Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: VW Tools

1. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      2001 Eurovan MV
      07-08-2012 11:12 PM #1
      Fairly new to the VW world as I've been a SAAB guy for a long time... that is until my 3rd child is on the way and I needed a family mover- 2001 EV MV.

I have a pretty good tool selection for repairs, but was wondering what anyone would suggest for working on my EV.

I see there are a few 12 point bits needed... any particular size or should I just go with a set.

Any input is appreciated.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      '01 T4 Trakka Camper 2.5TDI Syncro, '06 Golf TDI 16V manual, '09 Tiguan TDI CR manual
      07-09-2012 03:57 AM #2
      Yes there are a few XZN [AKA triple square] tools needed. I buy quality tools such as Stahlwille or Hazet
      that are quite expensive. I have found that it's not just the size that's important but also the length & the size of drive to get into some places. That is why I only buy the tools when I need them. This can be a problem if you need your van to be going for next day though.
      I have noticed that VW are using more torx fasteners on the later cars[post 2003] so that could be another reason not to buy many sets of tools that will never be used.

3. 07-09-2012 01:18 PM #3
      I bought these and so far they've been fine (linking to pic b/c it's huge)
      http://i50.tinypic.com/t8snbq.jpg

Got them at Pep Boys. Not too expensive and have done the job so far.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      1999 passat 1.8t, 2001 EV GLS
      07-10-2012 10:39 AM #4
      I haven't bought many, if any VW exclusive tools, in working on my EV or Passat.

I use the craftsman socket for the huge oil filter cap. I have found that i have needed many different sockets: deep, shallow, normal, and different rachets for different spots: hinged, offset, short, long. Same for wrenches, you never know which will work best. I have cheap harbor frienght Stubby wrenches that are awful in hand, but nice to have for the few occassions that i've needed them. I have craftsman racheting wrenches (but will buy gearwrench when i see a deal, with the little flipper selector) as well as combo non-racheting. But I haven't ever done work on either that required VW exclusive tools.

I too bought the cheap auto parts store "triple squares" and insert them into the socket that fits it or wrench.

5. 07-21-2012 01:45 PM #5
      I just had to buy two sets. First one was a star bit set; sizes t-40 thru t-60. Second was an OEM 12 point Metric set; sizes M6 thru M12. Don't forget to tell them 12 point Metric or they will say they don't have it. You really only need the M12 but I got the 4 pc set for the heck of it. I found both of these at AutoZone at about $26 for both sets. I also had to grab a Hex bit size H17 for the tranny drain plug.