Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: FS: 1990 Audi Coupe Quattro, 218,000 miles, Crystal Silver, Somerville, MA (Cambridge line)

1. 07-13-2012 05:53 PM #1
      Hello,

Up for sale is my 1990 Coupe Quattro. I purchased this car through this same forum in September of 2009. Since then, I have added 6,134 miles to the odometer and have maintained it well. However, it will need quite a bit of time and patience in the future. Because the car lived in the North Shore before I purchased it, many of the lines, bushings, and mountings will have to be replaced underneath. It also has other relatively minor (in comparison) issues which will need to be addressed in order to restore it properly. That said, it does run well, feels terrific to drive, and is currently registered (I just drove it to western Connecticut and back two weeks ago). I have just purchased a 2000 A4 2.8, and I don't have the space or funds to keep two cars only for myself.

The car has Bilstein shocks (an upgrade by the previous owner) and handles beautifully. A friend (with a 911) once remarked that he was barely able to keep up with me on a highway on-ramp. It was early spring, and I still had the snow tires on the car, at the time. I was never able to reach its limits.

By the way, it does come with an extra set of identical factory wheels, with mounted snow tires. The car is amazing in the snow. I once drove through a blizzard in this car. It was fun.

The interior could use a vacuum. Note that the red wire in the foot well is just leftover junk from my stereo installation (I should have removed it before taking the pictures). The object on top of the ashtray is the microphone for the bluetooth phone function.

I'm not certain if the new Blaupunkt stereo will come with the car. I still have the one was in the car before, but the CD player never worked, for me. I really like the fact that this stereo has a Bluetooth connection, which works perfectly. It also has USB and auxiliary connections. I can't put this in the new car, though - so I'm not certain what I would do with it if I didn't include it.

The climate control will require troubleshooting. The heat works (too well), but it does not regulate properly in order for the A/C to work. Otherwise, I have no reason to believe (based upon the previous owner's understanding) that the A/C will not work.

The car has a new timing belt and the associated belts, pulleys, and waterpump (I purchased the Blauparts kit and did this myself). I do have a valve cover gasket, intake gasket, and a brand new set of (hard to find) Bosch Silver plugs. I never got around to doing that project (and the valve cover gasket isn't leaking so badly that I was terribly worried about it), but the parts will come with the car.

Cleaning up the areas next to the wheel wells is my unfinished project, which I will likely pass on to the new owner. Rust in this particular spot had created a hole, and I lost the trim piece because of it. It became obvious to me that I needed (for the health of the body) to remove the rust and patch up the hole. I did not use any Bondo. Underneath the primer is an aluminum plate which I shaped to fit the contour. Before affixing this plate, I sprayed the entire area liberally with rust-inhibiting paint. It may need a bit more primer and sanding before it is ready to be painted. It looks rough now, but I believe that it will look great when complete. I just paid over $100 for the spray cans of paint (there is a base and a clear coat bottle) and a replacement trim piece. Both of these items will, of course, come with the car. Or the new owner may decide to go to a body shop, instead.

Maaco did a really beautiful job replacing the hood (which was rusted and missing the latch when I bought the car), and painted some or both of the fenders to match properly (I gave them the paint code). The new (used) hood was rust-free when it arrived (I inspected it before they started the work), and they stripped it completely and painted it.

I also should mention that the car just had a full brake job (pads and rotors), and that one front caliper was also replaced (it was sticking). This was done by Foreign Auto in Cambridge, who also did most of my oil changes. I had the speedometer sensor replaced (the mileage wasn't affected, since it actually cut out when I was 100 feet from the same shop). I replaced all three bulbs in the auxiliary gauges, myself. It has a current (August) inspection sticker, and I am not aware of anything on the car which would not pass Mass. inspection currently.

I purchased the e-Bahn Bentley manual (the printed version seems impossible to find). I assume that we would be able to transfer the registration without too much difficulty. Note that it is PC-only (I purchased Microsoft Virtual PC just to run it on my Mac). I also tediously exported PDF files of every page with the exception of wiring diagrams - just to be able to read and print it (but please do not ask me to give these to you unless you buy the car - Bentley may be a bit unfriendly, but I believe in respecting intellectual copyright laws).

I like my new (to me) A4. It's very quiet and pleasant, and the 2.8 has plenty of power; but I will really miss the cornering ability of the coupe. And even more-so I will miss the magical noise that the 20V five makes. I wish that I could keep the car, and possibly work on restoring the underbody components some day, myself. But I just don't have the space, and I can't really afford to insure two cars. It's kind of weird to think about how much time and money I have put into this car in the past few years. It makes me sad to have to let it go.

I hope to sell this to the right owner, who has the time and patience to restore the car. I would be hesitant to sell the car to a buyer if I suspect that he/she would be buying it for parts. It is simply too good for that (and too rare).

All pictures can be found at the following link:

http://johnzin.magix.net/album/my-albums/!/oa/6579557

I am asking $2500 or your best offer. Please let me know if you are interested. I am hoping that someone will be able to come look at the car this weekend. You can send me an e-mail at (with spaces removed) j o h n z i n @ g h o s t i m a g e . n e t (sorry for the spam paranoia). Please leave a phone number. Or you can call me at (standard Boston area code) 767-9217. Hopefully you are local, so it will be easy for you to come take a look at the car.

Thanks for looking.

-John
      Last edited by 78Scirocco; 07-13-2012 at 06:24 PM. Reason: decided to include phone number

Vehicles
      nothing running
      07-14-2012 12:34 PM #2
      hope this is for sale in about a month or so
      The Certain People

We Are All Whores Just Some Of Us Get Paid

3. 07-21-2012 08:31 PM #3
      Hello,

I have had a couple of people express interest, but nothing serious yet, as I understand it (my apologies if I misunderstand and you are reading this).

I did find out that the insurance is not as difficult a problem as I anticipated. It looks like only an additional $100 per year, presumably because the insurance company understands that a single driver cannot drive both cars simultaneously (although if someone were to try, that would be quite risky).

So I can be a bit more patient than I thought (although the A4 is not as trouble-free as I expected - so I could definitely use the funds to cover unanticipated repairs).

I should add that the car has been modifed with RS2 headlights, including all necessary relays. The headlights have always been quite nice, and I understand that the stock ones are dismal. Someone e-mailed me (perhaps innocently) asking if I wanted to swap the headlights for a stock pair which would "fit the car properly." I have no intention of doing so.

Anyway, thanks for looking. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Vehicles
      nothing running
      07-22-2012 11:34 AM #4
      you have a Pm
      The Certain People

We Are All Whores Just Some Of Us Get Paid

Vehicles
      '06 A3 3.2Q+'13 JSW Tdi
      07-27-2012 09:01 AM #5
      bump for a great car!

This was my old car, and it looks like John has taken excellent care of it! I wish had the room for it!

FYI the car has the 034 injector upgrade, 034 solid front subframe mounts, and all new (not 034) rear diff mounts (PITA!!) Also, the car got a new sachs clutch by Shine racing not that many miles ago, and lots of new parts as needed over its later life!

Good luck John!
      Audi is the girl who was really cute in high school, but now puts on way too much makeup in order to try and hang out with the hot girls.

6. 08-11-2012 01:45 PM #6
      Thank you, Silversquirrel, for your comments and information. If anyone is interested, please make me an offer. I may have to resort to E-Bay soon (which I would rather not do), because I can't keep this car forever.

Vehicles
      '06 A3 3.2Q+'13 JSW Tdi
      08-12-2012 10:24 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by 78Scirocco View Post
      Thank you, Silversquirrel, for your comments and information. If anyone is interested, please make me an offer. I may have to resort to E-Bay soon (which I would rather not do), because I can't keep this car forever.
      no problem! Hey, you should def. list this on motorgeek, they are BIG on CQ's over there!
      Audi is the girl who was really cute in high school, but now puts on way too much makeup in order to try and hang out with the hot girls.

8. 08-17-2012 03:05 PM #8
      Hello,

I have listed the car on E-bay, if anyone is still interested. Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=...#ht_646wt_1167

9. 08-29-2012 10:44 PM #9
      Hello,

I just wanted to let everyone know that I have relisted the car, this time with no reserve. I am hoping to sell the car soon. You can find it here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1990-...#ht_646wt_1167

Please let me know if you are still interested or have any questions.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Audi TT 225 / 1990 Audi Coupe Quattro x2
      09-19-2012 01:16 AM #10
      sold?
      2001 Audi TT 225 - DD mod list= http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3243695/2001-audi-tt
      1990 Audi Coupe Quattro - Project G6 classified