Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Borla ATAK Dual-Pipe Cat-Back w/ X-Pipe for TT-RS

Vehicles
      2005 Dodge SRT-4 ACR / 2011 BMW 135i (sold) / 2012 TTRS
      07-15-2012 06:29 PM #36
      Touché bigstu. Great sound in any regard. Like I said though, full 3in, catless, no mufflers, valveless, turbo back... Id like to see and hear it.
      http://www.cardomain.com/member/dan-s/

ALL
      US Production Totals Thread Link. 2012 US Total: 641/140 Phantom Black Pearl
      "Boost is addiction, it's a passion, an insurmountable condition of absolute necessity" ~ Dan

2. 07-15-2012 07:41 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Dan.S View Post
      Valves are the dumbest things ever to be put into an exhaust system.

I drive a car of rthe joy of the car, everything else takes a side interest to that...

The first company to design a 3in no cat, no resonator straight pipe turbo back system has my order. And if not, then when I get back stateside ill build it myself lol.
      scorpion/forge has already done that, and its available in Titanium or Stainless steel.

Sounds awesome this Borla, but they need to make a turbo back exhaust, as this is no gain for the power hungry
      Audi TTRS: APR Stage 3+: Race Developments Built Motor, Race Developments Flowed Cylinder Head, APR FMIC, Scorpion Titanium Exhaust, VWR Engine Mounts, VWR Intake, Race Developments Superfinished GearBox, Helix Race Clutch,42Draft Shifter Bushing,Bilstein B16 PSS10, 034 Motorsport ARB,WhiteLine Drop Links,R8 Calipers,Braided Lines,Powerflex Bushes,Mintex 1155 Pads,SRF Fluid, Fusch Titan Pro S Oil, Recaro Pole Positions, Kenwood DNX5210BT.

3. 07-16-2012 12:44 AM #38
      Great writeup Stu, looks and sounds like a fantastic system! Is this a secondary cat back system? IE does it still run the midpipe cats? Have you tried it with those deleted yet?

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT-RS, 2012 Audi A5 3.2
      07-16-2012 12:54 PM #39
      GREAT post Stu. Thanks for the writeup & info.

Quote Originally Posted by alvint@borla View Post
      **********************************BORLA UPDATE********************************

I wanted to update those inquiring about pricing and current availability. We're currently sold-out of this cat-back exhaust and have plans for our next production run in early August at our TN facility (not in CA as previously mentioned) early August. All products are indentical using the same materials and design criteria.

The MSRP is planned at $1789.99 and this product will be released on our website early next week with a part number 140473. When it's released you can shop our dealers for your best price or buy direct from our website at www. Borla.com.

For those planning on attending WaterFest next week, a fellow Vortex/TT-RS owner will have the cat-back exhaust installed at this show. Please look for this post later in this thread.

Thanks again for your interest in Borla!
      As Alvin posted above, Borla is currently shipping me this system and I'm going to have it installed this week in time for Waterfest. I'll keep you guys posted on when I'll be there, if you want to set up a time to meet up and see/hear the exhaust in person.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnLZ7W

Great writeup Stu, looks and sounds like a fantastic system! Is this a secondary cat back system? IE does it still run the midpipe cats? Have you tried it with those deleted yet?
      John - This system does still retain the stock midpipe cats.

I actually have the AWE cat delete pipes on order and will be having them installed in a month or so. So, I'll do my best to get a sound clip up here for you guys after that install as well.

5. 07-16-2012 01:54 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by JohnLZ7W View Post
      A pair of Off-Road-Use-Only mid-pipe (no catalytic converters) was considered but we didn't know if there was customer interest... This would add sound to our cat-back (3-5 dBA) and improve flow. Would make perfect sense for a track-car with tune.

Pic of OE mid-pipes...
      Last edited by alvint@borla; 07-18-2012 at 12:01 PM.

6. 07-16-2012 02:10 PM #41
      A pair of Off-Road-Use-Only mid-pipe (no catalytic converters) was considered but we didn't know if there was customer interest... This would add sound to our cat-back (3-5 dBA) and improve flow. Would make perfect sense for a track-car with tune.
      There's certainly interest but since Milltek, 034 and AWE already have pipes available is probably not worth adding to the mix. Was just curious how much the sound changed with them decat midpipes and seems like krenshaw should find out soon!

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Audi TT RS
      07-16-2012 11:26 PM #42
      Apologize if I missed it, but what are the pipe dimensions? If I'm going to cobble together a turbo-back, I'd like to anticipate compatibility issues with down- and mid-pipes (e.g., 034).

BTW, I saw the system go up on Borla's site and would have purchased but I would like see some more details...and performance stats--if they exist.

I've run Borla systems on most of my cars (Super Snake and GT-R most recently), and am very excited to see this system come out for the TT RS...just hoping for a little more detail.

Cheers,
      Mike

8. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 GTi /2012 TTRS
      07-16-2012 11:50 PM #43
      hmmmm..... this looks very interesting .... love how tucked in/ symmetry as well as sounding badass...

am i correct in assuming this exhaust is everything back of the cats?

seems to use the same cats as OEM ( they don't look like high flow cats)

wondering if it would mate up with the new APR downpipe for stage II goodness...
      2007 GTi Black Magic, APR Stage 2+
      2012 TTRS Sepang Blue on Titanium Blades.....

Vehicles
      '11 A3, '12 TT-RS, '14 CC R-Line
      07-17-2012 12:04 AM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by YYC Dubber View Post

Yes, you are exactly right. OEM cat pipes are retained allowing you to use any of the aftermaket cat delete offerings.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      07-17-2012 12:11 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by YYC Dubber View Post
      hmmmm..... this looks very interesting .... love how tucked in/ symmetry as well as sounding badass...

wondering if it would mate up with the new APR downpipe for stage II goodness...
      Looks like the APR downpipe exits to a single 3" pipe, so it wouldn't be compatible with these twin-pipe exhausts like stock.
      2012 TT-RS in Suzuka Gray

11. 07-17-2012 02:09 AM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post
      Looks like the APR downpipe exits to a single 3" pipe, so it wouldn't be compatible with these twin-pipe exhausts like stock.
      All of the aftermarket downpipes (APR, Milltek, Scorpion) have been single exit so far. I doubt anyone will do a split like OEM has.

12. 07-18-2012 12:00 PM #47
      All of the aftermarket downpipes (APR, Milltek, Scorpion) have been single exit so far. I doubt anyone will do a split like OEM has.
      I believe one company offers a direct replacement without catalytic converters....

13. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      07-27-2012 09:28 AM #48
      Hey guys...

Well, I got the exhaust installed yesterday afternoon. I have one word: IMPRESSIVE!

I've only had about 45 minutes of seat time in the car to enjoy it so far, but I've driven a good mix of roads (backroads, city and highway) to give some good initial impressions.

First off, what I didn't expect: I didn't expect to feel a noticeable gain in power/torque -- but I do. I had to really think about it and feel for it, to make sure that it wasn't just my mind playing with me, thinking it's more powerful because of the increased sound. No, it really did pick up some noticeable power on the ol' butt dyno. It was clearly evident on my ride to work this morning: I rolled on the throttle at around 60 mph in 6th gear (a lazy pass) and there was immediately more power there. It's not Stage I ECU more power, but it's definitely a discernible gain. I really wish I had the time & availability to get the car baseline dynoed before the exhaust install, but it just wasn't possible.

What I did expect: THE SOUND -- It sounds amazing. For quick comparison sake, the car actually sounds a LOT like a Gallardo LP-560 I drove recently -- no joke! This system really brings out that "mini-V10" or "1/2 V10" sound. It's definitely louder than my Sport Exhaust (with flapper mod), but by no means uncivilized. Cruising through my neighborhood, it's louder, but not offensive. But, when you really get on the throttle, it sounds beautiful! At highway speeds there is ZERO drone -- none. I think my Sport Exhaust might have been louder inside the car in this situation.

Lastly, there is definitely some weight saving to be had. As the shop tech was loading my old exhaust into my other car for me, he commented that "that new system is a hell of a lot lighter than this thing!"

If the weather cooperates this weekend, I'm going to get some outside the car videos to share with you all and definitely some in car clips as well. Also, as I get more time in the car, I'll certainly post up more thoughts. One thing is for certain -- I'm going for a drive at lunch time today!

Any questions, feel free to ask.

14. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1937 Ford 5 window coupe, 1964 Lotus Elan roadster, 2012 TT RS
      07-27-2012 10:41 AM #49
      Thanks for the great write up! Sounds about what I expected. I ordered mine a while ago and can't wait. Borla is also currently offering a good web discount that cuts the price down some more. I just hope they are still on for an early August production schedule.

Having a killer sounding car, motor, exhaust is almost better than listening to the stereo. But you still have to watch the speedo so you don't get in trouble with speeding tickets.

15. 07-27-2012 11:13 AM #50
      Yay!! Finally an exhaust that seems to get it right and enhances the mini V10 sound! Are you running the Milltek decat pipes yet? Can't wait to hear some sound clips of this.... must start my exhaust fund

16. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      07-27-2012 12:23 PM #51
      No, no cat delete pipes yet. Those should be coming around the 2nd week of August. It's nice to enjoy 'just' the Borla right now -- but I think with the cat deletes this thing is going to wail at WOT!

GordonM, you're going to love it! My only complaint is that I'm going to loose $$$ on my Sirius subscription because I may never turn my stereo on again . In all seriousness though, it really does sound that good. And, I know I said it in my previous post, but I really can't get over how much this sounds like the Gallardo I drove.

Time to go for a drive!

17. 07-27-2012 02:39 PM #52
      Hopefully it sounds something like this with the cat-delete

Vehicles
      '11 A3, '12 TT-RS, '14 CC R-Line
      07-28-2012 11:21 AM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by krenshaw View Post

GordonM, you're going to love it! My only complaint is that I'm going to loose $$$ on my Sirius subscription because I may never turn my stereo on again . In all seriousness though, it really does sound that good. And, I know I said it in my previous post, but I really can't get over how much this sounds like the Gallardo I drove.

Time to go for a drive!
      Glad you love the Borla as much as I do Krenshaw!! It does sound really good, and you're absolutely right it captures that mini v10 sound. I thought I was a little crazy for loving the sound that much, very glad you agree!

LOL at the part about loosing money on Sirius. When I first got the exhaust I told Alvin at Borla I found a new radio station......its called OFF with the windows down to hear the beautiful 5cyl sound! Thanks Borla!!!!!

Also....I have to ask.....since you are going with the cat delete pipes, have you thought of just selling those and grabbing the APR downpipe/cat delete setup for use with standard cat back exhaust? I think that will be the ultimate setup, and it's is officially next on my list

Congrats and enjoy the new system, thanks for the detailed post Krenshaw!!!

19. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 TT-RS
      07-28-2012 02:05 PM #54
      No dount it sounds great when you want to hear it. My question is, is it too loud for when the car is a daily driver when you sometimes don't want to hear it (when you're on a phone call or taking to a passenger on a long trip)?
      2012 TT-RS in Suzuka Gray

20. 07-28-2012 06:52 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by bigstu View Post
      Also....I have to ask.....since you are going with the cat delete pipes, have you thought of just selling those and grabbing the APR downpipe/cat delete setup for use with standard cat back exhaust? I think that will be the ultimate setup, and it's is officially next on my list

Honestly I thought the first video of the APR system sounded better and I think that was just the catback. Same thing with the Milltek clips, I think the catbacks sounded better. IMO, so far anyway, the downpipes have not improved the sound of the stock system.

21. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      07-30-2012 01:02 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post
      No dount it sounds great when you want to hear it. My question is, is it too loud for when the car is a daily driver when you sometimes don't want to hear it (when you're on a phone call or taking to a passenger on a long trip)?
      Marty: I think that question can truly only be answer by yourself. I've read that, for some people, the Audi Sport Exhaust was too loud. For me, I flapper modded mine right away and still wanted more volume/sound.

In my opinion, this system is perfect for a daily driver (which, my TT RS is). I had no issues on a bluetooth phone call and I actually did have the radio on this weekend, with no listening issues.

I also had my first sample of windows up driving this weekend. Since the weather around here was complete shyte all weekend long, I spent a good amount of time at highway speeds and city driving with the windows up. Again, no drone, and I certainly didn't find it too loud.

Unfortunately, do to said crappy weather, I wasn't able to capture any vids or sound clips to share with the group this weekend as planned.

22. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      07-30-2012 01:11 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by bigstu View Post
      Glad you love the Borla as much as I do Krenshaw!! It does sound really good, and you're absolutely right it captures that mini v10 sound. I thought I was a little crazy for loving the sound that much, very glad you agree!

LOL at the part about loosing money on Sirius. When I first got the exhaust I told Alvin at Borla I found a new radio station......its called OFF with the windows down to hear the beautiful 5cyl sound! Thanks Borla!!!!!

A big thanks to you, Stu, for working with Borla on this system. If you ever come to the east coast, I'd like to by you a or two!

I have been thinking about that APR downpipe, but I just don't know. I still think I'm going to get some really good flow from the secondary cat deletes. From a sound standpoint, I like how they added just a bit of *rasp* to the Sports Exhaust and I'm thinking/hoping it'll do the same now w/ the Borla system. Besides, if you're definitely going with the APR setup, maybe I'll just stick with the AWE cat deletes to be different. I mean, we can't have TWO Suzuka RS's, BOTH with identical setups on here can we?!? It would be like some awkward east/west coast stalker thing

23. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 Audi TTRS Volcano Red
      07-30-2012 01:16 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by Black BeauTTy View Post
      Come on now, don't be hating on my Switchy, it's awesome too! It's great that there are so many options emerging for such a limited production car.
      You know I love your Switchy but I have to tell you right now the Borla would be in the running if not for that damn private school tuition keeping momma from upgrading

BTW- met with another local expecting delivery in about 2 weeks - he's dying to see/hear yours. PM'ing you with his info. And when you putting together that next GTG.

24. 07-30-2012 04:27 PM #59
      I wanted to share more images of 140473 installed today. These Borla ATAK mufflers are tuned specifically for the TT-RS incorporating patented Multi-Core technology for optimal performance.

System finish is brushed austenitic stainless steel..

Center bracket detail..

07-30-2012 06:13 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by redz9269 View Post
      You know I love your Switchy but I have to tell you right now the Borla would be in the running if not for that damn private school tuition keeping momma from upgrading

BTW- met with another local expecting delivery in about 2 weeks - he's dying to see/hear yours. PM'ing you with his info. And when you putting together that next GTG.
      It really does sound good, can't wait to hear one live. None of the video's capture the true sound of the Switchy correctly and I'm sure the same is true for the others. I still like the switching capability though and the decoupling from the S button.

Send the guy my way, I'd love to give him a spin...it'll make the wait even more agonizing though!
      2012 TTRS: Daytona Gray, Tech Pack, Heated Alcantara, CF Mirrors, Nexon CF Steering Wheel, DG Rear Valence, wrapped in Avery Dark Grey Matte Metallic and Gloss Black
      GIAC Stage 2, AWE SwitchPath + cat-deletes, AWE FMIC, H&R RSB, MSS Sport Springs, HRE P40, AWE Boost Gauge, Tinted Tails, OSIR Coolant Tank CF Shield
      Winter: Borbet LV5 18x8 et35; Track: TSW Interlagos 18x9.5 et53 w/Mich PSS 275/35

26. 08-01-2012 05:59 AM #61
      Hope you can hear it live!

27. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      08-01-2012 09:09 AM #62
      ^^ We're working on that.

28. Member
      Vehicles
      '12 Audi TTRS Volcano Red
      08-01-2012 11:23 AM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by krenshaw View Post
      ^^ We're working on that.
      Excellent! You know when it's done and I'm coming up to hear it in person

29. 08-01-2012 11:58 AM #64
      Hey, when did you sneak that diffuser in there? I've been looking to add something similar the last couple of weeks. This looks like a really nice piece of kit!

30. 08-01-2012 03:03 PM #65
      Hey, when did you sneak that diffuser in there? I've been looking to add something similar the last couple of weeks. This looks like a really nice piece of kit!
      The Exhaust Diffuser was planned from the beginning when we were planning the exhaust paths.
      I wanted to share this development and I welcome your comments.

31. 08-01-2012 03:56 PM #66
      The Exhaust Diffuser was planned from the beginning when we were planning the exhaust paths.
      I wanted to share this development and I welcome your comments.
      I didn't think it was in the original post, although maybe I was just distracted by the initial video

So what I had been working off of was a local R8 which had diffuser strakes attached to the stock rear valence, I wish I had taken a pic of it. The TTRS already has two small strakes attached to the lower valence. The entire rear valence section on the TTRS is three separate pieces; the honeycomb, the slim trim piece and then lower valence with the strakes. My plan was to replace the third piece with something that had 4-6 taller strakes than stock.
      The downside of something like that is that they'd be fairly high off the ground and might look a bit goofy. Your solution seems better integrated.

The only critique I can make from the video posted is that it does maybe look a bit odd to have the two strakes on the valence and then the full on diffuser below that. I understand it would probably be cost prohibitive to also replace that valence panel and maybe it's not so weird in person.

The height and location of your valence looks really good though! Maybe with slightly longer strakes out towards the back of the car? I suppose it's already cut off at the valence line so it doesn't protrude too far. There's a definite balance here between adding aggression and going over the top. The diffuser on my friend's Exige hangs out quite a bit but that's much more appropriate on that car. On the RS having something that aggro would look tacky.

Sorry for the very long winded reply, I'm just excited to see a product like this being developed for the RS

32. 08-01-2012 04:13 PM #67
      Wow, Borla comes out of no-where with what appears to be a knockout.
      I wasn't really planning on buying a cat-back. (love the factory minus cats) but that diffuser would be nice in black.
      13 Passt TDI 6MT
      13 GTR

33. 08-05-2012 01:17 PM #68
      Any functional improvements from the rear diffuser piece? Or is it just for looks?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

34. 08-06-2012 01:46 AM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by hightechrdn View Post
      Any functional improvements from the rear diffuser piece? Or is it just for looks?
      This is (mostly) an aesthetic component that also functions to reduce drag below our mufflers.

What's most unique about our Exhaust Diffuser is the direct attachment to our cat-back and no direct contact to the OE body panels. It is simple to install and removed.

35. 08-06-2012 10:30 AM #70
      This is (mostly) an aesthetic component that also functions to reduce drag below our mufflers.

What's most unique about our Exhaust Diffuser is the direct attachment to our cat-back and no direct contact to the OE body panels. It is simple to install and removed.

Can you post up a video of the car with the diffuser outside on pavement? That would help provide a better view of the effect and better lighting to see how it blends with the factory rear valance, shape of the car, etc.

If the diffuser looks good when the car is off the lift and our of the shop, you have most likely earned another customer. I have to wait until Q4 before having some free money to modify my TT-RS, but the time is coming quickly

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast