Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 81 Rocco not starting

1. Semi-n00b
      Vehicles
      03 Elantra GT ... clamoring for a Mk1 Rocco
      07-13-2012 08:05 PM #1
      Attempting to purchase a Scirocco, but want to make sure I know why it isn't starting before I commit to owning a project car needs gremlins hunted down.

Car is an '81 Scirocco.. all stock to my knowledge.

Current owner has been driving the car for a couple of years as a daily, and said it stopped running at a traffic light a couple of weeks ago.

I got there, tested the big fuel pump -- it ran, but the leads only showed 7 volts while cranking the engine. The fuel pump didn't sound like it was priming, but I did hear it running for a half a second every time I stopped cranking the engine.

Car has spark while cranking. Distributor and rotor are intact.

Fuel reaches cold start valve, as well as the four fuel lines at the fuel dizzy. I didn't take the injectors out, as the car isn't mine, and didn't want to crack the rubber fittings without replacements on hand.

Fuel pump relay? I pulled the fuse out of it, and it was good.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      1995 Jetta 2.0 Frankenstein :: 2001 Jetta VR6
      07-19-2012 01:04 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by toastworks View Post
      Attempting to purchase a Scirocco, but want to make sure I know why it isn't starting before I commit to owning a project car needs gremlins hunted down.

Car is an '81 Scirocco.. all stock to my knowledge.

Current owner has been driving the car for a couple of years as a daily, and said it stopped running at a traffic light a couple of weeks ago.

I got there, tested the big fuel pump -- it ran, but the leads only showed 7 volts while cranking the engine. The fuel pump didn't sound like it was priming, but I did hear it running for a half a second every time I stopped cranking the engine.

Car has spark while cranking. Distributor and rotor are intact.

Fuel reaches cold start valve, as well as the four fuel lines at the fuel dizzy. I didn't take the injectors out, as the car isn't mine, and didn't want to crack the rubber fittings without replacements on hand.

Fuel pump relay? I pulled the fuse out of it, and it was good.
      Dont mean to be useless here, but it sounds like you are in the right direction and know what to test next. Keep on following the chain.

Vehicles
      88 golf gt, 92 gti, 83 rocco
      08-05-2012 06:10 PM #3
      you wouldnt happen to be in austin would you? if so i think i bought that car.
      chevy runs derp.