Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: New clutch installed...... Sounds like a can of marbles in my transmission

1. n00b
      Vehicles
      2004 Audi A4 USP 1.8t, 2001 passat 4motion, 2000 jetta vr6, 1990 corrado g60, 1989 2dr jetta, etc...
      07-07-2012 01:43 AM #1
      2004 a4 quattro 6spd
      Just had a ECS Ra4 clutch conversion installed today. Now I have a horrible rattle sounds kinda like a bad bearing On the test drive I only heard it at low rpm under load. Back at the shop you could hear it while reving it would go away with the clutch engaged. Shop was closing so had no time to take anything back apart. Any ideas what might be wrong.

Install was done at a trusted shop car is still there.

2. Banner Advertiser ECS Tuning - Audi's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2003 DG B6 A4 1.8T
      07-09-2012 01:24 PM #2
      What you are experiencing is clutch chatter. This is very normal when you have a light weight flywheel installed.

Nothing to worry about.

Jason
      Have questions need answers now Live Chat! 8:30am to 11pm EST
      sales@ecstuning.com | CS@ecstuning.com | Tell us how we're doing! <-- Click!
      Customer Service Hours: 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM EST
      Reach our Sales Team from 8:00 to 11:00 EST 800.924.5172
      OEM Audi Part Number Search with Pricing - Price shop us!

3. n00b
      Vehicles
      2004 Audi A4 USP 1.8t, 2001 passat 4motion, 2000 jetta vr6, 1990 corrado g60, 1989 2dr jetta, etc...
      07-11-2012 01:09 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by ECS Tuning - Audi View Post
      What you are experiencing is clutch chatter. This is very normal when you have a light weight flywheel installed.

Nothing to worry about.

Jason
      Will the sound go away or get better?

Vehicles
      Various Stages of Crap
      07-18-2012 10:27 PM #4
      You had them throw a new throwout bearing in it while you did the clutch correct?
      Quote Originally Posted by 04_GLI_ View Post
      Yeah still drove it home bout 60 miles. Didn't know it was a broken timming belt, drove fine just made a lil noise.
      Coils Are For Poor People

Vehicles
      05 VW GLI, 12' Jetta TDI
      07-26-2012 03:51 AM #5
      Actually What you are hearing is not clutch chatter. What you are hearing is Gear chatter. Why? Well I am assuming you had a single mass flywheel installed? if so here is what I know. I did the same thing I went from dual mass Flywheel to an aluminum single mass flywheel that only weighs 10.1lbs exactly. the difference between the stock and aftermarket ( SPEC ) clutch and flywheel setup is almost 13-14lbs give or take. and I had the exact same noise coming from my transmission it went away during acceleration or with the clutch pedal pressed in. at idle it sounded like a chattering noise. Sound like your problem? well if so here is why when you take away weight from a perfectly balanced crank shaft that is designed for a 23lb+ Dual mass flywheel you are taking away a lot of weight so therefore what is happening is the gears are fine and everything is find but the vibrations from the crank are not getting absorbed completely so they are vibrating threw the transmission into the gears making them vibrate causing your chattering sound. I drove my car from CA to NC and Back with no problems and 50k miles on this set up with that annoying noise at idle you will be ok. In fact my info is coming from a SPEC engineer only because I emailed the guy and this in more or less words is what he said hope it helps
      '12 Jetta TDI
      '05 GLI
      '07 GSX-R 750
      '87 Chevy 1500
      '66 Chevelle Malibu

Vehicles
      05 VW GLI, 12' Jetta TDI
      07-26-2012 03:54 AM #6
      Oh and no the sound will always be like that. Drive it man its fine the only way i know of getting rid of this noise is to go back to your heavy ass dual mass flywheel. you can upgrade your clutch disk and pressure plate if you want but the flywheel likes to be stock on these cars
      '12 Jetta TDI
      '05 GLI
      '07 GSX-R 750
      '87 Chevy 1500
      '66 Chevelle Malibu