Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: As we near our 5 year reunions, what are you all eyeing

Vehicles
      911 turbo, SQ5, beetle turbos, gti
      07-09-2012 01:46 AM #1

I headed up to CarsNCoffee this weekend and experienced a ton of insane motors first hand, the RS5, R8 GT, Hennessy Venom GT, F458 Spyder, Fiat Multipla and then a red C63 AMG Coupe rolled in and my brain started working, started considering the stupid lease rate currently offered ($699/mo), that 6.3L V8, the interior. About the only thing that held me back is the fuel economy, something around 14mpg combined.

Then I caught wind of the new 335i Hybrid (or Activestupidrediculouslylongnameddynamicsthreeseri eswithhybrid). 100 more HP than the R. a second quicker to sixty. DOUBLE the combined fuel economy. DOUBLE. and the cinfigurator's live.

any who, how many of you old timer stalwarts of the MkV forum are looking to keep the R until it croaks and how may are starting to feel the tugs of the likes of the C63 AMG Coupe, 335i Hybrid, et-al that seem to provide decidedly different yet decidedly alluring options. The promise of a car payment free life for the first time in five years is pretty tempting... but so is the conflation of speed and fuel economy on the very near horizon.

Vehicles
      2008 VW R32 :: 2000 MBZ ML55 AMG :: 2006 Mini Cooper S :: 2003 Aprilia Atlantic 500 :: Yam. Morphous
      07-09-2012 09:45 AM #2
      Me, I'm looking at a suspension refresh, and I "doubled down" on the R, buying a spare motor and stashing it in my garage. Guess that makes me a lifer?

Doesn't mean I don't have a wandering eye. Been fantasizing about RS4's, but that got tempered some by driving an S4 at autox. A little cramped for a helmet.
      "If the car feels like it's on rails, you are probably driving too slowly." - Ross Bentley, Ultimate Speed Secrets

3. 07-09-2012 09:54 AM #3
      I did my refresh for 2012 a few months earlier.

Replaced the older A module RNS with a E unit and 9w7 bluetooth kit.

I have a Gruppe M intake that haven't yet had the time to install...

a few more goodies coming in... small things... LED reverse lights (no error bulbs) chrome gas and trunk switches to match the window, mirror and light switches.

also got a 06 overhead control off a 2006 passat I'm going to put try put in... probably try to finally fit in all those R-Dash interior LEDs I've been putting off as well...

but yah, just dawned on me when I saw your thread, will make 5 years at the end of Sept!!!

As of right now... eyeing nothing... got tempted to get a 2011 Subie STI last year but didn't do it... car has been paid off for the last 3 years lol... need another year to pay off the Wife's car, maybe then I'll be even more tempted... or better yet start saving for a bigger house...
      Last edited by r32-1163; 07-09-2012 at 09:59 AM.

Vehicles
      2008 CW R32, 2003 1.8T GTI, 1974 2002 tii
      07-09-2012 10:20 AM #4
      I'm at a few payments left and still content. Looking forward to no car payment and saving. I'll continue to tastefully mod to keep me satisfied. I could use a new daily driver but will probably just start freshening it up.
      Rigi Cola.

"The VR6 was an orchestra of well-tuned cylindrical delights." - jalopnik.com

Vehicles
      2008 TR R32, 2013 S4
      07-09-2012 11:02 AM #5
      Have been flip flopping over B8 S4. But when I get back into the R32 it just feels right, so I will refresh and tinker.

Vehicles
      14' A4 S-line, 2008 DBP R32(sold), 2005 FZ6, 03 Cobra, 12 Tiguan SEL 4mo
      07-09-2012 01:31 PM #6
      I have been back and forth on picking up a new golf r, with potential kids soon a 4 dr vehicle would be nice to have, I've been looking at b8 s4's also but I think they are just out of my reach price wise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      1984 SVO Mustang, 1997 Millenia S, 2006 X3, 2008 R32, 2010 Golf TDI
      07-09-2012 01:59 PM #7
      Keeping my .:R32 for the long haul, at least 10 more years. I keep all my cars for at least 200K miles. I like that I have no car payment, so even with 93 octane at $ 3.45 or so around here I am fortunately able to drive the .:R32 as a daily. I have cut back my driving to work by 15% with a more direct route and a new office location. We will be looking at new cars in about 2 years when my son is in college. He will likely get the Golf TDI (already has 52K miles on it). Wife will probably get another diesel VW or hybrid.

And don't forget, VW says flush brake fluid at 3 years for the first flush, and then every 2 years regardless of mileage. My .:R32 was built in July 2007, so another brake flush is on the horizon.

It's not that I don't want or like the newer cars (hell, I even like the Volt my brother has), but with the expense of a son going to college a year from now, I am in saving mode.
      Candy White 2008 .:R32 #532 and Shark Blue 2010 Golf TDI
      .:R you in? I'm in. You .:R what you drive.
      Seduced by the Da.:Rk side I am.
      The Golf R brings balance to the FoRce.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      08 R32
      07-09-2012 02:10 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by VWNDAHS View Post

I headed up to CarsNCoffee this weekend and experienced a ton of insane motors first hand, the RS5, R8 GT, Hennessy Venom GT, F458 Spyder, Fiat Multipla and then a red C63 AMG Coupe rolled in and my brain started working, started considering the stupid lease rate currently offered ($699/mo), that 6.3L V8, the interior. About the only thing that held me back is the fuel economy, something around 14mpg combined.

Then I caught wind of the new 335i Hybrid (or Activestupidrediculouslylongnameddynamicsthreeseri eswithhybrid). 100 more HP than the R. a second quicker to sixty. DOUBLE the combined fuel economy. DOUBLE. and the cinfigurator's live.

any who, how many of you old timer stalwarts of the MkV forum are looking to keep the R until it croaks and how may are starting to feel the tugs of the likes of the C63 AMG Coupe, 335i Hybrid, et-al that seem to provide decidedly different yet decidedly alluring options. The promise of a car payment free life for the first time in five years is pretty tempting... but so is the conflation of speed and fuel economy on the very near horizon.

I'm eyeing another few years with the .:R!

Vehicles
      3.2 electric boogaloo bitches
      07-09-2012 02:20 PM #9
      minivans.

WITW2014 UNIbrace

Vehicles
      Personal: 1997 LS1/T56 V90, 2008 Silverado 1500 VMax Work: 2012 Camry L
      07-09-2012 02:37 PM #10
      Low mileage 03-04 terminator is high on my list right now.

The R32 has just gotten a bit long in the tooth for me and I'm on the verge of taking it to a mileage level that will cause many buyers to run for the hills.

It's been a fantastic car for these three years though no doubt. Just looking for something different, and a 6spd supercharged V8 should scratch that itch nicely.

Vehicles
      '08 VW R32, DBP, #450 of 5000
      07-09-2012 02:52 PM #11
      Sticking with a good thing...
      2008 DBP .:R32: ...more awesome than a monkey wearing a tuxedo made out of bacon riding a cyborg unicorn with a lightsaber for the horn on the tip of a space shuttle closing in on mars while engulfed in flames...
      And in case you didn't know, that's pretty dang sweet. (Sincerely, Flint)

US-spec R32 Registry * Cont.:Ributor

Vehicles
      08 TR R32, 12 TR Golf R (about to be traded for a Wrangler), 11 Blk Touareg Exec
      07-09-2012 05:32 PM #12
      I eyed, and purchased the 2012 Golf R... big mistake. FORTUNATELY, I was smart enough to keep my 08 R32. I still much prefer the 08, and given that I just turned 14k miles, I am hoping it will serve me well for another 4 years or more.

Vehicles
      14' A4 S-line, 2008 DBP R32(sold), 2005 FZ6, 03 Cobra, 12 Tiguan SEL 4mo
      07-09-2012 05:38 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by luckeydoug1 View Post
      I eyed, and purchased the 2012 Golf R... big mistake. FORTUNATELY, I was smart enough to keep my 08 R32. I still much prefer the 08, and given that I just turned 14k miles, I am hoping it will serve me well for another 4 years or more.
      Why do you say the golf r was a big mistake? I just left the dealership where I had been looking at one, I'm on the fence whether I want it or not

Vehicles
      heavy understeer and snap oversteer. PQ35 perfect.
      07-09-2012 05:47 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by RRRRR32 View Post
      Sticking with a good thing...
      yep. i'm still trying to keep this car well beyond 100k or much more. so far, my wife is no longer behind me, and for that matter neither is anyone else. i guess i could sell her if i had to, but for now i'm still saying COLD DEAD HAND.
      function/form

15. 07-09-2012 05:51 PM #15
      if I were in the market for a 4Dr, I'd definitely consider the 2012 Golf R.

It's basically the ultimate GTI with 4motion.

but would I get rid of my low mileage Mint condition R32, take a loss on her and pay 10K in Car Payments for a Golf R? NO!

If it were an even trade tho, I could be swayed by a true manual and turbo...

Vehicles
      08 TR R32, 12 TR Golf R (about to be traded for a Wrangler), 11 Blk Touareg Exec
      07-09-2012 05:52 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubbinJetta91 View Post
      Why do you say the golf r was a big mistake? I just left the dealership where I had been looking at one, I'm on the fence whether I want it or not
      Here goes:
      1. the 2012 does not have DSG. I thought this would not be an issue. It is. The excitement of manual shifting QUICKLY wears off.

2. No auto dimming mirror on the Golf R (08 R32 has this feature)
      3. No rain sensing wipers on the Golf R (08 R32 has this feature)
      4. No auto headlights on the Golf R (08 R32 has this feature)

5. The climate temperature controls increase/decrease by 2 degrees at a time on the Golf R, it is 1 degree at a time on the 08 R32.

6. The RNS 315 may well be the single worst audio system I have ever experienced. I prefer the audio system in the 08 R32, and the RNS 510 is better yet.

7. I MUCH prefer the linear power of 6 Cyl engine to the turbo 4.

8. I was expecting better mpg on the new car. My 08 is rated at 18/23. I nearly always average around 26 mpg per tankful. I am lucky to hit 27 with the new one, I have to work REALLY hard to do that.

These are just my opinions, but all in all, the new Golf is not as elegant as the 08 R32. There are so many little things that are missing, that it seems like a big step down from the 08.

I am not looking for a hot rod, but rather a powerful GT vehicle that delivers comfort over many miles at a time with power when I need it. I fell for the hype of the limited edition, etc., to the point that I saved up for the purchase of this new car for nearly a year. What I should have done is looked for a 2nd, low mileage, well kept example of the 08 R32.

I have put 500 miles on the new car in 2 months. Of that, 100 or so miles were the test drive. Another 250 or so miles was one trip to and from a car show. Other than a couple of trips back to the dealer to take care of a few things, this car has mostly sat in the garage.

The new car is not a bad car at all. I just don't think it is as great a car as my 08 continues to be, 4 years after I purchased it new in the spring of 2008.
      Last edited by luckeydoug1; 07-09-2012 at 05:58 PM.

17. 07-09-2012 06:00 PM #17
      Got me a "Snicker's Bar"!

Vehicles
      07-09-2012 06:50 PM #18
      Here goes:
      1. the 2012 does not have DSG. I thought this would not be an issue. It is. The excitement of manual shifting QUICKLY wears off.

2. No auto dimming mirror on the Golf R (08 R32 has this feature)
      3. No rain sensing wipers on the Golf R (08 R32 has this feature)
      4. No auto headlights on the Golf R (08 R32 has this feature)

5. The climate temperature controls increase/decrease by 2 degrees at a time on the Golf R, it is 1 degree at a time on the 08 R32.

6. The RNS 315 may well be the single worst audio system I have ever experienced. I prefer the audio system in the 08 R32, and the RNS 510 is better yet.

7. I MUCH prefer the linear power of 6 Cyl engine to the turbo 4.

8. I was expecting better mpg on the new car. My 08 is rated at 18/23. I nearly always average around 26 mpg per tankful. I am lucky to hit 27 with the new one, I have to work REALLY hard to do that.

These are just my opinions, but all in all, the new Golf is not as elegant as the 08 R32. There are so many little things that are missing, that it seems like a big step down from the 08.

I am not looking for a hot rod, but rather a powerful GT vehicle that delivers comfort over many miles at a time with power when I need it. I fell for the hype of the limited edition, etc., to the point that I saved up for the purchase of this new car for nearly a year. What I should have done is looked for a 2nd, low mileage, well kept example of the 08 R32.

I have put 500 miles on the new car in 2 months. Of that, 100 or so miles were the test drive. Another 250 or so miles was one trip to and from a car show. Other than a couple of trips back to the dealer to take care of a few things, this car has mostly sat in the garage.

The new car is not a bad car at all. I just don't think it is as great a car as my 08 continues to be, 4 years after I purchased it new in the spring of 2008.
      from the outside i've been in agreement with most of this. funny how the 08 continues to be a dog, especially in light of the the mk6 being half stripped of features. true about the MT thing also... it's cool and great and then you have a traffic jam commute 5 days a week. then, suddenly, you'll be having dreams of D.
      function/form

Vehicles
      2005 vw gli, 84 gti
      07-09-2012 07:29 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by 10Ten View Post
      from the outside i've been in agreement with most of this. funny how the 08 continues to be a dog, especially in light of the the mk6 being half stripped of features. true about the MT thing also... it's cool and great and then you have a traffic jam commute 5 days a week. then, suddenly, you'll be having dreams of D.
      exactly why i love the dsg. also to contribute to the thread ive always loved e46 m3 but its hard to find the right one. so maybe ill stick out for another year and wait for the e92 m3 to come down in price a lil
      CTS turbo,UNI,USP, Integrated eng.,Labonte motorsports,ESEtuning.

Vehicles
      MkV DBP R32 #462
      07-09-2012 08:51 PM #20
      I've been just driving her more and more, and as August approaches - so will the end of my powertrain warranty. So, I guess I will play it by ear and (knock on wood) owning this German car OOW won't put me in the poor house.

I can't really see myself replacing it with anything else at the moment, still - 5 years and counting I enjoy it as much now as when I got it new...

... even with the door dings, rock chips, and all the little things that give it a personality now.
      Quote Originally Posted by dubnick32 View Post
      That guy shouldn't own an R32. I bet he goes out dancing at least twice a week.

Vehicles
      2008 UG R32 #3497
      07-09-2012 08:59 PM #21
      I've come to realize I miss having a Mk3. I won't get rid of the R32 for daily purposes but the next project is my wife's old 96 Jetta Trek. My sister in law has been driving it trouble free and now has 178k miles. Body is straight but needs a new paintjob. I have plans for an R motor swap when I get the car back next summer. My point is the older cars have more raw feel. Afer I was disappointed with the MK6 platform. Its Mk5 or older for me.
      Drive a hybrid. I need your gas. .:R

22. Member
      Vehicles
      UG MkV R32; 4.2 Q7 Daytona Grey
      07-10-2012 12:25 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by 10Ten View Post
      yep. i'm still trying to keep this car well beyond 100k or much more. so far, my wife is no longer behind me, and for that matter neither is anyone else. i guess i could sell her if i had to, but for now i'm still saying COLD DEAD HAND.
      I frankly do not understand the conventional wisdom that 2 door vehicles are incompatible with kids. I don't know your circumstances, but we brought our R32 while my wife was pregnant with our boy. We shared day care pick up for years. Now he is 4 yo and he climbs into his Recaro and proudly buckles himself in. The boot had plenty of room for the baby bits we had to haul (stroller, backpack full of whatever) and the fashion with which the R32 seats slide forward makes terrible two showdowns much easier when you can get in and be face to face. Since he turned 3, there seems to be much less carp to carry around on each outing.

So, Cheebs (if I can dare to call you that), don't fold. Stand your ground. Your honey seems very cool. I have trouble imagining that she wouldn't understand that you can do what you need to do with your 2-door "understeering nightmare". That said...babies can change women in dramatic ways. My point is that it can be done and has been done. YMMV.

23. 07-10-2012 12:35 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by ryeboy View Post
      I frankly do not understand the conventional wisdom that 2 door vehicles are incompatible with kids. I don't know your circumstances, but we brought our R32 while my wife was pregnant with our boy. We shared day care pick up for years. Now he is 4 yo and he climbs into his Recaro and proudly buckles himself in. The boot had plenty of room for the baby bits we had to haul (stroller, backpack full of whatever) and the fashion with which the R32 seats slide forward makes terrible two showdowns much easier when you can get in and be face to face. Since he turned 3, there seems to be much less carp to carry around on each outing.

So, Cheebs (if I can dare to call you that), don't fold. Stand your ground. Your honey seems very cool. I have trouble imagining that she wouldn't understand that you can do what you need to do with your 2-door "understeering nightmare". That said...babies can change women in dramatic ways. My point is that it can be done and has been done. YMMV.

Vehicles
      Personal: 1997 LS1/T56 V90, 2008 Silverado 1500 VMax Work: 2012 Camry L
      07-10-2012 12:41 PM #24
      I fell for the hype of the limited edition, etc., to the point that I saved up for the purchase of this new car for nearly a year. What I should have done is looked for a 2nd, low mileage, well kept example of the 08 R32.
      This is what I did for the 08, and if my "firstworldproblem" isn't solved by jumping ship I plan to return to the brand in a lightly used '12 or '16 depending on the time frame and offerings.

If the 04 and 08 are any example, these cars have carried a very hefty price of entry for a brand new off the lot example, but will be ripe for the picking (as the 08's are now) with plenty of stellar low mileage private party examples. Shoot I'm sure there will be some pristine low-to-no mileage rotting away on dealer lots just as with the 08s that they'll be willing to deal on within the next year or two.

Vehicles
      07-10-2012 01:04 PM #25

you can call me cheeebs anytime... but that's 3 e's buddy.

now, my wife's car is a mkVI Golf, 2.5 5MT, 2 door. the 2 doors isn't any kind of problem... a minor inconvenience at worst. the issue is how expensive it's become to keep her right. mechanically she's pretty bulletproof, no significant issues since out of warranty, but i've got a belt and 3 pulley replacement coming up, 4 new tires again (after 25k on the last set cus i don't rotate), and my fixation to do all oil at 5k and DSG & Haldex at 30k increments, plus gas, plus tickets, plus every other thing.

since the economy cash flow isn't what it was, she sees equity. i agree, but the car is paid and reliable. if i get some equity out now, i'll just have another used car problem on my hands. makes sense to me, because i've treated the car very well, and i think i can easily get the drivetrain far beyond 100k.. it's everything else on the car i'm concerned about in the future. but i'm not budging for now since there's $4k of hail damage and $800 in fender work that needs to be done before selling, not to mention all the downgrading and parting for a quick clean sale. it's just a major PITA that i don't want to get into at all.
      function/form

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 VW Golf R32, 2003 VW Passat Variant 1.8T
      07-10-2012 01:37 PM #26
      I'm planning on keeping my .:R32 for quite a while. Thinking about the UM DSG flash so I can stay in the gear I choose (no upshifts or downshifts while in manual mode). Would be helpful on the track.

Vehicles
      MK5 R32
      07-10-2012 02:11 PM #27
      August will mark the beginning of the 5th year of R32 ownership. I was really tempted to switch to the Golf R but I didn't feel the cost was justified. Although I really like the idea of "cheap" HP upgrades with a turbo motor, 50% of the love I have for the R is the VR6 engine (the other 40% is the AWD, 10% DSG). Somehow, switching for a 4 banger didn't feel like an upgrade. Especially not for $40K CAN. A 1-2 years old Golf R could be tempting. Value will be down especially if they come out with a 2013 model (which apparently they will; 250 in Canada).

Was intensely looking at 07-08 RS4's but still expensive and cost an arm & a leg to maintain (intake valve cleaning). So I've decided to wait a year or two and build a cash down for something nice. Maybe a lightly used B8 S4 (Hmmmm, Supercharger). Or, keep the R32 and front the $$ for a Supercharger kit or an HPA turbo kit. Need more HP!

Anyway, keeping the R32 for now and still enjoying this car very much. Best car I've owned so far.

Quote Originally Posted by willlangford View Post
      There is something about a hatch with a big engine that makes it fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by caj1 View Post
      So either you are not interested in being the fastest around the track, or you measure your manhood by being able to press a clutch pedal..

07-10-2012 02:20 PM #28
      ancient proverb: " .....the grass is always greener on the other side."

words of wisdom: "appreciate what you have, not what you think you want."

shark ~

29. Member
      Vehicles
      dbp 08 r32
      07-10-2012 02:32 PM #29
      i love my 08 r and will prolly keep it for a few more years but the 12' r-line cc has caught my eye for something that is completely different but still a vw. Plus i wanna bag my next car so i doesn't need to be performance minded.
      FK, Adams, H&R, USP, EBC, Modshack, Toyo, OEM+

07-10-2012 02:32 PM #30

i agree. one of the reasons i specifically bought the R (was also considering an A3 which had ALOT less leg room) was that i KNEW i'd have a lot of room for the kiddies. i went to look at a few at a local dealership and the salesman i dealt with was 6'7"; when he fit in the back with no issues, i knew hauling kids around would be no problem. lol..and yes, the sliding seat is great for the "face to face!"

hehe, i've even got the kids trained to step OVER the threshhold and not to step on it when getting in and out.

shark ~

Vehicles
      2008 R323,1987 GTI,2003 TDI,1977 XS 650
      07-10-2012 02:35 PM #31
      Just broke 15k miles on mine. No plans to get rid of it.Just test drove an CC VR^ with red leather interior and was very cool but R is almost paid off.Hvave too many projects at this time(MKII,XS650 among others)so will be nice to have no paymnet

32. Member
      Vehicles
      08/VW/MKVR32
      07-10-2012 02:49 PM #32
      After about 6 breakdowns in a row and just picking up my car again, this time with a new fuel pump that took a week to diagnose...I'm in the market looking for something more dependable.
      In the meantime...switched the driver's mirror for a blindspot European...wish it had it from the day of delivery.

Vehicles
      MKV .:R32 ...................... '13 Touareg ...................... '14 Audi S5
      07-10-2012 03:08 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by VWNDAHS View Post

There was an RS5 there!? I almost went too! It's only 5 mins from my house, really need to start getting up early for this again!

Anyway, my husband is getting a C63 "no matter what" so there's a struggle between that, the .:R, saving for/buying a house and the fact the the Touareg is starting to take a crap Kind of all up in the air right now but I should at least have the .:R until next year :/

Vehicles
      Axis of Evil
      07-10-2012 06:39 PM #34
      I dont think the RS5 is here yet. Nothing out there has me very interested to get rid of my 'R'
      NR/NR

07-10-2012 08:04 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by r32grrl View Post
      There was an RS5 there!? I almost went too! It's only 5 mins from my house, really need to start getting up early for this again!

Anyway, my husband is getting a C63 "no matter what" so there's a struggle between that, the .:R, saving for/buying a house and the fact the the Touareg is starting to take a crap Kind of all up in the air right now but I should at least have the .:R until next year :/
      i'm surprised he's that enamored w/ the C63. i realize they are nice and torquey w/ some nice pick up, but i'm just not that much of a new benz fan. a friend of mine bought one and sold it w/in 6 mos. that's how "great" it was to him. between the R and a C63, price notwithstanding, i rather keep the R... especially if you're wanting to buy a house.

shark~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast