheap crap
      header tt catless
      adjustable aluminum cam pulley no point
      low temp thermostat and thermostat switch (colder motor makes more power) cools yes, more power-no

my advice: head work, cams, full exhaust, strip the car to remove weight, nice tires and light wheels.
      OIF 06-07: Hospital Corpsman FMF. Al Habbaniyah, Al-Anbar Province, Iraq.
      Mk2 Performance and OEM parts for sale.
      Project Гольф Мк2 (R1 Carbed)
      Carbs wiring diagrams

Vehicles
      07-06-2012 02:47 PM #4
      K&N airfilter yes
      drill the air box useless (everyone recommends it, if you had the option of not having your airfilter inside a box you would opt for that wouldn't you?)

lightened flywheel (might as well add a nice clutch) Since we're nitpicken how does a better then stock clutch speed things up?

peloquin limited slip kit no point with low power and cheap tires, (leaves the line faster, handles better in snow, and yeah makes a difference even without having Z rated sticky tires, and for $100 it's a no-brainer)

short shifter wont make the car any faster (If I race you with a short shifter, you have a normal shifter, I will shift faster then you and beat you, that would make the car faster right?)

intake cam or cam set (full set) Full set is spendy, give the guy some options

tuned exhaust not the cheap crap

header tt catless (might need to worry about emissions where he is)

adjustable aluminum cam pulley no point (lighter weight and lets you adjust where the power comes on, especially with aftermarket cams)

low temp thermostat and thermostat switch (colder motor makes more power) cools yes, more power-no (plenty of people disagree with that statement, see link below)

http://forums.fourtitude.com/showthr...6#post48326435

my advice: head work, cams, full exhaust, strip the car to remove weight, nice tires and light wheels.

Drag racing my 8v Golf I would beat higher HP 16v's to the 60 ft mark, you can't say that a limited slip kit and short shifter don't make the car faster.

5. 07-06-2012 09:19 PM #5
      Thanks for the info guys. What do you guys think about the 50mm intake manifold?

Vehicles
      07-07-2012 02:23 AM #6
      Found this on Vortex "It was released in europe on the early 16vs. VW recalled it to put a better 40mm intake manifold on to improve low end torque. That's why they are rare - it's the old recalled part."

"All 1.8l 16v came with the 40mm manifold from the factory. However the 2.0l 16v came with the 42mm manifolds. You can usually tell that it is 40mm if the 4 tubes become slightly skinnier as it heads up to the throttle body part. 50mm intake manifolds where found on european 16v, they are available from Autotech, and other places. So your car should have a 40mm intake as long as it is a 1.8l 16v, and was never changed.

I have a 42mm manifold, car came to me that way, I don't know the difference. From what I read other people didn't think it was worth doing if it cost you money, for the small difference between 40 and 42mm.

From what I've read the 50mm gives you power up high, at the cost of low end torque. The 1.8 already isn't the torque monster that the 2.0 is, so personally I wouldn't want to give up low end power for high end.

Vehicles
      1987 VW Golf
      07-07-2012 06:49 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Egon21 View Post
      im new to the VW scene and i wanted to know what i can do to my engine to get some more power out of it and its my daily so i cant get to crazy. im just looking for a little more and still be reliable to drive everyday thanks
      I'll help a little:

K&N Filter (like everyone else is saying)
      ABD Intake Pipe (won't really make that much power, but helps the engine breath a little better)
      Exhaust
      Header or Downpipe
      Fuel enrichment mod
      Drill holes in the lower intake box (I have this on my mine and quite frankly it is only a noise factor. If you want to do it properly, drill holes on the passenger side and in front of the airbox.)

There are some things to do as well that don't necessary aid in power, but aid in putting power to the ground as well as giving a better driving feel. Mods like:

Short throw shifter (Coming from a 81 Rabbit that I rowed through the gears like a semi-truck to a short throw shifter like the one on my mk2 makes a world of driving difference)
      Lightened flywheel (aids in helping the motor rev faster and actually proven to free a little bit of power as well)
      Clutch (stock is essentially fine, but a small upgrade to a stage 1 or 2 doesn't hurt)
      Motor mounts (I currently have this problem with mine where I watched it on the dyno as the motor kinda lifted itself up high. Stiff or refreshed motor mounts help the power get down and drivability better)
      Tune (You will have to read up on how to tune the CIS system)

This is really all you can do. Other than these mods, you'll have to dive into the head and do cams, but you said you don't want to go too crazy.

I'm usually the one to say this, but before you worry about any sort of power, concentrate on getting the maintenance of the motor done first. Simple things likes:

Spark Plugs
      Spark Plug Wires
      Distributor Cap
      Distributor Rotor
      Fuel Filter
      Good quality oil
      Cleaning or getting new grounds
      Etc...

Hope this helps

8. 07-07-2012 09:54 AM #8
      K&N is garbage compared to ITG.
      Up and Atom!

9. 07-07-2012 11:23 AM #9
      Thanks for the help guys

Vehicles
      07-07-2012 03:46 PM #10
      "ABD Intake Pipe (won't really make that much power, but helps the engine breath a little better)"

Probably helps a little bit, I forgot to put that on the list, I made my own. Probably does flow better then the stock plastic piece.

Motor mounts might not make it faster but they will most likely make things smoother if nothing else.

My rear one was completely broken off, and the tranny side one was smushy, need to replace the front one next.

Most people replace the rear fluid filled one with the older style rubber mount, and there are urethane inserts you can place inside them to make them even stiffer.

There's a video on youtube of somebody starting their 16v with bad mounts, the motor almost tries to get out of the car. LOL
      Last edited by 91JET16V; 07-07-2012 at 03:50 PM.

11. 07-07-2012 04:12 PM #11
      Just ordered KnN filter and looking at headers to purchase. Any ideas? I live in Washington and my car is a 1985 GTI so I don't have to worry about emissions

Vehicles
      07-09-2012 12:34 AM #12
      K&N have been in the game along time, just don't clean it with compressed air.

You live in WA? Techtonics Tuning is pretty local, they're in Oregon.

Build their own exhausts in house. They have great stuff and know VW's. I have had great results with them, especially with exhausts. I would check them out for a header.

Vehicles
      1979 16v mk1 scirocco, 1978 scirocco race car (16vt build )
      07-30-2013 12:15 AM #13
      Get a Volvo 240 turbo intake off a Volvo fuel distributor
      Then you can unbolt your plastic box intake and bolt the aluminum Volvo housing on
      and have a nice 3" intake
      for building your own cold air intake setup that actually works

Definitely makes more power and response
      And when your really in the high Rpm your friends will start askin If you did a turbo
      It makes whistling and hissing at certain rpms

Look at my link below and see what it looks like

And tectonics is expensive I kept breaking the race downpipe I had from them
      Race land has a nice cheap header