Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Clutch and Thermometer Issues

1. 07-09-2012 10:34 PM #1
      I have a 2001 Jetta GLX VR6 and I have 2 issues. 1st, the clutch doesn't engage till about inch off the floor. how do I adjust? I noticed it got progressively worse over the last week. I also hear a rattle when the clutch is not engaged. The 2nd part of my issue, is that thermometer reads at like -58 degrees. It might start out at the right temp but then it goes haywire. Problem is that when it's at -58, the air conditioning doesn't blow very cold. I am assuming because it thinks it's that cold outside. Please help, thanks

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1999/VW/Jetta MK4 VR6
      07-10-2012 09:15 AM #2
      Is the clutch slipping? What kind of grinding do you hear? Is it only when the car is not in gear or when it starts to engage the gear?

My thermostat issue seems similiar, it only goes up when it wants to. I believe mines the sensor because I just replaced the whole thermostat and t-stat housing.

3. 07-10-2012 11:46 AM #3
      its not slipping it just doesn't seem to engage. Until an inch off of the floor of course. Its starting to get hard putting into gear. the only gear it seems to grind al little into is reverse. As far as the thermometer, mine is my outside temp therm. Can those be recalibrated?

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1999/VW/Jetta MK4 VR6
      07-10-2012 12:10 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by owenscountry View Post
      its not slipping it just doesn't seem to engage. Until an inch off of the floor of course. Its starting to get hard putting into gear. the only gear it seems to grind al little into is reverse. As far as the thermometer, mine is my outside temp therm. Can those be recalibrated?
      I highly recommend you change the fluid in that trans. That is exactly what happened to mine and then 1 week later it was cooked and had to get a new one. Its like $20 for new fluid and $8 for the 17MM allen wrench to change it. As for the Thermo I have no idea, thought you were talking about engine temp.

5. 07-10-2012 02:02 PM #5
      Thanks for the info! I think it's the Throw out bearing though. That would be the reason for that squeak in the clutch i think. I'm going to change the Tranny fluid anyway (good suggestion)