Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Results 1 to 20 of 20

    Thread: baby seats

    1. Member Ikey3125's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 27th, 2008
      Location
      Fairchild AFB/Spokane WA
      Posts
      4,846
      Vehicles
      08 .:R 2763/5000
      07-08-2012 08:32 PM #1
      So figured I'd ask my favorite car peeps about car seats.

      The wife is about 24/25 weeks pregnant, and starting to look at seats for the new one.

      Being we have multiple cars, we were planning on getting a seat with the bases that it locks into, any suggestions?

    2. Member media's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 22nd, 2009
      Location
      virtually everywhere.
      Posts
      914
      Vehicles
      yes.
      07-08-2012 08:41 PM #2
      Absolutely get one with bases.
      Additionally, you can strap it in without a base if you happen to need to get into a third car for a quick trip or something. Evenflo was what we used IIRC. Had two kids' use out of it and it is still in great shape.

      IMO the rear facing ones are pretty much all the same. Maybe more padding in one or another, but not something that you ever hear about recalls on.

      Once they go forward facing, that is where it gets tricky. They are in that seat much longer and so it's good to have something that will grow with them. The one we have (we bought 3 of them over the past few years to have in multiple cars) is convertible. It can be used from first turning around and into a booster. I think that was a graco. Looks like a race seat.

      Oh and congratulations!

      Sent from my campfire using smoke signals.

    3. Member oldracer's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 15th, 2005
      Location
      Oviedo, Florida
      Posts
      1,617
      Vehicles
      2008 DBM R32 # 3783, 2009 GLI
      07-08-2012 09:41 PM #3
      Grandson is 10 months old - RECARO it's less than $300 and on sale on Amazon right now for $225 or so my wife says.
      We're ordering one for the GLI/R32..... just gave away our Graco and both bases to my son's best friend & wife for their 1 month old.

      Recaro was used, for my now 11 year old grandson, and sold when he was 4 for $250

      Recaro is awesome and the safest according to my Daughter-in-Law's research.....

      I'm ordering tomorrow for the GLI......

      Congratulations!!!!!!!

      If we knew how much fun grandkids were, we'd had them instead of 3 kids first!!!!!!!!!!
      I have VCDS
      Old Geezer addicted to cars, bikes, racing and my Grandkids and The Dragon
      oldracer = used to race 911's and many other cars for 25 years, owned a race/fabrication shop for 11 years
      UM Combo tune, PSS Michelins, garage queen at his point

    4. Member media's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 22nd, 2009
      Location
      virtually everywhere.
      Posts
      914
      Vehicles
      yes.
      07-08-2012 10:21 PM #4
      Recaro was definitely on my list of seats I looked at, but they all lack one important thing. Cup holders. Maybe they have an accessory option or something, but the little cubbies and cup holders get used A LOT.

      This is what we have:



      Sent from my campfire using smoke signals.

    5. Member Ripdubski's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 12th, 2004
      Location
      G-Vegas, SC
      Posts
      2,138
      Vehicles
      08 .:R32 DBP, 01 Jetta GLS GB
      07-09-2012 12:48 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by oldracer View Post
      Grandson is 10 months old - RECARO it's less than $300 and on sale on Amazon right now for $225 or so my wife says.
      ^This! Once forward facing is needed.

      I have matching ones in both mine and wifes vehicles. My son loves "his" seat.
      Thx!
      Ripdubski
      08 .:R32 DBP, 01 Jetta GLS 2.Slow AutoTragic GB
      Flickr

    6. Member CobleR32's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 1st, 2003
      Location
      Red Lion, PA
      Posts
      742
      Vehicles
      08 TR .:R32 | 10 CW EOS
      07-09-2012 09:06 AM #6
      I have a graco rear facing and it is on its second(and final) kid. Get the extra base. Forward facing i have the Racaro Como II in the R and i am going to get another Recaro something for the 2nd. My kids are twigs and will be in them for ever. IIRC, the recaro was cheaper than the wifes cowmooflage seat and i found it cheapest through targets website. But whatever you do, you do not need to get a bigger car or 4 doors. Stick with the R, it has been great the last 2.5 years.

      let us know what you get and where and how much. I know another R owner, AbeR i think, just had a kid and he might want to stock up on seats.

      Get through the first 4 months and then it is gravy from there, Good Luck!
      OG .:R Owner

      ORIOLES | RAVENS

    7. Junior Member ZimmLR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 8th, 2002
      Location
      Seattle, WA
      Posts
      92
      Vehicles
      2008 UGM .:R32 #3320
      07-09-2012 10:48 AM #7
      Cheers to Ikey for posting this thread before I had the chance to. My wife is also pregnant (26/27 weeks).

      Aside of the car seat itself, are there any recommended mats to place under the car seat as to not leave lasting impressions on the leather? When folding the seat down the middle seat belt always leaves a pretty strong impression on the seat backing, so I'm assuming a car seat base would also do the same.

    8. Member CobleR32's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 1st, 2003
      Location
      Red Lion, PA
      Posts
      742
      Vehicles
      08 TR .:R32 | 10 CW EOS
      07-09-2012 10:55 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by ZimmLR View Post
      Cheers to Ikey for posting this thread before I had the chance to. My wife is also pregnant (26/27 weeks).

      Aside of the car seat itself, are there any recommended mats to place under the car seat as to not leave lasting impressions on the leather? When folding the seat down the middle seat belt always leaves a pretty strong impression on the seat backing, so I'm assuming a car seat base would also do the same.
      i have prince lionheart. It helps a little, but there are still indentations

      OG .:R Owner

      ORIOLES | RAVENS

    9. Senior Member abeR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 13th, 2002
      Location
      Joe's Garage / Chicago
      Posts
      24,400
      Vehicles
      3.2 electric boogaloo bitches
      07-09-2012 02:23 PM #9
      im picking up the prince lionheart thingy as well.

      I have some graco 30 whatever for now... 2 bases and at this point I have only had the kid in her car.


      no rear seat in mine yet.


      congrats to all!


      my lil girl is 32 days old today

      best 32 days ever!

      WITW2014 UNIbrace

    10. Member R3Drew's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 4th, 2010
      Location
      By the Bay, CA
      Posts
      1,568
      Vehicles
      Personal: 1997 LS1/T56 V90, 2008 Silverado 1500 VMax Work: 2012 Camry L
      07-09-2012 02:54 PM #10
      Now that is pretty precious

    11. Member 10Ten's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 29th, 2007
      Location
      Dave's not here.
      Posts
      6,420
      Vehicles
      heavy understeer and snap oversteer. PQ35 perfect.
      07-09-2012 03:49 PM #11
      yes get a seat with 2 bases if you and your wife will be transporting in both your cars, otherwise it's bit inconvenient to remount the thing everytime you switch cars. i have a graco for the newborn... it's fine. just get one with good adjustability and mesh or breathable padding. that's important in the heat. i also have a new recaro, but that's an upright seat, so it can't be used for another year or so.
      .
      .
      .
      back atcha, Abe!

      Last edited by 10Ten; 07-09-2012 at 05:18 PM.
      function/form

    12. 07-09-2012 03:56 PM #12
      We used the chico cortina travel system, it came with an infant carrier, one base and a pretty nice stroller. We just picked up an extra base later. When she outgrows that I suggest the Recaro seats.

      Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

    13. Senior Member abeR's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 13th, 2002
      Location
      Joe's Garage / Chicago
      Posts
      24,400
      Vehicles
      3.2 electric boogaloo bitches
      07-09-2012 03:58 PM #13
      so what strollers are yall using?


      ( sorry to jack the thread )
      WITW2014 UNIbrace

    14. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 18th, 2007
      Location
      dirty jersey
      Posts
      188
      Vehicles
      08 R32
      07-09-2012 04:30 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by CobleR32 View Post
      i have prince lionheart. It helps a little, but there are still indentations

      If your not putting an adult back there consider taking the seat base out and store it.

    15. Member #2430R32's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 29th, 2010
      Location
      Seattle, WA
      Posts
      199
      Vehicles
      MKlll Drivers Edition GTI, MKV R32
      07-10-2012 12:13 AM #15
      My son is 3 months old, and loves riding in the .:R!

      Step 1: Buy good seat protection ( I got one with pockets that hang off the seat for when the bogger maker gets older).
      Step 2: A baby seat with a base is the way to go. Easy in, easy out. I hope your wife is kinda short, it's a tight fit in the passenger side when the baby carrier is in back. But it'll all go away when they are big enough to sit in a bigger seat.

      Good luck and have fun shopping!

    16. 07-10-2012 12:45 AM #16
      We have a Recaro pro ride and it works great

    17. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 28th, 2008
      Location
      Rye, NY
      Posts
      601
      Vehicles
      UG MkV R32; 4.2 Q7 Daytona Grey
      07-10-2012 01:37 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by abeR View Post
      im picking up the prince lionheart thingy as well.

      I have some graco 30 whatever for now... 2 bases and at this point I have only had the kid in her car.


      no rear seat in mine yet.


      congrats to all!


      my lil girl is 32 days old today

      best 32 days ever!

      Quote Originally Posted by 10Ten View Post
      yes get a seat with 2 bases if you and your wife will be transporting in both your cars, otherwise it's bit inconvenient to remount the thing everytime you switch cars. i have a graco for the newborn... it's fine. just get one with good adjustability and mesh or breathable padding. that's important in the heat. i also have a new recaro, but that's an upright seat, so it can't be used for another year or so.
      .
      .
      .
      back atcha, Abe!

      Amazing baby shots! Congrats to two of the most helpful Vortex members! Wow. I'm so stunned that I can't remember what this post was about!

    18. Member Ikey3125's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 27th, 2008
      Location
      Fairchild AFB/Spokane WA
      Posts
      4,846
      Vehicles
      08 .:R 2763/5000
      07-10-2012 06:06 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by #2430R32 View Post
      My son is 3 months old, and loves riding in the .:R!

      Step 1: Buy good seat protection ( I got one with pockets that hang off the seat for when the bogger maker gets older).
      Step 2: A baby seat with a base is the way to go. Easy in, easy out. I hope your wife is kinda short, it's a tight fit in the passenger side when the baby carrier is in back. But it'll all go away when they are big enough to sit in a bigger seat.

      Good luck and have fun shopping!
      she is, then again, so am I...

      Quote Originally Posted by abeR View Post
      so what strollers are yall using?


      ( sorry to jack the thread )
      It's cool Abe, been looking at those too

    19. Member r32grrl's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 1st, 2009
      Location
      Irvine, CA
      Posts
      323
      Vehicles
      MKV .:R32 ...................... '13 Touareg ...................... '14 Audi S5
      07-10-2012 08:47 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by CobleR32 View Post
      i have prince lionheart. It helps a little, but there are still indentations

      I also use this with the Recaro Vivo Lite (it's a booster so you won't need this now!), didn't have the .:R when my daughter was a baby but we just used the base and car seat that came with the stroller (the whole Graco set-up) and yeah 2 bases and maybe even 2 seats depending on your situation, would be the easiest way to go. There are probably better strollers and baby car seats out there but Graco worked well, I would go with a Recaro seat (think they have baby baby ones) and then one of those weird looking cool strollers if I had it to do again

      My baby isn't a baby anymore but I wanted to share pics too!! And congrats to everyone as well!


      On the way home from the hospital


      Not that great a pic but the only one I have of her in her seat in the .:R LOL

    20. Member mfbmike's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 5th, 2011
      Location
      305 Miami, FL
      Posts
      9,878
      Vehicles
      2015 GTI, 2013 FRS, 2008 R32, 1983 Rabbit
      07-10-2012 09:09 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by abeR View Post
      im picking up the prince lionheart thingy as well.

      I have some graco 30 whatever for now... 2 bases and at this point I have only had the kid in her car.


      no rear seat in mine yet.


      congrats to all!


      my lil girl is 32 days old today
      That is an amazing picture. Wonder why she's so happy? Awesome dad?
      Holy Milltek.
      Tarmacs cut it close.
      Miami Vase
      Cams A Make Her Dance

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •