Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Top Gear US Season 3 Thread: Starts August 14th.

1. 07-20-2012 11:52 PM #26
      what is the season/episode where the italian guy drives an Evora to Key West?
      Quote Originally Posted by Aseras View Post
      I got the (RX8) engine replaced at 112K miles not because it failed but because I hit a pig on the interstate.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Grand Prix
      07-20-2012 11:55 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Waarp View Post
      what is the season/episode where the italian guy drives an Evora to Key West?
      S01E06 'Fast in Florida'

Vehicles
      2004 Cooper
      07-21-2012 03:32 AM #28
      TG:UK is on-board with it, why are there so many Top Gear fans who are hatin' (still hatin') ??

Last edited by CJ318; 07-21-2012 at 03:36 AM.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      07-21-2012 04:17 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by CJ318 View Post
      TG:UK is on-board with it, why are there so many Top Gear fans who are hatin' (still hatin') ??
      because eurosnobs.
      كافر
      Save the Nürburgring!

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Eddie View Post
      Gotta keep right on the 'Ring. German road rules apply.
      Quote Originally Posted by NoDubJustYet View Post
      I think you and I have mentioned this one a few times over the years.
      Might as well just make it our signatures at this point.

Vehicles
      2006 Acura CSX, 1996 Porsche 911 C2
      07-21-2012 04:36 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by myeyesareopen View Post
      inb4 Rutledge
      Does Rutledge post on here? That's a dude I'd like to have a beer with.

Current: 2006 Acura CSX, 1996 Porsche 911 C2
      Gone: 2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade (375,000 kms), 2007 VW GTI (BMP), 2001 VW Jetta Wolfsburg Edition, 1994 Ford Ranger (calypso green), 1987 Jeep YJ

6. Member
      Vehicles
      E36, R32
      07-21-2012 04:41 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by davidraeside View Post
      Does Rutledge post on here?
      that he does. however, being NASCAR season, he's probably fairly busy, so who knows how active he will be.

also looking forward to this season, especially since TG:UK won't be back until 2013 (not counting Christmas special). TG:US has come a long way, and the past season was actually really enjoyable.
      welcome to the layer cake

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Grand Prix
      07-21-2012 05:44 AM #32
      TGUS has grown on me. I still think it's a bit less professional, and they spend much more time in the video clips than in the studio. The interviews with the guests are very short and their handling of 'The Stig' leaves a lot to be desired. "Take it away, Stig"???? You don't have to copy TGUK, but at least add some mystery and intrigue to the character.

I know the guys are certainly younger than their UK counterparts and it surely shows during the clips, but can we get through a single episode without them ramming each other's cars, especially ones that are still in decent shape? TGUS, if a single car makes it through the episode alive, it's a failure, it seems. This is a car show for people who love cars, not all of us love watching every car they show get destroyed.

The TGUK show doesn't (usually) destroy cars on a whim. Their cars can and do fail and die at times, but it's usually due to their age or lack of maintenance, not planned carnage.

I'd love to see Adam hold the interview position as he is much more natural at it, imo, and gets a better quality interview most of the time. I was glad to see him get some real training from Boris Said in S3 as he seemed to need it. With the skill differences between the trio it's a tougher chemistry than the TGUK crew. TGUK crew is 3 people with good driving skills but no formal training, all just auto aficionados with roughly the same skills. With Tanner on TGUS, the skill difference is almost too much, making most driving competitions skewed in his favor right away. Rutt seems to be between Tanner and Adam, but closer to Adam. I'd love to see if they can figure out a way to exploit each person's skill to make the show tighter. Rutt is the best bud everyone wants to hang out with and have a good time, spontaneous and hilarious, wacky and a bit crazy. Tanner the focused skilled racer with the ability to get at least 8/10ths of a car's performance. They did a little of this for Tanner in S3 with his indoor speed record, the video game vs real LFA, and a few other things, but lets see more and in more detail. Adam is the grease that keeps everything running, the professional 'person'. Let him do all the interviews, most of the lead-ins, improve his driving a bit more to make it more interesting, and let him come up with some over the top stuff, classy, smooth, cool stuff.

Right now it feels like all 3 of them are trying to be neutral versions of themselves and it just makes the show not flow well. Let each one free to play to their strengths and I think we'll see a better show. On TGUK, Captain Slow is laid back stays out of the way, grumbles, and has his own spin/tastes, while Hammond is the eager beaver ready to prove everyone wrong about anything or try anything then you have Clarkson that is the rock that keeps everything on pace and moving and dishing out a few insults here and there. It's great chemistry because they all know their roles and are great at them. With TGUS, each presenter seems to be trying to do everything and nobody can settle into something they can call their own and the show suffers for it.

Sorry for the lengthy post, just some observations I hope will inspire the people responsible for the show to improve and create the next TG dynasty.
      Last edited by Maxvla; 07-21-2012 at 05:46 AM.

Vehicles
      2004 Cooper
      07-21-2012 07:49 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post
      I know the guys are certainly younger than their UK counterparts and it surely shows during the clips, but can we get through a single episode without them ramming each other's cars, especially ones that are still in decent shape? TGUS, if a single car makes it through the episode alive, it's a failure, it seems. This is a car show for people who love cars, not all of us love watching every car they show get destroyed.

The TGUK show doesn't (usually) destroy cars on a whim. Their cars can and do fail and die at times, but it's usually due to their age or lack of maintenance, not planned carnage.
      Agreeeeeeeeeeeeee. In two seasons they've wrecked plenty of "cool" or "nice" cars, the first car segment being a decent example with the CRX and VW pickup. At least wreck crap nobody cares for, like Caravans

9. Member
      Vehicles
      04 R32, 86 Jetta 16v coupe, 85 Citroen 2cv, 02 F350, 71 Plymouth Satellite, 01 GT
      07-21-2012 10:58 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by CJ318 View Post
      Agreeeeeeeeeeeeee. In two seasons they've wrecked plenty of "cool" or "nice" cars, the first car segment being a decent example with the CRX and VW pickup. At least wreck crap nobody cares for, like Caravans
      I agree about wrecking too many cool cars. I have shouted NOOOOOOO a few times when they destroy a "keeper." Otherwise I think the show is really good and the chemistry is building between the guys. Really enjoyed the Alaska "Toughest Truck" episode. Good job guys!!!

10. King of the Hammers (& Passat TDIs)
      07-23-2012 02:13 AM #35
      What's up gang! Sorry I'm late to update...

Pretty pumped about the new season. We have some really good stuff coming up. I'm typing on my iPad in a hotel room in Moab because we just finished show #6 for this run, so please excuse me if I have any typos on this little bastard.

There's some fun shows coming up...a couple of them I'm sure you guys will feel like are TCL shows entirely.

We don't have a studio portion for the first 6 episodes of this 16 show season because History really wanted us to get the shows done as soon as we can, so we just had to cut that part out. As a lot of you know, that's a bit of a bummer because I love that part if for no reason besides that we get up close and personal with the fans of the show, which I love...which is also why I finally joined the Vortex.

Hopefully with the next 10 shows we will have the time to do it...we will have some celebrities in the show though...just in different ways.

Hope you guys will watch the show and enjoy it...love to hear what you guys think...it's always funny to hear that I'm a fat hipster, so I'll be ready for that too

Ps- I've bought or tried to buy more cars from this season than I have before from the show, so maybe that's a hint

Peace,
      Rut
      Co-Host Top Gear on History
      '66 VW Double Cab Pickup '83 Honda Civic Wagon B18b '49 Chevy Step Van
      Www.TheRutledgeWood.com
      Haters Gon' Hate

11. Member
      Vehicles
      2006 Grand Prix
      07-23-2012 03:23 AM #36
      Awesome. 16 shows is great! Thanks for the update, looking forward to them.

12. 07-23-2012 03:25 AM #37
      Nice to see you back, Rut.

That non-studio thing is fine with me. Sometimes it just adds too much "fluff" at times. Hopefully it means more time out testing cars and doing more humorous comparos/contests.

Will be tuning in for the next season! I think you all have really hit your stride(s) now.

Joe C.

Vehicles
      2003 Ford Focus 2.3, 2006 Ford Fusion 2.3 Turbo, 2014 Fiesta SE 1.0T
      07-23-2012 08:01 AM #38
      Thanks for keeping us up to date Rut!

14. King of the Hammers (& Passat TDIs)
      07-24-2012 12:44 AM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Maxvla View Post
      Awesome. 16 shows is great! Thanks for the update, looking forward to them.
      Thanks a lot! We're pumped...they've been really fun to do and I think that's going show.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cook View Post
      Nice to see you back, Rut.

That non-studio thing is fine with me. Sometimes it just adds too much "fluff" at times. Hopefully it means more time out testing cars and doing more humorous comparos/contests.

Will be tuning in for the next season! I think you all have really hit your stride(s) now.

Joe C.
      Thanks man...you know, it's tough because we've got 16 minutes less to work with than the UK show, so it's hard to really give the studio enough time to breathe. It wasn't very good for season 1 because they wanted us to stick so close to the UK shows format, but without the time to show our personalities, it didn't all translate on tv...and the big shock was it was a lot of fun to be there in the audience for that one, but it's a learning experience.

Crazy to think that at the end of this run, we will have done 46 shows. Holy **** that's crazy to me...it stil doesn't feel real to me that I'm on the show. Bananas.

Anywho, thanks for the support. I'll find out if they'll let me tell you guys what's coming up !
      Www.TheRutledgeWood.com
      Haters Gon' Hate

Vehicles
      White car with an obnoxious wing on the back
      07-24-2012 01:23 AM #40
      I'm glad to see you guys getting away from the UK format. As May and Hammond said in the video, us Americans have gotten used to your personalities and mannerisms. I think your producers tried to get people hooked during the first season by following the UK format but kind of saw it backfire when they realized how many people were familiar with the TGUK.

Also I forget that Rutledge lives about 15 minutes away from me here in Fayette County. I need to get the guy who details your cars to give mine a work over. Also, I waved at you during the PTC 4th of July Parade.

If you can't fix it with a hammer, then you have an electrical issue

16. Member
      Vehicles
      S80, CRV
      07-24-2012 01:41 AM #41
      Can't wait for the season to start.

Can we expect to see a maserati biturbo this time?

17. King of the Hammers (& Passat TDIs)
      07-24-2012 02:19 AM #42
      Thanks for the wave man! I was up way late working on the float for my wife & we some how won most patriotic...that's her dad's store so usually they're using my car trailer to pull something. Thanks for not making fun of my gangster ass rims on the Suburban. Rims were free from a friend who took them off his ex-wife's escalade when she left him so only had to buy new tires

And no Bi-turbo just yet...one day my friend...one day.
      Www.TheRutledgeWood.com
      Haters Gon' Hate

Vehicles
      1961 Studebaker Lark, 2004 Subaru Forester XT
      07-24-2012 02:21 AM #43
      Is it weird that whenever I read a post by Rutledge I hear his voice reading to me?
      1961 Studebaker Lark - Ford 289 V8, C4 transmission, Dana 60, yadda yadda yadda
      2004 Subaru Forester XT - bunch of meaningless stuff thrown on it

19. Member
      Vehicles
      1994 Land Cruiser
      07-24-2012 04:09 AM #44
      Rutledge, your fame spreads. I've been watching TG:US here in Southern Africa for the past couple of months. BBC is showing it here while TG:UK is on hiatus. Hope your contract gets you a % of the foreign income

Vehicles
      a van
      07-24-2012 11:16 AM #45
      Can't wait for the new season (also, Rut, you get all my e-props for consistently tweeting back to my shoutouts hah! )

I know there's been interviews by the UK crew talking about the US version and probably vice versa - has there been any talk of have a UK/US showdown like they did with the Australian crew?? That would make for an awesome special!
      twitter x PSN:zerosaint x MUFC x FS: 18" 4x100 TRD Wheels
      Quote Originally Posted by MrSavvy View Post
      I'll break it down for you simple minded people. VWvortex. The VW stands for Volkswagen. And when you create a forum, admins can create sections within the forum. This forum has a section for general car chit-chat. The car lounge. So you see, even though it's a VW forum, you can still discuss other topics.

Vehicles
      2003 Silverstone GTI 1.8t(Gone), 2006 Brilliant Red Audi A3 3.2Q
      07-24-2012 11:36 AM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by fircrest View Post
      Is it weird that whenever I read a post by Rutledge I hear his voice reading to me?
      I hear it too...lol

Rut, can't wait for the new season. Hope to see more old school VW on there...lol
      Mods:Unitronics Stage 1+ | UM DSG Tune | Magnaflow Catback | HPA SHS Coilovers | MODSHACK VTDA intake
      VRSociety #172

Quote Originally Posted by Boost112 View Post
      Interests:Food being shoved in hot chicks faces.... and other stuff....

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      07-24-2012 11:38 AM #47
      Hooray.

Need to figure out DVR on my new setup NAO!
      Scotch. It's time.

Quote Originally Posted by TM87 View Post
      You can promote hate with pencil as you do with a gun. For me they are both the same.
      Frightening ideology, no?

Vehicles
      '07 Civic Hy, '93 940, '85 740
      07-24-2012 11:39 AM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by evosky View Post
      Can't wait for the new season (also, Rut, you get all my e-props for consistently tweeting back to my shoutouts hah! )

I know there's been interviews by the UK crew talking about the US version and probably vice versa - has there been any talk of have a UK/US showdown like they did with the Australian crew?? That would make for an awesome special!
      There'd be no competition, the US would smoke the UK crew simply because we have Tanner.

Vehicles
      MkV GTI
      07-24-2012 11:43 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by Woodski View Post
      There'd be no competition, the US would smoke the UK crew simply because we have Tanner.

But then the Brits would unleash the Stig... much like they did against the Germans who had Tim Schrick AND Sabine Schmitz.
      كافر
      Save the Nürburgring!

Gotta keep right on the 'Ring. German road rules apply.
      I think you and I have mentioned this one a few times over the years.
      Might as well just make it our signatures at this point.

Vehicles
      '07 Civic Hy, '93 940, '85 740
      07-24-2012 11:44 AM #50
      But then the Brits would unleash the Stig... much like they did against the Germans who had Tim Schrick AND Sabine Schmitz.
      ...and we have our own Stig too.

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast