Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Engine valve replaced under campaign... now it sounds very different on boost. -Anyone?

Vehicles
      '08 Audi A3 (8P), '99 Golf MkIV, '89 Porsche 951S
      07-13-2012 11:21 AM #1
      Had my 75k service done yesterday and while it was in they changed out either a PCV or diverter valve (I'm not sure which) at the same time.

When I drove it off, I thought that it sounded a little different under load/boost, but shrugged it off. -When I started this morning to drive to work, it sounds VERY different under boost... as if someone is blowing through a straw. -Hard to describe.

I'm still seeing normal boost on my boost gauge (peaking at about 15psi, typically holding in the 10-12psi range, but I've not tested that specifically) so I don't suspect a boost leak right at the moment.

I put a call in to my service writer, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar thing, or if I'm concerned for no reason.

This is not related to excess-pressure blow-off or anything like that (I'm all stock in that dept) because it happens under sustained engine load, not on lift-off particularly.
      Quote Originally Posted by MisterJJ View Post
      A "jump from a VW to an Audi"?!? I wouldn't call it a jump. It's more like shuffling along the sidewalk, tripping on a crack, bumping into a gorgeous blonde, walking away in a daze, and later finding out that she stole your wallet.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 eh3 2.0T
      07-13-2012 11:45 AM #2
      Sounds like the dv. I swapped mine out last month with the latest version, and I noticed right away that it didn't sound the same under boost.
      #KeepFightingMichael

3. 07-13-2012 12:02 PM #3
      r u chipped?

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3 2.0T
      07-13-2012 12:07 PM #4

5. Member
      Vehicles
      '06, A3 2.0t, Sport
      07-13-2012 12:52 PM #5
      Also check around for various parts not connected or loose fasteners.

http://forums.fourtitude.com/showthr...highlight=hose
      Quote Originally Posted by MachnickiA3 View Post
      stick that in your "fleshy patch"

6. Member
      Vehicles
      1989 Jetta GL(dead and Gone); 1990 VW Jetta GLi; 1998 VW Jetta GLX; 2007 Audi A3 S-Line
      07-13-2012 01:00 PM #6
      They changed the pcv and flap motor under campaign not the dv

Vehicles
      07-13-2012 02:57 PM #7
      In terms of 'sound', it's not a whistle. -It sounds more like someone blowing hard through a drinking straw.

I'm heading up to Tallahassee this weekend... will have to wait to start poking around until after I get back.
      A "jump from a VW to an Audi"?!? I wouldn't call it a jump. It's more like shuffling along the sidewalk, tripping on a crack, bumping into a gorgeous blonde, walking away in a daze, and later finding out that she stole your wallet.

Vehicles
      2006 A3 2.0T MT w/ Lots of Mods
      07-14-2012 11:13 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by VWAddict View Post
      In terms of 'sound', it's not a whistle. -It sounds more like someone blowing hard through a drinking straw.

I'm heading up to Tallahassee this weekend... will have to wait to start poking around until after I get back.
      I don't have a straw, so I can't help.
      But I am curious to see what you find out.
      Friends don't let friends drive stock.
      2006 A3 2.0T 6MT with LOTS of mods

9. 07-14-2012 01:49 PM #9
      I had the PCV recall done about a month and a half ago. The turbo spooling is MUCH more audible (haha) and the car is completely stock.

Vehicles
      07-15-2012 08:13 PM #10
      Also check around for various parts not connected or loose fasteners.

http://forums.fourtitude.com/showthr...highlight=hose
      So I had a hunt around, and there's NO HOSE where yours is in that photo... just an empty (venting to atmosphere) hose barb.

Also, the top of the new valve assembly seems to have a hole on it... not sure what that's all about...

But something is wrong. VERY wrong.

My gas mileage is down. SIGNIFICANTLY down. -Remember all those 400+ miles-per-tank runs that I've done? -Well this time I'm struggling to get anywhere near that. -Just did a long weekend's driving (about 6 hours each day) and had to fill up twice at about 250 miles.. I wasn't empty, but driving through wilderness, and my gas mileage AND motor torque is all messed up, and I didn't want to run out in the middle of nowhere.

Going to scan with VAG-COM for faults (no CEL showing, but I'll check anyway). -This car is definitely NOT at 100% top health.

I hope that the 600 miles I just put on it hasn't meant anything nasty in terms of intake or plug fouling, if the mixture is off or anything like that...

Hang on, I'll put a couple of snaps up.

Vehicles
      07-15-2012 08:18 PM #11
      Okay, so where you have an unattached hose like this:

...I have an unoccupied hose barb like this:

...you can *barely* see it just next to the injector harness loom.

...and here's the shot of the opening at the top of the valve... not sure if this is how it's supposed to be or what?
      Last edited by VWAddict; 07-15-2012 at 08:21 PM.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      '06, A3 2.0t, Sport
      07-15-2012 09:49 PM #12
      I bet if you reach down behind that heat shield on the back of the engine you will find a loose hose just like this. It goes to that hose barb.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2007 Audi A3 2.0T
      07-16-2012 12:47 AM #13

...I have an unoccupied hose barb like this:

...you can *barely* see it just next to the injector harness loom.

...and here's the shot of the opening at the top of the valve... not sure if this is how it's supposed to be or what?
      Not sure WTF that hole in your PCV is all about but I am pretty sure it is not supposed to be like that.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      '06, A3 2.0t, Sport
      07-16-2012 01:20 AM #14
      Are you sure that's a hole? I just had the cover off the wife's TFSI and that part looks exactly the same. But it appears to be a molded post inside the part, not an open hole. Maybe they put a TFSI part on an FSI.

Vehicles
      07-16-2012 08:20 AM #15
      I bet if you reach down behind that heat shield on the back of the engine you will find a loose hose just like this. It goes to that hose barb.
      Maybe so... but on this occasion I've elected not to try fixing it myself... if I did, there'd be no evidence of anything having ever been wrong... only my word against the dealership. -Bearing in mind that I've just driven over 600 miles with it this way, I've had plenty of 'seat time' with the car in this condition. I've noticed that the motor struggles noticeably -not *massively* but it's definitely observable- under load, the gas mileage is down by an amount in excess of 10% over a round-trip cruise-control drive... -Not laboratory standards I'll concede, but this stuff is demonstrable and repeatable.

In addition, since there's a chance that this line varies pressure, and is likely under vacuum at various times, there's a decent chance that dirt, grit and sand has had ample opportunity to get in. -Currently the engine also hesitates very slightly at times when it didn't before. -Something's off. Fuel mixture is possible, if not likely...

So I'm taking it in to the dealership tomorrow. (my assigned service writer has a day off today) so that THEY can see what the problem is. -Then we're going to sit down and have a bit of a talk.

But MisterJJ, thanks for the photo and for giving me a solid suspect. -While I've got nothing against my dealership, this is not the first time I've had an issue like this, so I'll initiate a discussion centering on how they can restore my faith in a couple of matters. I'll say no more publicly for now; they can definitely 'save' this, but it's up to them. -I need to feel reassured that silly little oversights don't become bigger problems.

Are you sure that's a hole? I just had the cover off the wife's TFSI and that part looks exactly the same. But it appears to be a molded post inside the part, not an open hole. Maybe they put a TFSI part on an FSI.
      I really can't tell if it's a hole or not. -It just looks like it's open into the inside, but it may be some sort of closed 'well' in the surface, though I'm not sure what purpose an indentation might serve. -It gives every *appearance* of being a hole, but I thought better of pouring water in there to see if it fills up (indicating a closed/sealed indentation) or just keeps taking it in. -Don't want to cause even MORE damage! -In the end, I decided to just photograph it to document how it was.

I wanted to listen around while 'blipping' the throttle, but damn these drive-by-wire cars, there's no throttle cable under the hood! -One day if I find myself faced with this often enough, I'm going to make a long extension cable and wire it on to my old throttle pedal (which I took out when I put the GLI pedals in) and maybe mount it to a non-slip rubber base, so that I can blip the throttle while I'm under the hood... yeah... -necessity being the mother of invention and all that.