Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Borla ATAK Dual-Pipe Cat-Back w/ X-Pipe for TT-RS

1. 07-12-2012 02:57 AM #1
      This is Alvin from Borla Performance Industries in Oxnard, California. Borla R&D is proud to share this exciting new product with the VWVortex community. After multiple prototype builds, sound evaluations, and performance testing, this bolt-on TT-RS exhaust is truly unique in the market.

Borla incorporates a dual-pipe system with Borla X-Pipe and TT-RS specific mufflers using patented Borla ATAK Technology. The Borla X-Pipe combined with our ATAK technology enabled Borla R&D to enhance the engine frequencies for a richer, higher-pitched exotic exhaust note. There is no annoying cabin resonace while cruising in the city or on the highway.

Please check our website for the official release and technical information of this exciting product.

Enjoy the video and thanks again for your interest in Borla!

Direct-Fit Exhaust Diffuser (Optional)

For those looking for a subtle appearance upgrade + functionality, here's a sneek peek at Borla R&D and the optional Direct-Fit Exhaust Diffuser.

From the beginning of Borla R&D for the TT-RS, there was a plan to integrate our Direct-Fit Exhaust Diffuser to enhance the look of your ride and reduce turbulence at the rear mufflers. This unique industry-first option will enhance the look of your TT-RS without modification or contact to any factory body panels. This Direct-Fit Exhaust Diffuser is thermal tested for adequate ventilation while in slow-moving traffic and high-speed track-tested for mechanical vibration, whistling. or unwanted cabin resonances. Sufficient ground clearance design is achieved by strategically positioning mufflers higher with symmetry along the vehicle centerline using 2.50" dual-pipe layout.

Designed specifically for the 140473 cat-back exhaust. This lightweight aluminum component is hard-anodized and the finish can can be customized by the owner to suit individual tastes. The Direct-Fit Exhaust Diffuser kit will include necessary hardware for installation. For service access or product maintenence, it is easily removable.

More details soon to follow... Preview
      Last edited by alvint@borla; 08-01-2012 at 05:54 AM.

Vehicles
      2005 Dodge SRT-4 ACR / 2011 BMW 135i (sold) / 2012 TTRS
      07-12-2012 07:20 AM #2
      BEST sound I have heard from the TTRS... I will be in Arizona in September (military move).... I WANT ONE!

Cost and other info needed please.

Is there by chance a muffler less straight pipe option coming? Cat Back or Turbo back? Please inform, I want this Audi-O orgasm when I drive my car!
      http://www.cardomain.com/member/dan-s/

ALL
      US Production Totals Thread Link. 2012 US Total: 641/140 Phantom Black Pearl
      "Boost is addiction, it's a passion, an insurmountable condition of absolute necessity" ~ Dan

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1937 Ford 5 window coupe, 1964 Lotus Elan roadster, 2012 TT RS
      07-12-2012 10:59 AM #3
      Sounds good!

Looks like the dual tone flapper valve is not used on this system.

I'll take one. PM me details and contact info.

Always been a Borla fan.

Gordon

4. 07-12-2012 11:35 AM #4
      Sounds very good and seems to maintain the characteristic higher frequency tones of the 5-cylinder which is very nice

Does this come with a secondary cat delete option? The images in the video are cut off right at that junction but from the color of the pipes it appears that the cats are still installed. Have you run the system without those? Any sound clips?

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Porsche Carrera 991/2011 MINI S
      07-12-2012 11:50 AM #5
      Sounds good without being obnoxiously loud. Since it's not on your website yet, how's about giving us a price and any options? Thanks.
      Houston, TX
      2012 Porsche Carrera 991

Vehicles
      07-12-2012 11:58 AM #6
      STILL NEED INFO PLEASE.... dont be such a tease!

P.S. I love the fact they kept out those ****ty valves, what a joke that crap is.

ALL
      "Boost is addiction, it's a passion, an insurmountable condition of absolute necessity" ~ Dan

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT RS
      07-12-2012 07:16 PM #7
      Just following along...would also like to see pricing, options, and performance statistics. Thank you!

Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT RS
      07-13-2012 09:48 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by alvint@borla View Post
      ... Please check our website for the official release and technical information of this exciting product. We have a limited number available today at our R&D facility in California.
      I cannot find this on the Borla website - please would you provide the link?

9. 07-13-2012 10:09 AM #9
      Thanks everyone for your comments and interest. This product has not been released on our website. I will post this information when available.

I've received multiple inquirys (on the single part available) and I'll give them priority.We plan our next build in TN and these will be available early August. Thanks again for your interest in Borla!
      Last edited by alvint@borla; 07-13-2012 at 10:02 PM.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Porsche Carrera 991/2011 MINI S
      07-13-2012 11:20 AM #10
      Thanks for the teaser then....I guess. Just sayin', I dig the sound of this, if it was available as a production item at an acceptable price, I would have ordered it on the spot. Still months away, my limited attention span is already drifting.
      Houston, TX
      2012 Porsche Carrera 991

11. 07-13-2012 11:34 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by mtbscoTT View Post
      Thanks for the teaser then....I guess. Just sayin', I dig the sound of this, if it was available as a production item at an acceptable price, I would have ordered it on the spot. Still months away, my limited attention span is already drifting.
      Months away? August is like 2 weeks away!

12. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT-RS, 2012 Audi A5 3.2
      07-13-2012 12:06 PM #12
      WOW... this sounds absolutely amazing. Best exhaust sound (in a video) I've heard yet!!!

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      07-13-2012 01:53 PM #13
      I'll be impressed if this sucker isn't crazy loud when cruising under any reasonable load (like the highway at 80 mph, or up a slight grade).
      2012 TT-RS in Suzuka Gray

Vehicles
      07-13-2012 01:59 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post
      I'll be impressed if this sucker isn't crazy loud when cruising under any reasonable load (like the highway at 80 mph, or up a slight grade).
      Gosh, I hope so..... Stock and sport exhausts suck from what im used to. If I can get this out of a four cylinder, I want to hear some balls on my 5....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56ORPfaSlDc&feature=plcp

ALL

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      07-13-2012 02:10 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Dan.S View Post
      Gosh, I hope so..... Stock and sport exhausts suck from what im used to. If I can get this out of a four cylinder, I want to hear some balls on my 5....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56ORPfaSlDc&feature=plcp
      I want to hear some balls on my 5 when I goose it, not when I'm commuting on the highway / talking to passengers / on a hands-free phone call / listening to music.

I like to think that someone can actually optimize the sound to be load dependent... or maybe a better-designed valve?

Vehicles
      07-13-2012 02:31 PM #16
      Valves are the dumbest things ever to be put into an exhaust system.

I drive a car of rthe joy of the car, everything else takes a side interest to that...

The first company to design a 3in no cat, no resonator straight pipe turbo back system has my order. And if not, then when I get back stateside ill build it myself lol.

ALL

07-13-2012 03:11 PM #17
      P.S. I love the fact they kept out those ****ty valves, what a joke that crap is.
      Come on now, don't be hating on my Switchy, it's awesome too! It's great that there are so many options emerging for such a limited production car.

2012 TTRS: Daytona Gray (wrapped in Avery Dark Gray Matte Metallic and Gloss Black) , CF Mirrors, Nexon CF Steering Wheel, OSIR Coolant Tank CF Shield, Tinted Tails
      GIAC Stage 2, AWE SwitchPath + cat-deletes, AWE FMIC, H&R RSB, MSS Sport Springs, AWE Boost Gauge, Wheels: HRE P40 19x9 et50; Borbet LV5 18x8 et35; TSW Interlagos 18x9.5 et53 w/Mich PSS 275/35

Vehicles
      07-13-2012 05:05 PM #18
      Its crap. Why pay to have a beautifully note at the press of a button when it's cheaper to leave out the valves and have it All the time? It's a gimmick and nothing more.

The only place an electronic switch has in an exhaust system is for an electronicly operated cutoff dump opening... Other than that electronics in exhausts are a retarded way to wring money out of customers for absolutely no gain in performance.

ALL

07-13-2012 05:38 PM #19
      Its crap. Why pay to have a beautifully note at the press of a button when it's cheaper to leave out the valves and have it All the time? It's a gimmick and nothing more.

The only place an electronic switch has in an exhaust system is for an electronicly operated cutoff dump opening... Other than that electronics in exhausts are a retarded way to wring money out of customers for absolutely no gain in performance.
      LOL, thanks for sharing! The performance is documented and very modest over the well designed OEM unit, the functionality...what you refer to as a gimmick... is what is best about it IMO. I like the ability to calm the beast when the occasion warrants it. I also like to let the beast out, what's wrong with having it both ways?
      2012 TTRS: Daytona Gray (wrapped in Avery Dark Gray Matte Metallic and Gloss Black) , CF Mirrors, Nexon CF Steering Wheel, OSIR Coolant Tank CF Shield, Tinted Tails
      GIAC Stage 2, AWE SwitchPath + cat-deletes, AWE FMIC, H&R RSB, MSS Sport Springs, AWE Boost Gauge, Wheels: HRE P40 19x9 et50; Borbet LV5 18x8 et35; TSW Interlagos 18x9.5 et53 w/Mich PSS 275/35

Vehicles
      07-13-2012 06:16 PM #20
      If thats your thing, that is great for you. But its not for me, nor any other automotive enthusiast I have ever met outside of the Audi brand.

I am a function over form guy any day, I don't like unneeded restrictions and gadgets to civilize my autos. I like them raw, in your face, and beastly 100% all the time, every time I turn the key. I dont care about quiet, comfort, or if anyone else has a concern about my car.

I think its even better when you have such a gorgeous car thats sleek as the TTRS and sounds like its ready to tear your heart out and burn it in C16.

UNCAGE MY BEAST! As nature intended. Raw and Wild.

That performance gain you talk about is because the valve OPENS UP.... meaning its closed most of the time, so your restricting power, no bueno in my world. But with that comes your tame exhaust note, so you dont mind it I take it. OK, but for us gear heads, its not an option we prefer.

You know, you can have all the power that you get with the valve opened and still have a tame exhaust note with re-modified resonators/mufflers and you wont have to worry about an electronic valve in your exhaust system that can foul up down the road, or short out, or any number of things. Less complication potential the better.

Again, just my opinion from my experiences and preferences.

ALL

07-13-2012 06:37 PM #21
      It's all good, to each his own. BTW, the system is less restrictive than the OEM system in either mode, even in the valve closed position. I have full 415hp/420tq available in either mode. The valve is actuated off boost anyway, so when you hammer it, the valve opens automatically and then closes back down if you're in touring mode. Otherwise, you can override the auto actuation and have it open all the time. The sound is epic and raw, just what you're looking for. I love it with the windows down and hammering backroads but it is a bit much for daily driving and cruising long term for my taste. That is where I appreciate the dual function, best of both worlds for me...and the Mrs!

22. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      07-13-2012 07:13 PM #22
      Valves are the dumbest things ever to be put into an exhaust system.

I drive a car of rthe joy of the car, everything else takes a side interest to that...

The first company to design a 3in no cat, no resonator straight pipe turbo back system has my order. And if not, then when I get back stateside ill build it myself lol.
      Really, valves in the exhaust to control sound on-demand are the "dumbest things ever"? If you don't think many people would want this functionality, you're not being intellectually honest.

I think if you took a survey of the TT-RS owners out there and asked if they would prefer an exhaust that gave you control over exhaust sound to make it loud when you want, and quiet when you want, you'd get an overwhelming response towards having the control.

Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT RS
      07-13-2012 07:21 PM #23
      Really, valves in the exhaust to control sound on-demand are the "dumbest things ever"? If you don't think many people would want this functionality, you're not being intellectually honest.

I think if you took a survey of the TT-RS owners out there and asked if they would prefer an exhaust that gave you control over exhaust sound to make it loud when you want, and quiet when you want, you'd get an overwhelming response towards having the control.
      Agreed - having no control is absolutely outdated and archaic! (think Model-T Ford from the previous century)

Having the option to control something on demand (if and when desired) is what current automotive technology should offer automotive enthusiasts. (think Audi TT-RS circa 2012)

24. 07-13-2012 08:55 PM #24

Wtf do you care about how someone else spends their money. Stfu and do what you like.

25. 07-13-2012 10:41 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by krenshaw View Post
      WOW... this sounds absolutely amazing. Best exhaust sound (in a video) I've heard yet!!!
      **********************************BORLA UPDATE********************************

I wanted to update those inquiring about pricing and current availability. We're currently sold-out of this cat-back exhaust and have plans for our next production run in early August at our TN facility (not in CA as previously mentioned) early August. All products are indentical using the same materials and design criteria.

The MSRP is planned at $1789.99 and this product will be released on our website early next week with a part number 140473. When it's released you can shop our dealers for your best price or buy direct from our website at www. Borla.com.

For those planning on attending WaterFest next week, a fellow Vortex/TT-RS owner will have the cat-back exhaust installed at this show. Please look for this post later in this thread.

Thanks again for your interest in Borla!

Vehicles
      07-14-2012 03:30 AM #26

That's what I'm saying.... This "crap" is only around in the Audi circle because they gave it to you as OEM, so you think it's great. And as I said, my experience outside of this circle, people would laugh at the idea just like I do and think its the most retarded thing since blinker fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by jpkeyzer View Post
      Agreed - having no control is absolutely outdated and archaic! (think Model-T Ford from the previous century)

Having the option to control something on demand (if and when desired) is what current automotive technology should offer automotive enthusiasts. (think Audi TT-RS circa 2012)
      Only in the Audi circles, as I said this is OEM ideas that are not beneficial. Think to any other exhaust make for any other marque brand, VOILA, they do not put valves in exhaust systems for a reason. If it was so great everyone would do it.

Quote Originally Posted by canuckttrs View Post
      Wtf do you care about how someone else spends their money. Stfu and do what you like.
      Do what the **** you want. Thats what I said ass hole. Why dont you try a bit of reading comprehension before you come off as a retard bitching about a non issue. Take your own advice and shut the **** up.

ALL

Vehicles
      07-14-2012 03:34 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by alvint@borla View Post
      **********************************BORLA UPDATE********************************

I wanted to update those inquiring about pricing and current availability. We're currently sold-out of this cat-back exhaust and have plans for our next production run in early August at our TN facility (not in CA as previously mentioned) early August. All products are indentical using the same materials and design criteria.

The MSRP is planned at $1789.99 and this product will be released on our website early next week with a part number 140473. When it's released you can shop our dealers for your best price or buy direct from our website at www. Borla.com.

For those planning on attending WaterFest next week, a fellow Vortex/TT-RS owner will have the cat-back exhaust installed at this show. Please look for this post later in this thread.

Thanks again for your interest in Borla!

$1789 for just a catback!!!!!! BWAHAHAHAHABAHAHhha. Yeah, no thanks. I'm an enthusiast,!not stupid. Guess I'll be making my own when I get back.

ALL

28. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      TTS
      07-14-2012 11:38 AM #28
      $1789 for just a catback!!!!!! BWAHAHAHAHABAHAHhha. Yeah, no thanks. I'm an enthusiast,!not stupid. Guess I'll be making my own when I get back.
      Agreed!

Also Dan.... Id like to add that you seem to be quite strong with your support for a "loud all the time" exhaust... You moved up to a TTRS from a Dodge Neon.... The Audi has and always will exude a certain level of class and sophistication. People that "typically" own these cars arent looking for a loud and obnoxious sounding car. No offence, but a kid with a loud neon and someone who typically owns a TTRS are two very different kinds of people..... typically. Here we go
      2011 Audi TTS*DensionFive*RNSe*WinterMode(S5'sFlatBlack/MichelinPA3)

29. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      07-14-2012 03:47 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by JPAV8S4U View Post
      Agreed!

Also Dan.... Id like to add that you seem to be quite strong with your support for a "loud all the time" exhaust... You moved up to a TTRS from a Dodge Neon.... The Audi has and always will exude a certain level of class and sophistication. People that "typically" own these cars arent looking for a loud and obnoxious sounding car. No offence, but a kid with a loud neon and someone who typically owns a TTRS are two very different kinds of people..... typically. Here we go
      $1800 doesn't sound that unreasonable given the development time needed to make an exhaust for a specific car that is as low-volume as the TT-RS.

Look at the APR cat-back exhaust for the S5: $2,100! You can bet your bum that the TT-RS version will be similarly priced.

Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT RS
      07-14-2012 05:17 PM #30
      Only in the Audi circles, as I said this is OEM ideas that are not beneficial. Think to any other exhaust make for any other marque brand, VOILA, they do not put valves in exhaust systems for a reason. If it was so great everyone would do it.
      In life, you have leaders/innovators and followers. Audi tends to be the former (look at what they are doing in motorsports - 24hr Le Mans, etc) and not the later, hence the innovation.

The ability to change the acoustic output on a performance vehicle at the touch of a button is absolutely beneficial and adds real value/choice.

Remember when Porche made the crazy move from air-cooled engines to water-cooled engines? That was also controversial, however look at what has transpired over time.

31. 07-14-2012 05:55 PM #31
      Welcome to modding an Audi. You'll find parts are a bit more expensive than they were for your Dodge.

32. 07-14-2012 07:07 PM #32
      That's what I'm saying.... This "crap" is only around in the Audi circle because they gave it to you as OEM, so you think it's great. And as I said, my experience outside of this circle, people would laugh at the idea just like I do and think its the most retarded thing since blinker fluid.

Do what the **** you want. Thats what I said ass hole. Why dont you try a bit of reading comprehension before you come off as a retard bitching about a non issue. Take your own advice and shut the **** up.
      Wow. Several OEMs offer valved exhausts. Porsche, Maserati and Chevrolet come to mind. Many more aftermarket companies offer valved exhausts outside of the Audi brand. And you think $1800 for a cat-back is expensive? LOL. Maybe you're used to neon modifications.

Vehicles
      07-15-2012 04:43 AM #33
      Everyone jammin on my dodge neon, and stating I jumped up from that to the Audi, your blind and ignorant and making assumptions based on what you THINK, and not facts. I represented that video because of the comparison. Could have also been a 79 Charger, a 90s M3, 05 STI, 13 ZL1, 11 135i still loud and badass. I don't care about people who usually do. The people and groups that I run with, they do. Performance is performance and we don't need to quiet it down for the sake of others. Flaunt I if you have it.

Yes I have a highly modified neon... Does it mean this is my first foray into other cars? You all make that assumption to further your opinions, nothing more.

Expensive is subjective to what your paying for and what reason. $2000 isn't a lot of money, but for a cat back system, I'd rather have you blow me. I have more money wasted and tied up in modifications to my cars than my TTRS is worth, money isn't the issue. It's value for the dollar.

On the subject of valves in exhaust by other marquees I was talking about aftermarket manufacturers, not OEM. I have had plenty of systems made for numerouse BMWs, Volvos, Asians, and the domestics and have NEVER once had valves in my systems or even mentioned in the last 15 years. It's a useless gadget in the performance world and only sought out by people in this crowd obviously.

ALL

Vehicles
      07-15-2012 06:17 AM #34
      And one last comment... People (for the vast majority) who tend to modify there cars for performance gains could care less about being quiet and civilized. Hence why they modify for power gains to begin with. Just because its a more expensive start, doesn't mean the attitude is any different than a kid who puts a card in his wheel spokes...

Call me a "kid" because I like a loud, mean sounding car.... Wow, yeah, nailed that one didnt you... Or is it because I own a louder, cheaper car.... way to throw millions of people into that group!

ALL

Vehicles
      '11 A3, '12 TT-RS, '14 CC R-Line
      07-15-2012 06:17 PM #35
      Lets try and not make this thread a debate between valved vs. non-valved exhaust systems. To each is their own, everyone has different tastes. We all should consider ourselves lucky that we have a TT-RS in the first place, and that there are so many exhausts systems available for us to choose from.

Borla used my car to develop the TT-RS exhaust, and I have been running it now since mid march, so about 4 months. Alvin and the guys at Borla had my car for almost a month fine tuning this system. It was totally OK with me, I don't daily my TT-RS and I was really exited to see what they could do given more time. Alvin and the guys are very professional, have great customer service - it was an awesome experience.

I LOVE this exhaust. Everyone who here's it is very impressed. If you have never heard a Borla multicore muffler in person - its awesome! This patented technology allows them to really tune the sound/tone and volume of the muffler. They do lots of frequency/decibel testing to get rid of in cabin drone to make sure the exhaust is livable but still has that great sound. Borla made a new muffler specifically for this system - so this is a truly custom and tuned exhaust system made just for the TT-RS by a company who's been specializing in exhausts for more than 30 years.

Typical description of this exhaust is: Surprised at how mean it sounds, great exotic tone, perfect amount of angry raspy noise without being too loud.

They experimented with many many different iterations until they came up with the best design. This exhaust is dual pipes all the way back, and even has beautifully crafted X-Pipe merge. I like the simple dual exhaust to dual muffler design, some of the other TT-RS exhaust systems that are offered seem over complicated. I also love the way this exhaust sits nicely and really hugs up under the car and has the symmetrical dual mufflers that can just barely be seen from the back. You loose the ugly single pipe going over the rear axles that hangs down and is visible from behind.

This exhaust is built 100% with premium austenitic stainless steel inside and out. Some systems claim full stainless, but the insides of the mufflers aren't. Designed and built in the USA, and has a million mile warranty. All Borla does is make mufflers and exhaust systems, that is their niche, they are the best at it. All this plus the R&D time spent on making a perfect sound justifies the price in my book - which didn't sound that high to me to begin with.

If you are in SoCal or NorCal and want to hear the exhaust let me know. I go to a weekly meet on Tuesdays in Huntington Beach, and another meet at the In-N-Out at El Toro and the I-5 freeway the last Thursday of very month. I travel to NorCal once a month, don't typically drive the TT-RS, but can if some of you would like to hear it in person.

Awesome X-pipe:

Dual muffler/pipe symmetrical design:

Looks awesome from behind:

Nice video showing a look at exhaust development for the new Mustang GT. They make 3 different systems for the new GT, all with different sound levels. It really shows their ability to tune an exhaust system. I like watching David Borla also, its obvious is a real car guy and really cares about the product with his family name on it. FF video to about 1 min.

When I was at the Borla facility I got to see some of their other awesome systems they make. One that really impressed me was the Ford GT exhaust that Borla makes for Ford Racing. It is an amazing piece of engineering and sounds insane!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast