Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Vancouver teen is going Big Turbo!

Vehicles
      2002 golf gti
      08-11-2012 05:19 PM #101
      that is a pretty good idea. I know I can get the front one, its the rear one that is going to be trouble. I really dont feel like pulling the downpipe.
      50 trim'd up!
      http://ctsturbo.com-/thread

Vehicles
      BMP20th/00 chevy tahoe
      08-11-2012 09:11 PM #102
      m8 1.25 I'm almost 100% positive you can buy those studs/muts from advanced autoparts if there is even an advanced by you.
      20th Build ~9:5:1 wiseco 81mm forge pisons~IE 20mm rifle drilled H beams~Calico rod bearing~stock port AWP head matched to a IE intake manifold~hemi throttlebody~Custom downpipe/turboback~Self maestro tuned~tial 38mm wastegate~GT3076r .63ar Vband~6 puck Clutchnet~PTE600~USRT 1000cc gen2's~044 IE surge assembly~IE fuelrail~fuelab adjustable FPR

Vehicles
      2002 golf gti
      08-12-2012 02:31 AM #103
      Thanks for the bolt size! No advanced around here in canada, at least not in my part.

Its just a straight bolt into the manifold. I think if I can get one with a regular head insted of an allen key it will make install easier.
      50 trim'd up!

Vehicles
      01 Jetta Wolfsburg Ed, 04 Jetta GLI 24v 6spd
      08-12-2012 10:37 AM #104
      Quote Originally Posted by Budsdubbin View Post
      m8 1.25 I'm almost 100% positive you can buy those studs/muts from advanced autoparts if there is even an advanced by you.
      they are m8 x 1.25 thread pitch not sure how long, i think mine are 25mm long

also i buy them from advanced auto parts sux, op doesnt have one nearby in canada lol
      Last edited by Big_Tom; 08-12-2012 at 10:40 AM.
      My Thread Fk AK Coilovers, Full 3" Exhaust, Custom FMIC, Forge Evo14 BOV, Forge Unos MBC, Forge Throttle Body Hose, Prothane Dog Bone Mount, BFI STG 1 Eng/Trans Mounts, Sachs VR6 Clutch Kit, TT Short Shifter, Siemens 630s, Walbro 255, DBB Garrett 50 Trim Turbo Kit, Eurodyne 630cc MAFLESS PAGPARTS FTW -- STEVEBILT.COM -- Integrated Engineering -- FourSeasonTuning.com Don't Buy Anything From *ChunkyPeanuts*

Vehicles
      1998 Audi A4 QT , 1976 Datsun 280Z ( My Mid-Life Crisis )
      08-12-2012 01:32 PM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by 20VCanuck View Post
      Thanks for the bolt size! No advanced around here in canada, at least not in my part.

Its just a straight bolt into the manifold. I think if I can get one with a regular head insted of an allen key it will make install easier.
      Juts go to your local Lordco, Napa, Acklands, Fastenall etc. Just make sure that you buy a high quality bolt. Do NOT buy Stainless bolts or studs. Thye stretch when exposed to high heat. Do NOT use split lock washers, they lose their tension under heat.

DO use Nordlok washers or Red Loctite StudLock. You are best off using grade 8 Black oxide studs or high grade Japanese exhaust studs ( Grade 9+ with Cad plating ) secured with Red Loctite. Then use " Jet " Nuts ( ovalized nuts ) on the studs. Either Copper or steel. gain..no Stainless Steel and obviously no NyLock nuts

Lordco or any decent automotive supplier ( Not Canadian Tire ) should have them.

Edit: M8 x 1.25mm is a very common Japanese size. Most Japanese dealerships, such as Nissan, Toyota and Honda, have a supply chest full of common fasteners for their shop. They normally have a vast selection of all types of fasteners in various grades.

Bowman Industries supplies most of the dealers here...and they have excellent products. The BowMalloy grade 8 fasteners are top quality.

Check out a local Nissan dealership. Most of them also carry Grade 8 and higher studs . They've got some pretty scookum studs for their Turbo exhaust manifolds. Most of the Nissan dealerships are supplied by Bowman as well for their " common stock "
      Last edited by Chickenman35; 08-12-2012 at 01:53 PM.
      "...I recommend books. People who don't know what they're talking about are less likely to write a book about the subject...."

Vehicles
      08-12-2012 01:35 PM #106
      Quote Originally Posted by Big_Tom View Post
      they are m8 x 1.25 thread pitch not sure how long, i think mine are 25mm long

also i buy them from advanced auto parts sux, op doesnt have one nearby in canada lol
      No shortage of Auto Parts stores up here. They're all over the place. Just different names.
      Last edited by Chickenman35; 08-12-2012 at 01:54 PM.
      "...I recommend books. People who don't know what they're talking about are less likely to write a book about the subject...."

Vehicles
      2002 golf gti
      08-12-2012 04:13 PM #107
      Tons of good info, thanks guys

I thought the temps were too high around the turbo to use red loctite.

Id use studs but I dont want to take apart my downpipe to get them in the manifold. So ill try some bolts for now.

Im going to tighten up all my bolts and put some exhaust putty on the nuts after.
      Im done with bolts backing themselves out..
      50 trim'd up!

Vehicles
      08-12-2012 04:24 PM #108
      Tons of good info, thanks guys

I thought the temps were too high around the turbo to use red loctite.

Id use studs but I dont want to take apart my downpipe to get them in the manifold. So ill try some bolts for now.

Im going to tighten up all my bolts and put some exhaust putty on the nuts after.
      Im done with bolts backing themselves out..
      red loctite is only good to 300 degrees F, you cannot use it for exhaust bolts. putty is the way to go
      My Thread Fk AK Coilovers, Full 3" Exhaust, Custom FMIC, Forge Evo14 BOV, Forge Unos MBC, Forge Throttle Body Hose, Prothane Dog Bone Mount, BFI STG 1 Eng/Trans Mounts, Sachs VR6 Clutch Kit, TT Short Shifter, Siemens 630s, Walbro 255, DBB Garrett 50 Trim Turbo Kit, Eurodyne 630cc MAFLESS PAGPARTS FTW -- STEVEBILT.COM -- Integrated Engineering -- FourSeasonTuning.com Don't Buy Anything From *ChunkyPeanuts*

Vehicles
      2002 golf gti
      08-12-2012 08:11 PM #109
      I will check for leaks before I put some putty on, but how hard is it to get off? I can imagine it won't be horrible on the bolts I can see. But what about hidden ones such as the back bottom hotside to o2 pipe bolt?
      50 trim'd up!

Vehicles
      08-13-2012 04:38 AM #110
      red loctite is only good to 300 degrees F, you cannot use it for exhaust bolts. putty is the way to go
      Actually, Red Loctite can certainly be used with great success on exhaust studs to retain them in manifolds. I know of many, many guys road racing with turbo setups and they have never had a stud back out when secured with Red Loctite.

While the "service temperature" of Loctite 271 is rated to 300F...it takes 500F of direct heat to remove it. It's all in the technical data sheets.

BTW, "Service temperature" is the temperature at which the product retains it's full designed performance. Going above temperature that doesn't mean that the product suddenly loses all it's holding power. It's just reduced. It doesn't take a whole lot of holding power to prevent a stud from backing out of an exhaust manifold.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/tds/T_LKR_RED_tds.pdf

Loctite 272 is rated even higher. 450 F service temperature.

http://www.henkelna.com/industrial/p...UID=0000000HVZ

You also have to consider where you use it. While exhaust gases may be well over 1,000 F, they cool rapidly as does the material exposed to them. Even with an exhaust manifold glowing red hot, at the actual interface of threads to manifold, the temperature can be under 500F. Waste-gate positioning plays a big part in how much heat the metal is heat soaked to though.

Having said that... anyone who's ever used Loctite 271 or 272 on exhaust studs installed into a cast iron manifold can attest to the absolute SOB that they are to remove ( unless you use a LOT of heat ). You'll often snap the stud off before you can get it out.

And if you feel that Loctite 272 is not sufficient then you can get Extreme Temperature thread lockers. Some members did a group share type thing on this a while ago.

http://www.034motorsport.com/fluids-...ted-p-609.html

But if you use studs ( not bolts ) then Loctite 272 is more than sufficient. IMHO

Edit: I see that you going to use bolts. So I guess the Putty is worth a try.
      Last edited by Chickenman35; 08-13-2012 at 05:04 AM.

Vehicles
      08-13-2012 04:51 AM #111
      BTW..as Tom said. Putty does seem to work well on bolts. I just prefer the stud and " Jet " nut solution. It's served me well over many years.

Another option is to safety wire bolts in. Looks much more professional than putty...and I've never seen aircraft use " Putty " to keep bolts from loosening
      Last edited by Chickenman35; 08-13-2012 at 05:06 AM.

Vehicles
      08-13-2012 08:01 AM #112
      Quote Originally Posted by Chickenman35 View Post
      BTW..as Tom said. Putty does seem to work well on bolts. I just prefer the stud and " Jet " nut solution. It's served me well over many years.

Another option is to safety wire bolts in. Looks much more professional than putty...and I've never seen aircraft use " Putty " to keep bolts from loosening
      you laugh, but the putty is actually made to withstand exhaust temps unlike that red loctite ur pushing. I haven't had to touch any one of my exhaust bolts since I applied it in January. This is a quick, simple solution that works. You "professionals" can order your fancy aircraft bolts and safety wire all day. Applying a dab of putty to each bolt is easier, much faster, and prob cheaper than fuc*kin with safety wire and it works just as well for this application. I would not want to use putty all over an airplane if i was building one obviously

BTW, a "professional" auto mechanic put me on to this putty stuff
      Last edited by Big_Tom; 08-13-2012 at 08:53 AM.

Vehicles
      08-13-2012 08:08 AM #113
      Also, I've not had anyone see my car say something about the putty. It does not look out of place, you will forget it's there after a few months of not touching your bolts

OP it's very easy to remove the putty. you can remove it one of 3 ways. 1) wirebrush it off 2) "chisel" it off with a small hammer and flat screwdriver 3) or just loosen the bolt with the putty on and it will still snap free. it will be a little harder tho, but not much this way. It's VERY easy to remove, especially in small amounts like you will be using for these bolts.

The bolt on the bottom in the back is a little hard to access, but you can feel with your hands easy. It's just kinda hard to actually see it tho. I put a dab on my finger and applied that way to the backside bottom bolt.
      Last edited by Big_Tom; 08-13-2012 at 08:15 AM.

Vehicles
      08-13-2012 10:39 AM #114
      I'm not laughin' Tom Who'd a thunk that something like exhaust " putty " would work. It's not designed to withstand vibrations, so you might think that it would flake off. But apparently it doesn't. Nothing beats tried and tested in the field.

Same with the Red Loctite used on studs on Turbo manifolds. Initially you would think that it wouldn't work because of the temps. But guys who have tried it find that it works very well. Again, tried and tested in the field.

So you've got your methods and I've got mine. Both work, so choose your brand of
      Last edited by Chickenman35; 08-13-2012 at 10:48 AM.

Vehicles
      08-13-2012 10:44 AM #115
      I'm not laughin' Tom. Who'd a thunk that something like exhaust " putty " would work. It's not designed to withstand vibrations, so you might think that it would flake off. But apparently it doesn't. Nothing beats tried and tested in the field.

Same with the Red Loctite used on studs on Turbo manifolds. Initially you would think that it wouldn't work because of the temps. But guys who have tried it find that it works very well. Again, tried and tested in the field.

So you've got your methods and I've got mine. Both work, so choose your brand of
      Miller Liteeeeeeee!

Vehicles
      08-14-2012 01:53 AM #116
      Miller Liteeeeeeee!
      Kokaneeee!

Vehicles
      2002 golf gti
      08-14-2012 02:46 AM #117
      Kokaneeee!
      I hear that, this car has forced me to drink many kokanee's big fan.

Got the bolts in, I guess the gasket fell out when the bolts came out.
      Running without one for now but im assuming I have a few exhaust leaks still.

Car is running better after the resistors, but it is still very much a work in progress.
      50 trim'd up!

Vehicles
      2002 golf gti
      08-16-2012 08:12 PM #118
      Put new plugs in, ran good for a few days now back to normal.

On cold start, it trys to start and dies. No more than twice. After that cold start idle is fantastic.

After it warms up, the idle is lumpy and vac reading bounces.

Overall is running better, going to seafoam again. these issues are odd.
      50 trim'd up!

Vehicles
      08-17-2012 01:02 AM #119
      Put new plugs in, ran good for a few days now back to normal.

On cold start, it trys to start and dies. No more than twice. After that cold start idle is fantastic.

After it warms up, the idle is lumpy and vac reading bounces.

Overall is running better, going to seafoam again. these issues are odd.
      u get those gaskets yet? lol

Vehicles
      2002 golf gti
      08-17-2012 02:40 AM #120
      Going to seafoam again tomorrow, then heading to cts to get a wastegate gasket and o2 pipe if available. I think I have way more power hidden somewhere here. I mean its quick compared to my stock but, I have stock tires and I can barely spin first.

I dont know if its because the power is less spike and more linear compared to k03 but I always read about BT traction issues and I am grippin all the way. Not sure if its because our roads are hot lately and good condition, or lack of power.
      Last edited by 20VCanuck; 08-17-2012 at 02:43 AM.
      50 trim'd up!

Vehicles
      08-17-2012 11:32 AM #121
      Going to seafoam again tomorrow, then heading to cts to get a wastegate gasket and o2 pipe if available. I think I have way more power hidden somewhere here. I mean its quick compared to my stock but, I have stock tires and I can barely spin first.

I dont know if its because the power is less spike and more linear compared to k03 but I always read about BT traction issues and I am grippin all the way. Not sure if its because our roads are hot lately and good condition, or lack of power.
      yeah, ur missing hella power. i can go bonkers in 1st. and 2nd for that matter. the roads here are hot too

Vehicles
      2002 golf gti
      08-17-2012 03:56 PM #122
      ah florida yes. I have a buddy going to florida southern

Just ran a new log. A/f is much better than before, going to seafoam now

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1QA...l6Mk14Vmc/edit
      50 trim'd up!

Vehicles
      2002 golf gti
      08-22-2012 04:40 PM #123
      Im losing my mind. I have even more leaks then before. Its hard to even tell where its coming from, I think it may even be the manifold. I hope its accessible from without to much trouble.

I regret not getting a vband setup x100000.

Im trying to get everything fixed before I start school again and im running out of time as I have very limited times to work on it. Debating just dropping it off at cts but I dont know if I can bring myself todo that.
      50 trim'd up!

Vehicles
      08-22-2012 05:19 PM #124
      Im losing my mind. I have even more leaks then before. Its hard to even tell where its coming from, I think it may even be the manifold. I hope its accessible from without to much trouble.

I regret not getting a vband setup x100000.

Im trying to get everything fixed before I start school again and im running out of time as I have very limited times to work on it. Debating just dropping it off at cts but I dont know if I can bring myself todo that.
      gaskets? vband is not a cure all for leaks. they will also leak sometimes. you never seen a vband gasket? i had leaks until i put gaskets EVERYWHERE in my exhaust

Vehicles
      2002 golf gti
      08-22-2012 05:23 PM #125
      I have gaskets everywhere, except the wastegate. surprisingly im not leaking there. Going to go over every singe bolt back there tomorrow. Maybe the manifold bolts have loosened up.
      50 trim'd up!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast