Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: baby seats

Vehicles
      08 .:R 2763/5000
      07-08-2012 08:32 PM #1
      So figured I'd ask my favorite car peeps about car seats.

The wife is about 24/25 weeks pregnant, and starting to look at seats for the new one.

Being we have multiple cars, we were planning on getting a seat with the bases that it locks into, any suggestions?

Vehicles
      yes.
      07-08-2012 08:41 PM #2
      Absolutely get one with bases.
      Additionally, you can strap it in without a base if you happen to need to get into a third car for a quick trip or something. Evenflo was what we used IIRC. Had two kids' use out of it and it is still in great shape.

IMO the rear facing ones are pretty much all the same. Maybe more padding in one or another, but not something that you ever hear about recalls on.

Once they go forward facing, that is where it gets tricky. They are in that seat much longer and so it's good to have something that will grow with them. The one we have (we bought 3 of them over the past few years to have in multiple cars) is convertible. It can be used from first turning around and into a booster. I think that was a graco. Looks like a race seat.

Oh and congratulations!

Sent from my campfire using smoke signals.

Vehicles
      2008 DBM R32 # 3783, 2009 GLI
      07-08-2012 09:41 PM #3
      Grandson is 10 months old - RECARO it's less than $300 and on sale on Amazon right now for $225 or so my wife says.
      We're ordering one for the GLI/R32..... just gave away our Graco and both bases to my son's best friend & wife for their 1 month old.

Recaro was used, for my now 11 year old grandson, and sold when he was 4 for $250

Recaro is awesome and the safest according to my Daughter-in-Law's research.....

I'm ordering tomorrow for the GLI......

Congratulations!!!!!!!

If we knew how much fun grandkids were, we'd had them instead of 3 kids first!!!!!!!!!!
      I have VCDS
      Old Geezer addicted to cars, bikes, racing and my Grandkids and The Dragon
      oldracer = used to race 911's and many other cars for 25 years, owned a race/fabrication shop for 11 years
      UM Combo tune, PSS Michelins, garage queen at his point

Vehicles
      yes.
      07-08-2012 10:21 PM #4
      Recaro was definitely on my list of seats I looked at, but they all lack one important thing. Cup holders. Maybe they have an accessory option or something, but the little cubbies and cup holders get used A LOT.

This is what we have:

Sent from my campfire using smoke signals.

Vehicles
      08 .:R32 DBP, 01 Jetta GLS GB
      07-09-2012 12:48 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by oldracer View Post
      Grandson is 10 months old - RECARO it's less than $300 and on sale on Amazon right now for $225 or so my wife says.
      ^This! Once forward facing is needed.

I have matching ones in both mine and wifes vehicles. My son loves "his" seat.
      Thx!
      Ripdubski
      08 .:R32 DBP, 01 Jetta GLS 2.Slow AutoTragic GB
      Flickr

Vehicles
      08 TR .:R32 | 10 CW EOS
      07-09-2012 09:06 AM #6
      I have a graco rear facing and it is on its second(and final) kid. Get the extra base. Forward facing i have the Racaro Como II in the R and i am going to get another Recaro something for the 2nd. My kids are twigs and will be in them for ever. IIRC, the recaro was cheaper than the wifes cowmooflage seat and i found it cheapest through targets website. But whatever you do, you do not need to get a bigger car or 4 doors. Stick with the R, it has been great the last 2.5 years.

let us know what you get and where and how much. I know another R owner, AbeR i think, just had a kid and he might want to stock up on seats.

Get through the first 4 months and then it is gravy from there, Good Luck!
      OG .:R Owner

ORIOLES | RAVENS

Vehicles
      2008 UGM .:R32 #3320
      07-09-2012 10:48 AM #7
      Cheers to Ikey for posting this thread before I had the chance to. My wife is also pregnant (26/27 weeks).

Aside of the car seat itself, are there any recommended mats to place under the car seat as to not leave lasting impressions on the leather? When folding the seat down the middle seat belt always leaves a pretty strong impression on the seat backing, so I'm assuming a car seat base would also do the same.

Vehicles
      08 TR .:R32 | 10 CW EOS
      07-09-2012 10:55 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by ZimmLR View Post
      Cheers to Ikey for posting this thread before I had the chance to. My wife is also pregnant (26/27 weeks).

Aside of the car seat itself, are there any recommended mats to place under the car seat as to not leave lasting impressions on the leather? When folding the seat down the middle seat belt always leaves a pretty strong impression on the seat backing, so I'm assuming a car seat base would also do the same.
      i have prince lionheart. It helps a little, but there are still indentations

OG .:R Owner

ORIOLES | RAVENS

Vehicles
      3.2 electric boogaloo bitches
      07-09-2012 02:23 PM #9
      im picking up the prince lionheart thingy as well.

I have some graco 30 whatever for now... 2 bases and at this point I have only had the kid in her car.

no rear seat in mine yet.

congrats to all!

my lil girl is 32 days old today

best 32 days ever!

WITW2014 UNIbrace

Vehicles
      Personal: 1997 LS1/T56 V90, 2008 Silverado 1500 VMax Work: 2012 Camry L
      07-09-2012 02:54 PM #10
      Now that is pretty precious

Vehicles
      heavy understeer and snap oversteer. PQ35 perfect.
      07-09-2012 03:49 PM #11
      yes get a seat with 2 bases if you and your wife will be transporting in both your cars, otherwise it's bit inconvenient to remount the thing everytime you switch cars. i have a graco for the newborn... it's fine. just get one with good adjustability and mesh or breathable padding. that's important in the heat. i also have a new recaro, but that's an upright seat, so it can't be used for another year or so.
      back atcha, Abe!

Last edited by 10Ten; 07-09-2012 at 05:18 PM.
      function/form

12. 07-09-2012 03:56 PM #12
      We used the chico cortina travel system, it came with an infant carrier, one base and a pretty nice stroller. We just picked up an extra base later. When she outgrows that I suggest the Recaro seats.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Vehicles
      3.2 electric boogaloo bitches
      07-09-2012 03:58 PM #13
      so what strollers are yall using?

( sorry to jack the thread )
      WITW2014 UNIbrace

14. Member
      Vehicles
      08 R32
      07-09-2012 04:30 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by CobleR32 View Post

If your not putting an adult back there consider taking the seat base out and store it.

Vehicles
      MKlll Drivers Edition GTI, MKV R32
      07-10-2012 12:13 AM #15
      My son is 3 months old, and loves riding in the .:R!

Step 1: Buy good seat protection ( I got one with pockets that hang off the seat for when the bogger maker gets older).
      Step 2: A baby seat with a base is the way to go. Easy in, easy out. I hope your wife is kinda short, it's a tight fit in the passenger side when the baby carrier is in back. But it'll all go away when they are big enough to sit in a bigger seat.

Good luck and have fun shopping!

16. 07-10-2012 12:45 AM #16
      We have a Recaro pro ride and it works great

17. Member
      Vehicles
      UG MkV R32; 4.2 Q7 Daytona Grey
      07-10-2012 01:37 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by abeR View Post

I have some graco 30 whatever for now... 2 bases and at this point I have only had the kid in her car.

congrats to all!

best 32 days ever!

Quote Originally Posted by 10Ten View Post
      yes get a seat with 2 bases if you and your wife will be transporting in both your cars, otherwise it's bit inconvenient to remount the thing everytime you switch cars. i have a graco for the newborn... it's fine. just get one with good adjustability and mesh or breathable padding. that's important in the heat. i also have a new recaro, but that's an upright seat, so it can't be used for another year or so.
      back atcha, Abe!

Amazing baby shots! Congrats to two of the most helpful Vortex members! Wow. I'm so stunned that I can't remember what this post was about!

Vehicles
      08 .:R 2763/5000
      07-10-2012 06:06 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by #2430R32 View Post
      My son is 3 months old, and loves riding in the .:R!

Step 1: Buy good seat protection ( I got one with pockets that hang off the seat for when the bogger maker gets older).
      Step 2: A baby seat with a base is the way to go. Easy in, easy out. I hope your wife is kinda short, it's a tight fit in the passenger side when the baby carrier is in back. But it'll all go away when they are big enough to sit in a bigger seat.

Good luck and have fun shopping!
      she is, then again, so am I...

so what strollers are yall using?

( sorry to jack the thread )
      It's cool Abe, been looking at those too

Vehicles
      MKV .:R32 ...................... '13 Touareg ...................... '14 Audi S5
      07-10-2012 08:47 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by CobleR32 View Post

I also use this with the Recaro Vivo Lite (it's a booster so you won't need this now!), didn't have the .:R when my daughter was a baby but we just used the base and car seat that came with the stroller (the whole Graco set-up) and yeah 2 bases and maybe even 2 seats depending on your situation, would be the easiest way to go. There are probably better strollers and baby car seats out there but Graco worked well, I would go with a Recaro seat (think they have baby baby ones) and then one of those weird looking cool strollers if I had it to do again

My baby isn't a baby anymore but I wanted to share pics too!! And congrats to everyone as well!

On the way home from the hospital

Not that great a pic but the only one I have of her in her seat in the .:R LOL

Vehicles
      2015 GTI, 2013 FRS, 2008 R32, 1983 Rabbit
      07-10-2012 09:09 PM #20

congrats to all!

That is an amazing picture. Wonder why she's so happy? Awesome dad?
      Holy Milltek.
      Tarmacs cut it close.
      Miami Vase
      Cams A Make Her Dance