Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Starting Point for Laying Out A New Web-Site?

1. 07-09-2012 07:59 AM #1
      Does anyone have any advice, articles, resources, or tools to help layout a new web-site?

I've started a new company and am in the process of developing the web-site, it's going to be highly interactive but I'm struggling with where to start in terms of layout and I was curious to know if anyone has a good resource on do's and don't or other items to keep in mind while laying out the site etc?

Right not it's a complete blank sheet of paper and I'm struggling getting started as I can't fully see the finished product in my head since there are so many variables etc.

Vehicles
      2010 VW GTI 4D WHT
      07-09-2012 12:32 PM #2
      I don't know if you are the actual person building/coding it but a great resource is the TutsPlus Network. http://net.tutsplus.com/ This is the one for web developers. First and foremost you have to decide what the site's purpose is. Give it a focus and some direction. Then create and decide on a sitemap and the sections/page of the site. This will work like an actual map and keep the user's experience informative and seamless. If you have never done this before it might be wise to seek out professional help. Same principle as working on your car. I can personally do basic maintenance, but not a motor swap or custom build. Might be time to call a mechanic are study hard and learn as you go.
      It's a car, it's meant to be ****in driven. ~ elijah-

Vehicles
      '02 Cooper S
      07-09-2012 04:48 PM #3
      Here's a nice and comprehensive workflow http://www.webassist.com/free-downlo...v-workflow.php. All the info you could need...seriously...it's an INSANELY good resource!

As mentioned though, if you are not familiar with web design/development, I'd suggest getting some major help. Ahem...
      Don't like something? Report it. We can't be everywhere at all times.

4. 07-10-2012 09:14 AM #4
      Thanks guys! At this point we are just building a functional beta site to show potential investors, as we earn investment we will be looking for either a firm, freelancer, or employee who is well versed in web design to help perfect the site.

Basscase your link isn't working.

Vehicles
      BMP MKIV .:R32T, B8A4, LS3-86Z28(trkhor)
      07-10-2012 03:20 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Basscase View Post
      Here's a nice and comprehensive workflow http://www.webassist.com/free-downlo...v-workflow.php. All the info you could need...seriously...it's an INSANELY good resource!

As mentioned though, if you are not familiar with web design/development, I'd suggest getting some major help. Ahem...
      Quote Originally Posted by Still Lost View Post
      Thanks guys! At this point we are just building a functional beta site to show potential investors, as we earn investment we will be looking for either a firm, freelancer, or employee who is well versed in web design to help perfect the site.

Basscase your link isn't working.
      caseybdesigns.com was what he was trying to do and it still didnt work.. kinda funny.. a web guy having issues with his website lol
      ALL PRICES REDUCED
      Click me for apparel
      HAVE YOU SEEN THE VIDEO?
      .:::Exklusiv:::.

Vehicles
      2010 VW GTI 4D WHT
      07-10-2012 05:17 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by gnatman View Post
      caseybdesigns.com was what he was trying to do and it still didnt work.. kinda funny.. a web guy having issues with his website lol
      Talk about unfortunate timing...bummer. Timed out for me too.
      It's a car, it's meant to be ****in driven. ~ elijah-

Vehicles
      VW
      07-10-2012 08:26 PM #7
      hi, I'm not trying to thread jack but I was about to make this exact thread, well almost

I'm trying to start an at-home baking gig and I need to make a website
      I was told to just buy a domain name and a website template, but it appears to be a little more involved than that...I really just want a basic site with photos and an about me page, and a menu page
      help?
      (sorry OP, xoxo)

Vehicles
      '02 Cooper S
      07-11-2012 02:32 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by gnatman View Post
      It's my hosting! I need to write them an angry email....

edit: I log into my account to find out my account expired! I had no warning whatsoever, in fact I just renewed my domain with them in early June. My account has been expired since June 28th, I JUST sent oh, about 80 business cards with the photo CDs for a school's portraits I did. Awesome...how much potential business did I just lose?

Fvck Just Host.

/threadjackrant
      Last edited by Basscase; 07-11-2012 at 02:46 AM.

Vehicles
      '02 Cooper S
      07-11-2012 02:33 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by mkII_short_dub View Post
      hi, I'm not trying to thread jack but I was about to make this exact thread, well almost

I'm trying to start an at-home baking gig and I need to make a website
      I was told to just buy a domain name and a website template, but it appears to be a little more involved than that...I really just want a basic site with photos and an about me page, and a menu page
      help?
      (sorry OP, xoxo)
      PM replied shorty!

10. 07-11-2012 08:21 AM #10
      no worries short dub, you request is quite a bit different than mine in the grand scheme of things....if you can find a connection or information from my thread then thats a good thing

good luck with you gig!

07-14-2012 02:01 AM #11
      the best approach for both of you is to throw up a wordpress site and find a theme you like and buy/use it.

Any other (cheap) method discussed here will look cheap and unprofessional. which is fine if that is what you are going for

12. 08-15-2012 11:37 PM #12
      In my humble opinion, you can ask free quote from web development companies.
      Easiest Way to be Found Online! London search engine submission