Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Are Raxles short?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 GTI 1.8T; 1992 GTI 8V
      07-06-2012 07:13 PM #1
      I was running long beaches on 10mm spacers and OEM axles up front and they looked great, nice and flush with the fender. I had torn a boot and it was all nasty so I replaced both with Raxles. At the same time I changed from my winter studded tires to a summer tire. Now, (I think) my wheels sit farther under the car...or I'm crazy? Just curious if anyone else has seen this because I couldn't find anything relating to it. Is there any reason I can't just change to 20mm spacers up front?

2. 07-06-2012 07:17 PM #2
      Unless your LCA's shrank.... I don't think your axles can pull your wheels in closer.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      05 GTI
      07-06-2012 07:17 PM #3
      is there positive camber, or are the wheels perpendicular to the ground? if perpendicular then yes. if positive camber then you should get it corrected or contact Marty and let him know whats going on.

Vehicles
      tropic gti
      07-06-2012 10:28 PM #4
      Axles shouldnt have any role in the way your wheels sit. Height of the car (such as lifiting it up) will effect your "stance". When you lower the car you typically get negative camber and your wheels suck into the fender wells. Lifting it up will create more poke because the lower control arm is on such dramatic angle it shortens the distance and pulls the wheel in. You have to think of it like this.

The axles connected to the knuckle/hub. The knuckle is connected to the strut and then ball joint. The strut never moves in or out, and unless you moved the ball joint on your own that never moves. Therefore even though the raxle has no play in the situation. IF it was pulling on the knuckle it wouldnt do anything to-do with how your wheels sit. It would just pull on the cv axle and pull it apart. Plus raxles are the same size as oem because there built to with stands HP and a small amount of low. Trust me I talked to marty on the phone today haha

In a nut shell...the raxle shouldnt have anything to do with it.

Hope this helps.
      -Lucas
      Quote Originally Posted by ventoCL View Post
      bags dont counts. never have, never will.
      CORNSTATUS
      My Shaved bay Build

Vehicles
      2004 GTi VR6 24v
      07-07-2012 02:52 AM #5
      The picture might be a little deceiving but they are the same.

Vehicles
      mk2 GTI, mk4 GTI
      07-07-2012 10:47 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by DuB fresh View Post
      Axles shouldnt have any role in the way your wheels sit. Height of the car (such as lifiting it up) will effect your "stance". When you lower the car you typically get negative camber and your wheels suck into the fender wells. Lifting it up will create more poke because the lower control arm is on such dramatic angle it shortens the distance and pulls the wheel in. You have to think of it like this.

The axles connected to the knuckle/hub. The knuckle is connected to the strut and then ball joint. The strut never moves in or out, and unless you moved the ball joint on your own that never moves. Therefore even though the raxle has no play in the situation. IF it was pulling on the knuckle it wouldnt do anything to-do with how your wheels sit. It would just pull on the cv axle and pull it apart. Plus raxles are the same size as oem because there built to with stands HP and a small amount of low. Trust me I talked to marty on the phone today haha

Hope this helps.
      -Lucas
      your so smart. its kind of sexy
      Dubstatic
      REP860
      CornStatuS

Vehicles
      20v
      07-07-2012 12:12 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Dubstatic View Post
      RIP TheSteveGangBang11.20
      Instagram: r_wett

Vehicles
      '03 1.8t GTI -R.I.P.
      07-07-2012 12:14 PM #8

Yea I have Raxles on both sides and they didn't change my "stance" at all.
      ~TheGreatCatTakeover2012~Dat build thread doe~Lace up~
      Forge 007, GHL 3" TB, EuroJet TIP, drive/pass Raxles, ECS Hybrid Oil pan, Samco coolant hoses, P-flo SRI, VR6 Lightweight single mass clutch, Ultimo's, etc. -R.I.P. sold to an uncaring new owner, and destroyed by said owner within 2 weeks.

Vehicles
      Axle binding 12v, 24v(r.i.p)
      07-07-2012 02:42 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Scotty6 View Post
      At the same time I changed from my winter studded tires to a summer tire.
      Are the winter tires and summer tires different sizes? Maybe it just looks like its different... who knows.
      VR SOCIETY
      Quote Originally Posted by justrave
      23=sweet basketball players and scared mk4 drivers
      rivialofvortex2012

FT-337 Shot Peened RC's for Aristos

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2002 GTI 1.8T; 1992 GTI 8V
      07-07-2012 09:20 PM #10

Hope this helps.
      -Lucas
      This is a ridiculously thourough answer and thank you because I am smarter for reading it.

Are the winter tires and summer tires different sizes? Maybe it just looks like its different... who knows.
      This was my first thought because they are different sizes. It just SEEMS like an extreme difference when all I did was go from a 225/45 to a 215/40, but I'm guessing that's it. Plus I did bring the ride height down an inch and change. So, thanks all. I think I'm going to look at trying 20s up front. (spacers not wheels... )

Vehicles
      cheby
      07-07-2012 10:05 PM #11
      thank you
      -chris

Vehicles
      tropic gti
      07-08-2012 01:31 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by SoIAteAPancakeToday View Post
      thank you
      -chris
      chris and corey... suckonit
      Quote Originally Posted by ventoCL View Post
      bags dont counts. never have, never will.
      CORNSTATUS
      My Shaved bay Build

Vehicles
      cheby
      07-08-2012 09:57 AM #13
      chris and corey... suckonit
      ok
      -lucas