Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to control bag settings..

1. 07-15-2012 06:15 PM #1
      Ok so im new to this and have not bought anything but im trying to figure out what set up to get and how to set things up..

Question 1. If you want the fenders to sit right where the rim and tire come together or on the lip of the rim. how to you make sure that when the car is all the way down or off it doesnt push the rims into the fenders.

Question 2. Is this a good set up http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-...ide/ES2187576/

I over all want the car to sit like this when it is all the way down. Maybe like a quarter or half inch lower..

Vehicles
      '08 GTI, '12 Beetle, '91 Passat
      07-15-2012 07:54 PM #2
      1. Offset is everything. Takes a lot of measuring, guessing and fine tuning

2. No. Airlift rear bags suck dick in my opinion. Rub if you ride low and the bracket design is retarded. Go with SS5 or AH2 rear bags. You'll hear nothing but good things about the two

Check out openroadtuning.com
      // Open Road Tuning
      Instagram: @bryangb
      bags and wheels = build thread

3. 07-16-2012 12:16 AM #3
      Yeah I know all about offset but im actually talking about the bag set up. like how some cars are set up to tuck the rim into the fender and frame out.. so there rim has no chance of hitting the fender. but if i want it to sit like that picture. how do i make sure that the set up never lets the car go lower then that. aka. if the car goes lower then the the fender will catch and mess up the fender the first time i turn the car off or lower the car.

Vehicles
      '06 GTI, '77 Corvette, '00 S10
      07-16-2012 01:18 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by bryangb View Post
      1. Offset is everything. Takes a lot of measuring, guessing and fine tuning

2. No. Airlift rear bags suck dick in my opinion. Rub if you ride low and the bracket design is retarded. Go with SS5 or AH2 rear bags. You'll hear nothing but good things about the two

Check out openroadtuning.com
      Couldn't of said it any better.

Be careful when testing the offsets, do the math. Then slowly test it so you dont bend or **** up your fenders.
      Also, remove the one screw from the front fenders so it doesn't poke into your fenders.
      Instagram: @MattMkv

Vehicles
      07-16-2012 06:41 AM #5
      With a management like v2 where you have presets you can set your aired out preset with (example) 15psi left in the rear so all the weight doesn't damage your fender.

Most guys probably air it out manually until they feel it touch. Uneven ground could play tricks on your presets

I'm all about that tuck
      // Open Road Tuning

Vehicles
      MKV Rabbit
      07-16-2012 08:17 AM #6
      OP if I'm reading this correctly you don't need bags at all. The pic you posted is of a static setup. If that's the "lowest" you want to go aired out then you just need coils - FKs, H&Rs, Ksports, etc.

7. 07-16-2012 10:18 AM #7
      No I want to go about a inch or so lower and have no gap at all. I want fender sitting on the tire and rim.. I have coils on a different car now and I have a lot of experience with them. I daily my cars and I dont want to have to worry about not being able to go to a gas station cause i cant get in. im done with that lol

Vehicles
      MKV Rabbit
      07-16-2012 10:36 AM #8
      Ah I see.

If you want fender to rest on wheel/lip/tire there is no need to prevent anything from going lower. By definition the wheel/lip/tire will hold you up lol. Now if you're concerned about messing up your fenders take bryangb and Matt_Mkv's advice - offset is key and take it slow on first air down.

9. 07-16-2012 10:43 AM #9
      So your saying the fenders would support the weight of the car. Idk about that lol. You really think so?

Vehicles
      01001011010011110 1010010
      07-16-2012 10:50 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by ZackGTI View Post
      So your saying the fenders would support the weight of the car. Idk about that lol. You really think so?
      Depending on the shape of your sidewall- ya it could have even pressure on both sides of the fender and be fine.
      "The Vile Bunch" ll v2lab ll eemilitiatv ll Stay Orange.
      2008 Mkv sold; 2003 yellow Skittle-sold; 2009 G8 GT-sold; 1991 Talon TSI- fully built, HTA3582@30psi 600+awhp

Vehicles
      Bagged 2006 VW Jetta GLI, 2000 VW Golf (Stage 3, K04)
      07-16-2012 10:52 AM #11
      It seems like what you're asking if for a setup that will stop once the fenders are touching the wheel. I would be more worried about resting my fender on everything, forgetting to air back up, etc... you say that you won't forget, I've said it too, but I'll often hop in my car and throw it in reverse. At least I tuck, so I won't worry about messing up my fenders.

When you're aired out, you're resting on either frame, wheels, axle, or bottomed out strut. So, either spend your time carefully measuring and calculating (and get 1/4" lines to go down slowly), or risk fudging your arches.

Vehicles
      MKV Rabbit
      07-16-2012 10:57 AM #12
      No, wheels and tires support the weight of your vehicle. If you're asking if fender can rest on tire and not be damaged then the answer is yes...given cautious air downs and correct fitment.

13. 07-16-2012 10:58 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by cflrabbit View Post
      No, wheels and tires support the weight of your vehicle. If you're asking if fender can rest on tire and not be damaged then the answer is yes...given cautious air downs and correct fitment.

Oh ok.. I thought you ment just air out and set all the weight of the car on the fenders. lol Sorry I miss understood

Vehicles
      MKV Rabbit
      07-16-2012 11:21 AM #14
      Oh ok.. I thought you ment just air out and set all the weight of the car on the fenders. lol Sorry I miss understood
      That is not possible to do. Let's say, for example, you air out the rear and rest fender on tire. The rear of your vehicle is supported by your rear tires, specifically where they are in contact with the ground. Some load is distributed to where your fenders are touching the tires, but again, given cautiousness and correct fitment you can avoid damage.

Vehicles
      01001011010011110 1010010
      07-16-2012 11:39 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by cflrabbit View Post
      That is not possible to do. Let's say, for example, you air out the rear and rest fender on tire. The rear of your vehicle is supported by your rear tires, specifically where they are in contact with the ground. Some load is distributed to where your fenders are touching the tires, but again, given cautiousness and correct fitment you can avoid damage.
      "The Vile Bunch" ll v2lab ll eemilitiatv ll Stay Orange.
      2008 Mkv sold; 2003 yellow Skittle-sold; 2009 G8 GT-sold; 1991 Talon TSI- fully built, HTA3582@30psi 600+awhp

16. 07-16-2012 11:55 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by RobbS View Post
      It seems like what you're asking if for a setup that will stop once the fenders are touching the wheel. I would be more worried about resting my fender on everything, forgetting to air back up, etc... you say that you won't forget, I've said it too, but I'll often hop in my car and throw it in reverse. At least I tuck, so I won't worry about messing up my fenders.

When you're aired out, you're resting on either frame, wheels, axle, or bottomed out strut. So, either spend your time carefully measuring and calculating (and get 1/4" lines to go down slowly), or risk fudging your arches.
      The car will automatically go to preset #1 when you start the car.

Vehicles
      07-16-2012 12:27 PM #17
      The car will automatically go to preset #1 when you start the car.
      If you're in preset mode and have it enabled. I have airlift v2 and often air up to preset, stop it when it gets close, and then fine tune it with manual mode. Preset mode rarely works for me without airing up and down a few times, which I am not to keen about.

18. 07-16-2012 01:00 PM #18
      Hmm. So help me out guys. I want the V2 control and I saw the airlift kit as i posted in the top but some people said but other bags and kinda piece stuff together. can you guys send me some links.. if i can save money that would be cool. but i dont wanna cheap out.

Vehicles
      07-16-2012 02:09 PM #19
      Hmm. So help me out guys. I want the V2 control and I saw the airlift kit as i posted in the top but some people said but other bags and kinda piece stuff together. can you guys send me some links.. if i can save money that would be cool. but i dont wanna cheap out.
      You want to end up with D-Cups and SS-5 bags in the rear. Go vendor to vendor and ask about price matching. I ended up paying a tad under $1700 for my setup.

20. 07-16-2012 02:20 PM #20
      You want to end up with D-Cups and SS-5 bags in the rear. Go vendor to vendor and ask about price matching. I ended up paying a tad under $1700 for my setup.
      Might be a lot to ask but can you send me some links to where to find this stuff. and What does your system consist of?

Vehicles
      07-16-2012 03:20 PM #21
      Airlift rear bags are the devil
      // Open Road Tuning

Vehicles
      07-16-2012 03:27 PM #22
      You need to calibrate it or adjust the settings. V2 is pointless if not for the presets. Mine hits the preset everytime
      // Open Road Tuning

23. 07-16-2012 03:47 PM #23
      Is anyone happy with the rear bags from the Airlift full kit with the digital V2. I cant figure out how to buy just the V2 Management and then just put different bags together .. like i cant figure out where to find it

Vehicles
      07-16-2012 04:02 PM #24
      Is anyone happy with the rear bags from the Airlift full kit with the digital V2. I cant figure out how to buy just the V2 Management and then just put different bags together .. like i cant figure out where to find it
      Email open road tuning. Tell them what you need and they'll hook you up with everything you will need
      // Open Road Tuning

25. 07-16-2012 04:39 PM #25
      Ok so to get this right everyone agrees that Air Lift makes ****ty rear bags but fine front. So get the V2 Management, what ever tank and comp. then for the rear get the Bagyard classic. ??

Vehicles
      07-16-2012 05:12 PM #26
      Ok so to get this right everyone agrees that Air Lift makes ****ty rear bags but fine front. So get the V2 Management, what ever tank and comp. then for the rear get the Bagyard classic. ??
      The rear airlift bags rub. I run Dorbritz D-Cup rear brackets and Slam Specialties SS-5 rear bags.

I suggest you spend a few weeks researching air before jumping into it. That's what I did, and I still have more to learn

You need to calibrate it or adjust the settings. V2 is pointless if not for the presets. Mine hits the preset everytime
      Weird, I've calibrated several times, not once has my preset ever gotten hit in the right place.

Vehicles
      07-16-2012 05:24 PM #27
      Try hitting your preset, driving a hundred feet or so and hit it again. Should hit within 1-3psi no problem.

When you are at a stop and change the suspension angles so drastically(by airing out) you bind the components up. Drive a little to unbind the suspension and double tap the preset button again. This will allow you to hit the proper preset. This technique is recommended by Airlift themselves.

The 1-3psi difference is typical and perfectly acceptable of a pressure based system.

If you are still having issues there is a section in the settings that adjusts how hard the system try's to hit the exact psi's requested. I forget specifically what it is called and am too lazy to go look. Default is 5. Try adjusting it lower(2-3) and see if that helps
      // Open Road Tuning

28. 07-16-2012 05:35 PM #28
      Can someone tell me what D- cups are and what is the difference.

Vehicles
      07-16-2012 05:40 PM #29
      Try hitting your preset, driving a hundred feet or so and hit it again. Should hit within 1-3psi no problem.

When you are at a stop and change the suspension angles so drastically(by airing out) you bind the components up. Drive a little to unbind the suspension and double tap the preset button again. This will allow you to hit the proper preset. This technique is recommended by Airlift themselves.

The 1-3psi difference is typical and perfectly acceptable of a pressure based system.

If you are still having issues there is a section in the settings that adjusts how hard the system try's to hit the exact psi's requested. I forget specifically what it is called and am too lazy to go look. Default is 5. Try adjusting it lower(2-3) and see if that helps
      I think mine is set at 3. Do you have this issue airing out as well? I have hit a "successful" maybe once. It empties bags to like 1-3 PSI, but I just want to double check given the circumstances.

Vehicles
      07-16-2012 05:42 PM #30
      Can someone tell me what D- cups are and what is the difference.
      http://www.dorbritzdesigns.com/p/d-c...-brackets.html

They fit in the control arm in place of the spring and above where it will rub.

Vehicles
      07-16-2012 05:48 PM #31
      I think mine is set at 3. Do you have this issue airing out as well? I have hit a "successful" maybe once. It empties bags to like 1-3 PSI, but I just want to double check given the circumstances.
      Mine empty to 0 every time. Are you calibrating on flat even ground? That doesn't sound right at all. I'd contact Airlift with your problem
      // Open Road Tuning

Vehicles
      07-16-2012 05:53 PM #32
      Mine empty to 0 every time. Are you calibrating on flat even ground? That doesn't sound right at all. I'd contact Airlift with your problem
      Yeah, even brought out a level to be sure of it! I'll do so, hopefully they can give some insight.

33. 07-16-2012 05:56 PM #33
      So the car already has them in the rear these just replace the existing ones ??

Vehicles
      07-16-2012 06:40 PM #34
      So the car already has them in the rear these just replace the existing ones ??
      The rears just have a spring sitting in. The D-Cups drop in.

35. 07-16-2012 09:49 PM #35
      ugh.. lol. Air seems much more complicated then Coil Overs. Im a coil over expert. ( Not really) But can someone just tell me what I would need. to get the fitment i want. obviously so far on the list i have

1. V2 Control w/ lines, tank and compressor
      2. Air lift from bag set up
      3. Rear bag set up???? Do i buy bags and struts separately? Do the Cup things have to have specific bags with them??
      So im pretty much asking what all will i need for the rear.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast