Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any B7 regrets?

1. 07-10-2012 01:17 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by turboDSG View Post
      I'd say it handles pretty well compared to the other cars in it's class. Much better actually. You could really tweak and firm the suspension, if you so chose..
      I have driven the Camry on several occasions -- its ride and handling are much better. Steering feel is definitely not as good as Passat but it does not bounce around nearly as much.

The way everyone contradicts me makes me want to have the dealer check my suspension. Perhaps my dampers ARE blown.

True, I have been driving sport package BMWs for a few years, and my fun car is an SLK350. However, I just drove a Nissan Versa rental for several days. That was just fine, a fun car to drive on some very challenging mountain roads in Sierra Nevada. Automatic sucked, of course, but suspension was well damped.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SEL, 2009 Corvette, 2005 BMW X3, 1990 Camaro RS 5.0
      07-10-2012 05:23 AM #27
      The only thing that really bothers me is the noise level, the rest I can live with. As far as the way the car handles I feel it’s the right blend of comfort and sportiness. I live and drive this car here in Germany where it will cruise at 100 MPH on the autobahn with control and ease all day. It will also tackle the German country side roads very well. I traded a Mercedes E class for this and the Passat handle way better.
      Last edited by tonymey; 07-11-2012 at 03:43 AM.
      U.S.Army

Vehicles
      2012 Passat SE TDI, 1972 Porsche 911S, Mercedes C250, 2007 Jetta, 2001 Ford Excursion 7.3
      07-10-2012 07:27 AM #28
      Took 3.5 months to get the car and I've had it for about 3 weeks. I Still have my 2007 Jetta (loaded with everything except Nav). My oldest son is using it to finish college in the spring, then it goes to my daughter. The Passat is great but: No sound insulation, The Nav unit is a big disappointment (very basic and the user interface is poor at best), Sound is average to poor. I noticed that if your sitting in the car and want to listen to the radio with the engine off it kills the system (the Jetta works until you remove the key). Also, anybody notice there is no external key access to the car? If the electric door locks ever fail your SOL>>>>>> Those are my impressions so far, other than that I like LIKE the car but VW didn't get a home run (maybe third base).

4. 07-10-2012 07:48 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by TSeck View Post
      Also, anybody notice there is no external key access to the car? If the electric door locks ever fail your SOL>>>>>>
      Yes there is, you just have to remove the cover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDevaVKo5Ro

Vehicles
      2013 Passat SEL Premium/2012 Jetta SE (Both Candy White/Black
      07-10-2012 08:29 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by tonymey View Post
      The only thing that really bothers me is the noise level, the rest I can live with. As far as the way the car handles I feel it’s the right blend of comfort and sportiest. I live and drive this car here in Germany where it will cruise at 100 MPH on the autobahn with control and ease all day. It will also tackle the German country side roads very well. I traded a Mercedes E class for this and the Passat handle way better.
      Well once my drivers door window was refitted etc. the noise overall is probably 4 out of 10
      Road noise varies but I feel is pretty well subdued. It's not a Jag" but it's better than my 2008 Azera.
      El Jay..
      Previously Owned:- Far too many'
      And ONE too many from
      MercedVolkswagen

6. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 JSW TDI; 2014 Passat TDI SEL
      07-10-2012 09:13 AM #31
      Is the suspension damping different between the various models? I find my TDI-SEL to be very well balanced (handling/ride), and doesn't "porpoise" at all, unlike our 07 Camry Hybrid that felt at times like the tires would leave the road. THAT car required the passengers to take their motion sickness pills...

vvk: Did you test drive a TDI Passat? I wonder if it feels as bad to you as your 2.5S?

7. 07-10-2012 10:17 AM #32
      Not sure I would opt for the TDI SEL again. Maybe step down one as the Nav, voice command, is not good. Getting Travelink setup was a nightmare. In the Houston area, it's too hot most of the time for the sun roof. I love the way it drives, the torque, the mileage etc... but the infotainment system could really take lessons from Ford or others.

8. 07-10-2012 10:27 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by tdiatlast View Post
      Is the suspension damping different between the various models? I find my TDI-SEL to be very well balanced (handling/ride), and doesn't "porpoise" at all, unlike our 07 Camry Hybrid that felt at times like the tires would leave the road. THAT car required the passengers to take their motion sickness pills...

vvk: Did you test drive a TDI Passat? I wonder if it feels as bad to you as your 2.5S?
      That's exactly how my Passat is. Up/down, up/down all the time.

I have not test driven a Passat TDi. I love diesel power delivery because it really suits my driving style. My friend drives a Golf TDi and I love the way that car drives -- absolutely perfect for me. However, Passat TDi is extremely expensive compared to subsidized leases on the base Passat. It requires AdBlue and diesel fuel is very expensive where I live. And I like the base 2.5 engine, it is torquey and flexible, almost like a diesel. My fuel economy has been terrific -- 32 mpg average in suburban driving. The car we had before the Passat, a 2007 BMW 328xiT manual, could achieve no better than 20 mpg on Premium driven on exactly the same roads by the same drivers.

Also, my Passat is very quiet. I have no complaints about noise levels at all.
      Last edited by vvk; 07-10-2012 at 10:34 AM.

9. 07-10-2012 01:50 PM #34
      There is a solution to your Passat having a soft suspension. Simply buy a set of Koni shocks and you'll notice a dramatic improvement in ride & handling. Actually, any of the good European shocks will do, I just prefer Konis.

I will be buying a '13 Passat for my wife within the next month or so. I test drove a '12 model and I didn't experience the "floating" and extra soft handling that you noted with your Passat. My other car is a high performance sport sedan with a taut suspension and the Passat I drove was a little softer but certainly not unreasonably "soft" compared to my car. I thought the ride & handling of the Passat was exactly where a family sedan with some sporting characteristics should be. Most road tests from the major auto mags confirm my impressions.
      You may have defective shocks.

Vehicles
      2013 VW Passat TDI SEL, 2010 VW Jetta TDI
      07-10-2012 03:25 PM #35
      I would appreciate a little bit of softness in my soon to be B7. Certainly not to the extent as experienced by the OP. My V6 B6 feels every single expansion joint on every freeway in the Greater Los Angeles area.

If I run over a dime, I can tell if it is heads or tails.

Vehicles
      2015 X1, 2008 Escalade ESV, 1990 300SE, 1988 911 Targa, 1988 Wrangler, 1983 300D
      07-10-2012 07:16 PM #36
      I should have gotten an sunroof.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain 'Murica! View Post
      I'd rather have AIDS than a diesel station wagon.

12. 07-11-2012 12:39 AM #37
      In hindsight I would have put quieter tires on my TDI SEL. The tire noise is a real problem and quite surprising given the quality of the car otherwise is very nice.

I also was surprised by how very sluggish the RNS 510 screen is... It seems like the system has. Avery very slow CPU. Every selection seems to take 2+ second, even if it's a seemingly simple matter of entering a phone number using the numeric keypad

I love everything else about the car, especially the incredible highway mileage. I routinely reach 47 mpg.

Vehicles
      2012 Passat S manual
      07-11-2012 09:05 PM #38
      Well we got one. We are picking it up friday at 2pm. Candy white S manual.

Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SE, 2007 Rabbit (trade), 1995 Jetta VR6 GLX, 1985 Jetta coupe
      07-12-2012 12:52 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by JBRecording View Post
      None whatsoever. I love it.
      dittttttto

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI, 2005 Ford F-250 6.0 diesel, 2007 Artitic Fox 5th Wheel
      07-12-2012 11:17 AM #40
      [QUOTE=MUG318;78156399.

If I run over a dime, I can tell if it is heads or tails.[/QUOTE]

You can be 50% right........ LOL
      2012 Passat SE TDI NAV
      2005 F250 PSD 4X4 LB CrewCab Arizona Beige / Blue Spring / Gauges / Coolant Filter / SG-II / Peragon Bed Cover
      2007 Arctic Fox 30' Fifth Wheel

Vehicles
      2011 CW GTI MT
      07-12-2012 11:45 PM #41
      I wouldnt say regrets but I got bored of it really quick. I had the 3.6 SEL and loved it. I just missed driving a MT and ended up getting back into a 2011 CW Autobahn GTI.
      1985 Golf | 1996 Golf | 1997 Jetta Trek | 2005 GTI | 2012 3.6 SEL B7 Passat | '11 CW Autobahn GTI

17. 07-16-2012 10:05 AM #42
      Well, I dropped off my Passat at the dealer this morning. The mechanic who rode with me heard the annoying creaking noises from the suspension but would not admit feeling anything bad about the ride and handling. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Driving the loaner Golf back home was heaven. Finally, a tight handling VW with excellent ride. Automatic sucks, as always, but ride and handling are 100 times better than my Passat.

18. 07-16-2012 01:21 PM #43
      I still like mine but there is an Audi in my future...slowness on RNS 510 is a killer

19. 07-16-2012 01:57 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee_speed View Post
      There is a solution to your Passat having a soft suspension. Simply buy a set of Koni shocks and you'll notice a dramatic improvement in ride & handling.
      I wish it were that easy. There are no replacement shocks available for 2012 yet. Not KONI, not anything else. If anyone knows of any replacement shock for 2012 Passat, please let me know. I know there are coilovers available but I don't want to go that way.

I have KONI Yellow shocks on my BMW and they are terrific.

20. 07-16-2012 04:08 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by sfiermon View Post
      I still like mine but there is an Audi in my future...slowness on RNS 510 is a killer
      Man, I have to agree. For such a fine automobile in many other ways, the RNS 510 is HORRIBLE.

21. Member
      07-16-2012 04:33 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by vvk View Post
      I wish it were that easy. There are no replacement shocks available for 2012 yet. Not KONI, not anything else. If anyone knows of any replacement shock for 2012 Passat, please let me know. I know there are coilovers available but I don't want to go that way.

I have KONI Yellow shocks on my BMW and they are terrific.
      Anything from a mk6 will work they share the same suspension components.

Vehicles
      2012 B7 Passat 3.6 SEL Premium
      07-16-2012 05:53 PM #47
      I wish the 3.6 had 4Motion like in the B6. Moderate-to-heavy throttle from a stop or at slow speeds spins the tires.... but maybe different tires might be more grippy.... but I have the tire warranty so I'm kind of stuck with what I've got. Not awful, just... could be better.
      Past Vehicle(s): B6 3.6 4Mo Passat (2006 - 2009), 2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Premium 5-door (2.5L 5-spd) (2009-2012)
      Current Vehicle: B7 Passat 3.6 SEL Premium
      Future Vehicle: - Unknown -

Vehicles
      2012 Passat SE
      07-16-2012 06:22 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by JJS119 View Post
      I should have gotten an sunroof.

Got the sunroof, wish I got the SEL 3.6..

Now that I'm back in the VW family, I really miss Quattro..
      Past Valiant Steeds: 2001 Audi AWE A4, 2004 Infiniti G35

Vehicles
      vaudi
      07-16-2012 08:06 PM #49
      Purchased a new 12' Passat S two weeks ago and so far the car has exceeded my expectation to some degree. It was a well needed and overdue replacement for my B5 Avant 1.8TQ "family" car. First, the rear back seat is cavernous, well...compared to that of the B5. We have a 4 year old and a 6.5 year old and there is plenty of room in the backseat to accommodate them and all their gear with room to spare. I think it has the largest back seat room in it's class....someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The 2.5L 5 banger has ample power and a fairly decent exhaust note might I add I was expecting it to be under powered from all that I've heard but it's fine for our needs...or rather my wife as she is the primary driver of this car. I wanted the appearance package, which is what we got but they did not have one with a sunroof in silver with appearance so I sacrificed that...it would be nice but not a big deal.

The trunk is decent sized....fits more than my Avant did in one respect with regard to depth but of course doesn't have the height clearance. I knew this going in but my wife just did not want another wagon. Decent sound system and has Bluetooth. Dual zone climatronic and I find it funny that there are 3 clocks all within view at any given time depending on how your center guage info center is set. If I'm late for anything I have no one to blame but myself.

I haven't really driven the car too much in the last two weeks and have only drove it at night once. The headlights leave a bit to be desired but the interior lighting is decent....simple but decent.

I've had a LOT of VW's over the years. I have not had a brand "new" example since my 1996 Golf. That being said...sure, we're loving it. No regrets really. Shopping other cars in it's class for the $ you may walk away with a little more interior creature comforts....leather, touch screen, etc.

One thing I definitely see standing out from the pack is the overall excellent build quality of this car. It is solid as a rock. I love the laser welded clean roof line, although at first glance I'm not sure how a rack works with this car and I don't think VW offers a factory option. I could be wrong about this though but I did not see one. I have a MKIV Jetta that is fitted with a THULE rack that will haul my bike, etc when needed. The interior follows suit as well and is well laid out and smart enough for my taste. A little cheap on the interior plastics but acceptable enough not to irk me.

The near future will bring an upgraded suspension, color matched rear trunk lip and will keep an eye out for grille options.

25. n00b
      Vehicles
      '13 Passat SE TDI 6M
      07-18-2012 10:00 AM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by vvk View Post

Definitely not a car I would want to autocross.....

We dislike driving our Passat so much that we avoid driving it as much as possible. It only has 2500 miles since November.
      Our 2013 TDI Passat 6pd has the expected european tight ride. Its not as tight as my Alfa GT with race suspension (ie don't think it will drift neutrally) but it is euro-firm. I'll definitely auto-cross it when the motor gets more broke in. Mine came with Continentals, and tires are everything. I put Connies on my 12yr old Volvo XC and it tightened up its ride also. You might want to check into that.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast