Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Overpriced 2001 In NE Ohio

1. Member
      Vehicles
      '83 Cabby Wolfsburg "Nimbus"
      07-14-2012 06:38 PM #1
      So, I'm passing by one of the many secondary used-car lots around here (that is, not directly attached to any dealership), and I again spy a black Cabrio that I have noticed in various places in the lot for the past year and a half. My curiosity got the better of me this afternoon, and I stopped to take a look. She's a black 2001 automatic, last titled in Pennsylvania. No visible rust on the body, though the paint is a bit rough, there's a gig in the rear bumper, the antenna is loose and coming apart. The interior is only fair, largely because every seating surface inside has a crack or tear in it. Mileage in the low hundreds.

So, I walk in and ask the obviously-too-busy-doing-nothing salesman the price.

$7000 is the reply.

Am I the only one here who thinks that this knucklehead is full of crap, and it's no wonder that this car has been sitting on the lot for well over a year??

I was thinking a $2500 car....on its best day.

DW

2. Member
      Vehicles
      83 gti 81 cabby 91 cabby 99 passat 98 beetle
      07-14-2012 07:13 PM #2
      Since cash for clunkers used cars were running at premium prices. Since it was last titled in Pa. it wouldn't surprise me that this was a auction car out of Butler Pa. Most likely paid top dollar at the hite of used car prices and can't stand to take a loss. So keep it another 35 years and break even.

Vehicles
      Original Owner 2002 Cabrio GLX, 1969 Baja Bug
      07-14-2012 08:09 PM #3
      Is it by chance a Buy-Here Pay-Here lot or something along those lines. Where your pay stub and your downpayment equals financing.

The price at those places, at least back when my Father and Uncle held interest in one in Southern Ohio, was always double the regular market. The down payment was also equal to what they had in the car as well...

4. Member
      Vehicles
      07-14-2012 10:02 PM #4
      Naw. It's just your ordinary arm's-length car lot. Pay cash or find your own financing. Which is why I can't even fathom why the guy is so far off......

DW

5. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      1998 Cabrio GLS
      07-15-2012 02:26 AM #5
      I bought my 1998 Cabrio with 113k miles on it for 2500

6. 07-15-2012 03:27 AM #6
      Don't expect to find logic at a car lot. They are like 'women' of the sales industry.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 VW Tiguan
      07-16-2012 07:39 PM #7
      what model cabrio is it..

when i was shopping for my wifes i was finding GLX's with 125k on the clock with decent exteriors and interiors for about that price at the dealers..

seems to the norm for car dealers.. i ended up finding a slightly better condition 2 year old top, no accident, 2 year old tire, private part GLX for 6500$ with 80k miles on it.. with alot of records of new parts changed in the past 2 years..

depends on what you want for what price i didn't find any low price carbios that didn't need alot of work with low miles..

my wife wanted a GLX, blue exterior, blue interior, tan leather and manual. so my pickings was slim..
      2011 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab Long Horn Edition Stock for now.. just bought 4/23/12 new leftover 2011 Kawasaki ninja zx6r stock for now.. Just bought 5/19/12 Blue GLX cabrio for wifey.. Using torque software with andoid so far loving it..

8. Member
      Vehicles
      07-16-2012 09:40 PM #8
      On a 10 year old Cabrio, why should the model matter all that much, especially when the car I described was in worse shape than the one you bought, had higher mileage, and to quote myself:
      "The interior is only fair, largely because every seating surface inside has a crack or tear in it."

No, the simple truth is that the seller is an idiot.

DW