Motor wont start after engine build. The motor is getting fuel, spark, and air. The motor seems to be “flooding” meaning drenching the cylinders with fuel but not igniting. NO CODES.
1.8T AEB all new internals, bored out to 82.5mm, 8.5:1 CR, shaved intermediate shaft, supertech valvetrain, IE race/strip cams, GT35r, tuning Eurodyne, MBC.
I've spent a lot of time searching forms of other people build to see if they have the same issues. Had spent over a month thus far maticously cleaning and piecing the motor back together. Had engine internals assembled by machince shop, timing belt and cam chain is set perfectly (no half tooth off). The engine is not the original engine from the car, got the engine as a part out and built it while the original engine was in the car so I could drive it. So the original engine is sitting outside right next to the car and everything was in working condition. No issues with the original motor what so ever.
Confusing part (possibly the issue):
1. I built this setup to run off Eurodyne’s 830cc tune. I currently have their 440cc tune on my ecu. The ecu is locked right now due to prior issues with the controller and had Ctapp bench program it. So I am attempting to start the motor off the 440cc tune just so I can read the ecu and get a new license from Ctapp. I can guarantee that the 440cc tune is in working condition and runs fine. I had this in the car with a k04 setup.
2. I do not have the front end on (no radiator or coolant). I have read that the car may not start without the coolant temp sensor hooked up, so I did at least hook up the sensor without officially mounting the radiator up. No luck starting.
3. The 440cc tune calls for the 1.8T maf sensor in a vr housing. The 830cc tune calls for an A8 V8 mf sensor and housing. I currently have the v8 maf installed. I have tried starting the motor with the maf installed and disconnected. I know for a fact that the car can run with out the maf hooked up, tried it on the k04 set up.
4. I have a catch can installed that is venting to atmosphere right now. It’s not diverted back into the intake.
5. No exhaust piping, the 02 sensor is not hooked up and shouldn’t be the issue because it doesn’t operate when its not warmed up.
6. Since im not running boost, I don’t have anything divereted back into the intake. i.e. pcv, diverter valve, n75 removed but still electrically connected.
What I’ve done thus far:
I have fuel pressure, running an AFPR at 3.5 bar. I initially tried to start with the 830cc injectors on the 440cc tune, it seemed to be “flooding” so swapped in the 440cc injectors no luck starting it on them.
Tested all the spark plugs, I pulled the plugs and hooked each coilpack up individually with spark plug and cranked the motor and saw spark on all plugs. One thing to note though is that I do notice that it takes a little bit of time before plugs spark, maybe 1 sec or 2.
I definatly have air, tried with with no intercooler, I used piping to connect the turbo outlet to the intake manifold. Also took the piping off and just let the motor suck in air from vaccum. The gt35r is a larger turbo so there is no spool during cranking so it’s not pushing air into the motor.
Tried swaping to the built motor from working motor:
Crank positioning sensor
Cam posistion sensor
Put the front end on, fill with coolant
Swap over the maf to the vr6 maf setup
Complete the intake; divert everything required back into the intake.
Quadruple check all connections and vacuum lines
I may have forgotten something. Any advise or opinions?