Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Air Conditioning warm when idle

1. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg 1.8T
      07-15-2012 09:39 PM #1
      I'm sure this has been asked a ton, but I just can't find it in the searches.

2001 AWW 1.8T Wolfsburg.

I bought some r134a and have a AC gauge that's a year old.

Here's what I did -

Car Running, AC on full blast, coldest setting. Compressor was visibly spinning.
      I hooked up the gauge and it was right below Red, so I know it's not low. I added a little more but didn't want to overcharge it.

However, again, when I'm cruising going 80, it's really cold. But when the RPMs drop it gets warm.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
      Jonathan

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Wolfsburg 1.8T
      07-16-2012 09:37 AM #2
      I did some more indepth searching outside the vortex and found my larger fan isn't running at all when the AC is turned on. So that's the problem.

Is over charging my ac system a little bit going to do damage? Or should I go out right now and vent some of it?

Vehicles
      2004 GLI 02M; 1997 Ford F-150
      07-16-2012 11:21 AM #3
      Vent some, but you really should get a set of gauges and hook it up to your low and high pressure lines so you are venting the correct amount if any. I know Autozone loans the a/c gauges.

Wrong forum BTW.
      Please vote for a Maestro Tuning Sub-Forum!
      PM me for Bentley repair manual PDF.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2001 Jetta Wolfsburg Edition
      07-16-2012 01:15 PM #4
      The pulley on the compressor is ALWAYS spinning when the engine is running. It's wheter or not the clutch is engaged when the A/C is on that is the issue. When you check the system pressure, you need to make sure you are positive that the clutch is engaged when taking your readings, otherwise they will be wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy wrong. Obviously the clutch functions, because it gets cold when driving, but you need to figure out if it is clutching in/out when at idle.

Quote Originally Posted by JMBoriss View Post
      I'm sure this has been asked a ton, but I just can't find it in the searches.

2001 AWW 1.8T Wolfsburg.

I bought some r134a and have a AC gauge that's a year old.

Here's what I did -

Car Running, AC on full blast, coldest setting. Compressor was visibly spinning.
      I hooked up the gauge and it was right below Red, so I know it's not low. I added a little more but didn't want to overcharge it.

However, again, when I'm cruising going 80, it's really cold. But when the RPMs drop it gets warm.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
      Jonathan
      CTS/Kinetic Top Mount Kit (Garrett GT3071R), Eurodyne Maestro 630cc, Siemens 630cc Injectors, Walbro GSS340 In-tank, New South Column Mount Boost Gauge, TT/R32 Control Arm Bushings, 18x8 ASA AR1's wrapped in Continental Extreme Contact DWS, BFI Stage 2 Dogbone Inserts, Eurojet Street FMIC, 42DD Stealth Catch Can, BFI Stage 1 Engine and Transmission Mounts, 42DD 3in. Turboback Exhaust, TSI Ignition Coils w/ IE Adapter Plates