Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    VWVortex


    Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Results 36 to 70 of 154

    Thread: About to commence a progressive build on an 89 wagon

    1. Member toast_king's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 17th, 2012
      Location
      Detroit, MI
      Posts
      310
      Vehicles
      1989 Fox Wagon
      09-14-2012 01:19 AM #36
      ok so while waiting for work to slow down so i can get the entire front suspension replaced with new parts (all sitting in the back seat) I've been doing little things to continue making her my own. Here's some of the pics:

      Got a new passenger side regulator (still need to find a driver side, have a brand new passenger side to trade if anyone needs it) and added power windows, well one...



      added a tach tonight (figured out the wiring after a brief hiccup)

      tried to get the red LED dash lights to show up too, not so lucky...


      when its off:


      when its on:


      the mounting and wire routing. since my dimmer switch is broken and jumped i figured screw it! (also painted the back of the tach flat black so it didnt stick out so bad

    2. Member themagellan's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 30th, 2007
      Location
      East
      Posts
      2,628
      Vehicles
      1991 Audi 200 20vt Quattro
      09-14-2012 04:57 PM #37
      That is a rad line down the side... I want to copy.

    3. Member toast_king's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 17th, 2012
      Location
      Detroit, MI
      Posts
      310
      Vehicles
      1989 Fox Wagon
      09-15-2012 03:57 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by themagellan View Post
      That is a rad line down the side... I want to copy.
      feel free man! it was super easy! just 2 inch blue painters tape and some satin black rattle can paint for a buck at home depot!

    4. Member toast_king's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 17th, 2012
      Location
      Detroit, MI
      Posts
      310
      Vehicles
      1989 Fox Wagon
      09-16-2012 09:49 PM #39
      changed my heater core today. all can say is what a complete PITA!






    5. Member j-boogie253's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 30th, 2009
      Location
      Tacoma, WA
      Posts
      1,191
      Vehicles
      90 Fox, 88 GLI, 91 Jetta (RIP), 98 A4 (RIP)
      09-16-2012 11:21 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by toast_king View Post
      changed my heater core today. all can say is what a complete PITA!
      But doesn't it feel good knowing you did it and some dealer didn't cut up your glove box?

      Still a daunting task nonetheless

      If you were a Volkswagen....who would your owner be?

    6. Member toast_king's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 17th, 2012
      Location
      Detroit, MI
      Posts
      310
      Vehicles
      1989 Fox Wagon
      09-16-2012 11:24 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by j-boogie253 View Post
      But doesn't it feel good knowing you did it and some dealer didn't cut up your glove box?

      Still a daunting task nonetheless

      I paid $300 for the car, I'll never pay to have it worked on unless it's a buddy and cheap.


      It'll feel good after about a week of solid driving making sure there aren't any leaks and the heat is reliable. I'm sure I'll notice a wire I forgot to hook up soon...

    7. Member j-boogie253's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 30th, 2009
      Location
      Tacoma, WA
      Posts
      1,191
      Vehicles
      90 Fox, 88 GLI, 91 Jetta (RIP), 98 A4 (RIP)
      09-17-2012 12:10 AM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by toast_king View Post
      I paid $300 for the car, I'll never pay to have it worked on unless it's a buddy and cheap.
      I hear that

      The only time any of my cars have been to a "shop" was for a windshield replacement

      Keep up the good work and get more pics of those power windows when you get a chance

      If you were a Volkswagen....who would your owner be?

    8. Member toast_king's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 17th, 2012
      Location
      Detroit, MI
      Posts
      310
      Vehicles
      1989 Fox Wagon
      09-17-2012 01:00 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by j-boogie253 View Post
      I hear that

      The only time any of my cars have been to a "shop" was for a windshield replacement

      Keep up the good work and get more pics of those power windows when you get a chance

      Will do! Currently tryIng to acquIre a drIvers sIde regulator...

    9. Member toast_king's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 17th, 2012
      Location
      Detroit, MI
      Posts
      310
      Vehicles
      1989 Fox Wagon
      09-25-2012 12:43 PM #44
      well, got the drivers side regulator AND working factory exterior door handles! Maybe it's almosst time for those bentley badges I think the interior will be on hold until it gets warm again, this should get me through the winter reliably.

      finally have power windows on both sides!



      took the old ventshades from my last car and cut them to fit so now i don't have to worry about getting rained on!


    10. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2012
      Location
      Elkton MD
      Posts
      503
      Vehicles
      93 VW Fox GL ( black ) R.I.P...2000 Jetta GLS 2.0L Black leather 200k miles and counting
      09-26-2012 05:35 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by toast_king View Post
      well, got the drivers side regulator AND working factory exterior door handles! Maybe it's almosst time for those bentley badges I think the interior will be on hold until it gets warm again, this should get me through the winter reliably.

      finally have power windows on both sides!



      took the old ventshades from my last car and cut them to fit so now i don't have to worry about getting rained on!

      hey toast_king wagons looking sexy i love your powered regulators where did you get them by chance??? also have you done a in depth install for them and wireing please and thanks

    11. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2012
      Location
      Elkton MD
      Posts
      503
      Vehicles
      93 VW Fox GL ( black ) R.I.P...2000 Jetta GLS 2.0L Black leather 200k miles and counting
      09-26-2012 05:38 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by toast_king View Post
      changed my heater core today. all can say is what a complete PITA!





      yo toast_king why did you remove the whole dash ive replaced my heater core and all i removed was the center console and the lower dash piece and the blower motor along with the bottom plastic

    12. Member toast_king's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 17th, 2012
      Location
      Detroit, MI
      Posts
      310
      Vehicles
      1989 Fox Wagon
      09-27-2012 10:16 AM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by woodardman View Post
      yo toast_king why did you remove the whole dash ive replaced my heater core and all i removed was the center console and the lower dash piece and the blower motor along with the bottom plastic
      I have a/c in my wagon so the heater box has the cooler in the bottom of the box, making it taller and impossible to just wrench out. Plus it really only takes like 15 minutes to get the whole dash out if you've done it once before.

    13. Member toast_king's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 17th, 2012
      Location
      Detroit, MI
      Posts
      310
      Vehicles
      1989 Fox Wagon
      09-27-2012 10:20 AM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by woodardman View Post
      hey toast_king wagons looking sexy i love your powered regulators where did you get them by chance??? also have you done a in depth install for them and wireing please and thanks
      I got the power motors and a 4 door power door lock kit with keyless for $100 on ebay, just search power window conversion kit and it should come up with plenty. As for the write up... i have not, mainly because the kits come with instructions and i dont enjoy redundancy.

    14. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2012
      Location
      Elkton MD
      Posts
      503
      Vehicles
      93 VW Fox GL ( black ) R.I.P...2000 Jetta GLS 2.0L Black leather 200k miles and counting
      09-27-2012 03:57 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by toast_king View Post
      I have a/c in my wagon so the heater box has the cooler in the bottom of the box, making it taller and impossible to just wrench out. Plus it really only takes like 15 minutes to get the whole dash out if you've done it once before.
      i have A/C to ehh what ever way works for you theres prolly a diff between the wagon and the sedan

    15. Member bluetoes591's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 3rd, 2009
      Location
      Vancouver, BC
      Posts
      611
      Vehicles
      1989 Fox Wolfsburg, 1990 Fox Coupe
      09-27-2012 04:57 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by woodardman View Post
      i have A/C to ehh what ever way works for you theres prolly a diff between the wagon and the sedan
      Could be a pre-post knee bar difference. 1987-1989 the dash was one piece, 1990-1993 you can pull the knee bar which opens up a lot of room to work.

    16. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 2006
      Location
      Brokelyn, NY
      Posts
      4,963
      Vehicles
      90 fox, 85 gli
      09-27-2012 08:34 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by bluetoes591 View Post
      Could be a pre-post knee bar difference. 1987-1989 the dash was one piece, 1990-1993 you can pull the knee bar which opens up a lot of room to work.
      Hey! That's the first good thing I've heard about the knee bar!!
      I really suck at smog.

    17. Member toast_king's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 17th, 2012
      Location
      Detroit, MI
      Posts
      310
      Vehicles
      1989 Fox Wagon
      09-27-2012 09:00 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by bluetoes591 View Post
      Could be a pre-post knee bar difference. 1987-1989 the dash was one piece, 1990-1993 you can pull the knee bar which opens up a lot of room to work.
      considering i have no idea what this knee bar thing is I'm going to guess I dont have one. Plus it's really not a hassle to pull the dash anymore.

    18. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2012
      Location
      Elkton MD
      Posts
      503
      Vehicles
      93 VW Fox GL ( black ) R.I.P...2000 Jetta GLS 2.0L Black leather 200k miles and counting
      09-27-2012 10:16 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by bluetoes591 View Post
      Could be a pre-post knee bar difference. 1987-1989 the dash was one piece, 1990-1993 you can pull the knee bar which opens up a lot of room to work.
      yeahhhhh i couldnt think of a name for it lol it does give alot of room up and its heavy for a piece of the dash even tho thats random

    19. Member bluetoes591's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 3rd, 2009
      Location
      Vancouver, BC
      Posts
      611
      Vehicles
      1989 Fox Wolfsburg, 1990 Fox Coupe
      09-28-2012 04:07 AM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by ziddey View Post
      Hey! That's the first good thing I've heard about the knee bar!!
      That's the only good thing there is to say about the knee bar. Well, the other good thing is you can leave it in your garage and save yourself thirty pounds of weight...

    20. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 2006
      Location
      Brokelyn, NY
      Posts
      4,963
      Vehicles
      90 fox, 85 gli
      09-28-2012 04:08 AM #55
      what's it look like with it removed?? what do you do with the center console part? or just say to hell with the center console too it's good for a pound or so!


      yeah it's been too long since i've driven the fox
      Last edited by ziddey; 09-28-2012 at 04:21 AM.
      I really suck at smog.

    21. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2012
      Location
      Elkton MD
      Posts
      503
      Vehicles
      93 VW Fox GL ( black ) R.I.P...2000 Jetta GLS 2.0L Black leather 200k miles and counting
      09-28-2012 07:11 AM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by ziddey View Post
      what's it look like with it removed?? what do you do with the center console part? or just say to hell with the center console too it's good for a pound or so!


      yeah it's been too long since i've driven the fox
      heres the best pic i have this is actually when i replaced the heater core....all i did was this it was messy buuuut it worked and the fuse box is hanging because i didnt noticed it could go up any further but i got it back on it mounts and its hiding again


    22. Member toast_king's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 17th, 2012
      Location
      Detroit, MI
      Posts
      310
      Vehicles
      1989 Fox Wagon
      09-28-2012 10:45 AM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by woodardman View Post
      heres the best pic i have this is actually when i replaced the heater core....all i did was this it was messy buuuut it worked and the fuse box is hanging because i didnt noticed it could go up any further but i got it back on it mounts and its hiding again

      i am jack's raging jealousy.

    23. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2012
      Location
      Elkton MD
      Posts
      503
      Vehicles
      93 VW Fox GL ( black ) R.I.P...2000 Jetta GLS 2.0L Black leather 200k miles and counting
      09-28-2012 04:04 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by toast_king View Post
      i am jack's raging jealousy.
      what???

    24. Member toast_king's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 17th, 2012
      Location
      Detroit, MI
      Posts
      310
      Vehicles
      1989 Fox Wagon
      09-28-2012 05:17 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by woodardman View Post
      what???
      at the simplicity of your heater core job

    25. Member bluetoes591's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 3rd, 2009
      Location
      Vancouver, BC
      Posts
      611
      Vehicles
      1989 Fox Wolfsburg, 1990 Fox Coupe
      09-28-2012 09:36 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by ziddey View Post
      what's it look like with it removed?? what do you do with the center console part? or just say to hell with the center console too it's good for a pound or so!


      yeah it's been too long since i've driven the fox
      Nothing special, but it doesn't look awful either. Most of the time it's installed, but any time I take it out it always takes awhile before I get around to putting it back in. Sitting in the seat you mostly just notice the extra legroom, not that something is missing.





    26. Member voxwagen88's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 8th, 2001
      Location
      North Vancouver
      Posts
      1,739
      Vehicles
      1988 Fox Wagon ...................... 1990 Fox Wagon
      09-29-2012 01:58 AM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by bluetoes591 View Post
      Sitting in the seat you mostly just notice the extra legroom, not that something is missing.
      Is there any more body flex or cowl shutter with it out?

    27. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2012
      Location
      Elkton MD
      Posts
      503
      Vehicles
      93 VW Fox GL ( black ) R.I.P...2000 Jetta GLS 2.0L Black leather 200k miles and counting
      09-29-2012 02:14 AM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by toast_king View Post
      at the simplicity of your heater core job
      Thanks i tryed lmao but it wasnt all that easy its just cramped under there once you get down there you get into a weird position and you cant seem to get out lol i found the best way is to lay upside down with my feet hangn off the top of the seats

    28. Member bluetoes591's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 3rd, 2009
      Location
      Vancouver, BC
      Posts
      611
      Vehicles
      1989 Fox Wolfsburg, 1990 Fox Coupe
      09-29-2012 04:20 AM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by voxwagen88 View Post
      Is there any more body flex or cowl shutter with it out?
      Possible, definitely possible. Hard to tell though with my lack of functional sway bar bushings. I gotta schedule myself a day off somewhere and fix that.

    29. Member toast_king's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 17th, 2012
      Location
      Detroit, MI
      Posts
      310
      Vehicles
      1989 Fox Wagon
      09-29-2012 11:57 AM #64
      I'm quickly reaching the end of my wits. I have a split in the coolant line right out the back of the head and no idea how to replace it.

    30. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2012
      Location
      Elkton MD
      Posts
      503
      Vehicles
      93 VW Fox GL ( black ) R.I.P...2000 Jetta GLS 2.0L Black leather 200k miles and counting
      09-29-2012 02:10 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by toast_king View Post
      I'm quickly reaching the end of my wits. I have a split in the coolant line right out the back of the head and no idea how to replace it.
      post a pic ill help you out toast_king

    31. Member toast_king's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 17th, 2012
      Location
      Detroit, MI
      Posts
      310
      Vehicles
      1989 Fox Wagon
      09-29-2012 03:54 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by woodardman View Post
      post a pic ill help you out toast_king
      the battery is removed and that;s what youre looking between, that and the rear of the engine.



      I managed to snake my phone down below it to grab the next couple ones






    32. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2012
      Location
      Elkton MD
      Posts
      503
      Vehicles
      93 VW Fox GL ( black ) R.I.P...2000 Jetta GLS 2.0L Black leather 200k miles and counting
      09-29-2012 04:19 PM #67
      ok so the hose is cracked not the metal "nipple" coming off the block? and im not familiar with this hose is this on the 93 fox ? and whats the problem like you cant get to the clamp to replace the hose?

    33. Member toast_king's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 17th, 2012
      Location
      Detroit, MI
      Posts
      310
      Vehicles
      1989 Fox Wagon
      09-29-2012 04:30 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by woodardman View Post
      ok so the hose is cracked not the metal "nipple" coming off the block? and im not familiar with this hose is this on the 93 fox ? and whats the problem like you cant get to the clamp to replace the hose?
      Yeah the hose is split a little ways behind the clamp. Its on an 89 wagon, and im sure i could get to that top clamp you see but i have no idea where it goes to.

    34. Member
      Join Date
      Sep 12th, 2012
      Location
      Elkton MD
      Posts
      503
      Vehicles
      93 VW Fox GL ( black ) R.I.P...2000 Jetta GLS 2.0L Black leather 200k miles and counting
      09-29-2012 04:36 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by toast_king View Post
      Yeah the hose is split a little ways behind the clamp. Its on an 89 wagon, and im sure i could get to that top clamp you see but i have no idea where it goes to.
      well heres all the hoses i know goto the radiator
      1 bottom
      2 left side of radiator
      1 large on top of the radiator
      and 1 small overflow into the over flow tank
      try to trace these it may be the one on the bottom of the radiato

    35. Member toast_king's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 17th, 2012
      Location
      Detroit, MI
      Posts
      310
      Vehicles
      1989 Fox Wagon
      09-29-2012 05:08 PM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by woodardman View Post
      well heres all the hoses i know goto the radiator
      1 bottom
      2 left side of radiator
      1 large on top of the radiator
      and 1 small overflow into the over flow tank
      try to trace these it may be the one on the bottom of the radiato
      Got it, yanked it. Its a heater core line. Goes to the lower heater core tip. Now to hope they have something i can make work at advanced...

    Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •