Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: IronX

Vehicles
      MkIV R32
      07-13-2012 11:15 PM #1
      When using it on the paint do you use it before or after the clay bar? Is a simple spray, wait and rinse sufficient or do I need to use some sort of sponge/wash mit to agitate it?

Vehicles
      MkIV R32
      07-14-2012 12:27 PM #2
      Also, is it safe on chrome?

Vehicles
      01 Jetta VR6, 71 Type 1.
      07-14-2012 05:50 PM #3
      Can't put IronX on chrome. I don't see the point in claying and using it, personally I'd go with a clay bar over IronX but I've never actually used it so take that as you will... Seems like a clay bar does everything IronX does and more.

Edit: I guess my answer to your first question about when to use it, is to say that I wouldn't use both. Do one or the other, and personally I'd rather use a clay bar because it removes all the contaminants, instead of just "iron particles".

Edit 2: I've read that you can just spray, wait and rinse, but I doubt it will remove everything by doing that. Hence the reason I would rather use a clay bar. (Sorry for all the edits, I'm very tired and not thinking in straight lines.)
      Last edited by David802; 07-14-2012 at 05:54 PM.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 GTI, 2003 Jetta 1.8T
      07-15-2012 05:18 PM #4
      I agree with the previous statement for the most part. The only thing I LOVE about iron x is that it seems to remove industrial fall out (little orange spots on the paint) with no scrubbing at all. You can simply spray it on and rinse it off. I find sometimes using a claybar on these spots will not remove them (could be because I use a gentle clay?). Also, it can remove contaminents where a claybar can't get. Emblems are a perfect example. Most emblems are chrome and I have found iron x is perfectly safe on chrome. At the end of the day, most brands are ridiculously priced ($124 for the big bottle from carpro). Save your money and just clay.
      Gemstone Auto Detail
      Auto Detailing and Steam Cleaning Experts
      MY BUILD
      IG: MBS431

5. 07-16-2012 01:01 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by David802 View Post
      Seems like a clay bar does everything IronX does and more.
      A clay bar will not remove whole particles but rather abrade away the tops if the contaminants. Iron X attacks the whole ferrous particle in the "pores" of the paint.

That being said I would use both in a prep for polishing. Not everything stuck in paint is a ferrous metal so you would still need a clay bar.

Vehicles
      MkIV R32
      07-16-2012 02:08 PM #6
      Thanks for the replies.

Some searching elsewhere suggested using IronX first followed by the claybar, so that's what I did.

Some said clay first then IronX to release what the clay couldn't get. Others said use IronX first to get rid of the metal particles then clay to get the rest with the added benefits that the clay has less to do, lasts longer, and goes quicker. The latter argument won me over.

Anyway, the car came out great. I did a full detail and machine polish and wax on my father-in-law's E350 as a birthday gift.

Vehicles
      01 Jetta VR6, 71 Type 1.
      07-16-2012 09:23 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by MikeBlaze View Post
      A clay bar will not remove whole particles but rather abrade away the tops if the contaminants. Iron X attacks the whole ferrous particle in the "pores" of the paint.

That being said I would use both in a prep for polishing. Not everything stuck in paint is a ferrous metal so you would still need a clay bar.
      Good to know . Like I said, I've never actually used it, I just know what I've read about it. Now I'm curious to try it. Maybe I'll grab some with my next detail order and do a side by side on my hood or something.

Vehicles
      2003 Golf TDI
      07-17-2012 06:37 PM #8
      I just detailed my golf and I just IronX first and when I went to clay it had taken a lot off. It works pretty well and the paint came out pretty smooth.

Vehicles
      1988 Audi 90 Quattro (out to pasture), 1992 GTI 16V, 2010 Audi TT S-Line
      07-23-2012 07:31 AM #9
      I used it on my white TT before cleaner waxing it.

The whole car bled. It was interesting.

The IronX brand smells like cherry cover-up scent and horrid bong water...so do this process out in the street and not in a garage or somewhere you have to be all the time.

07-24-2012 10:55 PM #10

I'm still waiting for someone to wash a car then use clay on 1/2 the 1/4 panel behind a front wheel then use IronX etc on the same 1/4 panel including the clayed portion. Just to see if there is a noticable difference. Demos always show prior to washing and claying.

The ones that get me is the ones where they use that type of product on an unsashed wheel full of brake dust. Great dramatics ... everything purple ... hell most those wheels wash clean with soap & water.

11. 08-04-2012 07:46 PM #11
      Does this smell better than aquartz ironcut?? because I've literally had customers make me come back and clean their driveways since ironcut smells like i took a dump on their pavement!

12. 08-08-2012 09:31 AM #12
      Nope. Smells awful.

Vehicles
      1988 Audi 90 Quattro (out to pasture), 1992 GTI 16V, 2010 Audi TT S-Line
      08-09-2012 07:31 AM #13
      Nope. Smells awful.
      ...for days and days.