Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 1999 VW Beetle

1. 07-14-2012 07:12 PM #1
      I have a 1999 VW Beetle manual transmission. Less then 3 months ago had a new clutch put in and they said I also needed a new flywheel. So has both replaced and a new battery put in. I got it back and was running pretty good for a short time. Was having some trouble with it starting. Well within a few weeks it started what I call bogging down. Even with shifting it wouldn't really go. No get up and go! Before I knew it I was lucky to get to 5mph with the gas petal all the way down! So back to the same shop who did the clutch,flywheel, and battery. He said he replaced a sensor but still didnt change anything. it's been in the shop for a month and he says he has no clue. He did say maybe the timing and was going to check that. But it's still sitting there! Anyone have any idea what what it could be? Any idea's would be a start! Thanks!!

2. Member
      Vehicles
      02' New Beetle Turbo S
      07-14-2012 09:01 PM #2
      When it had a hard time starting; did it start for second and then die? What sensor did he replace? Did he scan the car for trouble codes; what, if any codes, are coming up? Could be so many different things; it's hard to know... trouble codes are a great way, to get some clues... as to what is going on! If he has had the car for a month; it maybe time to take it to someone who specializes in VW's and is more motivated, skilled in getting the car fixed! Let us know; how things progress...
      Last edited by billymade; 07-14-2012 at 09:03 PM.

3. 07-14-2012 10:04 PM #3
      My husband said it was the pressure sensor and he asked if he hooked it up to see if there were any codes and the guy said not yet! I would have thought that would have been the first thing they would have done...but guess not. Also sometimes it would die right away other times it wouldn't! Hopefully on Monday he will have some codes or not. Believe me I think it's time to see about another mechanic....I do understand this guy is very busy but school starts soon and this is my 17 yr old daughters car. Was just hoping maybe I could give my husbands some idea's. He said it seems chocked down or even close to flooded. If that makes sense to you. Thanks for trying to help. VW are different. Thanks again!

Vehicles
      '03 BMP 20th GTI, '84 TD Jetta
      07-15-2012 12:40 AM #4
      The car needs to be scanned for codes. And taken to someone else that knows these cars. Where are you located?
      Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      VW-making mechanics out of owners since 1957.
      The project - '84 Jetta 1.6TD, 186k+, fully rebuilt, Giles IP and injectors, 2.5" custom exhaust, 51mpg
      Hers - '03 BMP 20thAE GTI, 130k, 3" 42DD turbo back, Unitronic Stage 2
      His - '01 Jetta TDI, 135k. Now has 3 pedals, as it should!

5. 08-01-2012 05:21 PM #5
      sounds like a clogged catalytic converter.