Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any B7 regrets?

Vehicles
      2013 Passat 2.5 SE, 2001 Jetta 2.0, 1998 Wrangler 2.5, 1983 300D Turbo Diesel
      07-10-2012 07:16 PM #36
      I should have gotten an sunroof.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain 'Murica! View Post
      I'd rather have AIDS than a diesel station wagon.

2. 07-11-2012 12:39 AM #37
      In hindsight I would have put quieter tires on my TDI SEL. The tire noise is a real problem and quite surprising given the quality of the car otherwise is very nice.

I also was surprised by how very sluggish the RNS 510 screen is... It seems like the system has. Avery very slow CPU. Every selection seems to take 2+ second, even if it's a seemingly simple matter of entering a phone number using the numeric keypad

I love everything else about the car, especially the incredible highway mileage. I routinely reach 47 mpg.

Vehicles
      2012 Passat S manual
      07-11-2012 09:05 PM #38
      Well we got one. We are picking it up friday at 2pm. Candy white S manual.

Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SE, 2007 Rabbit (trade), 1995 Jetta VR6 GLX, 1985 Jetta coupe
      07-12-2012 12:52 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by JBRecording View Post
      None whatsoever. I love it.
      dittttttto

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI, 2005 Ford F-250 6.0 diesel, 2007 Artitic Fox 5th Wheel
      07-12-2012 11:17 AM #40
      [QUOTE=MUG318;78156399.

If I run over a dime, I can tell if it is heads or tails.[/QUOTE]

You can be 50% right........ LOL
      2012 Passat SE TDI NAV
      2005 F250 PSD 4X4 LB CrewCab Arizona Beige / Blue Spring / Gauges / Coolant Filter / SG-II / Peragon Bed Cover
      2007 Arctic Fox 30' Fifth Wheel

Vehicles
      2011 CW GTI MT
      07-12-2012 11:45 PM #41
      I wouldnt say regrets but I got bored of it really quick. I had the 3.6 SEL and loved it. I just missed driving a MT and ended up getting back into a 2011 CW Autobahn GTI.
      1985 Golf | 1996 Golf | 1997 Jetta Trek | 2005 GTI | 2012 3.6 SEL B7 Passat | '11 CW Autobahn GTI

7. 07-16-2012 10:05 AM #42
      Well, I dropped off my Passat at the dealer this morning. The mechanic who rode with me heard the annoying creaking noises from the suspension but would not admit feeling anything bad about the ride and handling. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Driving the loaner Golf back home was heaven. Finally, a tight handling VW with excellent ride. Automatic sucks, as always, but ride and handling are 100 times better than my Passat.

8. 07-16-2012 01:21 PM #43
      I still like mine but there is an Audi in my future...slowness on RNS 510 is a killer

9. 07-16-2012 01:57 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee_speed View Post
      There is a solution to your Passat having a soft suspension. Simply buy a set of Koni shocks and you'll notice a dramatic improvement in ride & handling.
      I wish it were that easy. There are no replacement shocks available for 2012 yet. Not KONI, not anything else. If anyone knows of any replacement shock for 2012 Passat, please let me know. I know there are coilovers available but I don't want to go that way.

I have KONI Yellow shocks on my BMW and they are terrific.

10. 07-16-2012 04:08 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by sfiermon View Post
      I still like mine but there is an Audi in my future...slowness on RNS 510 is a killer
      Man, I have to agree. For such a fine automobile in many other ways, the RNS 510 is HORRIBLE.

11. Member
      07-16-2012 04:33 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by vvk View Post
      I wish it were that easy. There are no replacement shocks available for 2012 yet. Not KONI, not anything else. If anyone knows of any replacement shock for 2012 Passat, please let me know. I know there are coilovers available but I don't want to go that way.

I have KONI Yellow shocks on my BMW and they are terrific.
      Anything from a mk6 will work they share the same suspension components.

Vehicles
      2012 B7 Passat 3.6 SEL Premium
      07-16-2012 05:53 PM #47
      I wish the 3.6 had 4Motion like in the B6. Moderate-to-heavy throttle from a stop or at slow speeds spins the tires.... but maybe different tires might be more grippy.... but I have the tire warranty so I'm kind of stuck with what I've got. Not awful, just... could be better.
      Past Vehicle(s): B6 3.6 4Mo Passat (2006 - 2009), 2009 Subaru Impreza 2.5i Premium 5-door (2.5L 5-spd) (2009-2012)
      Current Vehicle: B7 Passat 3.6 SEL Premium
      Future Vehicle: - Unknown -

Vehicles
      2012 Passat SE
      07-16-2012 06:22 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by JJS119 View Post
      I should have gotten an sunroof.

Got the sunroof, wish I got the SEL 3.6..

Now that I'm back in the VW family, I really miss Quattro..
      Past Valiant Steeds: 2001 Audi AWE A4, 2004 Infiniti G35

Vehicles
      vaudi
      07-16-2012 08:06 PM #49
      Purchased a new 12' Passat S two weeks ago and so far the car has exceeded my expectation to some degree. It was a well needed and overdue replacement for my B5 Avant 1.8TQ "family" car. First, the rear back seat is cavernous, well...compared to that of the B5. We have a 4 year old and a 6.5 year old and there is plenty of room in the backseat to accommodate them and all their gear with room to spare. I think it has the largest back seat room in it's class....someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The 2.5L 5 banger has ample power and a fairly decent exhaust note might I add I was expecting it to be under powered from all that I've heard but it's fine for our needs...or rather my wife as she is the primary driver of this car. I wanted the appearance package, which is what we got but they did not have one with a sunroof in silver with appearance so I sacrificed that...it would be nice but not a big deal.

The trunk is decent sized....fits more than my Avant did in one respect with regard to depth but of course doesn't have the height clearance. I knew this going in but my wife just did not want another wagon. Decent sound system and has Bluetooth. Dual zone climatronic and I find it funny that there are 3 clocks all within view at any given time depending on how your center guage info center is set. If I'm late for anything I have no one to blame but myself.

I haven't really driven the car too much in the last two weeks and have only drove it at night once. The headlights leave a bit to be desired but the interior lighting is decent....simple but decent.

I've had a LOT of VW's over the years. I have not had a brand "new" example since my 1996 Golf. That being said...sure, we're loving it. No regrets really. Shopping other cars in it's class for the $ you may walk away with a little more interior creature comforts....leather, touch screen, etc.

One thing I definitely see standing out from the pack is the overall excellent build quality of this car. It is solid as a rock. I love the laser welded clean roof line, although at first glance I'm not sure how a rack works with this car and I don't think VW offers a factory option. I could be wrong about this though but I did not see one. I have a MKIV Jetta that is fitted with a THULE rack that will haul my bike, etc when needed. The interior follows suit as well and is well laid out and smart enough for my taste. A little cheap on the interior plastics but acceptable enough not to irk me.

The near future will bring an upgraded suspension, color matched rear trunk lip and will keep an eye out for grille options.

15. n00b
      Vehicles
      '13 Passat SE TDI 6M
      07-18-2012 10:00 AM #50

Definitely not a car I would want to autocross.....

We dislike driving our Passat so much that we avoid driving it as much as possible. It only has 2500 miles since November.
      Our 2013 TDI Passat 6pd has the expected european tight ride. Its not as tight as my Alfa GT with race suspension (ie don't think it will drift neutrally) but it is euro-firm. I'll definitely auto-cross it when the motor gets more broke in. Mine came with Continentals, and tires are everything. I put Connies on my 12yr old Volvo XC and it tightened up its ride also. You might want to check into that.

Vehicles
      '13 B7 TDI SE M
      07-18-2012 10:53 AM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by maniago View Post
      Our 2013 TDI Passat 6pd has the expected european tight ride.
      Goodyear Eagle GT wrapped around the SAGITTA 19s is really made a huge difference in the B7's stance. This is my first brand new vehicle since 1983... Traded my '07 XC70 for it.
      '13 Passat TDi SE M, Eagle GT wrapped SAGITTA 19s
      '03 Ford SD 250, 7.3L PowerStroke
      '73 Bronco Ranger, Rollerized 5.0

Humility Before Honor

17. 07-18-2012 02:41 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by maniago View Post
      Our 2013 TDI Passat 6pd has the expected european tight ride. Its not as tight as my Alfa GT with race suspension (ie don't think it will drift neutrally) but it is euro-firm. I'll definitely auto-cross it when the motor gets more broke in. Mine came with Continentals, and tires are everything. I put Connies on my 12yr old Volvo XC and it tightened up its ride also. You might want to check into that.
      That's good to know. My Passat is getting new springs (at least) at the dealer right now, so I am hoping it will be all better when I get it back.

Continental ContiProContact came installed on my car. They are not bad.

18. 07-18-2012 04:28 PM #53
      Well, I dropped off my Passat at the dealer this morning. The mechanic who rode with me heard the annoying creaking noises from the suspension but would not admit feeling anything bad about the ride and handling. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Driving the loaner Golf back home was heaven. Finally, a tight handling VW with excellent ride. Automatic sucks, as always, but ride and handling are 100 times better than my Passat.
      I get an occasional creaking noise as well most noticeable going in and out of my driveway. I'm not sure if it's the steering or the suspension (or maybe even the brakes). I don't "feel" anything, but just hear an occasional creak. Does that describe your problem? Let me know what turns up...

19. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat 2.0 TDI SEL
      07-19-2012 11:32 AM #54
      I would trade in our Sienna for another Passat TDI SEL if I could fit big things like bikes in it. I do not notice any bouncing or road noise. Passengers can't hear me outside and I can't hear them when the doors & windows are closed.

Problems I've had in 9 months and 9000 miles:
      1. Dead cell in battery after returning home from a 12 day vacation. Couldn't even jump it. Dealer replaced the battery and has been fine since.
      2. Light cover on driver's side rear passenger door kept falling off. Dealer used some silicone to get it to stick.
      3. Bolt rattled loose in the trunk from the super awesome Fender sound system.
      4. RNS-510 is still sluggish, but way better after that March 2012 firmware update.
      5. Having to stop for bathroom breaks but not needing fuel. Could've kept going!

Pros:
      1. I really like the chrome trim on the SEL models. A coworker told me it looked like a Mercedes at first.
      2. TDI power going up hills & mountains.
      3. Ringing ears from awesome sound system.
      4. Car seats or adults fit in that huge back seat. This was one of the strongest deciding factors when we shopped for cars.
      5. Cornering headlights are neat.
      6. You can hear me coming as opposed to quiet hybrids that don't compete on power & fuel efficiency.
      7. It's a damn sexy car that makes the ladies shiver.

20. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      08 passat wagon, Traded-in 2010 2.0t CC Sport for 2012 Passat SEL Prem
      07-19-2012 05:57 PM #55
      Wow, sounds similar to my situation except I was driving a GTI loaner when I took my 12 passat in to replace the center mirror because it rattled. The GTI was a few years old but was really fun to drive and flew! It seemed to have a lot more power than my 2010 cc sport. And the 2012 passat um, well not much enthusiasm there. The Passat sel prem is still nice though.

21. 07-20-2012 12:29 AM #56
      My biggest regret with my Passat 2.5 SE is not sticking with the TDI model. I bought this car after my 06 Jetta TDI broke down on me.

Vehicles
      2012 passat tdi se
      07-20-2012 01:16 PM #57
      i wish i would of bought sooner. i ended up buying a passat se tdi with a manual tranny. i drove both a jetta loaded tdi with a manual. if i wasn't a big guy( a lot more shoulder rooming the passat) i would of bought the jetta.

23. 07-20-2012 09:28 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by BBCoach34 View Post
      I get an occasional creaking noise as well most noticeable going in and out of my driveway. I'm not sure if it's the steering or the suspension (or maybe even the brakes). I don't "feel" anything, but just hear an occasional creak. Does that describe your problem? Let me know what turns up...
      My noise was not occasional. It was constant creaking.

The car is back from the dealer. New front springs installed. The noise is gone completely.

The ride and handling seem to be much improved. I still feel some up and down movement but it is much less pronounced.

Handling seems to be much improved.

24. 07-23-2012 07:52 AM #59
      I also got the bolts rattling loose in the trunk. Other than that...the thing just runs. RNS 510 is still slow. I am looking at all the other tech out there and wondering why this seems so far behind.

25. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      12 B7 3.6, 11 Golf TDI, had an 09 TDI, and GTI 03, and GLS
      08-05-2012 08:06 PM #60
      I do have one regret.... Just realized today - no pass-through, ahhhhh. My Golf had that, I never checked the B7 SE VR6. Love the car still.

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat SE - Candy White
      08-05-2012 09:22 PM #61
      My regret is not getting the Passat the first time. Instead, I had a 2012 Beetle. That thing was riddled with problems!!! Known window issue, A/C problems, body molding falling off, seat foam getting shredded or disintegrating, etc. Luckily VWoA gave me credit towards a new VW and the dealer worked with me. They were able to get is so that my payment is less than it was with the Beetle, lower interest rate, and a better car overall. I LOVE MY PASSAT!

27. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
      08-11-2012 06:08 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by biturbocurious View Post
      TDI?
      If you just want to get rid of it, I will take it. I could use another great car. Took a Jetta for a ride prior tobuying this. Had a B 5.5 TDI. Loved that. This B7 rides similarly to the B5.5. The Jetta rides like a Cavalier. Every jounce in a concreet freeway is felt. Not my idea of a nice ride. The Hankooks suck, but they can be replaced. I am sure that a good set of Michalins would make a huge difference. I cannot iagine someone not liking the ride. Maybe something is wrong? Not enough air pressure? I would not run these tires at the placard setting. They have been at 51 since delivery. Try it. You may like it much better.

28. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
      08-11-2012 06:11 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by biturbocurious View Post
      TDI?
      I dislike the way my Passat drives. In fact, it is the worst riding and the worst handling car I have ever driven. The ride is very soft, way softer than any other car I have driven. The damping rates are extremely inadequate, which results in the car bobbing up and down after each road imperfection. It feels like my front shocks are completely blown. Handling wise, the body roll is atrocious. If I take a corner at half the speed my other car feels comfortable at, the Passat feels like it is going to flip over. Definitely not a car I would want to autocross.

When I got the Passat I had a 1996 Buick Century Wagon with 130k+ miles on it. We were moving house, so the Buick was a temporary car to assist with moving, Home Depot runs, etc. Well, the Buick rode beautifully compared to the brand new Passat, with well controlled (if soft) suspension movements and nice, controlled handling. Brakes had better feel, too.

My daughter absolutely hates the Passat because she gets nauseous in it every time. All the up and down and diagonal movement of the chassis makes her sick.

Other than the way it drives, it suits us well. It is roomy, the seats are comfortable. I like all the features. I absolutely love the look and design of the interior. Ergonomics are fine and I am very glad it has a real key and a real handbrake. Clutch feel is great, engine power is great and fuel economy is terrific. It has a huge trunk, too. I am very disappointed that heated mirrors are not standard -- I have never had a European car without them before. Even Jetta S has heated mirrors!

We dislike driving our Passat so much that we avoid driving it as much as possible. It only has 2500 miles since November.
      If you just want to get rid of it, I will take it. I could use another great car. Took a Jetta for a ride prior tobuying this. Had a B 5.5 TDI. Loved that. This B7 rides similarly to the B5.5. The Jetta rides like a Cavalier. Every jounce in a concreet freeway is felt. Not my idea of a nice ride. The Hankooks suck, but they can be replaced. I am sure that a good set of Michalins would make a huge difference. I cannot iagine someone not liking the ride. Maybe something is wrong? Not enough air pressure? I would not run these tires at the placard setting. They have been at 51 since delivery. Try it. You may like it much better.

Vehicles
      '13 B7 TDI SE M
      08-14-2012 11:14 AM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by veedubbin View Post
      Well we got one. We are picking it up friday at 2pm. Candy white S manual.
      You've made a great move Dubbin... Congrats on your purchase.
      '13 Passat TDi SE M, Eagle GT wrapped SAGITTA 19s
      '03 Ford SD 250, 7.3L PowerStroke
      '73 Bronco Ranger, Rollerized 5.0

Humility Before Honor

Vehicles
      2013 CC 6MT
      08-14-2012 01:33 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by Bl4ckp4nt0m View Post
      I have a '12 Passat SEL; Great car, 1 big regret. Wish I bought a TDI SEL.
      I wondered if I would have kept mine if I made the same decision as you.

But all things in the passat was cheap quality. It held up great but there were little things that just seemed cheap. Case and point the hinge which became covered a year later. Or the fact the area by the pedals was not carpeted. The pillars were platic instead of cloth and on and on.

I have heard people complain about the quality of the beetles, but I love mine! im buggin!

31. 08-14-2012 07:53 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by gwernerjr View Post
      Or the fact the area by the pedals was not carpeted.
      That area is not carpeted because it's meant to be a "dead pedal" to rest your foot on.

I'm with you though on the trunk hinge covers.

Yours
      Vern

Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI DSG
      08-14-2012 10:26 PM #67
      Passat TDI currently with 22,000 Kms and ZERO issues. Certainly the best new VW I have ever owned.

Vehicles
      2013 CC 6MT
      08-15-2012 10:45 AM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by VernK View Post
      That area is not carpeted because it's meant to be a "dead pedal" to rest your foot on.
      No the area by where the brake pedal is is not carpeted buddy, and for 34,000 thats bs

34. 08-15-2012 11:07 AM #69
      Do you mean to the left of the brake pedal? That's the only spot not carpeted on my car, and like I said it's a dead pedal area.

Yours
      Vern

Vehicles
      2013 CC 6MT
      08-15-2012 11:24 AM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by VernK View Post
      Do you mean to the left of the brake pedal? That's the only spot not carpeted on my car, and like I said it's a dead pedal area.

Yours
      Vern

no look behind the brake pedal, the carpet just stops. you can see insulation, and this is how it is on all passats i checked the ones on the lot too. I don't know how you don't see this.

Anyways, cheap like i said.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast