Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Some custom bits

Vehicles
      '07 335i Sedan, '04 R32, '82 300D, '95 Jetta
      07-14-2012 02:13 AM #1
      Custom A/C, power steering and coolant bits for the R.

Vehicles
      Mk2,s Mk3's
      07-15-2012 12:19 PM #2
      Hmm, never really thought about using AN fittings for the A/C. No orings, but would worry about leaks. Refrigerant is a gas alot of the time. So it can "seep" out of the smallest opening or void. Im interested in how it looks when done. Keep us up to date.

Vehicles
      07-15-2012 08:37 PM #3
      First time I have seen it as well haha. It has been a bit of a hassle as there is no out of the box way to attach barrier hose to SS 3/8 and 5/8 hardline. Which is the primary reason you don't see a ton of
      It. The aeroquip A/C stuff does not have a good rep and is heinously over priced.

All the threaded fitting are o-ring so that takes care of any leaks there. The SS with my nice flaring tool makes a solid flare. I am sure it will seep out some, the question will be how much.

I may even use some copper flare washers I have seen. The final step
      Is to have some steel barrier hose crimps welded on. I will bending the lines this week. I also had to have a trinary switch bung made in steel haha. I could probably use a more standard switch, just need to see if it is compatible with the VW signal.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrubbs View Post
      Hmm, never really thought about using AN fittings for the A/C. No orings, but would worry about leaks. Refrigerant is a gas alot of the time. So it can "seep" out of the smallest opening or void. Im interested in how it looks when done. Keep us up to date.

Vehicles
      86 Scirocco 16V, 04 Jetta 1.8BT, 89 944 S2
      07-16-2012 05:25 PM #4
      You might want to look into using swagelok fittings. We use them for high-pressure/high-temperature applications carrying all sorts of dangerous gasses (fuel cell R&D lab) and they have excellent sealing.

Vehicles
      07-16-2012 10:31 PM #5
      For the time being I am going to give the JIC fittings a go. With everything taped for o-ring adapters I have the tough part out of the way. I can try swagelock down the road if this fails.

Thinking positive though. It should work... I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by gbisus13 View Post
      You might want to look into using swagelok fittings. We use them for high-pressure/high-temperature applications carrying all sorts of dangerous gasses (fuel cell R&D lab) and they have excellent sealing.