Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Instrument cluster help/advice?

Vehicles
      2009 Jetta 2.0T WE, 1997 Passat VR6, 1998 Jetta 2.0 WE, 2000 Passat GLS 1.8T
      07-06-2012 07:36 PM #1
      I have a B4 Passat that once had a US cluster in it which I replaced with a new dealership Canadian cluster for a Euro look, but before I put it in the dealership said it isn't possible to program the odometer to the actual kilometrage of the car and that I would need an odometer replacement notice sticker to put on the car. So I got one, filled it out, stuck it on the car, and put in the new cluster which started at 0km. Well, now whenever I get the car serviced the kilometrage is incorrect because they don't calculate anything or don't see the sticker. So I am wondering if there is anyway at all to set that cluster to the correct odometer reading. I was also wondering about a Euro cluster with a mechanical odometer rather than a digital odometer. Would I be able to roll the numbers to the correct reading without any problems and would a US spec B4 Passat be able to have a mechanical odometer? Any advice or suggestions are much appreciated!

Vehicles
      '68 Coronet,'95 Passat GLX, & '13 Passat TDI SE
      07-07-2012 10:08 AM #2
      I don't know if the Euro clusters are different but for the US clusters it was possible to have the stealerships program them to the proper mileage.
      Volkswagens are like strippers, they only work when you throw money at them.

Vehicles
      07-07-2012 10:24 AM #3
      When I bought it I was pretty sure that they would be able to set it and they seemed willing to try it until I mentioned it was a Canadian cluster, then they just said that B4 clusters can't be set. I think they were scared to because I had gone there before to have a Canadian cluster put in my 09 Jetta and they charged me a lot of extra labour and said that they had so many problems programming it, and it is still not fully functional.

07-08-2012 11:08 PM #4
      i am in canada.
      so i speak from experience.

the passat b3 came out in 90 model year and only in 90 model year and for like only 3 months ( actually i think february of 91) is the last of mechanical speedo production.
      very hard nowadays to find a speedo driven passat/corrado cluster.

so even within the b3 platform there was a split for the kind of cluster.

there is no way a b4 came with manual cluster.
      now if you can physically install a b3 manual cluster into the b4 car? yes; you will have to also put a speedo cable intot he tranny. remove the VSS and out the cable in. if you car has cruise control; most likely ; you will loose the speed signal for the cruise to function.

als the mfa calculations of distance traveled; fuel consuption; and average speed will be lost because the missing signal from the V.S.S.

if a vr6 car i think it has a rev limiter about 5000 rpms that will cause a cut out in gear above that; the engine ecu sees rpm signals in the 5000 rpm range; but no wheel speed( missing signal) so it cuts out the engine. there seems to be some sort of way around the cut out in the mk2 vr6 swap forums...

if you have to have a manual speedo cluster and cable; i have it. if you want a canadian ( euro as you call it) cluster for b3 16v; b3 vr6; b4 vr6 or b4 tdi? i can help you also...

Vehicles
      Passat B4
      07-09-2012 06:18 AM #5
      there is no way a b4 came with manual cluster
      Check this out B4 passat on 2.0 8v engine and manual cluster

They have come on manual clusters. And. You can find euro clusters on germany´s ebay

Cheers
      Last edited by JanneVille; 07-09-2012 at 06:20 AM.

07-09-2012 07:48 AM #6
      WHAT ANEMIC ENGINE IS THAT IN THE B4? GAS ? ENGINE CODE? ABA? THAT IS MESSED UP...

Vehicles
      Passat B4
      07-09-2012 11:53 AM #7
      2E engine. yes, runs on gasoline basically same than later AGG

It serves me well. Thou I have thinkin 20vt swap

Vehicles
      09-29-2012 01:05 AM #8
      Thanks, I check Germany's eBay quite often but I can never quite find the right one. I am actually visiting Lahti soon to find some parts which I see is where you are from. The last time I was there I found some good parts in a salvage yard close by to where I was staying which was near Prisma and Kärkkäinen. So hopefully when I return there will be more parts.

Vehicles
      Passat B4
      09-30-2012 01:46 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by BrilliantList View Post
      Thanks, I check Germany's eBay quite often but I can never quite find the right one. I am actually visiting Lahti soon to find some parts which I see is where you are from. The last time I was there I found some good parts in a salvage yard close by to where I was staying which was near Prisma and Kärkkäinen. So hopefully when I return there will be more parts.
      That salvage yard is my favourite too There are couple more salvage yards here at Lahti. What parts are you looking besides that cluster?