Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Do I have a highline CECM?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      8V, 16V, 20V, 30V
      07-15-2012 12:39 PM #1
      Sorry for the stupid question but my car is currently at the body shop. I've been shopping for foglights and am going to order OEM parts from Keffer. Just not sure if I should order a harness from VW, ECS, or Kufatec.

Is it possible my car has a midline or highline CECM? Its a 2011 Sportwagen 2.5 SE with Pano, NAV, etc...

I'd prefer to do it with the Kufatec harness but only if I don't have to purchase a different CECM.

Thanks, Shawn

2. Member
      Vehicles
      '10 JSW-S
      07-15-2012 01:07 PM #2
      Sorry, but you have a lowline CECM.
      '10 JSW-S-2.5

Vehicles
      2013 GSW TDI
      07-15-2012 03:38 PM #3
      is there a way to tell if you do or not, or do you just know?

reason why i ask is i would also like to know. mine is a canadian comfortline TDI with fogs pano, but no nav just would like to know for putting in the bi-xenon LED lights

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf Wagon TDI
      07-15-2012 06:06 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by thebarker View Post

reason why i ask is i would also like to know. mine is a canadian comfortline TDI with fogs pano, but no nav just would like to know for putting in the bi-xenon LED lights
      Most likely a midline. Get someone to scan with VCDS to check.
      dublove.ca | Unitronicchipped

5. Member
      Vehicles
      '10 JSW-S
      07-15-2012 07:43 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by thebarker View Post

VCDS could tell you for sure, but from all I read, US wagons are only equiped with lowlines and Canadian wagons are typically equipped with midlines. Also pretty sure that you'll need the hhighline to run OEM bixenons.

From other threads I've seen...
      Lowline CECM = no fogs and halogen headlights
      Midline CECM = fogs and halogen headlights
      Highline CECM = fogs and bixenon headlights
      '10 JSW-S-2.5

Vehicles
      '95 e36 m3, '04 e60 530i sport
      07-15-2012 10:02 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by DoDoubleGeo View Post
      From other threads I've seen...
      Lowline CECM = no fogs and halogen headlights
      Midline CECM = fogs and halogen headlights
      Highline CECM = fogs and bixenon headlights
      that's basically it.. yup.

The canadian cars usually have midline or highline.. depending on the trim level.

The 2009 US cars were all midline (except the SEL, which had a highline controller). Apparently the >2010 US cars were lowline (?)
      PNWfahren - Pacific Northwest Regional Car Enthusiast Forum Community
      2009 VW SportWagen TDI sold =-=-= 1995 M3 -=- 2004 530i

Vehicles
      2009 JSW 2.0t, SEL
      07-16-2012 10:41 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by rootrider View Post
      The 2009 US cars were all midline (except the SEL, which had a highline controller).
      Actually, even the SELs in 2009 had the midline CECM (as I found out when trying to install OEM fogs), even though SELs had the highline MFD cluster, memory seats/mirrors and other goodies.

Vehicles
      '95 e36 m3, '04 e60 530i sport
      07-16-2012 05:52 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by NoVaSpeed View Post
      Actually, even the SELs in 2009 had the midline CECM (as I found out when trying to install OEM fogs), even though SELs had the highline MFD cluster, memory seats/mirrors and other goodies.
      hmm.. I thought the memory seats/mirrors required a highline cecm
      PNWfahren - Pacific Northwest Regional Car Enthusiast Forum Community
      2009 VW SportWagen TDI sold =-=-= 1995 M3 -=- 2004 530i

9. 03-21-2013 10:06 AM #9
      If I had halogens with fog lights, in theory I have a midline CECM.

If installing Ed's replica headlights, which are meant to be a plug and play replacement for the halogens, am I required to upgrade my CECM to the highline? I haven't seen anyone say you need to but it is possible mine burned out after putting in the replica lights.

Thanks.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      Various Variants
      03-21-2013 10:40 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by MerkXR4 View Post
      If I had halogens with fog lights, in theory I have a midline CECM.

If installing Ed's replica headlights, which are meant to be a plug and play replacement for the halogens, am I required to upgrade my CECM to the highline? I haven't seen anyone say you need to but it is possible mine burned out after putting in the replica lights.

Thanks.
      I put Ed's lights into my '11 JSW before upgrading the CECM for factory foglight functionality. Ed's lights worked fine with both CECMs, but bulb out warnings with both CECMs, too.

NoVAspeed is right on the SEL CECMs (by my experience with a similar 2.0t SEL). I think BCM is the right term for the control box on the '09s where the fogs connect to, but I'm not sure. I've seen a few references to a box that was called a CECM but didn't look like what I replaced. IIRC this was for an early MK V, something we never got from VWoA in wagon form.
      Last edited by Outrider6; 03-21-2013 at 10:42 AM.

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 JSW TDI Manual
      03-21-2013 12:44 PM #11
      So what's the advantage to VW of using different CECMs? It doesn't seem logical that the costs of a lowline would be much different than a highline. (I'm pretty much thinking a circuit board is a circuit board, plus or minus a couple of dollars). Standardization of all units to the highline might even save VW some money.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      10' JSW TDI
      03-21-2013 12:58 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Kenn JSW View Post
      So what's the advantage to VW of using different CECMs? It doesn't seem logical that the costs of a lowline would be much different than a highline. (I'm pretty much thinking a circuit board is a circuit board, plus or minus a couple of dollars). Standardization of all units to the highline might even save VW some money.
      Pennies are pennies to accountants. When you ship thousands upon thousands of something if there is a small amount that can be saved it has a huge reflection on your bottom line.
      Malone Stage 2/Rawtek Downpipe&Midpipe/Banks 3" exhaust/S3 Intercooler/H&R Rear Swaybar/Neuspeed endlinks/Golf R steering wheel/GTD shifter/GTD E-Brake/GTD grille/Smoked Side markers/Stainless steel ECS brake lines/Tyrolsport Caliper stiffening kit/Highline CECM/OEM Xenon Lights/OEM Fog Lights/VMR708 wheels/KW V3 Coilovers

13. 04-04-2013 10:37 AM #13
      So I have part # 1K0 937 087 G
      Dealer already diagnosed this module as bad but won't replace it - well, they will but for $400-something.

In looking for a replacement, can I look for this same part number but with any revision newer than G? For example, I found this: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...512357163.html
      Rev. Q? That's newer than what was in my car so should be compatible, no?

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta sportwagon TDi/ 1992 lexus SC300
      04-04-2013 03:34 PM #14
      So I have part # 1K0 937 087 G
      Dealer already diagnosed this module as bad but won't replace it - well, they will but for $400-something.

In looking for a replacement, can I look for this same part number but with any revision newer than G? For example, I found this: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...512357163.html
      Rev. Q? That's newer than what was in my car so should be compatible, no?
      1k0 module means that that is for a golf. You need a 5k0

15. Member
      Vehicles
      10' JSW TDI
      04-04-2013 04:01 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Biggu View Post
      This, sadly it just won't code correctly.
      Malone Stage 2/Rawtek Downpipe&Midpipe/Banks 3" exhaust/S3 Intercooler/H&R Rear Swaybar/Neuspeed endlinks/Golf R steering wheel/GTD shifter/GTD E-Brake/GTD grille/Smoked Side markers/Stainless steel ECS brake lines/Tyrolsport Caliper stiffening kit/Highline CECM/OEM Xenon Lights/OEM Fog Lights/VMR708 wheels/KW V3 Coilovers

16. 04-22-2013 01:56 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Biggu View Post
      I'm not sure you're right on that one. I have a 2010 GTI and it came with module 1K0 937 087 G.

I need to replace this SOON and am looking at all my options. Seems like a bunch ship from overseas. How can I double check that they are US spec 315 MHz for the remote rather than the Euro spec 433 MHz? Is it on the label in some kind of code?

17. Member
      Vehicles
      10' JSW TDI
      04-22-2013 02:50 PM #17
      Most stuff overseas is a gamble, I ordered one that was 99$ and it was the wrong frequency. Better to check with a dealer ship and find what tour replacement part # is. They only replace them with high line check so they with give you the correct part number that you need.
      1stvwparts has the cheapest price they I found after literally scouring the internet.

18. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 Golf Wagon TDI
      04-22-2013 02:56 PM #18
      This is my part no. 5K0 937 086 E

This is midline, right?
      dublove.ca | Unitronicchipped

19. Member
      Vehicles
      10' JSW TDI
      04-22-2013 03:19 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by ArtieMacKinlay View Post
      This is my part no. 5K0 937 086 E

This is midline, right?
      Correct.

20. 05-14-2013 11:34 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Jeffbucc View Post
      Most stuff overseas is a gamble, I ordered one that was 99$ and it was the wrong frequency. Better to check with a dealer ship and find what tour replacement part # is. They only replace them with high line check so they with give you the correct part number that you need.
      1stvwparts has the cheapest price they I found after literally scouring the internet.
      Jeff - where did you find the BCM listed? I feel like the closest thing I've found so far is the 'Control Module' under Body Electrical -> Keyless entry components for $223. It doesn't seem like 1stvwparts lists the part number along with it so I can't confirm!

21. Member
      Vehicles
      10' JSW TDI
      05-14-2013 02:48 PM #21
      Jeff - where did you find the BCM listed? I feel like the closest thing I've found so far is the 'Control Module' under Body Electrical -> Keyless entry components for $223. It doesn't seem like 1stvwparts lists the part number along with it so I can't confirm!
      Again, you have to call your dealership to find what the correct BCM is for your car, there isn't enough concrete data and VW changed what is compatible for build dates through out the year. If my car would have been built one month later I would have had to order a different BCM.

After you find your part number, then you add that to the notes for the 1stvwparts order, and they will ship you the correct BCM.

Very easy, just takes a couple calls. 1stVW will verify they are sending you the correct BCM before they ship it to insure the part # they ordered is correct.

Good luck, it is a long journey to do OEM electrics right, but IMHO it is worth it.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      Various Variants
      05-14-2013 03:39 PM #22
      Check with Paul at Deutscheauto parts. Looks like he has a JSW high line BCM listed for about $350 new.

23. Member
      Vehicles
      10' JSW TDI
      05-14-2013 04:34 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Outrider6 View Post
      Check with Paul at Deutscheauto parts. Looks like he has a JSW high line BCM listed for about $350 new.
      I paid under 280 shipped.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      Various Variants
      05-16-2013 10:09 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Jeffbucc View Post
      I paid under 280 shipped.
      Where?

25. Member
      Vehicles
      10' JSW TDI
      05-16-2013 10:21 AM #25
      1stvw

26. Member
      Vehicles
      10' JSW TDI
      05-16-2013 10:22 AM #26
      I was wrong. 340 shipped.