Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any B7 regrets?

Vehicles
      '13 B7 TDI SE M
      07-18-2012 10:53 AM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by maniago View Post
      Our 2013 TDI Passat 6pd has the expected european tight ride.
      Goodyear Eagle GT wrapped around the SAGITTA 19s is really made a huge difference in the B7's stance. This is my first brand new vehicle since 1983... Traded my '07 XC70 for it.
      '13 Passat TDi SE M, Eagle GT wrapped SAGITTA 19s
      '03 Ford SD 250, 7.3L PowerStroke
      '73 Bronco Ranger, Rollerized 5.0

Humility Before Honor

2. 07-18-2012 02:41 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by maniago View Post
      Our 2013 TDI Passat 6pd has the expected european tight ride. Its not as tight as my Alfa GT with race suspension (ie don't think it will drift neutrally) but it is euro-firm. I'll definitely auto-cross it when the motor gets more broke in. Mine came with Continentals, and tires are everything. I put Connies on my 12yr old Volvo XC and it tightened up its ride also. You might want to check into that.
      That's good to know. My Passat is getting new springs (at least) at the dealer right now, so I am hoping it will be all better when I get it back.

Continental ContiProContact came installed on my car. They are not bad.

3. 07-18-2012 04:28 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by vvk View Post
      Well, I dropped off my Passat at the dealer this morning. The mechanic who rode with me heard the annoying creaking noises from the suspension but would not admit feeling anything bad about the ride and handling. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Driving the loaner Golf back home was heaven. Finally, a tight handling VW with excellent ride. Automatic sucks, as always, but ride and handling are 100 times better than my Passat.
      I get an occasional creaking noise as well most noticeable going in and out of my driveway. I'm not sure if it's the steering or the suspension (or maybe even the brakes). I don't "feel" anything, but just hear an occasional creak. Does that describe your problem? Let me know what turns up...

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat 2.0 TDI SEL
      07-19-2012 11:32 AM #54
      I would trade in our Sienna for another Passat TDI SEL if I could fit big things like bikes in it. I do not notice any bouncing or road noise. Passengers can't hear me outside and I can't hear them when the doors & windows are closed.

Problems I've had in 9 months and 9000 miles:
      1. Dead cell in battery after returning home from a 12 day vacation. Couldn't even jump it. Dealer replaced the battery and has been fine since.
      2. Light cover on driver's side rear passenger door kept falling off. Dealer used some silicone to get it to stick.
      3. Bolt rattled loose in the trunk from the super awesome Fender sound system.
      4. RNS-510 is still sluggish, but way better after that March 2012 firmware update.
      5. Having to stop for bathroom breaks but not needing fuel. Could've kept going!

Pros:
      1. I really like the chrome trim on the SEL models. A coworker told me it looked like a Mercedes at first.
      2. TDI power going up hills & mountains.
      3. Ringing ears from awesome sound system.
      4. Car seats or adults fit in that huge back seat. This was one of the strongest deciding factors when we shopped for cars.
      5. Cornering headlights are neat.
      6. You can hear me coming as opposed to quiet hybrids that don't compete on power & fuel efficiency.
      7. It's a damn sexy car that makes the ladies shiver.

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      08 passat wagon, Traded-in 2010 2.0t CC Sport for 2012 Passat SEL Prem
      07-19-2012 05:57 PM #55
      Wow, sounds similar to my situation except I was driving a GTI loaner when I took my 12 passat in to replace the center mirror because it rattled. The GTI was a few years old but was really fun to drive and flew! It seemed to have a lot more power than my 2010 cc sport. And the 2012 passat um, well not much enthusiasm there. The Passat sel prem is still nice though.

6. 07-20-2012 12:29 AM #56
      My biggest regret with my Passat 2.5 SE is not sticking with the TDI model. I bought this car after my 06 Jetta TDI broke down on me.

Vehicles
      2012 passat tdi se
      07-20-2012 01:16 PM #57
      i wish i would of bought sooner. i ended up buying a passat se tdi with a manual tranny. i drove both a jetta loaded tdi with a manual. if i wasn't a big guy( a lot more shoulder rooming the passat) i would of bought the jetta.

8. 07-20-2012 09:28 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by BBCoach34 View Post
      I get an occasional creaking noise as well most noticeable going in and out of my driveway. I'm not sure if it's the steering or the suspension (or maybe even the brakes). I don't "feel" anything, but just hear an occasional creak. Does that describe your problem? Let me know what turns up...
      My noise was not occasional. It was constant creaking.

The car is back from the dealer. New front springs installed. The noise is gone completely.

The ride and handling seem to be much improved. I still feel some up and down movement but it is much less pronounced.

Handling seems to be much improved.

9. 07-23-2012 07:52 AM #59
      I also got the bolts rattling loose in the trunk. Other than that...the thing just runs. RNS 510 is still slow. I am looking at all the other tech out there and wondering why this seems so far behind.

10. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      12 B7 3.6, 11 Golf TDI, had an 09 TDI, and GTI 03, and GLS
      08-05-2012 08:06 PM #60
      I do have one regret.... Just realized today - no pass-through, ahhhhh. My Golf had that, I never checked the B7 SE VR6. Love the car still.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat SE - Candy White
      08-05-2012 09:22 PM #61
      My regret is not getting the Passat the first time. Instead, I had a 2012 Beetle. That thing was riddled with problems!!! Known window issue, A/C problems, body molding falling off, seat foam getting shredded or disintegrating, etc. Luckily VWoA gave me credit towards a new VW and the dealer worked with me. They were able to get is so that my payment is less than it was with the Beetle, lower interest rate, and a better car overall. I LOVE MY PASSAT!

12. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
      08-11-2012 06:08 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by biturbocurious View Post
      TDI?
      If you just want to get rid of it, I will take it. I could use another great car. Took a Jetta for a ride prior tobuying this. Had a B 5.5 TDI. Loved that. This B7 rides similarly to the B5.5. The Jetta rides like a Cavalier. Every jounce in a concreet freeway is felt. Not my idea of a nice ride. The Hankooks suck, but they can be replaced. I am sure that a good set of Michalins would make a huge difference. I cannot iagine someone not liking the ride. Maybe something is wrong? Not enough air pressure? I would not run these tires at the placard setting. They have been at 51 since delivery. Try it. You may like it much better.

13. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
      08-11-2012 06:11 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by biturbocurious View Post
      TDI?
      I dislike the way my Passat drives. In fact, it is the worst riding and the worst handling car I have ever driven. The ride is very soft, way softer than any other car I have driven. The damping rates are extremely inadequate, which results in the car bobbing up and down after each road imperfection. It feels like my front shocks are completely blown. Handling wise, the body roll is atrocious. If I take a corner at half the speed my other car feels comfortable at, the Passat feels like it is going to flip over. Definitely not a car I would want to autocross.

When I got the Passat I had a 1996 Buick Century Wagon with 130k+ miles on it. We were moving house, so the Buick was a temporary car to assist with moving, Home Depot runs, etc. Well, the Buick rode beautifully compared to the brand new Passat, with well controlled (if soft) suspension movements and nice, controlled handling. Brakes had better feel, too.

My daughter absolutely hates the Passat because she gets nauseous in it every time. All the up and down and diagonal movement of the chassis makes her sick.

Other than the way it drives, it suits us well. It is roomy, the seats are comfortable. I like all the features. I absolutely love the look and design of the interior. Ergonomics are fine and I am very glad it has a real key and a real handbrake. Clutch feel is great, engine power is great and fuel economy is terrific. It has a huge trunk, too. I am very disappointed that heated mirrors are not standard -- I have never had a European car without them before. Even Jetta S has heated mirrors!

We dislike driving our Passat so much that we avoid driving it as much as possible. It only has 2500 miles since November.
      If you just want to get rid of it, I will take it. I could use another great car. Took a Jetta for a ride prior tobuying this. Had a B 5.5 TDI. Loved that. This B7 rides similarly to the B5.5. The Jetta rides like a Cavalier. Every jounce in a concreet freeway is felt. Not my idea of a nice ride. The Hankooks suck, but they can be replaced. I am sure that a good set of Michalins would make a huge difference. I cannot iagine someone not liking the ride. Maybe something is wrong? Not enough air pressure? I would not run these tires at the placard setting. They have been at 51 since delivery. Try it. You may like it much better.

Vehicles
      '13 B7 TDI SE M
      08-14-2012 11:14 AM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by veedubbin View Post
      Well we got one. We are picking it up friday at 2pm. Candy white S manual.
      You've made a great move Dubbin... Congrats on your purchase.
      '13 Passat TDi SE M, Eagle GT wrapped SAGITTA 19s
      '03 Ford SD 250, 7.3L PowerStroke
      '73 Bronco Ranger, Rollerized 5.0

Humility Before Honor

Vehicles
      2013 CC 6MT
      08-14-2012 01:33 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by Bl4ckp4nt0m View Post
      I have a '12 Passat SEL; Great car, 1 big regret. Wish I bought a TDI SEL.
      I wondered if I would have kept mine if I made the same decision as you.

But all things in the passat was cheap quality. It held up great but there were little things that just seemed cheap. Case and point the hinge which became covered a year later. Or the fact the area by the pedals was not carpeted. The pillars were platic instead of cloth and on and on.

I have heard people complain about the quality of the beetles, but I love mine! im buggin!

16. 08-14-2012 07:53 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by gwernerjr View Post
      Or the fact the area by the pedals was not carpeted.
      That area is not carpeted because it's meant to be a "dead pedal" to rest your foot on.

I'm with you though on the trunk hinge covers.

Yours
      Vern

Vehicles
      2012 Passat TDI DSG
      08-14-2012 10:26 PM #67
      Passat TDI currently with 22,000 Kms and ZERO issues. Certainly the best new VW I have ever owned.

Vehicles
      2013 CC 6MT
      08-15-2012 10:45 AM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by VernK View Post
      That area is not carpeted because it's meant to be a "dead pedal" to rest your foot on.
      No the area by where the brake pedal is is not carpeted buddy, and for 34,000 thats bs

19. 08-15-2012 11:07 AM #69
      Do you mean to the left of the brake pedal? That's the only spot not carpeted on my car, and like I said it's a dead pedal area.

Yours
      Vern

Vehicles
      2013 CC 6MT
      08-15-2012 11:24 AM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by VernK View Post
      Do you mean to the left of the brake pedal? That's the only spot not carpeted on my car, and like I said it's a dead pedal area.

Yours
      Vern

no look behind the brake pedal, the carpet just stops. you can see insulation, and this is how it is on all passats i checked the ones on the lot too. I don't know how you don't see this.

Anyways, cheap like i said.

21. 08-15-2012 11:36 AM #71
      I see what you're talking about now, above the pedals. It wouldn't of cost much to cover that, or even extend the closing plate for the pedal mechanism to the left to cover the insulation.

Fair criticism I'd say.

Yours
      Vern

22. 08-17-2012 09:54 AM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by Bl4ckp4nt0m View Post
      Tough call. I was deciding between a Jetta & Passat as well. Jetta is nice, but I thought the overall quality of the Passat was better. Passat is a lot bigger then Jetta and feels more comfortable.

It depends what you value more MPG (Jetta TDI) or space/luxary/better drive (Passat).
      2.5 in Passat much better matched then the Jetta config . Having had 5 Passats - the 2012 is by far the best trimmed out for the money (albeit , they are totally different cars). No real regrets , just a coule of small things that would make it better - the multi way seat adjustment missing the thigh adjustment , for example. Renting a ton of cars over the year for extensive business travel, I can tell you anyone who picks a Camry,Maxima, etc over the Passat is crazy - absolutely NO comparison - not even close. Other factors such as reliability (I lease - so dont care) can all sway people but from purely a "behind the wheel" experience - Passat is a truly great car at the price point

23. 08-19-2012 08:52 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by Wagon05 View Post
      2.5 in Passat much better matched then the Jetta config . Having had 5 Passats - the 2012 is by far the best trimmed out for the money (albeit , they are totally different cars). No real regrets , just a coule of small things that would make it better - the multi way seat adjustment missing the thigh adjustment , for example. Renting a ton of cars over the year for extensive business travel, I can tell you anyone who picks a Camry,Maxima, etc over the Passat is crazy - absolutely NO comparison - not even close. Other factors such as reliability (I lease - so dont care) can all sway people but from purely a "behind the wheel" experience - Passat is a truly great car at the price point
      Forgot to mention - NEED A WAGON CONFIGURATION - EUROPEANS STYLE IS WAGON -PERIOD

24. Member
      Vehicles
      2008 Passat, 2.0Tsi, 2015 Passat SE w/roof and nav, 2006 BMW Z4, 1997 Toyota Landcruiser
      08-20-2012 04:17 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by veedubbin View Post
      We are between an passat 2.5S manual and a jetta tdi. We are leaning toward the passat, does anyone have any regrets about buying a b7
      Have had our 2.5SE w/roof for three months now and 3200 miles. Knew about the issues with Hankooks so made sure dealer equipped with the Conti's. As noted, also still own a 2008 B6 since new for just over 4 years and 53K. The 2012 is primary wife's car but I just spent a long weekend driving it from Philadelphia to Burlington, VT on a good combo of 80mph I-87 interstate and two lane, twisting Vermont roads. Fortunately up to now, have had zero issues.....unlike some other poster's comments, car is very quiet...quieter than the B6.....and has virtually no wind/road noise....no squeaks or rattles. Actually prefer the ride on the highways over the B6, doesn't float.....not firm, but still has that "connected to the road" feel. The B6 has a slightly firmer stock suspension (and I have upgraded to the DG springs on my B6) but the B7 still drove fine on the Vermont twisties, just have to take it a little easier. As other posters have noted, a different set of shocks and maybe some wider tires from the stock 215's (B6 has 235's that give a grippier feel) should solve any issues for those who want the taut pure German/European road feel. After 7 hours (with one short break) still felt fine in the seats. Steering isn't has quick as the B6 but still fine. The 2.5 (also had in wife's previous '09 Jetta) feels different in the B7. It actually sounds decent, when starting and under acceleration) where in the Jetta, it sounded coarse and substantially noisier. Maybe its different/better insulation, but contrary to other comments, it sounds very quiet under normal driving, and when put into sport mode for passing, provides enough power and still sounds good. This was our first long trip and we averaged between 31-32 highway mpg.....500 miles on a tank on regular gas prices! Yes, the B7 didn't come with some of the B6 standards....dual sun visors, trunk pass thru, turbocharged motor, rear sun shade, but it does have the dual auto climate control and much more rear seat legroom, and was almost $3k msrp cheaper. To me, it still has enough German "feel/quality" and, in my opinion, remains one of the best buys out there. I said "issues up to now earlier" because after 7 hours in the car and only 10 minutes from home last night, clipped the rear end of a deer and broke the headlight......so trying to find a headlight assembly that costs less than the $565 dealer quote. (Also have a thread asking where to find a replacement light).
      Last edited by gphin305; 08-21-2012 at 10:08 AM.
      Current: 2008 Passat (Candy White) 2.0tsi / APR Stage 1 / "ABT" style front lip / Rear lip spoiler/ SS Tips / Drivers Gear Springs / Passat Door Sills / R-line Dead Pedal / 3M Wood Grain Dash Accents / ClearBra / 17" Monte Carlos with ContiExtreme DWS.....Current: 2015 Passat SE with roof and nav (Candy White).....Former: 2009 Jetta / 2003 Passat / 2003 Jetta / 2000 Jetta / 1968 Type 3 Beetle / 1965 Type 2 Microbus

25. Moderator
      Vehicles
      14 CC R-line, 07 expedition EL Limtd
      08-20-2012 10:03 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by gphin305 View Post
      .so trying to find a headlight assembly that costs less than the $565 dealer quote. (Also have a thread asking where to find a replacement light).
      many dealers on here offer us a little above cost on parts w/ very reasonable shipping. just in case you can't find a used one maybe this is a little cheaper for you..
      If you can't take the HEAT be a COP

2B1 ask 1

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast