Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2002 gti seat/airbag light issue

1. 07-06-2012 01:27 AM #1
      Hey
      This is my first post, so if I do something wrong point me in the right direction. I'm planning on selling my 2002 gti and before i do, i put it in the shop to take care of some issues, had the crankcase breather hose replaced, next up is the cam positioning sensor to do away with the last code. now the last problem i have is the airbag light. from what i've read it could be the drivers side seat belt latch, or it could also be the connector under the seat. but i also found under the drivers seat a 6-8 inch spring that has a rubber hose covering the center section of it. so i was wondering if that plays into the airbag light in any way? the car is in the shop right now so i dont have any photos of the spring, maybe tomorrow. any help is appreciated.
      thank

2. 07-11-2012 05:14 PM #2
      I don't believe that spring has anything to do with the function of the seat airbag, it's likely for the function of seat ergonomic (e.g., recline or adjustment features).

Do you have any issues with seat function?

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2000 beetle,2005 passat wagen tdi
      07-11-2012 10:49 PM #3
      Have you unplugged anything under the seat with the battery connected,that will throw a code also

Vehicles
      CEO Yukon, 84 Basket Case
      07-15-2012 11:11 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by g&g View Post
      I don't believe that spring has anything to do with the function of the seat airbag, it's likely for the function of seat ergonomic (e.g., recline or adjustment features).
      Exactly. Seen it all the time. "Assist" spring for the height adjuster. Toss it, you will never know the difference.

Saw a ton of GTI with seat belt buckle wiring issues. Check the wiring at the base of the buckle. Probably one rubbed thru. Also saw side airbag harness wire issues occasionally, but then you have to remove the seat and cover to repair. Hope it isn't that one!
      Quote Originally Posted by OGSDUB View Post
      13 years of parochial schools over here. Knowing me one would never figure that.

5. 07-23-2012 01:04 AM #5
      thanks for all the replies. i did toss the spring, no difference in the seat function. i ordered/received one of those obd2 scanners so i should be able to at least get a code to point me in the right direction as to why the airbag light is on, have to wait and see. cars in the shop right now, getting some door dings fixed before i sell, so have to wait until i get it back before i can get the airbag code. thanks again for all the replies.

6. 07-24-2012 09:27 AM #6
      OBD2 scanners unfortunately will not give airbag codes.

7. 09-19-2012 05:38 PM #7
      I had this issue for a long time. I thought I broke a sensor when I kneeled on my seat and broke my heated seat grid. But it just turned out to be the buckle on both the passenger and drivers side. The bolt attaching them to the frame is a PAIN to remove but, the buckles are the most common culprit and the least expensive place to start. Plenty of part outs here on Vortex so look some up. Goodluck!