Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: As we near our 5 year reunions, what are you all eyeing

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 VW Golf R32, 2003 VW Passat Variant 1.8T
      07-10-2012 12:37 PM #26
      I'm planning on keeping my .:R32 for quite a while. Thinking about the UM DSG flash so I can stay in the gear I choose (no upshifts or downshifts while in manual mode). Would be helpful on the track.

Vehicles
      MK5 R32
      07-10-2012 01:11 PM #27
      August will mark the beginning of the 5th year of R32 ownership. I was really tempted to switch to the Golf R but I didn't feel the cost was justified. Although I really like the idea of "cheap" HP upgrades with a turbo motor, 50% of the love I have for the R is the VR6 engine (the other 40% is the AWD, 10% DSG). Somehow, switching for a 4 banger didn't feel like an upgrade. Especially not for $40K CAN. A 1-2 years old Golf R could be tempting. Value will be down especially if they come out with a 2013 model (which apparently they will; 250 in Canada).

Was intensely looking at 07-08 RS4's but still expensive and cost an arm & a leg to maintain (intake valve cleaning). So I've decided to wait a year or two and build a cash down for something nice. Maybe a lightly used B8 S4 (Hmmmm, Supercharger). Or, keep the R32 and front the $$ for a Supercharger kit or an HPA turbo kit. Need more HP!

Anyway, keeping the R32 for now and still enjoying this car very much. Best car I've owned so far.

Quote Originally Posted by willlangford View Post
      There is something about a hatch with a big engine that makes it fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by caj1 View Post
      So either you are not interested in being the fastest around the track, or you measure your manhood by being able to press a clutch pedal..

07-10-2012 01:20 PM #28
      ancient proverb: " .....the grass is always greener on the other side."

words of wisdom: "appreciate what you have, not what you think you want."

shark ~

4. Member
      Vehicles
      dbp 08 r32
      07-10-2012 01:32 PM #29
      i love my 08 r and will prolly keep it for a few more years but the 12' r-line cc has caught my eye for something that is completely different but still a vw. Plus i wanna bag my next car so i doesn't need to be performance minded.
      FK, Adams, H&R, USP, EBC, Modshack, Toyo, OEM+

07-10-2012 01:32 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by ryeboy View Post
      I frankly do not understand the conventional wisdom that 2 door vehicles are incompatible with kids. I don't know your circumstances, but we brought our R32 while my wife was pregnant with our boy. We shared day care pick up for years. Now he is 4 yo and he climbs into his Recaro and proudly buckles himself in. The boot had plenty of room for the baby bits we had to haul (stroller, backpack full of whatever) and the fashion with which the R32 seats slide forward makes terrible two showdowns much easier when you can get in and be face to face. Since he turned 3, there seems to be much less carp to carry around on each outing.

So, Cheebs (if I can dare to call you that), don't fold. Stand your ground. Your honey seems very cool. I have trouble imagining that she wouldn't understand that you can do what you need to do with your 2-door "understeering nightmare". That said...babies can change women in dramatic ways. My point is that it can be done and has been done. YMMV.
      i agree. one of the reasons i specifically bought the R (was also considering an A3 which had ALOT less leg room) was that i KNEW i'd have a lot of room for the kiddies. i went to look at a few at a local dealership and the salesman i dealt with was 6'7"; when he fit in the back with no issues, i knew hauling kids around would be no problem. lol..and yes, the sliding seat is great for the "face to face!"

hehe, i've even got the kids trained to step OVER the threshhold and not to step on it when getting in and out.

shark ~

Vehicles
      2008 R323,1987 GTI,2003 TDI,1977 XS 650
      07-10-2012 01:35 PM #31
      Just broke 15k miles on mine. No plans to get rid of it.Just test drove an CC VR^ with red leather interior and was very cool but R is almost paid off.Hvave too many projects at this time(MKII,XS650 among others)so will be nice to have no paymnet

7. Member
      Vehicles
      08/VW/MKVR32
      07-10-2012 01:49 PM #32
      After about 6 breakdowns in a row and just picking up my car again, this time with a new fuel pump that took a week to diagnose...I'm in the market looking for something more dependable.
      In the meantime...switched the driver's mirror for a blindspot European...wish it had it from the day of delivery.

Vehicles
      MKV .:R32 ...................... '13 Touareg ...................... '16 Audi A7
      07-10-2012 02:08 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by VWNDAHS View Post

I headed up to CarsNCoffee this weekend and experienced a ton of insane motors first hand, the RS5, R8 GT, Hennessy Venom GT, F458 Spyder, Fiat Multipla and then a red C63 AMG Coupe rolled in and my brain started working, started considering the stupid lease rate currently offered ($699/mo), that 6.3L V8, the interior. About the only thing that held me back is the fuel economy, something around 14mpg combined.
      There was an RS5 there!? I almost went too! It's only 5 mins from my house, really need to start getting up early for this again!

Anyway, my husband is getting a C63 "no matter what" so there's a struggle between that, the .:R, saving for/buying a house and the fact the the Touareg is starting to take a crap Kind of all up in the air right now but I should at least have the .:R until next year :/

Vehicles
      Axis of Evil
      07-10-2012 05:39 PM #34
      I dont think the RS5 is here yet. Nothing out there has me very interested to get rid of my 'R'
      NR/NR

07-10-2012 07:04 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by r32grrl View Post
      There was an RS5 there!? I almost went too! It's only 5 mins from my house, really need to start getting up early for this again!

Anyway, my husband is getting a C63 "no matter what" so there's a struggle between that, the .:R, saving for/buying a house and the fact the the Touareg is starting to take a crap Kind of all up in the air right now but I should at least have the .:R until next year :/
      i'm surprised he's that enamored w/ the C63. i realize they are nice and torquey w/ some nice pick up, but i'm just not that much of a new benz fan. a friend of mine bought one and sold it w/in 6 mos. that's how "great" it was to him. between the R and a C63, price notwithstanding, i rather keep the R... especially if you're wanting to buy a house.

shark~

Vehicles
      B5 S4, MkV R32, W203 C240, W123 300D Turbo, W210 E320 4Matic
      07-10-2012 07:23 PM #36
      I'm not an OG'r but I'm keeping the MkV R32 for life!
      I already have a B5 S4 for something faster and keeping that for life too.
      If I ever buy something else, it will be a Porsche or two.
      If your gas cap light comes on even if you think you tightened the cap, try pulling on the cap as you tighten it. Worked for me.
      Help us with suspension specs!
      Vag Evolution: MkI Rabbit -> MkII 16v GTI -> B5 S4/MkV .:R32

Vehicles
      996 911 Turbo, E30 325i
      07-10-2012 07:26 PM #37
      I've only had the car for a year and a half now. Have met far too many people and experienced some great things, largely in part due to VW and moreso, .:R ownership to want to part ways with it.

I really do love this car and don't see myself parting ways with it for some time. The wifey can ride the automobile carousel every 3 years with new leases if she likes as no particular car really stands out to her as a "must have and want to keep forever" car. Not yet anyways.

With that being said, I'm always keeping an eye out for a clean mk1 to cruise around in as there is just something about them that makes me want one. That, and I have a bunch of buddies down here who also own them and the plan is to assemble a crew of sorts to just cruise up and down south beach in some slammed mk1's lol.

1m coupes and ttrs' have always appealed to me. The new subaru brz (toyota 86 overseas, scion fr-s) has recently made me wonder but hardly enough to make me consider. Maybe I can convince the wifey to get one.
      Last edited by mfbmike; 07-10-2012 at 07:30 PM.
      Current: 996 911 Turbo, E30 325i, MK7 GTI
      Past: B6 A4, NA Miata, FR-S, MK5 R32

Vehicles
      '08 gas-gargling-wookiee
      07-10-2012 07:32 PM #38
      5 year anniversary on september 10th, 2007 for me. nearly 92,000 happy miles...looking to double that. there's nothing out there at my current rate of $607.14/month or less that interests me. almost paid off. looking forward to no payments.

certainly nothing brand spanking new for me anymore...let someone else eat the initial depreciation. and certainly not a goRf at ~$40k after TT&L.

maybe an older project car like an audi ur quattro. or a diesel VW caddy or a mkIV GLI or etc, etc, etc.
      performanceleds.com

122,200+ miles - all of them mine

Vehicles
      07-10-2012 07:37 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by vdubnhead View Post
      maybe an older project car like an audi ur quattro. or a diesel VW caddy or a mkIV GLI or etc, etc, etc.
      Mmmm, Ur quattro...that will probably cost you a pretty penny though. To buy and to mod!
      If your gas cap light comes on even if you think you tightened the cap, try pulling on the cap as you tighten it. Worked for me.

Vehicles
      MkV DBP R32 #462
      07-10-2012 08:46 PM #40
      Thinking about this more I think I would go in a different direction if I were to pick up another car. It wouldn't be a replacement, that's for sure.

Maybe something low and slow. *shrug* MkI/II? Maybe a MkIV R? Or branch out from VAG altogether and go V8 powered Volvo brick?

Too many possibilities to pick just one.
      Quote Originally Posted by dubnick32 View Post
      That guy shouldn't own an R32. I bet he goes out dancing at least twice a week.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      UG MkV R32; 4.2 Q7 Daytona Grey
      07-10-2012 09:31 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by 10Ten View Post
      you can call me cheeebs anytime... but that's 3 e's buddy.

now, my wife's car is a mkVI Golf, 2.5 5MT, 2 door. the 2 doors isn't any kind of problem... a minor inconvenience at worst. the issue is how expensive it's become to keep her right. mechanically she's pretty bulletproof, no significant issues since out of warranty, but i've got a belt and 3 pulley replacement coming up, 4 new tires again (after 25k on the last set cus i don't rotate), and my fixation to do all oil at 5k and DSG & Haldex at 30k increments, plus gas, plus tickets, plus every other thing.

since the economy cash flow isn't what it was, she sees equity. i agree, but the car is paid and reliable. if i get some equity out now, i'll just have another used car problem on my hands. makes sense to me, because i've treated the car very well, and i think i can easily get the drivetrain far beyond 100k.. it's everything else on the car i'm concerned about in the future. but i'm not budging for now since there's $4k of hail damage and $800 in fender work that needs to be done before selling, not to mention all the downgrading and parting for a quick clean sale. it's just a major PITA that i don't want to get into at all.
      cheeebs...that does sound better than cheebs. Just like gotti sounds better than Gotti

I understand the obsession to keep up the R...she deserves no less. Nonetheless, it seems you've answered your own question. In 18 months, she'll be saying "faster daddy, faster!" while strapped into her Recaro. No better feeling.

Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT RS [prev: 2008 R32 #3603/5000]
      07-11-2012 01:11 AM #42
      I've been looking at RWD sports cars. Test drove a 370Z, but good god are they expensive for what they are. 100+HP on top of us in a car that's probably a little lighter though... do want. I'm also curious about the BRZ (because no way in fawk am I going to buy a Scion, Toyota were idiots for not selling it as the GT86 here like Japan). I may try to test drive one of those, the price is at least easier to stomach which then leaves some room for mods. I didn't want to go back down to cheaper stuff though, I like the "lux" in the .:R, the Nissan is at least close. It feels to me like Nissan is the VW of the Japanese stuff - slightly nicer interiors, etc.

Any of these would be second cars though. I've got too much into bolt-ons and sweat on the R, especially since I have the full racingbrake kit coming in a month or two.
      ["OG" Mk5 R32 Club Member 5/3/2008-5/4/2015] Traded [PARTOUT HERE] --> [2012 Sepang Blue TT RS - Click For Mod Blog]
      I'm a tech nerd and radar/lidar countermeasure enthusiast. I like track days, autocross, and US Highway 129. I love aural pleasure.
      WitW 2015 || I UM || PerformanceLEDs FTW

18. 07-11-2012 02:22 AM #43
      I'm about 4 months into my ownership and I'm torn between looking at a new beater to put my daily driving miles on or simply focusing on meticulous upkeep and letting the miles climb while enjoying the driving experience. During my short ownership I've brought it from 58k to just under 67k but I really have a good feeling I won't be dealing with anything extreme problems due to the NA factor after being a long-term nightmare of a 1.8t owner.

I hope to one day own an S-line Audi for a daily driver or a full blown dedicated sports car like a Caterham. But in the mean time I'm torn on limiting my usage or just aiming for a fairly pristine 200k on the clock. I've most likely already passed the threshold where an enthusiast would even consider the car due to mileage so I figure that I'll be going the distance.

Long time before the payments are gone anyways unless I take a very aggressive approach. Overall I'm very glad I didn't opt for locking myself into high payments and the depreciation of getting the black 2 door GoRf that was at the dealership the same time I drove off in the R - the VR6 will keep me happier in the long run.

Vehicles
      MKV R32
      07-11-2012 07:51 AM #44
      Im loving all the stories, makes me happy to know this is a car that people want to keep around for awhile.

I will be picking up my very first euro car in a little over a week and it just so happens to be an R32. Im beyond excited to have her forever! I wish I could have been an OG owner but the time wasn't right.

Looking to pick up a cheaper VW mk5 rabbit or mk4 golf for a daily driver.
      @Kmonstermash - Insta/twitter

Vehicles
      07-11-2012 02:09 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
      I've been looking at RWD sports cars. Test drove a 370Z, but good god are they expensive for what they are. 100+HP on top of us in a car that's probably a little lighter though... do want. I'm also curious about the BRZ (because no way in fawk am I going to buy a Scion, Toyota were idiots for not selling it as the GT86 here like Japan). I may try to test drive one of those, the price is at least easier to stomach which then leaves some room for mods. I didn't want to go back down to cheaper stuff though, I like the "lux" in the .:R, the Nissan is at least close. It feels to me like Nissan is the VW of the Japanese stuff - slightly nicer interiors, etc.

Any of these would be second cars though. I've got too much into bolt-ons and sweat on the R, especially since I have the full racingbrake kit coming in a month or two.
      Same here, that's why I'm thinking Porsche but I'll probably end up with an AWD 911 Turbo at some point.

You really would pass up on the Scion just because of the badge even though it's the same car? I'd take either the Scion or the Subaru over any current Nissan (yes, including the GT-R) anyday. Subaru actually has the best quality from Japan that I've seen. Nissans are pretty horrible if you look into the actual construction but the 370 is probably a little better than their other cars.

Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT RS [prev: 2008 R32 #3603/5000]
      07-11-2012 03:25 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by Slave IV View Post
      Same here, that's why I'm thinking Porsche but I'll probably end up with an AWD 911 Turbo at some point.

You really would pass up on the Scion just because of the badge even though it's the same car? I'd take either the Scion or the Subaru over any current Nissan (yes, including the GT-R) anyday. Subaru actually has the best quality from Japan that I've seen. Nissans are pretty horrible if you look into the actual construction but the 370 is probably a little better than their other cars.
      I'm just going off of interior plastics / dash / touch feel and seating. The Z felt fairly lux. The Scion feels like a cheap ****ty Toyota. I don't expect the Subaru to feel any better even though it costs more. My wife has an '08 Impreza and the interior leaves a LOT to be desired, the Z is much nicer inside... but it's also like $14k more than my wife's car and also more than an R32 was at launch. I *really* liked the Z's shifter - I think it's actually directly connected, no cable crap, and on top of that it is pretty ridgidly mounted so the knob has a lot of feedback. It was cool.

I think Toyota are a bunch of idiots for completely ignoring their past motorsport heritage. The Scion brand was designed to attract youth and have some sport to it, but I see more old people driving Scions than young. It would've sold fine as a Toyota GT86 instead of the Scion "furse" (FR-S).

I am curious to see if STi or TRD come out with any power-adders for it though. From what I've read it has "adequate" power but another 50-80 HP (and even moreso, added low-end torque) would make it perfect. All of the power is up high in the band, which is pretty natural for Toyota (c.f. 2ZZ-GE from Celicas) but not really normal for Subaru's boxer 4s. Plus, it doesn't have a cam changeover a la VVTL-i / VTEC, so it's not as rewarding to flog it up there, even though you still need to flog it up there for the power.
      ["OG" Mk5 R32 Club Member 5/3/2008-5/4/2015] Traded [PARTOUT HERE] --> [2012 Sepang Blue TT RS - Click For Mod Blog]
      I'm a tech nerd and radar/lidar countermeasure enthusiast. I like track days, autocross, and US Highway 129. I love aural pleasure.
      WitW 2015 || I UM || PerformanceLEDs FTW

Vehicles
      07-11-2012 04:02 PM #47
      Cool, I tend to care more about the structural build quality of the car and most Nissans are like tin foil stamped together while Subarus are very solid all the way through.
      A car like that is light and nimble and doesn't really need much more power but I can understand wanting a bit more. Probably not too hard to swap an STi engine into it if you really wanted to. I'd probably buy whichever one is cheaper since they are the same car and I don't care about name brands as long as the product delivers what I want. You can always debadge if it matters that much.
      Anyways, the idea of a rear wheel drive sports car is nice because I prefer AWD and will normally only buy AWD cars for regular use.

07-11-2012 10:17 PM #48
      Nothing. I just paid it off a few months ago (more than a year early! ) and I'm just enjoying no car payment for quite some time..Other reasons:

- Nothing new truly appeals to me at the moment. The new R, while cool, lacks some features I've learned to enjoy. Plus I think I would miss the VR far too much.
      - Nothing really wrong with my R at the moment. Need it's DSG/Haldex/Diff service(s), but nothing "wrong" with it.
      - Still puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it, even after all this time.

24. 07-13-2012 12:40 PM #49
      Hoping to keep the .:R for another 5 years! I was considering the new R, and it does look great, but it just won't feel the same with that turbo.

Vehicles
      MK5 R32
      07-13-2012 01:00 PM #50
      Arrg! The dealer lowered his asking price on that 07 RS4!!! $37K
      Quote Originally Posted by willlangford View Post
      There is something about a hatch with a big engine that makes it fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by caj1 View Post
      So either you are not interested in being the fastest around the track, or you measure your manhood by being able to press a clutch pedal..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast