Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Links back to The Car Lounge (opens in same window)
    Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The 5 greatest failures in car tech

1. 07-18-2012 03:34 PM #1
      http://mashable.com/2012/07/18/great...ar-technology/

The 5 Greatest Failures in Car Tech

The 100-plus-year history of the automobile is checkered with failed technologies. Some of these features and functions are so bad that car manufacturers would rather you not recall them at all.

To suss out the most spectacular tech mistakes of yesteryear, we spoke to car experts about their all-time favorites. The five biggest offenders have one thing in common: Car makers simply don’t make them like this anymore and for good reason.

1. The First Talking Car

While today’s navigation systems routinely bark directions at us, the first “talking” cars actually came out more than 20 years ago. The problem: 1980s technology limited these commands — which were stored and played using a miniature record and turntable — to an extremely small stash of pre-recorded messages.

“It started with the 1981 Datsun 810 Maxima, which had six phrases, including such hits as ‘Lights Are On’ and ‘Door is Open’,” says Popular Mechanics senior tech editor, Glenn Derene. “I remember shopping for a vehicle with my dad in the early ’80s when we checked out the Maxima. The first time you hear the car talk, it’s a fascinating piece of technology, but by the second time, it’s already annoying. We bought a Toyota.”

But Datsun wasn’t alone in this misstep. Chrysler and Ford had their own version of the talking car. In 1983, a Chrysler spokesperson even told a reporter at the Modesto Bee that user reviews of the feature were mixed at best. “Quite frankly, it’s 50-50. Some people love and some hate it,” he said. “That’s why we came up with the cutoff switch.”

We’d love to blame Knight Rider for this tech flop, but the show didn’t air until 1982.

2. The Nuclear-Powered Car

In 1958, Ford released a concept for a strange little vehicle called the Nucleon. Instead of an internal-combustion engine, the vehicle was supposed to be powered on a small nuclear reactor stashed in the rear. As Sid Ramnarace, a legendary former Ford designer who now designs products for the kitchenware company Savora put it: “What could go wrong there?” We can think of a few things.

These days, gamers may recognize the Nucleon as the inspiration for many of the cars in the Fallout game series’ post-apocalyptic Cityscapes.

3. The Automatic Shoulder Belt

Remember those seat belts that would automatically close on you (and your windpipe) when the door shut? Yeah, we’ve tried to block them out as well. “One of the worst technologies ever was the ‘automatic shoulder belt’, which, in some cases, had a negative effect,” says Dan Bedore, Nissan’s director of communications. “People who normally used their safety belts had to have a redundant, expensive, and awkward system. And some people didn’t bother to fasten the manual lap belt because they were given a false sense of security. The basic safety belt is the most important and effective safety technology in a vehicle. For a few years, in a few applications, it became a Rube Goldberg machine.”

The first consumer car to feature an automatic seat belt was the 1975 Volkswagon Rabbit, and the first one to have it as a standard feature was the 1981 Toyota Cressida. But the real surge came around 1990, when auto manufacturers were required to give all their cars either automatic seat belts or more-expensive driver’s-side airbags. In 1995, airbags became mandatory, and the silly robotic seat belt pretty much disappeared overnight.

4. The Turbine-Powered Car

How many times have you looked at an airplane and thought: ‘I wish my car had a jet engine in it?’ Somebody at Chrysler thought the same thing because in 1962, the company released the Chrysler Turbine. It was the first (and only) gas-turbine-powered production car.

“Turbine power was unequivocally cooler than conventional internal combustion engines,” says Basem Wasef, an auto writer and author of Legendary Race Cars. “It idled at 22,000 rpm, sounded like a jet engine, had one fifth the moving parts as a traditional piston power plant, and required no warm-up time.”

But the tech didn’t catch on. Chrysler produced just fifty five Turbines, which includes a set of five prototypes. Like the GM EV1 — an early attempt at mass-producing an electric car, — most were rounded up and destroyed. Today, just nine are known to exist in museums and private collections, and only three are thought to have operating engines. Predictably, they’re worth a fortune.

5. The Air Grabber Hood

The gimmick: Flip a switch on your 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner, and a hood scoop would rise up, complete with gnarly shark teeth painted on the side. “As a drag-racing intimidation tactic, I think it was pretty cool. I can imagine if you saw a Plymouth with the Air Grabber raised, you knew the guy next to you had a serious motor,” says Ben Stewart, Popular Mechanics’ West coast editor.

But as fast and furious as the Air Grabber hood may have been, it simply never caught on. “It was probably a victim of the early ’70s oil crisis,” Stewart adds. “Muscle cars became strangled by the new emissions equipment and automakers couldn’t make cars clean and quick like they do today. The tech just wasn’t there yet. So as these cars became defanged the Air Grabber disappeared.”
      Dempsey Bowling
      Sales Consultant at Doug Smith Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Ram/Subaru/Kia/used
      My fleet: 91 Miata, 98 Wrangler Sport, 01 Suburban 2500 8.1L, 14 Impreza Limited

Vehicles
      2003 TTq coupe, 2001 Forester L
      07-18-2012 03:37 PM #2
      Thank you Nucleon, you helped influence Fallout 3! Also, thank you Air Grabber hood, you made bugs and birds avoid Plymouths!
      Audi TT mk1 FAQ zero Fuchs given

Quote Originally Posted by deucestudios View Post
      Portland didn't like the Hellcat. Mr Farrah should have put a bird on it.

Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500 Sport, 2005 Saab 9-5 aero, 1996 Lincoln Town Car
      07-18-2012 03:46 PM #3
      GENTLEMEN BEHOLD!!

Wasn't quite ready for prime time.
      Remember take hold of your time here
      Give some meanings to the means to your end

Vehicles
      2010 GT500
      07-18-2012 03:47 PM #4

Vehicles
      2003 Ford Focus 2.3, 2006 Ford Fusion 2.3 Turbo, 2014 Fiesta SE 1.0T
      07-18-2012 03:50 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by alfafan View Post
      GENTLEMEN BEHOLD!!

8-6-4 should have replaced the Nucleon. I mean, it was just a concept, and I don't think any actual work was put towards it, while 8-6-4 was in production, but just a decade too early.

Vehicles
      TT // 919
      07-18-2012 03:52 PM #6
      Relevance!

AIR GRABBER
      I like things with two wheels and things with four wheels.

Squished Beetle | Fake Ducati

Vehicles
      2012 Fiat 500 Sport, 2005 Saab 9-5 aero, 1996 Lincoln Town Car
      07-18-2012 03:55 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by djsheijkdfj View Post
      I'm n o t very smart. What are we looking at here?
      Remember take hold of your time here
      Give some meanings to the means to your end

07-18-2012 04:06 PM #8
      From the youtube link: "Volvo c60 automatic braking test fails miserably. Epic brake and press pr fail!"
      2014 Focus ST | 2001 Cabrio VR-T | 1995 GTI VR6
      A2Resource |

FS: Porsche Wintercults | MK3.5 Mirrors

Vehicles
      German vans, British sporty things.
      07-18-2012 04:11 PM #9
      I also vote for illuminated gauges 100% of the time.

Never have we seen so many people driving at night without turning on their lights.

Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      07-18-2012 04:17 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by McBanagon View Post
      I also vote for illuminated gauges 100% of the time.

Never have we seen so many people driving at night without turning on their lights.
      I vote for this as well. I am always apalled at people who drive around without headlights on at night.

Vehicles
      GTI | CX9
      07-18-2012 04:20 PM #11
      I stopped reading at "Volkswagon".
      dasjettakartell - immortalized on the wall, forgotten on the floor

#HOTTESTCHICKINTHAGAME

Vehicles
      It's broken.
      07-18-2012 04:21 PM #12
      I believe volvo was attempting to showcase a new system that would detect an imminent crash and apply brakes for you before you rear ended the semi. It failed in that test.

Vehicles
      2010 GT500
      07-18-2012 04:24 PM #13
      Volvo developed an automatic braking system, and gathered the press for an event to show it off. As you can see, it didn't exactly work as intended.

Vehicles
      1999 Nissan Quest GLE, 2009 Nissan GT-R
      07-18-2012 05:43 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by djsheijkdfj View Post
      Volvo developed an automatic braking system, and gathered the press for an event to show it off. As you can see, it didn't exactly work as intended.
      Funny how they never seem to work in any press demonstrations.

Free 1SICKLEX

Vehicles
      2007 GTI DSG
      07-18-2012 05:48 PM #15
      I consider this a success.

Vehicles
      2014 Volvo XC90 D4
      07-18-2012 05:53 PM #16
      In for later, and also: Wasn't the S60 fail was due to a previously flat battery - juicing it up again without resetting the system caused this? Still stupid obviously, but all in all, in the worst case scenario, these cars perform as normal cars.

And that air grabber is just, neat.

17. Member
      07-18-2012 06:29 PM #17
      GENTLEMEN BEHOLD!!

Thank you for ATHF reference

Vehicles
      nothing to see here
      07-18-2012 06:49 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by TurboMinivan View Post

1. The First Talking Car

While today’s navigation systems routinely bark directions at us, the first “talking” cars actually came out more than 20 years ago. The problem: 1980s technology limited these commands — which were stored and played using a miniature record and turntable — to an extremely small stash of pre-recorded messages.

“It started with the 1981 Datsun 810 Maxima, which had six phrases, including such hits as ‘Lights Are On’ and ‘Door is Open’,” says Popular Mechanics senior tech editor, Glenn Derene. “I remember shopping for a vehicle with my dad in the early ’80s when we checked out the Maxima. The first time you hear the car talk, it’s a fascinating piece of technology, but by the second time, it’s already annoying. We bought a Toyota.”

But Datsun wasn’t alone in this misstep. Chrysler and Ford had their own version of the talking car. In 1983, a Chrysler spokesperson even told a reporter at the Modesto Bee that user reviews of the feature were mixed at best. “Quite frankly, it’s 50-50. Some people love and some hate it,” he said. “That’s why we came up with the cutoff switch.”

We’d love to blame Knight Rider for this tech flop, but the show didn’t air until 1982.
      Hahaha, I learned how to drive in my parent's 1984 Maxima and got quite acquainted with that friendly voice reminder. It could give you six warnings, "Left door is open," "Right door is open," "Parking brake is on," "Fuel level is low," "Keys in the ignition," and "Lights are on."
      Luckily, there was a "off" switch it you got annoyed from it.

I thought it was quite novel in its time.

Vehicles
      Volvo C30 T5 6sp manual / Mazda5 5sp manual
      07-18-2012 07:20 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by 8v_gti777 View Post

Holy crap. I would totally replace that orange thing with a peeking Pedobear.

07-18-2012 07:36 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by choochoo View Post
      Hahaha, I learned how to drive in my parent's 1984 Maxima and got quite acquainted with that friendly voice reminder. It could give you six warnings, "Left door is open," "Right door is open," "Parking brake is on," "Fuel level is low," "Keys in the ignition," and "Lights are on."
      Luckily, there was a "off" switch it you got annoyed from it.

I thought it was quite novel in its time.
      How funny; my first car was a 1983 Maxima, also in brown with the same wheels as the picture above. It was a funny car because it was a hand-me-down from my parents who also had no money. Basically all the money I made from my first year of working seemed to go into the car. This was well before the internet and I knew nothing about cars at the time. I remember doing the math once and realizing the car only got 12mpg. Not surprisingly when I took it in for service it turned out to have major fuel problems. Another $600 later and it had all kinds of new stuff and got 18-20mpg. To this day I still have no idea what failed so spectacularly that I could get 12mpg and still have a car that ran and drove roughly like a normal car. The voicebox on the car was broken by the time the car got to me, but I do remember it from years earlier when my parents first got the car. The downside of the broken voicebox is that if you left your headlights on and switched the car off, now there was NO warning that your lights were on. I think I had to get at least 3 jumpstarts with that car after coming out to a dead battery when driving somewhere early in the morning (headlights on when leaving the house, but light enough at the destination to not realize the lights were on).

21. 07-18-2012 07:53 PM #21
      Cadillac's attempt to take on Japan with the introduction of the Cimarron in 1982. Nearly took the brand under.

Oh, and I gotta throw in the Olds V8 FWD Buick Riviera/Cadillac Eldorado. I had an '82 Rivie, the weirdest platform I've ever owned.

Sent from my brain using a bagel
      Wolfsburg AWW REVO 93 Octane, AEM DryFlow SRI, 710N, Stainless 2.5" Turbo-Back Catless Exhaust, ECS 90A Dogbone Bushings, Eibach Pro-System
      Quote Originally Posted by SilverSLC
      You were all new once. Someone asking questions or posting a car that you don't like is NOT a license to attack that person or start name calling and generally acting like a jerk.

Vehicles
      Bent M
      07-18-2012 08:02 PM #22
      Let's not forget hybrid engines based upon currently existing motors.

They tend to cost a fortune, weigh a ton, and only get 10-15% better mileage.

"Ground-up" hybrids like the Prius and Volt are great. But particularly some of those old mid-2000's "hybrid" SUVs were terrible.
      2000 BMW M Roadster - 5-speed
      2014 Mazda Mazda6 - 6-speed
      2013 Subaru Crosstrek XV - 5-speed
      2013 Honda Civic LX Sedan - Nannymobile

23. 07-18-2012 08:13 PM #23
      That air grabber is badass. But unless there is some benefit to [I]not[I] having it up, then I guess it is kinda pointless.

24. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8
      07-18-2012 08:14 PM #24
      I wonder if the CVT will eventually be put on such a list......
      (expensive time bombs tend to be that way)
      |˙˙ʇǝuɹǝʇuı ǝɥʇ uo ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ɯopuɐɹ pɐǝɹ noʎ :ǝɯıʇ ǝǝɹɟ ɥɔnɯ ooʇ ʎɐʍ ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ןןǝʇ oʇ ʍoɥ˙˙˙|http://hotlinktest.com/

Vehicles
      02 BMW 325 / 97 Jetta/ 2012 Acura TSX wagon / 2007 Trailblazer SS
      07-18-2012 08:49 PM #25
      what was the Northstar system and what happened to it?

26. Member
      Vehicles
      2012 Honda Accord coupe V6 6-speed
      07-18-2012 09:06 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by TurboMinivan View Post
      3. The Automatic Shoulder Belt
      DIE IN A ****ING FIRE!!! Had it in my '92 Sentra. I wear my seat belt religiously, but this only caused me to forget to put my lap belt on.
      Quote Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
      And now I remember why I avoid TCL, 0-60mph in 6 seconds is slow, and McLarens are boring.
      Quote Originally Posted by redshift View Post
      You realize what "run a train" is a euphemism for, right?
      Not that there's anything wrong with that.
      Quote Originally Posted by konigwheels View Post
      Yakkiity yak, bull****s back!

27. Member
      Vehicles
      Oddie.
      07-18-2012 09:21 PM #28
      The door is a jar!

28. 07-18-2012 09:23 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
      That air grabber is badass.
      Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
      But unless there is some benefit to not having it up, then I guess it is kinda pointless.
      Reasons to close it could include:

1) Allow onlookers to watch in awe the next time you open it
      2) Stealth
      3) Prevent rain from entering the engine
      4) Minimize intake roar when you're in the mood for quiet motoring
      5) Reduce the number of low-flying birds and/or small land animals that the car inhales

I'm sure there are more.
      Dempsey Bowling
      Sales Consultant at Doug Smith Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Ram/Subaru/Kia/used
      My fleet: 91 Miata, 98 Wrangler Sport, 01 Suburban 2500 8.1L, 14 Impreza Limited

Vehicles
      '96 Miata
      07-18-2012 09:42 PM #30

Vehicles
      2013 focus ST ST3
      07-18-2012 10:10 PM #31

nuclear powered car

Vehicles
      1990 E30 M3
      07-18-2012 10:31 PM #32
      Failures? Those are failures? Sure, some of them are misguided, virtually unusable or annoying, but if it's a failure you're looking for, take a looksee at the copper cooled Chevrolet of 1923. Chevy planned on manufacturing 50,000 a month. 759 were produced, 239 were scrapped before leaving the factory, 150 were used by Chevy reps, 300 made it to the dealers and 100 were actually sold. All were recalled.

That is failure.

--Measure with mike, mark with chalk, cut with axe, pound to fit, paint to match

Vehicles
      E46 Touring and X5 M - FI FTW
      07-18-2012 10:42 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by mcbanagon View Post
      i also vote for illuminated gauges 100% of the time.

huge pet peave

Vehicles
      Stingray
      07-18-2012 10:58 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by 8v_gti777 View Post

Lumpy Idle
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Eistreiber
      Yeah, I prefer slow-cooked bacon; and bacon grease saved is great for frying other stuff, adds some good flavor to almost anything. Except maybe tofu, that stuff is beyond help.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

34. 07-18-2012 11:19 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by warren_s View Post
      The door is a jar!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast