Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: in-ground fence system

07-13-2012 10:21 AM #1
      anyone have any recommendations for in-ground fence kits.

We decided to get one for our new house, since it has a big back yard and no fence. We won't be able to afford a fence until next year. So I thought this would be a good way for him to enjoy the backyard without a leash and without running into the street.

Vehicles
      SLUG
      07-23-2012 06:31 PM #2
      if you don't want to get too crazy with the install, they make wireless/portable systems, and usually you can adjust or add transmitters for larger yards.

http://www.petsafe.net/products/fenc...ainment-system

http://www.havahartwireless.com/

http://spoiledpups.com/wireless-fenc...787002175.html

edit:

one of my friends has a wireless system for their doberman, and they love it.

one of my neighbors has a wired system, and there's been a number of breaks in the line over the years. one of their labs found a break last year and was killed by a car.

I guess it depends on your dog, too. The lab that was killed obviously had no fear of the fence if he was close enough to find a break.

the doberman won't even get into my friend's car if it's too far down in the driveway because his collar will beep slightly.
      Last edited by HelenKellener; 07-23-2012 at 06:36 PM.

Vehicles
      1995 Honda Passport
      09-07-2012 02:35 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by joeslob View Post
      anyone have any recommendations for in-ground fence kits.

We decided to get one for our new house, since it has a big back yard and no fence. We won't be able to afford a fence until next year. So I thought this would be a good way for him to enjoy the backyard without a leash and without running into the street.
      I would actually advise against it. I installed one about two years ago and the minute I let my dogs out after it was finished they ran right over the spot where I had buried the wire without even thinking about stopping. I ended up building an above ground fence in the end cause that seed to be the simplest solution at the time.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 CC Silverado (Truck Nuts Free)
      09-07-2012 06:50 PM #4
      I've known dogs to run through the electric fence to get something but won't come back through.

Vehicles
      1995 Honda Passport
      09-07-2012 08:24 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by CO Boy View Post
      I've known dogs to run through the electric fence to get something but won't come back through.
      Sometimes they would run back through it and sometimes they wouldn't.

6. 09-07-2012 08:30 PM #6
      Nothing more secure than a physical fence. But it really depends how the dog adapts to it. I've never really been a fan of them.

Vehicles
      1995 Honda Passport
      09-07-2012 08:59 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by STOICH View Post
      Nothing more secure than a physical fence. But it really depends how the dog adapts to it. I've never really been a fan of them.
      I don't like keeping my dogs fenced in either, but they kept goin over to the neighbors house and fighting with their dogs so we didn't have much of a choice.

Vehicles
      '75 Eldorado vert, '13 Sierra Denali CC D/A, '11 Outback 3.6R
      09-09-2012 01:08 PM #8
      I have a professionally installed Dogwatch system. Installed it 13 years ago. I've replaced the collar once (~$40) and repaired a cut wire once (my fault). I have about an acre and paid ~$1,000 back in 2000. Best money I've spent on my dogs. I've used it for two German Shepherds with zero problems.

Here's quick vid of my guy: http://youtu.be/5oE5WNaoe3U

A few things you need to know before getting one, though:

1. Installation should include a separate grounding rod which is not connected to the house. This is important to isolate the system from surges and lightning strikes. My neighbor has an Invisible Fence system which was installed without the ground rod. He replaces control boxes every couple of years.

2. The system is NOT a substitute for supervision.

3. The system will keep your dog IN, but it will not keep predators OUT.

4. Training your dog with the flags and proper technique is the single, most important aspect of the system. Don't install it, turn it on, and expect your dog to know what the hell is going on. It took me about a month to completely train my Shepherds, and they're pretty smart. Expect to spend several weeks before you can trust the system.

Forget about the wireless ones. They transmit a signal which the collar loses when out of range. The range varies with battery power and interference. That means one day your dog might be OK in a certain spot, but the next day he might get whacked. Unfair and confusing.
      Cary

'13 Sierra Denali 2500 CC D/A
      '11 Outback 3.6R
      '12 FLHTCUI
      '75 Eldorado ragtop

Forum Rules