Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate Zombiepocalypse ride??

Vehicles
      1996 Discovery 5spd, 1995 Z/28 'vert, 1988 5KTQ rally car, 1955 Pontiac Hearse, ~90 other cars
      07-11-2012 05:06 PM #1
      Played out question, but this thing is neat! I envy the mileage.
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-SUZUKI-...-/170874882792

Vehicles
      6 Tap Kegerator
      07-11-2012 05:26 PM #2
      "Ultimate Zombiepocalypse ride??"

My answer is .............. Nope.
      I really wish everyone would update their location in their profile!

Someone buy my car already!!

Always looking for free firewood to feed my hungry wood stove!

Vehicles
      1996 Discovery 5spd, 1995 Z/28 'vert, 1988 5KTQ rally car, 1955 Pontiac Hearse, ~90 other cars
      07-11-2012 06:05 PM #3
      You know this is getting like 40+mpg on the highway. I love 'mogs too, but practically speaking this thing might get you further away. For instance, this hotspring oasis I just camped at: https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=P...11&via=1,2&z=7

Amazing spot. It would be cool to get there and back on one tank of gas. The logical thing to do is install a MASSIVE gas tank on your vehicle of choice. I need at least 50 gallons on my gas-guzzling rover to make it anywhere useful....it's quite frustrating.

Vehicles
      6 Tap Kegerator
      07-11-2012 07:13 PM #4
      As often as this topic comes up a Mog still wouldn't be my choice either.
      I'm still sticking with a M35A2.
      I really wish everyone would update their location in their profile!

Someone buy my car already!!

Always looking for free firewood to feed my hungry wood stove!

Vehicles
      98 jetta vr6, 98 tacoma 3rz.
      07-12-2012 01:36 PM #5
      A little small for a Ultimate Zombiepocalypse ride, but that is my favorite beater 4x4 rig if i had the money. Maybe one day ill have one with the TDI and Toyota axles.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Toyota 4runner sr5
      07-14-2012 02:14 AM #6
      The reason this wouldn't be the ultimate survival rig is lack of available parts. You're set up until something breaks and you can't find a part to replace it. Toyota's, Jeeps, old American pickups. I would think those would be the ultimate because they are literally everywhere to scavenge parts off of.
      oh herro.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      5.3L Wrangler
      07-15-2012 08:21 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by unimogken View Post
      As often as this topic comes up a Mog still wouldn't be my choice either.
      I'm still sticking with a M35A2.
      Make mine a DUKW.

Easy access here in Philly...
      5.3L Wrangler work in progress
      Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Monkeys View Post
      "Less Forethought, More Welding"

Vehicles
      a2 mj b5 wk
      07-16-2012 02:14 PM #8
      the duk is a good choice, along with the duece.5 and unimog.

i'll toss the C303 in there but my choice is the 718M

but parts would be the issue along with mpg...
      rechts fahren

07-16-2012 06:39 PM #9
      Zombies will tear a soft top to shreds. Just sayin...
      Quote Originally Posted by Surf Green
      The real world is more ruthless than TCL, and sensitivity was never one of Darwin's strong points.

Vehicles
      a2 mj b5 wk
      07-17-2012 03:23 PM #10
      rechts fahren

11. 07-17-2012 03:52 PM #11
      Light, easy to tip over, under-powered, nigh impossible to get parts for, and a tissue paper top. Not criteria I look for in a vehicle to escape zombies.
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

Vehicles
      07-20-2012 09:47 PM #12
      I always kinda figured that, assuming you survive the initial chaos, fuel availability would be the biggest obstacle. I HAVE a bigger, tougher, very capable offroader already. I guess it depends on where you are when the sh*t hits the fan and what your escape plan is. GTFO is my plan. As far and fast as possible on one tank. Assume you can't refuel. You get ONE tank. How far can you get? One can't assume that refueling is an option unless you're carrying it with you.

Vehicles
      86 Frankenstein. 83 cabby 73 ghia 00 1500 95 trooper
      07-29-2012 07:03 AM #13
      im making a ZAV vehicle myself

mpg sucks tho
      "Why did you do that?"
      " I dunno, because is cool?"
      "Your an idiot"

-FossZ

Vehicles
      '97 T4r & an F-GS Thumper w/ 650cc of pure Austrian Powwa!
      08-14-2012 02:43 AM #14
      bump

Question, Seeking advice: Ive been playing around with the idea of throwing a diesel powertrain into my xj...

Any suggestions on What powertrain/donor-truck to look into???

Would like system to be:
      -Dependable/Reliable (well engineered, easy to work on when away from the shop)
      -Not overly complex (see above.. less to break and worry about)
      -Not overly Expensive (G-wagon,land rover/range rover, land cruiser need not apply)
      -Common parts (IF this ever became a ZEV, id have to think locally... fyi im located in PA)

any suggestions, comments or questions???

Vehicles
      08-14-2012 02:52 AM #15
      I know this is a common go-to, but if money was flowing out of my D_+*, this would be in my driveway

[IMG][/IMG]

Vehicles
      08-15-2012 02:43 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by autopulse View Post
      bump

Question, Seeking advice: Ive been playing around with the idea of throwing a diesel powertrain into my xj...

Any suggestions on What powertrain/donor-truck to look into???

Would like system to be:
      -Dependable/Reliable (well engineered, easy to work on when away from the shop)
      -Not overly complex (see above.. less to break and worry about)
      -Not overly Expensive (G-wagon,land rover/range rover, land cruiser need not apply)
      -Common parts (IF this ever became a ZEV, id have to think locally... fyi im located in PA)

any suggestions, comments or questions???
      I really shouldnt try to rob the thread, so I started my own in TCL Main
      http://forums.thecarlounge.com/showt...ing-for-advice

09-03-2012 02:25 AM #18
      A bicycle... (not a cheap one... I am talking more like a heavy duty trail ready bike)

I'll be laughing it up when I'm staying fit, SILENT, and never worrying about gas... while the rest of yall are caught by zombies when you run out of gas... or crawl under your ride to fix something.

Season 1 "the walking dead" when the guy goes into town and gets caught under that tank..... imagine that.... without a hatch to climb up... GG

Bicycle.
      No fuel, light weight, low maintenance... keeps you fit... quiet... You can drag it up a tree with you at night and sleep peacefully...Hide it in the bushes if you have to stay outta sight... Leaves little trail/markings behind to be tracked.. Can fit into much narrower / smaller area's... Can go downhill in the forest if you get a decent setup..

Just make sure you include a tire patch kit in your bug out bag.

I also have an SVT Raptor.... just incase I need to squash the innitial wave of zombies before I escape out of the back window onto the bike when I run out of gas in an hour.
      Last edited by HEH; 09-03-2012 at 02:28 AM.

09-03-2012 02:30 AM #19
      Or get a smart car and the zombies will leave you alone... They only eat people with brains, and only an idiot would drive one of those.

Vehicles
      '99 Golf TDI
      11-01-2012 03:05 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by HEH View Post
      A bicycle... (not a cheap one... I am talking more like a heavy duty trail ready bike)

I'll be laughing it up when I'm staying fit, SILENT, and never worrying about gas... while the rest of yall are caught by zombies when you run out of gas... or crawl under your ride to fix something.

Season 1 "the walking dead" when the guy goes into town and gets caught under that tank..... imagine that.... without a hatch to climb up... GG

Bicycle.
      No fuel, light weight, low maintenance... keeps you fit... quiet... You can drag it up a tree with you at night and sleep peacefully...Hide it in the bushes if you have to stay outta sight... Leaves little trail/markings behind to be tracked.. Can fit into much narrower / smaller area's... Can go downhill in the forest if you get a decent setup..

Just make sure you include a tire patch kit in your bug out bag.

I also have an SVT Raptor.... just incase I need to squash the innitial wave of zombies before I escape out of the back window onto the bike when I run out of gas in an hour.
      Then just picture the same part of the "The Walking Dead" where is on the horse 5 minutes earlier, you're bike doesn't have any protection against the zombies and you'll just get swarmed. I think I'll stick with my Golf TDI, 750+ miles on 15 gallons I'll be well out of the area by the time I run out of fuel.

11-01-2012 05:02 PM #21
      Staying fit is good but since the world has gone to hell in a hand basket, most people will be forced to get off their lazy asses and fend for themselves. (in most cases)

Most modern cars/trucks today aren't that loud to begin with so noise is over hyped. Unless you're talking about a diesel with bro stacks.

Again, most cars/trucks can cover 500+ miles on one tank. Some more, some less. Add in more than one person can drive when the other get's tired, the pro's heavily outweigh the cons. Also I'd like to get to my loved ones in the quickest amount of time possible. 500 miles on a bike? No thanks.

I'll take my pickup with 2 dirtbikes loaded in the back.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      14 Focus ST3 & 14 F-150
      11-07-2012 08:57 PM #22
      What about a armored truck?

Definitely be safe to stay in, and if its only you/2 people it'd probably be fine space was and you can get them w/ a diesel so should be reliable and large enough to run people over and push things out of your way.

Anyone? Thinking that's what I'll do...

Vehicles
      11 Silverado - 08 MDX Sport
      11-11-2012 12:23 AM #23
      Who says zombies can't climb trees?

The downside of the bike aside from defense is you increase your food and clean water needs and have very little capacity to carry supplies. Biking long distances has you burning thousands of calories each day. That means constantly exposing yourself to dangers to find food as you travel. If you are have a stable home base to work from I can see the use of the bike.

The walking dead may have it right for the perfect zombie car. A newer compact SUV....they are a good balance of room, light off road ability and fuel econ.

Me, I am looking for this:

Not fuel efficient but has a huge range. Two 100 gallon tanks give you a 1300 mile range. Sleeper cab gives plenty of room for sleep and its size makes short work of running over zombies. It can also move anything off the road with ease. With the doors locked the height of the windows would also make it hard to zombies to breach the cab. Parts are easy to find, exposed fuel tanks on other big rigs are easy to drill into and drain. Boxes on bed leave plenty of room for storage.
      11 Silverado 1500 Z71
      08 Acura MDX Tech/Ent/Sport

23. 11-12-2012 01:47 PM #24
      You have to balance fuel economy with fuel capacity.

While a Kia SUV may get 25mpg, it also may only carry 12-15 gallons, and while it has more pack space then a car, it may not be able to carry enough equipment. I would rather have a Quad-Cab Silverado or F150. At the very least an extended cab V6 Tacoma. Yes, fuel economy will suffer, 15 and 19mpg respectively, but they may still have greater range with 17-25 gallon tanks. On top of that, with the large payload capacity and bed you should be able to throw in a 100 gallon tank or 3x 55 gallon drums and fill them up with gas.

The problem with fuel economy is you are no longer “paying for it”. You are “taking” it, so while I may find a gas station with a full 20,000 gallon reserve, a week from today I’m either 400 miles away or it’s been drained by other scavengers. With a high efficiency car, yes I make better use of what I have, but it doesn’t mean I will have to find it less often; you’re still looking every 3-400 miles. With a beast, you can take advantage of those opportunities when you do find a stash of 50-500 gallons of fuel. With 185 gallons in position you’re range is now 2,775 – 3,515 miles.

The next question is Diesel vs Gas – Diesel obviously offers better economy, and fewer people will be ruining it, but it’s also not as common as gasoline…. Hmmm. A large diesel truck and horse trailer would be a good mobility option – if it comes to it, you can always lose the trailer to take to the trails and fields. Then latter, if you find something, you can always drag it back with you.

My problem with TWD was early on, they are in a highway littered with abandoned vehicles, no doubt most have the keys still in them or a dead owner with the keys on them near-by. So instead of picking the newest, best condition, best suited vehicle, they continue to drag around a 70’s RV that barely runs and an 80’s Ford F-series that would be lucky to see double digit fuel economy with no real benefit. Also… SHHH you don’t want to alert the walkers… *fires up Triumph Chopper running straight pipes*

Vehicles
      11 Silverado - 08 MDX Sport
      11-12-2012 05:41 PM #25
      Without power to run the pumps at commercial stations, the major source for fuel will be punching holes in the gas tanks of abandoned cars. Look at NYC/NJ these last few weeks. I didnt hear any stories of people stealing gas from stations that had no power. But plenty of people had to buy new gas tanks for their cars.

I like diesel for just that reason. If you find 1 semi, you have found 30-200 gallons of fuel. Plus home heating oil is just untaxed diesel. You find one oil truck and you have fuel for years. AND that same fuel stash can also heat a house. 1 Diesel VW caddy with a 100 gallon external tank could have a 5000 mile range.
      Last edited by Mabe; 11-12-2012 at 05:48 PM.
      11 Silverado 1500 Z71
      08 Acura MDX Tech/Ent/Sport

Vehicles
      07 Silverado & 09 750
      11-12-2012 08:58 PM #26
      its not the zombies youll have to worry about, its the scavengers, and thrown together renegade militias. I present the Marauder. Pretty far fetched for the average joe, but not impossible to obtain. and out of the gate it can handle any situation.
      http://maskofreason.wordpress.com/20...-survival-car/
      Last edited by never2low; 11-12-2012 at 09:07 PM.
      Burn rubber not your soul.

26. 11-12-2012 09:37 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Mabe View Post
      Without power to run the pumps at commercial stations, the major source for fuel will be punching holes in the gas tanks of abandoned cars. Look at NYC/NJ these last few weeks. I didnt hear any stories of people stealing gas from stations that had no power. But plenty of people had to buy new gas tanks for their cars.
      ]

Natural disasters are bad examples. Nobody in NY or New Orleans was ever under the impression the country collapsed and law and order would not be restored in short order.
      No one is stealing gas because they are trying to survive in NY, it's crime of opportunity with the storm as justification.

In a true apocalypse people would have hand pumps, portable pumps or run electricity off their trucks.

27. 11-12-2012 10:27 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Mabe View Post
      ]

Natural disasters are bad examples. Nobody in NY or New Orleans was ever under the impression the country collapsed and law and order would not be restored in short order.
      No one is stealing gas because they are trying to survive in NY, it's crime of opportunity with the storm as justification.

In a true apocalypse people would have hand pumps, portable pumps or run electricity off their trucks.

Vehicles
      2012 VW GOLF R, 2012 RZR 900 XP
      11-15-2012 11:05 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by HEH View Post
      Or get a smart car and the zombies will leave you alone... They only eat people with brains, and only an idiot would drive one of those.
      Best quote of the day
      United Motorsport 12.58@106 mph on 93 Octane
      Skela official test driver
      Texas Mile October 2010 171.6 mph

Vehicles
      YJ, G35x, OG Legacy
      12-03-2012 06:16 PM #30

GM M1009 CUCV
      Has a strong simple Detriot Diesel Engine with overbuilt axles and the legendary TH400 tranny, built to military specifications which not only means added ruggedness but will also be simple to maintain (no fiddly complicated electrical systems, no turbos). The K-5 variant would be able to store your gear safely inside and 4 passengers. Granted I'd want mine in top condition not a ragged out surplus vehicle.

Vehicles
      '01 Jetta 16v(!), '09 CC VR6, 2001 Mercedes R320 CDI, '01 Triumph TT Warbird, '01 R1
      01-15-2013 09:07 AM #31
      I picked this thing up last week, simply for zombie scenario. 1998 Burban 4x4, 350 with mods, 42 gallon tank, seats 8, has NAV, two TV's with digital tuners, four 110 outlets with a huge invertor, big ol Hotchkiss sway bars with Rancho shocks, etc, etc... I figure if this thing were to break down, you can walk anywhere within a 30 foot radius and you have any part you need using basic tools. For under $5000 you can't beat a Suburban as a ZAV.

Check out MrsShifty's 16v MkIV Build!

Robert Lackey - Service Manager, Fowler Volkswagen of Norman

31. 01-15-2013 10:20 AM #32
      Pfff.
      You guys all have great ideas, but this will blow you all right out of the water.

Now, your all saying "HUH? WTF is this guy talking about?"
      Well, I'll tell you.
      I live just a few miles from the FL Everglades.
      I spend a ton of time out there, and know what I can and can't eat.
      There's plenty of dry land if you know where to look, and it's surrounded by huge open patches of really thick, really deep, really sticky mud.
      As for food?

This post was monitored and approved by the NSA

32. Member
      Vehicles
      '98 A4. PSS9 and more to come
      01-15-2013 01:27 PM #33
      ^^^ one of the best zombie apocalypse ideas I've ever heard.

01-16-2013 03:16 AM #34
      Yes, let's hide out in a place with even more things trying to kill me. Sounds great.

34. 01-16-2013 02:38 PM #35
      Gators ain't dangerous man. Hell, if they hear you comin' you won't never see one.

Noise attracts "zack", not gators
      This post was monitored and approved by the NSA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast