Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Chondromalacia,... anyone else?

Vehicles
      2001 Golf GLS, 2013 Rogue, and some running shoes
      07-11-2012 01:16 PM #1
      Over the course of 5 days (3 days running) I built up 30 miles. A little more than normal. The cherry on top was my 4th of July 10k. After about 2 miles my knee felt like it was on fire, but I trianed too hard to give up. Which was a really stupid way to think. I fell away from the lead pack and finished 44:10. I walked home a bit upset at my time.

Anyways, after doing my online research, i found out the issue is Chondromalacia. How long did it take you to get over it? Did you just rest the knee? Did you exercise? I would like to keep exercising, but I hate workingout on elipticals and stationary bikes. I've been swimming, but it just doesnt feel the same. I will start stretching today since i was able to download some stretches good for the knee (hip, quad, hammy stretches), but would like to know what else is there? I would like to be better ASAP, since I will have to start at 0 and I have a half/maybe full marathon in November.
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      "We" tried it. It was called "metrosexualism" and it didn't work. Now the pendulum is on the other end, where men are trying to prove they're men by growing hillbilly beards. If they'd stop wearing their sister's jeans, it might actually work.

Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3, 2000 New Beetle 1.8t
      07-11-2012 01:43 PM #2
      As someone who just had to take two months off with a stress fracture, don't self diagnose.

Go get checked out. I thought I had a pulled hamstring. I spent three weeks going to physical therapy trying to get the hamstring to heal faster, before finally deciding to go see an ortho, got x-rays, found the stress fracture, and found out I really should have been doing all I could to stay off it.

If you really want to get back into working out quickly, go see a doctor. I wish I had back when I first was in pain.
      Cyber Green. It's not a color. It's a way of life.

'00 GLX Cyber Green / Cream, 5sp.

'12 Mini Countryman S All4 6sp.

Vehicles
      07-11-2012 02:18 PM #3
      I dont have health insurance, or alot of money to invest.
      "We" tried it. It was called "metrosexualism" and it didn't work. Now the pendulum is on the other end, where men are trying to prove they're men by growing hillbilly beards. If they'd stop wearing their sister's jeans, it might actually work.

Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3, 2000 New Beetle 1.8t
      07-11-2012 02:30 PM #4
      Gotcha. Rule of thumb with running injuries, if it hurts, stop.
      Cyber Green. It's not a color. It's a way of life.

'00 GLX Cyber Green / Cream, 5sp.

'12 Mini Countryman S All4 6sp.

Vehicles
      07-11-2012 03:11 PM #5
      I think I will just take off the rest of the month, and rebuild myself in August. If I still have problems,.... I will hopefully have money saved up to go to a clinic or something.
      Last edited by 4-Dr-W-a-T; 07-11-2012 at 03:18 PM.

Vehicles
      02 330i, 09 Flex, 01 Wrangler
      07-11-2012 06:32 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by 4-Dr-W-a-T View Post
      I dont have health insurance, or alot of money to invest.
      Unfortunately that will soon change

Vehicles
      07-12-2012 10:03 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by 01tj View Post
      Unfortunately that will soon change
      Tell me about it. If our president really cared, he would be helping those who cant afford it over taxing us......

I don't have health insurance by choice! I would love to have it!

Vehicles
      '95 Ẽfini RX-7 Type R
      07-16-2012 11:47 AM #8
      If you keep running you're going to get to the point where you never run again. What is your sex?
      "It would take a cross-wired star trek replicator, if not an act of God, to make a left-hand-drive Skyline GT-R for the U.S." - Don Schroeder

Vehicles
      07-17-2012 10:46 AM #9
      THankfully I've been icing the knee, keeping it up on a leg rest while at work, and taking ibuprofen and my chondroitin/glucosamine supplements. Right now, I'm able to do 15-20 minutes on a bike, about 10-15 on a treadmill (jogging, not my normal speed), and the swimming I can do until pigs fly. So I suppose now its a rehabilitation game... I just make sure to do ALOT of stretching.

Quote Originally Posted by GodSquadMandrake View Post
      If you keep running you're going to get to the point where you never run again. What is your sex?
      Male,.... does that make a difference?
      Last edited by 4-Dr-W-a-T; 07-17-2012 at 10:50 AM.

Vehicles
      '95 Ẽfini RX-7 Type R
      07-17-2012 11:07 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by 4-Dr-W-a-T View Post
      Male,.... does that make a difference?
      Well since you're not a woman, it probably isn't related to menopause so I guess not
      "It would take a cross-wired star trek replicator, if not an act of God, to make a left-hand-drive Skyline GT-R for the U.S." - Don Schroeder

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 mk5 GTI
      07-21-2012 12:38 AM #11
      Don't underestimate your bodies need for rest. I strained knee tendons almost two years ago. Took 5 weeks off after initially taking three off and having tge pain return after two easy runs. Went to Ortho, he set my mind at ease and said do nothing for 5 weeks. No problems with the knee since. Finally fixing my underlying hip issue and the knee is still fine. BTW it took just about 5 o six weeks to get back to 32 mile per week after the 5 week break. Rest worked great. No rest for 4 days leading up to a race is unconventional to say the least.

Vehicles
      08-24-2012 11:31 AM #12
      About 6 weeks later,... Im finally able to run again! Im starting slowly, doing plenty of stretching of legs, arms, everything. Im even starting some barefoot just for a more natural feel. To my surprise,... my legs prefer the more natural style. I am doing an everyother day plan. Run one day, swim the next.

In terms of races,... I could prepare myself for a stronger 5k, or a mediocre to bad half marathon in november. I think the halloween Monster Dash will give me a sign of what do go for...