Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Q about HT processors

Vehicles
      2004 VW Golf R32 DeepBluePerleffekt (B5R)
      07-17-2012 01:39 PM #1
      i found 2 really nice used HT preamps for sale--
      B&K Comp. Reference 50 and a Classe SSP-60

never mind~~the Classe was pulled from the auction without selling.the unknown reserve was not met.i bought the B&K yay!
      Last edited by gruppe-b; 07-30-2012 at 06:09 PM. Reason: addl. info
      I my R32
      it's the best VW evar!
      Mind-Blowing List of Mods: Dark Charcoal tinted front side markers & blinkers.Continental DWS A/S tires on stock Aristos w/ VW Racing center caps.Koni FSD shocks w/ OEM US R32 springs.EBC Redstuff pads.Gloss Black painted stock front grille & mirror caps.

Vehicles
      08-03-2012 08:03 AM #2
      i didn't want to start another similar thread having to do with this unit,so i thought i'd continue on with a new question...

i got the B&K Ref 50 Series2 all hooked up and running yesterday.it came with a very fancy aftermarket remote(original had broken) it's a Universal Remote Control Medius TX-1000.it is no longer made and it appears that it can only be programmed by authorized dealers .i can't seem to reset it to use with any of my other equipment~it is set up to run a bunch of other stuff(projector screen,lights,macros,etc).i was able to upload my Philips Prestigo remote with the proper control codes,so i'm ok as far as that goes ,now

my main issue is that the '50's OSD is all scrambled-up on my screen--can't read it.i have it hooked up to my rear projector tv monitor with component cable.my outboard HD tuner's signal passes through the unit to my tv (over the same line) with no problem(??) .
      edit:also--my DVD player's signal passes through the Ref 50 as well--though it was 'scrambled' at first too ,until i activated the progressive scan function on the Denon .

what am i doing wrong? i know i must have something selected wrong in the unit's setup menu.i printed out a copy of the operator's manual,but there is no mention of selecting a different setting if the OSD is unviewable on certain tv's.

i went to B&K's website and checked their FAQ listing for this model.they suggest using an S-video cable in addition to the usual component video cable.i tried that and there was no change (still diagonally scrambled) i'm stumped.

any suggestions to correct this issue?
      thank you.
      Last edited by gruppe-b; 08-10-2012 at 10:08 PM.
      I my R32
      it's the best VW evar!
      Mind-Blowing List of Mods: Dark Charcoal tinted front side markers & blinkers.Continental DWS A/S tires on stock Aristos w/ VW Racing center caps.Koni FSD shocks w/ OEM US R32 springs.EBC Redstuff pads.Gloss Black painted stock front grille & mirror caps.

Vehicles
      08-30-2012 11:09 AM #3
      well,i guess nobody knows the fix for this.
      i can still access all of the unit's functions from the front panel buttons~it's just a little trickier than looking at a nice,neat screen layout on the HD monitor.
      thanks anyway,all
      I my R32
      it's the best VW evar!

4. 08-30-2012 09:47 PM #4
      I had a similar problem with my old H/K receiver. I normally ran component out to the TV but when trying to access the OSD the display was unreadable. If I wanted to access the OSD I had to disconnect the component cables and run just a composite cable to the TV.

5. 09-02-2012 10:53 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Mxyzptlk View Post
      I had a similar problem with my old H/K receiver. I normally ran component out to the TV but when trying to access the OSD the display was unreadable. If I wanted to access the OSD I had to disconnect the component cables and run just a composite cable to the TV.
      Older McIntosh processors are similar. The OSD needs an S-Video or composite input. B&Ks sound good, but there control commands are a little over engineered.

Vehicles
      09-03-2012 08:21 PM #6
      after spending a little time learning most of the B&K's quirks~i think it is just a fundamental technical incompatibility/mismatch with my HD monitor.
      i found that the operator's manual (briefly) states that all input video signals are bumped-up to 1080p,but my Philips monitor can only display up to 1080i.i think that may be the issue...still doesn't explain how my Samsung HD tuner can pass a 1080i signal through the unit though
      anyway,i can access every function by way of the front panel buttons.i can live with that

one other really odd quirk of this machine--there is no button on the remote's settings to access the 'Video 1' input .there's a button for *every* audio or video input except V1 weird?!?
      i had to re-assign my HD tuner's input to 'V2' to allow me to switch from TV to FM or DVD with the remote.before i fixed this issue i had to manually walk over and turn it back to the video 1 input if i had been listening or watching a different input
      i wonder why the V1 input wouldn't have a direct button on the remote? maybe i'm overlooking the obvious?
      anyway,thanks for the suggestions guys.
      I my R32
      it's the best VW evar!