Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Is my car tuned?

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      337 Edition GTI
      07-14-2012 12:45 PM #1
      Im the second owner of my 337 and i wonder if my car is already tuned. I talked to the first owner and he mentioned something about messing with boost and stuff. The car is completely stock except a BOV and a kn air filter.. Is there any way i can check to see if my car is tuned or not?? HELP

Vehicles
      82' VW Caddy, RIP-2003 20th Anniversary GTI #0024
      07-14-2012 04:12 PM #2
      The best way to tell would be to monitor the turbo PSI with a gauge. They are pretty cheap and easy to hook up. All you would be looking for is if you are making more than 11psi. If you're in the range of 15-25 psi then it is likely that it is chipped.
      “A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.”

Vehicles
      MKV R32; 337 RIP
      07-14-2012 07:26 PM #3
      Messing with the boost could mean he put a manual boost controller on.

As mentioned above. Get a boost gauge. They're useful for troubleshooting too.
      .:Roxanne

Vehicles
      2003 imola gti
      07-14-2012 09:06 PM #4
      he probably didnt know what he was doing because one he put a blow off valve on it our cars should be using a dv so most likely he put a manual boost controller on it

Vehicles
      MKV R32; 337 RIP
      07-15-2012 01:30 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by eeemolaaa3551 View Post
      he probably didnt know what he was doing because one he put a blow off valve on it our cars should be using a dv so most likely he put a manual boost controller on it
      FWIW, MBCs are an excellent alternative to a "race" n75 if you do know what you are doing.

6. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      337 Edition GTI
      07-15-2012 08:09 AM #6
      Thanks guys. I am dissappointed that he put a BOV on it instad of a dv but its no biggy. I currently have a small crack in my vaccumm hose so im gonna fix that in a couple of days. Can the crack in the vaccumm mean i have a boost leak!? The car spools up and tends to have a lot of boost so im hoping that fixing it will increase my boost even more (if thats even possible). Im ordering a boost gauge after i get a new vaccumm hose installed so i know my exact boost. Sorry if i sound stupid im a noob at this stuff. Just trying to get all my questions answered before I start messing with it some more.

Vehicles
      07-15-2012 01:17 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by hrghm View Post
      Thanks guys. I am dissappointed that he put a BOV on it instad of a dv but its no biggy. I currently have a small crack in my vaccumm hose so im gonna fix that in a couple of days. Can the crack in the vaccumm mean i have a boost leak!? The car spools up and tends to have a lot of boost so im hoping that fixing it will increase my boost even more (if thats even possible). Im ordering a boost gauge after i get a new vaccumm hose installed so i know my exact boost. Sorry if i sound stupid im a noob at this stuff. Just trying to get all my questions answered before I start messing with it some more.
      With turbo'd cars, when you're not in boost, or not building air pressure from the turbocharger, then you are in vacuum. On the boost gauge you'll be getting it *should* have the vacuum read in measurements of "HG", and the boost will just read in PSI. So anyways, once the turbocharger starters building pressure, the amount of vacuum, or negative pressure (HG), decreases while the amount of positive pressure (PSI) increases. So anytime, especially with turbocharged cars, you have a vacuum leak (or a boost leak, because they are one in the same) you are seeing a loss in power. Sometimes it can be a huge loss in power and the car won't run, and sometimes it could be a pinhole leak and the car will seem fine. In either case it is best to immediately fix it.

If you post a picture of exactly what hose it is we can tell you how serious or important it is.
      “A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster.”

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      337 Edition GTI
      07-15-2012 01:49 PM #8

the thing in the red circle. aha
      Last edited by hrghm; 07-15-2012 at 01:53 PM.

Vehicles
      2003 imola gti
      07-15-2012 04:16 PM #9
      thats your pcv ....mine was cracked when i bought my car from the dealer didnt notice it for a coupple days ( was unitronic stage 1+) when it was replaced it was a diffrent car

07-15-2012 04:48 PM #10
      You have a Forge DV and not a BOV. Also looks like you have a TIP and just by looking at what's been done and say it's a good chance it's got a software upgrade. Only way to really know is what was already mentioned, boost gauge. Clean motor
      Waffled

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      337 Edition GTI
      07-15-2012 05:00 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by 20thgti187 View Post
      You have a Forge DV and not a BOV. Also looks like you have a TIP and just by looking at what's been done and say it's a good chance it's got a software upgrade. Only way to really know is what was already mentioned, boost gauge. Clean motor
      Sorry to say but this isnt my motor. I wish this was my motor. Its just a google image i found that displayed the engine bay the best.

12. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      337 Edition GTI
      07-15-2012 05:01 PM #12
      thats your pcv ....mine was cracked when i bought my car from the dealer didnt notice it for a coupple days ( was unitronic stage 1+) when it was replaced it was a diffrent car
      did it run better performance wise ???

Vehicles
      07-15-2012 05:36 PM #13
      did it run better performance wise ???
      when it was replaced it was a diffrent car
      So yes, judging by what he said it was faster after the problem was fixed.

14. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      337 Edition GTI
      07-15-2012 05:42 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by Justin_Eshelman View Post
      So yes, judging by what he said it was faster after the problem was fixed.
      damn now im super eager to get this thing fixed...

Vehicles
      2003 imola gti
      07-15-2012 08:12 PM #15
      yes performance wise i was loosing about 4-5lbs of boost hope this solved your problem good luck

07-15-2012 09:17 PM #16
      Sorry to say but this isnt my motor. I wish this was my motor. Its just a google image i found that displayed the engine bay the best.
      Trickster
      Waffled

17. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2005 jetta gli, 2008 yamaha r6/s, 2012 jetta s
      07-15-2012 10:18 PM #17
      i had a crack off on one of my pcv valve hoses it was even causing a missfire so yes it can be serious. just get it replaced.
      i <3 haters

Vehicles
      2003 imola gti
      07-15-2012 11:10 PM #18
      or catch can depending on your money situation

Vehicles
      MKV R32; 337 RIP
      07-15-2012 11:39 PM #19
      I have that OEM PCV hose for sale if you're interested. (25 shipped)

Also, can you get us a non-insta-lamed picture of that engine bay (with more of what's to the right in the shot). We can probably tell you a lot more about it. It looks like something is deleted off the Turbo Inlet Pipe (TIP) with that silver plug clamped in. I don't have a 1.8T anymore so I can't go out to the garage to compare.

A catch can is a good idea but it will require some knowledge of the PCV system in general. Check out the FAQs in the MK4 forum and they have a PCV diagram somewhere.

20. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      337 Edition GTI
      07-16-2012 05:20 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by KurtCav View Post
      I have that OEM PCV hose for sale if you're interested. (25 shipped)

Also, can you get us a non-insta-lamed picture of that engine bay (with more of what's to the right in the shot). We can probably tell you a lot more about it. It looks like something is deleted off the Turbo Inlet Pipe (TIP) with that silver plug clamped in. I don't have a 1.8T anymore so I can't go out to the garage to compare.

A catch can is a good idea but it will require some knowledge of the PCV system in general. Check out the FAQs in the MK4 forum and they have a PCV diagram somewhere.

i would post another picture but i found this on google becuase im on vacation in europe and cant take pics of my car.. sorry but thanks i might consider when i get back and check my engine out

21. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      337 Edition GTI
      07-16-2012 05:20 AM #21
      its currently covered with electrical tape but will be fixed asap. thanks guys