Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: ultra-clean, 3-owner, 2-liter '86.5 16v - Arizona

Vehicles
      86 Scirocco, 92 GTI, 10 F250 Diesel, 13 Q7 TDI, 97 993TT
      07-14-2012 07:37 PM #1

http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/j...view=slideshow

Well it saddens me to let this car move but it's time to let someone else enjoy this car. I've had it for 4 years and throughly enjoyed the experience. I purchased it from another enthusiast that owned it 10 years and did most of the work to the car. I've listed his add below in quotes to tell all the work that he did to the car. I focused more on the engine compartent and attempted to make the car super reliable and trouble free. Also when I popped the hood I wanted the car to show as well as the outside. FYI - pics are a little old but there has not been hardly any miles put on the car. Depending on feedback I'll get new pics up soon. I just wanted to get the car online while I had myself talked into selling it.

Off the top of my head the following work was competed...

Full sandblast and repray under the hood and in the wheel wells.

Full engine rebuild with new bearings, rings, and seals.

Full transmission rebuild will all new seals and sync rings.

New radiator,
      New condensor,
      New dryer,
      New washer fluid tank and pump,
      New coolant reservoir,
      New hoses,
      New timing belt and tensioner,
      New coil,
      New spark plug wires, cap, and rebuilt distributor,
      New fuel pumps,
      New fuel injectors,
      New sensors,
      Rebuilt fuel distributor,
      New motor mounts,
      And more and more new things that I can't even remember

Cons - I have a small tranny leak at the speedometer cable that should be an easy fix but I really don't have the enthusiasm or time to fool with it. I'm sure a couple of hours troubleshooting and fixing is all that's needed. Over the winter the ac quit blowing cold. Not sure why but I guess worst case it's the compressor so in about $500 you are back freezing cold again. And last but not least two very small hairline cracks started at the dash defroster vents. The are super small (like 1/8") but I like to tell all.

Yes I threw money at this car and had fun doing it. Was it worth it? In a monetary sense probably not but I had a great time and learned a lot and it was definitely cheaper than hookers and a divorce? LOL

Money - the car is paid for with title in hand and I don't have to sell so be fair with your offers. Asking price is $12k.

Quote from previous owner below...
      "After 9 years of ownership, my ’86.5 Scirocco 16v is for sale. My daily driver is now a 2-seater, which necessitates a more practical #2. I’m the second owner – originally a SoCal car (which is where I was until 3 years ago). Garage-kept its entire life. Semi-rare non-sunroof car (lots more headroom than sunroof cars, and none of the sunroof mechanical headaches or added weight). High-quality PPG respray in 2000 in PPG formulation of original Tornado Red color. Now has approx 180k on chassis, 100k on motor bottom end, 30k on head & cams. Features:

2.0L bottom end from ’90 Passat
      ported/polished Streetport II head by Collin Gyenes @ Techtonics
      Schrick 260/276 cams, Schrick valve springs
      Techtonics fuel enrichment module
      Techtonics adjustable cam sprocket
      Techtonics downpipe & cat-back exhaust, Borla muffler, vintage Autotech flat-black tip
      Bilstein Sport shocks, H&R Sport springs, Neuspeed swabars f&r, Neuspeed upper strut bar, Neuspeed rear triangulated bar, poly bushings all around
      TSR stainless shift linkage
      K&N drop-in filter in stock airbox
      Ate PowerDisc slotted rotors, RedBox pads
      BBS RG-F forged wheels, 15x7”, 10.8 lbs each (!), Dunlop SP9000 tires
      Euro headlights, bumpers, front corner lights, badging,Kamei grille
      160 mph MotoMeter speedo (rare and far more reliable than VDO units)
      Momo “Competition” steering wheel , Kamei golf ball shift knob, 3-gauge panel, Cocomats, crack-free dash, Kenwood CD receiver, Boston component speakers, Alpine amp, MTX 10” sub

The clutch, radiator, all drive belts (except timing belt, which is young) and suspension bushings are all new within the last 2k miles. Brakes are near-new. AC still R12-based and blows ice cold. When the car was resprayed in 2000, the euro bumpers, euro headlights, taillights, side mouldings, roof channel mouldings, hood insulation, glass mouldings (except for rear hatch), windshield wiper arms, spray nozzles, and door handles.. were all replaced with brand new OEM parts at a hefty cost. Windshield also replaced around the same time and is in near-pit-free excellent condition. The seats are original and rip-free. Headliner in good-to-very good condition.

Caveats: front crossmember was cracked but professionally repaired in 2001 by Ron Wood & Dave’s Frame & Alignment, including a custom-fabricated reinforcement bar welded in by Ron.. it’s now stronger than new and should never cause any trouble again. There is a rattling noise under the car that is likely coming from some loose heat shielding and should be an easy fix. Transaxle has never been apart but despite mileage, synchros are flawless.. Redline MTL has been the lifeblood of choice since I’ve owned it. Mobil 1 15W-50 motor oil w/Mahle filters changed at proper intervals have been the motor’s lubrication of choice.

The car is super-clean and has won many car show awards dating back to the original owner. It appeared in a feature article in european car in July ’05. It’s quick, handles extremely well, and turns heads everywhere. Paul Grimes can vouch for its appearance and history, and Ron Wood @ VW Specialties can vouch for its mechanical history. Editor Les Bidrawn of ec stumbled onto the car at Ron’s shop in 2002 and fell in love with it, leading to the feature article."
      Last edited by ShawnO; 09-06-2012 at 08:48 AM.

Vehicles
      16v Scirocco x 5 MKI GTI, MKII GTI 55 CHEVY
      07-21-2012 08:25 AM #2
      GLWS

Post up current pictures as well.

Vehicles
      98 Passat V6, 90 Corrado TDI, 84 Scirocco GTI, 75 Scirocco 1.8T, 09 Triumph Bonneville
      07-24-2012 01:38 AM #3
      Kevin's old car. Should see if he wants it back .. he's still in Arizona last anyone's heard right
      Tobias

98 Passat V6, 90 Corrado TDI, 84 Scirocco GTi, 75 Scirocco 1.8T, 09 Triumph Bonneville

Vehicles
      92 GTI 16V, 88 Scirocco 16V (sold), 20th AE GTI #2269
      08-09-2012 06:34 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by 16V_Scirocco_GTX View Post
      Kevin's old car. Should see if he wants it back .. he's still in Arizona last anyone's heard right
      Last I heard he's still here...

5. 08-11-2012 08:49 PM #5
      how much?
      great car
      Quote Originally Posted by BlueVR View Post

yes i am still into Vag...

Vehicles
      92 GTI 16V, 88 Scirocco 16V (sold), 20th AE GTI #2269
      08-13-2012 04:30 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by ShawnO View Post
      New radiator
      Was this while you owned it? Just have to ask, 'cause I replaced it for Kevin while he owned it...

Vehicles
      '07 Z4 M Coupe, '05 330Ci ZHP
      08-13-2012 09:18 PM #7
      Wow, deja vu! Shawn, are you in Arizona now?

Old shot...

If somebody in Arizona buys it, I'll toss him or her the last plate that was on it when I sold it...

8. 08-20-2012 05:46 PM #8
      bump for a sweet looking car. I had one of those newer bodied sciroccos once, got sick of hitting my head, sold it and never looked back, but yours really makes me look at them in a whole new light. nice car.
      K

Vehicles
      Germany, 1986
      08-20-2012 07:12 PM #9
      Per forum rules you need to list a price.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      1987 16V Scirocco
      09-06-2012 07:49 AM #10
      He has it listed for $12,000.

Vehicles
      09-06-2012 08:42 AM #11
      Nope. Not in Arizona. Haha. Shipping is cheap though. ;4).

Car is still super clean and there is some room to move on the price. All pics are less than month old.

Vehicles
      09-06-2012 08:44 AM #12
      -Black92

I replaced the radiator but only cause the alternator and some other items had beat the fins up pretty bad. They are straight as an arrow and brand new now.