Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Q: How could you gain 25 awhp and 32 tq from a CAI?

Vehicles
      TTRS - MK7 GTI
      07-08-2012 02:29 PM #36
      See the post above yours.

I know dynos, I know numbers don't mean much.

All I am saying though, is that when the initial post in the thread compares a stock intake on a stage 2+ car, versus a cold air intake on a stage 2+ car, of course the gains will be 25awhp. This is not a good comparison, all I am asking is for a better test.
      Suzuka TTRS - Carbon Mirrors - Ecodes - Recaros - Schroths - Weichers Cage - HREs - Revo Stage 2 - Nitroux Express - Scorpion TBE - CTS FMIC - H&R - EBC

Vehicles
      CAR HISTORY: |A3|Cayman|TTS|Jetta|.:R|CC|
      07-08-2012 02:33 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by riderbmx4 View Post
      this looks pretty interesting, does the hood close without a problem? any sound clips
      The guys at BSH/PR came up with this pretty clever hood strut relocation bracket that will be included with the kit. Easy to install and makes the strut clear the main body of the piping.

Quote Originally Posted by casperslost View Post
      I cant think of a better place to test an intake system then during the summer in Arizona. Eagerly looking forward to putting it to the test in a Houston summer!
      Hellz to tha yeeah!

Quote Originally Posted by .:Raunchy View Post
      I believe they include a relocation for the strut to hold the hood, allowing for everything to fit nicely. I'll be buying one in a week or so
      Hey, how'd you know that LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by imdarkrider View Post
      Looks good, but i'm skeptical. Listed as stage 2+... could be a weak tune, then a badass tune so who knows. I'd love to see more independent stuff on this.
      They are hoping that folks start doing their own testing as well. This was tested in ultra demanding Arizona conditions on a brutal all-wheel dyno that is well known for serving up smaller numbers. To me it seems more honorable to under-promise and over deliver. Independent dyno'ing will back up their claims and then some. Go for it!

I think I may order one, it does make sense not wrapping the pipes over the top of the engine because it would produce heat.
      This was the theory and now its proven to work,which has been pretty exciting to see step-by-step.

Quote Originally Posted by ecirwin View Post
      There is some info in iMod's build thread. In the first post in this thread, there is a link to the BSH site, where you could order one. I believe there are only 2 of these on cars, one being iMod and the other is the one shown in the pic above. That car belongs to a guy that works for BSH. He has a build thread on here, but I can't remember his user name.

The dynos above are the most specific info we have seen so far. There were quite a few people convinced by the theory and early pictures to pre-buy one. I'm in that group. I have not received a shipment notice, but it is supposed to ship very soon, hopefully early in the week. I want to install it ASAP to see the full potential of 2+. This intake and the Twintercooler are the last power mods I am going to do.
      Exactly, it is in Kens thread (BSHR). So far its just his car which has been testing it for 2 months and mine which is sitting on jackstands breaking my heart, LOL! The sound is bad-ass although subtle and the torque is totally noticeable which is quite an achievement for an intake. They will be shipping soon but the 4th of July threw everything off by a day or so. Have you seen the PR FMIC set up yet with the integrated crash-bar and thick core. Its pretty bad ass IMO.

Vehicles
      2012 golf r , 2011 Jetta se, 1990 gti
      07-08-2012 02:33 PM #38
      The dyno of the stock intake and the PR intake were all done with in an hour. The PR intake is the first intake i can honestly say that without a doubt you can feel the difference in power through out the whole rpm range.

Vehicles
      07-08-2012 02:52 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by batman25 View Post
      Any chance of this coming in black?
      Quote Originally Posted by Rdurty2 View Post
      It does come in black. It mentions this on the product page on the bsh website.
      It will ship as black wrinkle finish powder-coat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdurty2 View Post
      Can't wait to get my intake. Ordered it a couple weeks back.

Any idea when they will start shipping?
      I heard this coming Friday the first batch will go out.

Quote Originally Posted by feels_road View Post
      I agree, one adieu is perfectly sufficient.
      Noted mate.

Quote Originally Posted by _leo_ View Post
      i was thinking about chopping up my neuspeed an placing it on the passenger side, seems more logical then to go over the turbo and have the heat radiate upwards

is that stock toon or stage 1+?
      Quote Originally Posted by webcrawlr View Post
      They used APRs 93 stg2+ tune for the testing.
      Its a Stage 2+ 93oct APR file and as a fellow enthusiast who has cut and refit an AEM intake from an A# to a TTS I would say if you can sell your current set up and get the PR set up you can avoid MAF location issues. They took all the guesswork out of it. This comes from experience that ended up causing more problems than it was worth. FWIW.

My toes are tapping, waiting to receive a shipping notice. The Forge Twintercooler is due next week, so I hope this PR CAI shows up as well. My custom hatch emblem will arrive next week too!
      Post up that emblem man. Is t the same as the one you sent me via PM? I still want one of those. Jealous ova' here!

Remember that the numbers above are with a 2+ tune and compare the stock intake to this intake. I wouldn't think about this in terms of raw numbers, but more in terms of percentage. The claimed increases are roughly 10%. To me, that does not seem unreasonable.
      Better than that, its now proven. The 5 consecutive runs were as I mentioned before, under very demanding conditions and all happened in one dyno session.

Quote Originally Posted by webcrawlr View Post
      Lots of companies make claims. How many actually show you dyno results? Kinda takes the guessing out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by V8Star View Post
      I'd like to see dnyo specs on a 100% stock car, stock intake versus this one, same day back to back runs.

Looks great, but without the tested car posting all of its specs, and with the stock intake being so restrictive on a 2+ tune.. Might be a cleaner way to see gains.
      Quote Originally Posted by ThatVdub View Post
      This
      Quote Originally Posted by YoungMedic View Post
      my initial thought as well
      Believe it or not a stock Golf R in Arizona is a rare item. If anyone has a bone stock Golf R chime in and they'll work out an arrangement for use of your car for the afternoon.

Yes, I did the preorder for this intake and got a 15% discount, so it was cheaper than the Twintake, but still more than the Wintake. Those were the other 2 intakes I was considering. I also looked at the EVOMs intake, but I was not impressed with the fit/finish of the parts.

Vehicles
      07-08-2012 03:20 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by slackin' at work View Post
      ok, color me stupid... but where do I find more info on this intake?
      I have not heard/read/seen anything about it before this.
      Quote Originally Posted by TornadrotGTI View Post
      Ditto ^

Can we get more pics? It looks pretty gnarly in the engine bay. In a good way I think. Also, sound clips on a stock car?
      The link is in blue bold underneath the pics of the dyno results in the original post. As for sound clips I am headed out to Phoenix later in the week and will get sound clips etc and BSH has asked me to create an installation video to help those who have bought it DIY this thing. It will be up on the BSH Facebook page and linked off their website. Why more companies don't do that is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebellionelite View Post
      Wow, seems like one unique intake, wondering how it compares to the VWR intake.
      Kinda curious about this one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by watsonj0 View Post
      I look forward to seeing some more #'s after customers have installed. Anytime I see over 10-12 hp claims for an intake I become dubious
      Hey, we were all curious if these kinds of numbers could be truly achievable as well. Turns out with a little ingenuity and a great fabricator good things are possible.

im wondering if its a good idea to relocate the m.a.f. my friend had some issue with his forge twintake because the M.A.F wasn't in the original position, it was located close the the bend of the intake, so he had some idle issue
      Its a bad idea if you are a DIYr with no prior engineering experience. Phil (Owner/engineer of BSH/PR) knows his sh!t so the MAF was a key concern that was always first in line during development in terms of priority. It ran for 3 months with zero issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Siliconrane View Post
      Vortex is worse than the scientific community for scrutiny of information. Fact.
      If the claims were unfounded I would be too. This is not t all the case with the PR CrAI. Full disclosure my brethren and sistren!

All stage2+ tunes require an aftermarket intake. Which is why I want to see a comparison of the PR cold air intake versus a stock intake on an otherwise completely stock car. (No exhaust, tune, etc)
      If your stage2+ with a stock intake you will be starving the car of air, which is why it will make tons of power with a free flowing cai versus stock.

I'm not against the intake, if it makes better numbers than all others I would probably buy it. I just want to see better consumer information.

Another comparison would be a stage2+ car, with a different aftermarket intake (IE neuspeed or VWR) versus the PR cold air. Then we can see gains versus the competition on an already tuned car.
      So, I agree this is a good basis for testing. A stock Golf R is scarce in the southwest. Anyone out there with a stock R willing to work with PR should contact ken@bshspeedshop.com In terms of a comparison between the PR and some of the other companies out there its not going to be done by them. That needs to be done independently as BSH stays above the fray of the industry BS. I learned his by hanging around those guys this spring. They have one goal to create the best aftermarket performance based gear for VAG cars. That being said it seems like many of these other companies have posted numbers on their CAIs and they are roughly half of what the Phoenix Rising set up was proven to accomplish.

I feel that it comes down to being comfortable that the company you are buying from is doing a good job and providing a quality part. The idea of routing the intake the was BSH has done makes sense. How much difference it makes to the performance in the end may not prove to be all that substantial. At least you know that they really took the time to think about the routing and didn't just accept that the factory path was good enough.
      Yep, that is the concept. Sometimes ya gotta grab a machete and carve your own path. This is probably why I am so stoked to be working with them on my .:R Just a bunch of good dudes who want to make big numbers and make cars that are fun to drive. Who could fault that?

See the post above yours.

I know dynos, I know numbers don't mean much.

All I am saying though, is that when the initial post in the thread compares a stock intake on a stage 2+ car, versus a cold air intake on a stage 2+ car, of course the gains will be 25awhp. This is not a good comparison, all I am asking is for a better test.
      Thanks for bringing this up hopefully a stocker Golf R will pop up so they can conduct their own testing. If you just go off of percentage of power and TQ increases it is still fairly obvious that the gains from the PR intake are far greater than any other commercially available CAI for the Golf .:R

Quote Originally Posted by BSHR View Post
      The dyno of the stock intake and the PR intake were all done with in an hour. The PR intake is the first intake i can honestly say that without a doubt you can feel the difference in power through out the whole rpm range.
      x2 shizznit felt pretty damn torquey after install. It was noticeable and to get noticeable butt dyno gains of an intake is an achievement. Outside of a chip or WMI how else are you going to see numbers like that for sub $500-? Money well spent any way you dice it.

Vehicles
      07-08-2012 03:40 PM #41
      It seems like there is always more discussions about the merits of the PR CrAI happening here as well....

[Phoenix Risning on fB]

7. 07-09-2012 02:41 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by iMod.:R View Post
      It seems like there is always more discussions about the merits of the PR CrAI happening here as well....

[Phoenix Risning on fB]
      so you fully stand behind this product? are u running this set up on your r ?//

Vehicles
      TTRS - MK7 GTI
      07-09-2012 02:58 AM #43

[Phoenix Risning on fB]
      Thanks alot for posting that facebook link Found some products to add to my wish list
      Suzuka TTRS - Carbon Mirrors - Ecodes - Recaros - Schroths - Weichers Cage - HREs - Revo Stage 2 - Nitroux Express - Scorpion TBE - CTS FMIC - H&R - EBC

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R 2Dr Black
      07-09-2012 08:51 AM #44
      Post up that emblem man. Is t the same as the one you sent me via PM? I still want one of those. Jealous ova' here!
      I will post up the emblem when it arrives. It took them quite a few attempts to get it and they wouldn't ship until it was right. They also quoted me a price at the beginning and kept that price even though they did more work than usual. The price was higher than what Rebadge.com usually charges, but still they stuck to their quote.

I did see the PR FMIC, but I had already committed to the Forge buy and PR is still in process not shipping. I am sure that their solution will give better performance, but we are probably splitting hairs at this point. I am not going to be racing this car, it is my DD. It is just fun!
      2012 Golf R 2Dr Loaded DBP - Diesel Geek, Badgeless Grille & Fill, Delete R Badges, 42DD Downpipe, Autotech HPFP, UM Stg2, Huper Optik Tint, HPA Dogbone mount, Rebadge.com, BSH PR CAI, Twintercooler, LED Tails, TSW Interlaggos 19X8, CTS TOP & TP, Xpel Ultimate, DXD Stg2 Daily, USRT W/M

07-09-2012 12:57 PM #45
      I'm waiting on full pics on the intake looked at my car and can't see how there is any room on the passanger side?
      2012 VW Golf R Rising Blue 2-DR | APR Carbonio Intake | APR Stage 1 ECU | Clear Sidemarkers | R Mats | Blind Spot Mirrors | H&R Sport Springs | 19x8 TSW Nurburgring Wheels | 235/35/19 Michelin Pilot Super Sports | Gone.

2012 Volvo S60 T-6 Electric Silver/Anthracite | Eibach Pro Kit Springs | Tint |

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R 2Dr Black
      07-09-2012 01:00 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by JRMGTI View Post
      I'm waiting on full pics on the intake looked at my car and can't see how there is any room on the passanger side?
      There are pics on the BSH site (link at bottom of first post). Maybe you think you need more than that?
      2012 Golf R 2Dr Loaded DBP - Diesel Geek, Badgeless Grille & Fill, Delete R Badges, 42DD Downpipe, Autotech HPFP, UM Stg2, Huper Optik Tint, HPA Dogbone mount, Rebadge.com, BSH PR CAI, Twintercooler, LED Tails, TSW Interlaggos 19X8, CTS TOP & TP, Xpel Ultimate, DXD Stg2 Daily, USRT W/M

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Golf R
      07-09-2012 01:59 PM #47
      There are pics on the BSH site (link at bottom of first post). Maybe you think you need more than that?
      To be fair, those pics are of a prototype system, kind of small, and show an engine compartment with some unrelated changes. It would be nice to see some higher quality pics of the as-shipping production system. Maybe you could shoot these at the same time as the promised installation video?

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R 2Dr Black
      07-09-2012 03:18 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by keihin View Post
      To be fair, those pics are of a prototype system, kind of small, and show an engine compartment with some unrelated changes. It would be nice to see some higher quality pics of the as-shipping production system. Maybe you could shoot these at the same time as the promised installation video?
      Yes, you are correct. I should have mentioned that, but I was in a hurry. If what iMod is saying is correct, they won't have a finished unit until the end of this week. Sounds like a delay at the powder coater.

Vehicles
      12' CW 4DR Golf [R] (SOLD) 13' RB 4DR Golf R
      07-09-2012 03:24 PM #49
      Of course he is. Why would he not want the best intake ever produced.
      Blue One

15. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2003 Jetta VR(Sold), 2006 GTI (Sold), 2008 GTI (Sold), 2010 VW CC Sport, 2012 Golf R (January 2012)
      07-09-2012 04:43 PM #50
      Order in!

07-09-2012 05:14 PM #51
      Anyone remember the promo code for 15% off as I can't seem to find it trolling through i mods thread? This system looks to be the best bet.

Vehicles
      07-09-2012 05:31 PM #52
      Fully stand behind their gear. I'd recommend everything they make. Its all super legit high quality stuff. Their fabricators welds are totally on point and their raw material supplier is one of the best in the aluminum industry. I completely back their stuff.

Thanks alot for posting that facebook link Found some products to add to my wish list
      Haha, whoops. Not trying to assist you in lightening the ol' pocketbook. For the life of me I can't understand why BSH/PR isn't considered one of the household names in aftermarket VW parts. The quality is right up there with the best and in some cases, is the best I've seen. Maybe with the PR intake they will now be considered one of the "Big 3" tuners.

I will post up the emblem when it arrives. It took them quite a few attempts to get it and they wouldn't ship until it was right. They also quoted me a price at the beginning and kept that price even though they did more work than usual. The price was higher than what Rebadge.com usually charges, but still they stuck to their quote.

I did see the PR FMIC, but I had already committed to the Forge buy and PR is still in process not shipping. I am sure that their solution will give better performance, but we are probably splitting hairs at this point. I am not going to be racing this car, it is my DD. It is just fun!
      Like the spirit dude! It is all about fun otherwise it'd just be boring transportation Got your PM that Badge is sick and totally unique. Excited to see it on.

Quote Originally Posted by JRMGTI View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by keihin View Post
      Its a tight fit, but their are some allowances for air to flow between the components. Its a VERY tidy install once completed. Im headed out to Phx later this week and will meet up with a photographer to shoot the PR CrAI. Will add to this thread.

Yes, you are correct. I should have mentioned that, but I was in a hurry. If what iMod is saying is correct, they won't have a finished unit until the end of this week. Sounds like a delay at the powder coater.
      They are literally at Powder coat now and will be boxed and shipping at some point this weekend.... my insider resources are telling me. Good stuff a'coming up!

Quote Originally Posted by cashew View Post
      Order in!
      Atta boy! Congrats you'll have one working on a car before I do, LOL!

Vehicles
      07-09-2012 05:39 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by chase-R View Post
      Anyone remember the promo code for 15% off as I can't seem to find it trolling through i mods thread? This system looks to be the best bet.
      For those of you whom have asked me via PM about a discount promo code, I found this and apparently it's still active for 15% off

PR CAI promo code: prgolfrcai

You're welcome

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      07-10-2012 11:22 AM #54
      For those of you whom have asked me via PM about a discount promo code, I found this and apparently it's still active for 15% off

PR CAI promo code: prgolfrcai

You're welcome
      Ordering now

20. 07-10-2012 01:00 PM #55
      I pulled the trigger . I,couldnt wait till waterfest, its stil cheaper then vwr , n twintake

Vehicles
      07-10-2012 01:58 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
      Ordering now
      Bravo! Pretty damn sure none of us running this will be unhappy with the results!

I pulled the trigger . I,couldnt wait till waterfest, its stil cheaper then vwr , n twintake
      Cool stuff and like I said I am headed out to PHX next later this week to check up on my Golf .:R at their facilities I wil try and find you intake and upload a few pics to this thread.

22. 07-10-2012 03:57 PM #57
      Bravo! Pretty damn sure none of us running this will be unhappy with the results!

Cool stuff and like I said I am headed out to PHX next later this week to check up on my Golf .:R at their facilities I wil try and find you intake and upload a few pics to this thread.
      Haha,that,would b awesome, if u n teff stand behind this intake then I have no reason to disagree

23. 07-10-2012 04:06 PM #58
      Hopefully it comes in black because I didnt see a color option. I want black

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R 2Dr Black
      07-10-2012 05:21 PM #59
      If you read down to the bottom of the description on their website, it says it comes in a black crinkle coat. The only color option is black crinkle coat. So, you will get black, like it or not.

25. 07-10-2012 06:14 PM #60
      Thats what I wanted

Vehicles
      07-10-2012 09:10 PM #61
      Haha,that,would b awesome, if u n teff stand behind this intake then I have no reason to disagree
      TEFF is eagerly awaiting his ROW (European version) of the PR CrAI and will probably be the first outside of the US running it. He's got a good head on his shoulders, TEFF...

If you read down to the bottom of the description on their website, it says it comes in a black crinkle coat. The only color option is black crinkle coat. So, you will get black, like it or not.
      The above facts are hella factual. It only comes in black crinkle powder coat (or high polish as a special order that you need to request prior to ordering) They figure most people want a simple black set up so its more subtle. So you're good there.

27. 07-10-2012 10:12 PM #62

Ahh cant wait , my name is Sal btw if u So happen Ti find my order lol

Vehicles
      2012 VW Golf R 4dr Rising Blue
      07-11-2012 02:17 AM #63
      i love how this stuff shows up AFTER i already bought another intake
      I drive a 2012 VW Golf R / United Motorsport

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R 2Dr Black
      07-11-2012 08:24 AM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by Coderedpl View Post
      i love how this stuff shows up AFTER i already bought another intake
      This intake should have had it's own post when the preorder was offered, but if you had been reading iMods thread, you would have seen this intake over a month ago. Of course those of us that did preorder it have had to wait for over a month, and still waiting. You have another intake and have been enjoying the sound and power while we wait.

30. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2003 Jetta VR(Sold), 2006 GTI (Sold), 2008 GTI (Sold), 2010 VW CC Sport, 2012 Golf R (January 2012)
      07-11-2012 09:47 AM #65
      BSH is great! I didn't know about the 15% discount until after I ordered, they responded to my request really fast and had already taken care of it before I asked!

Vehicles
      2010 Audi B8 S4 3.0 TFSI 6MT & 2007 VW MKV GTI 2.0T FSI DSG
      07-12-2012 12:08 AM #66
      Believable numbers for sure. The stock intake is crap, and really chokes off power at stage 2+. We picked up something like 30+ HP with the VWR intake on our MAHA in the UK. I'll see if I can get my hands on the dyno tomorrow.
      GoAPR.com | Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | Instagram
      Phone: (800) 680-7921 Local Phone: +1 (334) 502-5181 Fax: +1 (334) 502-5180
      Address: APR LLC, 4800 US HWY 280 West, Opelika, AL 36801

Vehicles
      07-12-2012 12:04 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by Arin@APR View Post
      Believable numbers for sure. The stock intake is crap, and really chokes off power at stage 2+. We picked up something like 30+ HP with the VWR intake on our MAHA in the UK. I'll see if I can get my hands on the dyno tomorrow.
      Wow Arin, you guys picked up 30+ AWHP on a MAHA? Id say if that is true you guys have achieved something no one else, including PR has ever done. Think of all the sales you guys may have missed by not touting that fact. I looked everywhere online to see dyno results of the VWR intake. There is nothing anywhere with an official dyno sheet release by APR or VWR. I would imagine if those figures are true you'd want to use that as a sales tool to help sell a $575- air intake. The sales numbers on the pre-orders and past week have totally exceeded BSH/PRs expectations mostly due to us sharing the figures publicly. Definitely excited to see that 30+ awhp and how did you guys end up on the TQ and IAT numbers?

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R 2Dr Black
      07-12-2012 07:03 PM #68
      I am excited to see a shipping notice from BSH, but so far, I am only disappointed.

Vehicles
      2010 Audi B8 S4 3.0 TFSI 6MT & 2007 VW MKV GTI 2.0T FSI DSG
      07-12-2012 07:11 PM #69
      Wow Arin, you guys picked up 30+ AWHP on a MAHA? Id say if that is true you guys have achieved something no one else, including PR has ever done. Think of all the sales you guys may have missed by not touting that fact. I looked everywhere online to see dyno results of the VWR intake. There is nothing anywhere with an official dyno sheet release by APR or VWR. I would imagine if those figures are true you'd want to use that as a sales tool to help sell a $575- air intake. The sales numbers on the pre-orders and past week have totally exceeded BSH/PRs expectations mostly due to us sharing the figures publicly. Definitely excited to see that 30+ awhp and how did you guys end up on the TQ and IAT numbers?
      Yeah, I'm trying to get my hands on the dyno but I need to get access to our dyno computer in the UK and the connections not working (maybe it's just turned off lol). The figures area actually printed in VWR's marketing literature, but I'm after the graph.
      GoAPR.com | Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | Instagram
      Phone: (800) 680-7921 Local Phone: +1 (334) 502-5181 Fax: +1 (334) 502-5180
      Address: APR LLC, 4800 US HWY 280 West, Opelika, AL 36801

35. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 .:R, 2009 TT
      07-12-2012 08:45 PM #70
      I am interested in this graph Arin but lets not pollute this thread , this is all about BSH's new intake.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast