Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought a plane, now to finish my PPL!

1. 07-18-2012 03:17 PM #1
      I found a really good deal on a 1947 Stinson 108-1 and figured I'd jump on it. I drove down to Carson City to check it out, and didn't see anything that scared me, so a week later my friend and I drove down with my instructor to pick it up. Tony got to drive back with a bunch of extra parts, and I flew back with my instructor. Most of the pics are of the cell phone variety, so I apologize

How it appeared when I looked at it the first time:

Interior:

Before the flight home:

During the flight home:

Shortly after takeoff, we noticed the some of the instruments weren't really working like they should. Brian (my instructor) brought his 296, but the plane didn't have a power jack, so we would turn it on, get the heading and pic a landmark that was on that heading and fly towards it with the GPS turned off to save the battery. Turns out there was water in the static line that connects a few of the instruments together and was causing incorrect readings- simple fix. The compass probably just needs to be rebuilt, again, no biggie.

There are some other little things to take care of before I really start building time in it, and one of those things is cleaning up the paint. I've just done a little bit here and there to get an idea of what to expect, and I think it'll be good:

Part of the package was an extra engine and constant speed propeller. The plane has 150hp Franklin now, and came with another 220hp Franklin for later

2. Member
      Vehicles
      TDI Golf, CBR1000F
      07-18-2012 03:56 PM #2
      Damn that is so cool. I am envious. One of my top 5 favorite airplanes.
      You will never find a nicer handling airplane, or an easier tail-dragger to land.
      If it's not foggy
      and you have your fog lights on
      you are a doofus.
      "Pro Tip: Don't **** with people who've been trollin' longer than you've been alive." - OOOO-A3

Vehicles
      VW GTI 20th AE BMP, 1978 VW Rabbit L
      07-18-2012 05:30 PM #3
      I will come down and buff and wax that plane up if take me up with you lol

but really thats an awesome find, that paint shines up really nice, going to be a beauty when your done.
      Buy My Things!
      Buy My 20th!
      What She Order?
      ლ(•益•ლ) Why you no buy my stuff!?
      78 HÄRE

4. Forum Sponsor Brendan@bwalkauto's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Electric thingy and a rust bucket
      07-18-2012 09:01 PM #4
      Excellent thread. It seems that every time I have more than a few fingers of Scotch I end up eyeballing airplane classifieds. I have the itch.
      Brendan Dolan
      Boardwalk Auto Mall
      Volkswagen l Nissan l Chevrolet l Lotus
      PRJCT.:R Chronicles l What I do in my free time.
      Quote Originally Posted by SivNiz View Post
      Have you ever been to the Terror Grill? Would you like to go?

Vehicles
      WVW MKVI, Morovan Zlin 242L
      07-19-2012 09:25 AM #5
      how come you didn't fly left seat?

6. 07-19-2012 10:47 AM #6
      My instructor wanted control of the brakes, and it only has them on the left side at the moment. The nav/com is on the left also, which I think is kind of cool, but it does have it's drawbacks.

Brendan, just dooo eeet! There are lots of bargains out there right now. I've been eyeing stuff for the past year or so, and really wasn't planning on buying anything when I went looking that night, but I felt this deal was either too good to be true, or too good to pass up. Just decide what kind of plane you'd like and wait for the deal to appear

7. Member
      Vehicles
      TDI Golf, CBR1000F
      07-19-2012 10:52 AM #7
      Plan a trip over to Salem some time when I'm around and I'll give you the nickel tour of the 7X and what the tower refers to as "The Taj Mahal". (Plus I can ogle your plane.)
      If it's not foggy
      you are a doofus.
      "Pro Tip: Don't **** with people who've been trollin' longer than you've been alive." - OOOO-A3

07-19-2012 02:55 PM #8
      So awesome! Congratulations!

Vehicles
      2007 GLI
      07-20-2012 12:12 AM #9
      Epic.
      "Personally, I believe that 'fairness' consists in the fruits of my labor not being taken by corrupt hacks to redistribute to their cronies in exchange for votes." -- Glenn Reynolds

10. 07-20-2012 12:31 AM #10
      Thanks guys Gern, I'll be over shortly after I get signed off for solo cross countries again As far as it being a forgiving taildragger, after a couple of my first landings in it, Brian commented on how it was "too easy" to land! It's all part of my plan On the flight home, he also commented on the feel of the ailerons and how responsive they are.

I've got a set of dual brakes in my office to copy, the materials should be here on Tuesday, and hopefully, the plane will be moved to a hangar next weekend to get everything sorted

11. Member
      Vehicles
      TDI Golf, CBR1000F
      07-21-2012 03:08 AM #11
      Looking forward to it. Hell, bring your instructor on a dual X-C.
      I'll buy lunch.
      If it's not foggy
      you are a doofus.

Vehicles
      1996 GTI hoopty
      07-21-2012 07:54 AM #12
      I love those older tail draggers. It looks like it's cleaning up really nicely. Amazing what a bit of TLC can do for foggy paint.
      It seems the government is currently saying, "While we're conducting this unspecified, unwarranted surveillance, we're totally thinking about how to not violate the 4th Amendment that we're currently violating. Because terrorism."

13. Senior Member
      07-21-2012 08:50 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by NickWVU View Post
      So awesome! Congratulations!
      Exactly. Love old planes.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      03 Passat, EMB 190
      08-23-2012 09:25 PM #14
      Good looking airplane!

15. Member
      Vehicles
      TDI Golf, CBR1000F
      08-23-2012 11:47 PM #15
      When you comin' over to Salem? Weather's been perfect... Not too hot, not too cold.
      If it's not foggy
      you are a doofus.

16. 08-25-2012 12:07 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by ferragamo View Post
      Good looking airplane!
      Thanks!

Gern, I'm not sure exactly when we'll be headed over. I've got to finish the fabbing on the dual brakes, install the new compass, and the GPS is getting a new battery and database update. If it had the rudder pedals in it, we'd have to fly over strictly IFR

Had my intro to Class D last weekend and was a blathering idiot on the radio

17. Member
      Vehicles
      TDI Golf, CBR1000F
      08-25-2012 12:14 PM #17
      Very good. The invite stands. Just let me know when you're coming over so I can get the espresso machine cranked up.
      If it's not foggy
      you are a doofus.

18. Forum Sponsor Brendan@bwalkauto's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Electric thingy and a rust bucket
      08-25-2012 12:26 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid VW View Post
      Had my intro to Class D last weekend and was a blathering idiot on the radio
      Been there, done that. When you're learning, you end up saying some stupid crap. Once you get comfortable, you learn "less is more" when you click the mic.
      Brendan Dolan
      Boardwalk Auto Mall
      Volkswagen l Nissan l Chevrolet l Lotus
      PRJCT.:R Chronicles l What I do in my free time.
      Quote Originally Posted by SivNiz View Post
      Have you ever been to the Terror Grill? Would you like to go?

19. 08-27-2012 02:45 PM #19
      Yeah, the radio work has always been a source of anxiety for me, but when I was last flying on '05, it really wasn't that bad. I have problems remembering people's name 30 seconds after we meet, so maybe by the time I'm comfortable chatting in the plane, I'll have better networking skills too!

Vehicles
      Current vehicles Audi A3 2.0T FWD 04 ninja 250 RIP 2010 Honda Accord Ex-L - and 2006 SV1000s
      10-08-2012 09:52 AM #20
      Yeah, the radio work has always been a source of anxiety for me, but when I was last flying on '05, it really wasn't that bad. I have problems remembering people's name 30 seconds after we meet, so maybe by the time I'm comfortable chatting in the plane, I'll have better networking skills too!
      Could be worse, I learned at a Charlie where one of the tower guys was an ex tower guy from a major bravo airport and f'd up so bad he was sent to my airport. He can be found on YouTube and truthfully you've probably heard his voice before.
      I tell them to tackle the concrete at walking speeds and re-think their position.

10-08-2012 10:28 AM #21
      Radio work was where my IPs were always amazed. I failed to tell them it was because I was that nerd that got his ham radio license in middle school. I just said "hmm...I must be a natural or something"
      MemeGate 2012 - First Responder, post #2

Quote Originally Posted by .skully.
      Mike, quote me in your signature

Vehicles
      2013 Volt
      10-08-2012 12:03 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by ATL_Av8r View Post
      Radio work was where my IPs were always amazed. I failed to tell them it was because I was that nerd that got his ham radio license in middle school. I just said "hmm...I must be a natural or something"
      ^^^^ this, 100%. I also pissed off numerous instructors by not looking at the chart to identify VORs and NDBs.... I know Morse by ear One instructor kept covering up the radio and tuning random navaids trying to trip me up. He'd turn on the audio, I'd listen to the identifier and go "oh, that's ___ ____ ___". Him: "***dammit you little punk."

23. Member
      Vehicles
      Jeep Grand Cherokee
      10-16-2013 12:03 PM #23
      I'm bumping this thread to see how the paint turned out. I've only flown a fabric Stinson but quite a few were converted to metal. I hope to get a -2 or -3 at some point. I think that 220 Frank bolts up but you'll need the larger fuel lines that the -2 & -3 have. The 150 also runs much better on mogas if you have the STC for it. Apparently the 150 and the 165 really need to be run at "rental power" to keep the lead in 100LL from building up. Most guys run an additive in 100LL to prevent it.

Gern's 7X is something to see, I've only seen the backside of it when he departed in front of me from EUG years ago though.

24. Member
      Vehicles
      Jeep Grand Cherokee
      10-16-2013 12:09 PM #24
      Double post

25. 10-16-2013 12:42 PM #25
      The paint turned out OK, but you can't polish the oxidation out of places where there is no paint (leading edges). I still need to get a good picture of it all cleaned up though. I've got the mogas STC, but no good way to transport it, so I've been adding TCP to the fuel to scavenge the lead. I've the the 1/2" fuel valve, and plan on getting the rest of the fuel system parts and rudder trim this fall/winter, and have a lead on the STC paperwork for the conversion.

One of the odd things that I've found is that if you have an original 1/2" fuel valve out of a -2 or -3, you can pretty much put as big an engine in as you want, but if you get a new 1/2" valve from Univair, you're limited to 200hp (I think). And the inlet to all of the carbs is 3/8"

26. Member
      Vehicles
      TDI Golf, CBR1000F
      10-16-2013 01:18 PM #26
      Come on out to KSLE, boys. I've got a new espresso machine at the hangar, and it's fireplace season again.
      If it's not foggy
      you are a doofus.

27. Member
      Vehicles
      Jeep Grand Cherokee
      10-16-2013 10:08 PM #27
      If only I had more time on my EUG overnight this week Gern. One of these weeks I'll have to see if you're around and drive up.

28. Member
      Vehicles
      TDI Golf, CBR1000F
      10-17-2013 12:18 AM #28
      Do it. I'll be standing by. (Hey, it's what I do best.)
      Last edited by Gern_Blanston; 10-17-2013 at 12:21 AM.
      If it's not foggy
      you are a doofus.

29. Member
      Vehicles
      Jeep Grand Cherokee
      10-22-2013 03:02 PM #29
      Did you get your dual brakes installed?

30. 10-22-2013 05:37 PM #30
      Your plane is sooo sexy. GL how does the handling compare to a 172 well aside from the tailwheel.
      If you need Genuine Honda parts and Accessories cheap let me know. Great service and fast shipping.

31. Member
      Vehicles
      TDI Golf, CBR1000F
      10-23-2013 09:05 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by ketamine1 View Post
      Your plane is sooo sexy. GL how does the handling compare to a 172 well aside from the tailwheel.
      I'll jump in here and say that the '108 is a great-handling airplane. A lot of older planes are pretty sloppy and/or ponderous, particularly in roll. The '108 is awesome. One of my favorite airplanes.
      If it's not foggy
      you are a doofus.

32. 10-23-2013 06:28 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by ketamine1 View Post
      I've got about 25 hours in a 172, but most of it was 7+ years ago. The most recent flight was a cross country with four adults and about 50 lbs. of baggage. The big difference I noticed was the 172 seemed to be more stable in yaw. Maybe I don't have the rudder trim tab tweaked properly on the 108, but even in straight and level flight, it keeps my feet busy, which I have no problem with at this point. It's probably not best to have sleepy feet when the little wheel is in the back Gern is certainly right about the ailerons- they are VERY smooth and responsive. It's a nice handling plane, for sure. I've also got a little bit of stick/yoke time in a 182, Maule M5, RV-6 and -7, and a Decathlon.

Another thing that impressed me with the 172 is it had no problem climbing up to 9500' to dross the mountians with the full load and a cruise prop. The 108, on the other hand, seems to have trouble climbing that high with two seats full and full fuel with what was told to me to be a climb prop. Both planes have 150 hp engines. The 172 was faster also, but I don't remember the actual cruise number. I flight plan for 92 knots in the Stinson.

CRD99: yes, got the dual brakes installed in January. It was a bit of a humbling experience since I rounded up some of the measurements to the nearest 1/8" since stock steel sizes weren't available in the measurements I was getting. I figured "old plane, under the floorboards, should be plenty of room...." NOT! Haha! Those guys with their slide rules and drafting boards definitely knew what they were doing "back in the day"- no need for 3D CAD programs!

33. 10-26-2013 11:33 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by CRD99 View Post
      I'm bumping this thread to see how the paint turned out.
      Here you go. Maybe not the best pics, but the best I've got for now.

34. Member
      Vehicles
      TDI Golf, CBR1000F
      10-27-2013 01:34 AM #34
      If it's not foggy
      you are a doofus.

35. Member
      Vehicles
      Jeep Grand Cherokee
      10-28-2013 01:42 AM #35
      Looks great! I like that you have the original yokes and instrument panel. I've seen a few 108s where they tried to modernize the panel and it looked terrible. The round yokes are great for cruising along with the window open and one hand resting on top.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast