Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When Stancing Goes Wrong

1. 07-30-2012 11:54 AM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by geoj View Post
      Or it's because his wheel fell off trying achieve a certain type of look... Which i have personally never seen someone fail this hard with spacers or adapters.
      It really doesn't matter what look he was after, what matters is that the wheels weren't properly torqued or the wrong combination of components was used to fasten a pretty commonly used 5x112 wheel to a hub. It has -0- to do with "stance" unless he was using some weird spacers or adapters. which I am guessing he was not.

We should call auto-crossers douchers too because I've seen wheels fall off on track days.

BPC>>Shoot when you're hot, shoot to get hot

2. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Toyota 4runner sr5
      07-30-2012 02:33 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by ryanmiller View Post
      the" stance " thing is just motorsports styling, to the extreme, just like anything else ; choppers, lifted trucks, drag cars.

it doesn't need to die off, but it needs to get back to where the cars are drivable and don't cause a inconvenience to normal drivers, weather it be going extremely slow on bad roads, or wheels falling off
      This right here.

The whole form>function thing is dumb. It should be form along with function.
      oh herro.

Vehicles
      2004.5 GLI
      07-30-2012 03:11 PM #73
      still love your car twinkie
      step 1: slam it
      step 2: make a sandwich
      Quote Originally Posted by boostd12v View Post
      not my cup of tea, and I drink a lot of tea

Vehicles
      07-30-2012 03:34 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by rennis View Post
      It really doesn't matter what look he was after, what matters is that the wheels weren't properly torqued or the wrong combination of components was used to fasten a pretty commonly used 5x112 wheel to a hub. It has -0- to do with "stance" unless he was using some weird spacers or adapters. which I am guessing he was not.
      He was using spacers... but I don't know about the "weird" ones your talking about.

We should call auto-crossers douchers too because I've seen wheels fall off on track days.
      If they didn't take the time to make sure their wheels were tight then why not...

Vehicles
      leaky vulva
      07-30-2012 10:16 PM #75
      At Formula Drift I asked him if he made sure that he put them on correctly. He said yes.

Vehicles
      89 GTI 90 Audi Coupe Quattro 2011 4 door GTI
      07-31-2012 12:29 AM #76
      Clearly, he didn't.
      Flickr
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Knappy View Post
      We really need breeding standards like they have with dogs.
      Quote Originally Posted by pete@blackforest View Post
      I remember when people modified their Volkswagen to enhance the driving experience. What ever happened to Fahrvergnugen? Bags are for kids that grew up watching Pimp My Ride. Turbo is for all of us that enjoy actual motorsport.

07-31-2012 11:17 AM #77
      What cracks me up most about this thread is that this guy is being thrown under the bus mostly because the word "stance" was used in the title. If someone had said "Dumped B5 gets uber slammed" this thing would have died the day it was started.

The car is hardly "stanced" if I understand the definition of the phrase properly.

I agree that "stanced" is a stupid phrase that needs to die a quick death, but the indignant posters in this thread are almost as stupid just by reacting to the use of the word altogether...

Yep, everyone is so eager to jump on the bashing bandwagon but I guess that's what Vortex is about anymore. Def not about the cars
      Waffled

Vehicles
      07-31-2012 04:21 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by 20thgti187 View Post
      Yep, everyone is so eager to jump on the bashing bandwagon but I guess that's what Vortex is about anymore. Def not about the cars
      Jesus...

07-31-2012 06:14 PM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by geoj View Post
      Jesus...
      You rang?
      Waffled

Vehicles
      slammmerreddd 84 GTI
      07-31-2012 06:33 PM #80
      this thread is still going....
      THE ONLY BAGS I USE WRAP AROUND MY 40oz KDL GNARlow

SECONDS FROM THE END, WHATS IT GONNA BE?
      PULL THE TRIGGER BITCH

Vehicles
      1990 Audi Coupe Quattro, 1991 Audi 200 TQA, 1987 Audi Coupe GT
      07-31-2012 11:30 PM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by jakewolf View Post
      I would like to see all of your sources for what makes "stancing" so homosexual.
      Exhibit lAme
      Last edited by Kliminati456; 08-02-2012 at 02:50 AM.
      ,.!..

Vehicles
      88 Jetta coupe 16vt quattro/ 99 dodge ram 2500 4x4/ 2003 Harley Dyna low
      08-01-2012 12:39 AM #82
      Children!!!! All of you!!!! Your dads need to break there belts out!!!! And beat some common sence into all of you!!!!!
      "Just because no one has done it, doesn't mean it can't be done."
      "If you can't buy it, build it.. If it can't be built, maybe you really don't need it!!"

08-01-2012 01:36 AM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by Kliminati456 View Post
      Exhibit gAy
      I'm gonna go ahead a say that is photoshopped haha, the bbs logo is flipped, the reflection makes no sense, the wheels is WAY brighter and has significantly more contrast than the car or anything else in the picture for that matter, the proportion/angle of the wheel is weird as well...

Even if it isn't though! Besides pink wheels(to each his own) I don't really see the problem. If real it is clearly be bagged which makes it WAY more practical then most other "stanced" cars.

I guess I just fail to understand how people think it is reasonable to talk down on other peoples interests. If someone likes to "stance" there cars than so be it. Grow up and quit worrying about what other people are doing, if it offends you so much on the internet than maybe this isn't the right place for you.
      My photographs can be found on: Tumblr & Facebook

14. Banned
      Vehicles
      Lot's of Nike's
      08-01-2012 01:47 AM #84
      this thread needs to die, as well as all future bitching about words & sayings the new scene uses..

Vehicles
      1991 Jetta GL
      08-01-2012 02:28 AM #85
      Urban Dictionary
      stance
      To destroy a cars handling abilities by having it lowered an excessive amount. Typically, the tires are tucked way inside the vehicles fenders. But in order to have a hellaflush stance and run the required excessively wide wheels with tires that are stretched just to fit onto the wheels, the car has to have an excessive amount of negative camber. If you stand behind one of these cars don't be surprised to see the rear tires looking like "/ \". The rear tires are probably bald on the inside and the outside still looks brand new, and there's probably only an inch of contact patch with the ground. A hellaflush stance car can't even pull into a driveway without bottoming out and ripping the bumper off or cracking the vehicles oil pan. Some stanced cars are so extreme that you can't even turn the vehicles steering wheel fully in either direction without the tires rubbing.
      "Eric, look at that stanced car, it looks so damn retarded. I don't understand why these kids do it, they are killing the performance and asking to get pulled over. ****, if they get pulled over, they are gonna get deported!"

"With all that money he spent stancing his car, he could have actually made it handle well and be pretty damn quick. Instead he can't even go over a speedbump without using 2x4s."
      I hit cars occasionally.
      EAD

16. Banned
      Vehicles
      Lot's of Nike's
      08-01-2012 02:50 AM #86

17. Member
      Vehicles
      (RIP) 2000 Jetta GLS 1.8t(last) 01 GTI VR6 (current) 89 GLI Helios
      08-01-2012 02:17 PM #87
      Quote Originally Posted by 84MK1RabbitGTI View Post
      Haha. Ive seen plenty of professional work do the same thing and cause the same damage if not worse.
      When I was in Vegas for CES I had my lifted Tahoe down there and my rear end decided that Nevada would be a great place to take a crap. So I had 4 Wheel Parts rebuild it. While test driving it the axle slid out because the mechanic forgot to put the clip back in..... 39 inch Swampers roaming around freely is a damage making tire!

Vehicles
      A6 2.7T<-junk, B3 Vr6<-nice, Mk1 2.0<-rusty
      08-01-2012 03:59 PM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by piratesayargg2 View Post
      Urban Dictionary
      stance
      To destroy a cars handling abilities by having it lowered an excessive amount. Typically, the tires are tucked way inside the vehicles fenders. But in order to have a hellaflush stance and run the required excessively wide wheels with tires that are stretched just to fit onto the wheels, the car has to have an excessive amount of negative camber. If you stand behind one of these cars don't be surprised to see the rear tires looking like "/ \". The rear tires are probably bald on the inside and the outside still looks brand new, and there's probably only an inch of contact patch with the ground. A hellaflush stance car can't even pull into a driveway without bottoming out and ripping the bumper off or cracking the vehicles oil pan. Some stanced cars are so extreme that you can't even turn the vehicles steering wheel fully in either direction without the tires rubbing.
      "Eric, look at that stanced car, it looks so damn retarded. I don't understand why these kids do it, they are killing the performance and asking to get pulled over. ****, if they get pulled over, they are gonna get deported!"

"With all that money he spent stancing his car, he could have actually made it handle well and be pretty damn quick. Instead he can't even go over a speedbump without using 2x4s."
      I have a few 2x4s in my rabbit right now.
      Quote Originally Posted by jiffyjetta View Post
      didn't they tell you the wheel bearing was bad when you went for an alignment?
      Quote Originally Posted by CouchGuy View Post
      When they talk, I hear " blah, blah, I'm a douche bag, blah, josh can fix it "

08-01-2012 05:31 PM #89
      i like laughing at peoples cars.

anyway what the hell are the mods thinking
      84 Jetta 2Door Daily driver
      81 Jetta 4Door diesel Daily driver - sold 9/2011

20. Member
      Vehicles
      '99 Civic Hatch
      08-01-2012 08:13 PM #90
      Exhibit Ghetto
      The wheels aside, certain people, me being one of them are offended when other people use the word (gay) to describe things. Ghetto is a better fit.

21. 08-01-2012 10:08 PM #91
      Problem:
      Someone on the interwebz doesn't like my style!

Solution:
      Rage!!
      For best results, experience reality in moderation.

Vehicles
      1990 Audi Coupe Quattro, 1991 Audi 200 TQA, 1987 Audi Coupe GT
      08-02-2012 02:43 AM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by jakewolf View Post
      I guess I just fail to understand how people think it is reasonable to talk down on other peoples interests. If someone likes to "stance" there cars than so be it. Grow up and quit worrying about what other people are doing, if it offends you so much on the internet than maybe this isn't the right place for you.
      This is a car discussion forum is it not? So wouldn't that make it a perfectly acceptable place to discuss a motor trend. Love it or hate it, either way this would be the place to express opinions on the trend. Regardless if that picture is real or not, it is representative of plenty of real cars. And the pink was actually not the reason I placed it here. My quarrel is more...

1.) The stretched tires on a wide wheel. Why get wide wheels just to put a tire that is way to small on it...well because its the only way having such wide lips on and still be able to move the car. So essentially negating all benefits of having wide wheels.

2.) The obscene negative camber. Why? oh yeah its the only way to fit such wide wheels, but in setting so much negative camber you limit the tire contact to like a 1-2 inch area rather than the full width of the wheel. Again essentially negating all benefits of a wide wheel

3.) The extremely low to the point the car cannot clear a speed bump without destroying your oil pan. Well there bags dude! yeah I know but why not a proper coil over suspension, there is no way you can tell me that bags can out handle a set of coil overs.

So basically stancing takes nice sporty good handling cars and completely turns it into a non functional ornament in order to look pretty and cool for others in the stancing scene.

Can you give me one functional benefit to stancing?

Quote Originally Posted by CRacer21 View Post
      The wheels aside, certain people, me being one of them are offended when other people use the word (gay) to describe things. Ghetto is a better fit.
      Your right! I apologize for using the term to describe these cars. Lame is better and less offensive. Although my responses may have been harsh. my intent is not to bash. I just don't understand the trend, maybe if I did I would be more accepting. So if any stancers has a statement/rebuttal my points in bold above please chime in.

Also to be fair, all my responses are more about the title of the thread rather than the car pictured in the original post. When I think of a stanced car I think of the silver bmw pictured rather than the yellow Audi. Maybe im just mixing multiple trends into one, happens when you get old
      Last edited by Kliminati456; 08-02-2012 at 03:02 AM.
      ,.!..

Vehicles
      20th AE 3366
      08-02-2012 04:02 AM #93
      1.) The stretched tires on a wide wheel. Why get wide wheels just to put a tire that is way to small on it...well because its the only way having such wide lips on and still be able to move the car. So essentially negating all benefits of having wide wheels.

2.) The obscene negative camber. Why? oh yeah its the only way to fit such wide wheels, but in setting so much negative camber you limit the tire contact to like a 1-2 inch area rather than the full width of the wheel. Again essentially negating all benefits of a wide wheel

3.) The extremely low to the point the car cannot clear a speed bump without destroying your oil pan. Well there bags dude! yeah I know but why not a proper coil over suspension, there is no way you can tell me that bags can out handle a set of coil overs.

So basically stancing takes nice sporty good handling cars and completely turns it into a non functional ornament in order to look pretty and cool for others in the stancing scene.

1.) It's been said before, it's a motorsport look. They have been doing this in Europe way before the word "stance" came about. The law is you have to run tires inside the fenders. So they ran the most tire they could while keeping it in the fenders. Trends always start from something.

2.) I don't care for this much. It's stupid IMO, pull your fenders if you really want to run that wide of wheels.

3.) You're not racing on the public street anyways.
      Also there was a video on youtube I'm having troubles finding, but they installed a proper air ride setup (8 valve) on a higher end sports car. They had a professional race driver, drive the car before and after it was fitted. He wasn't able to tell the difference.

Not the video but does go to show that it'll improve handling considerably from stock.
      Last edited by DowNnOuTDubin; 08-02-2012 at 04:05 AM.

Vehicles
      '88 e30 M3, '87 c900 vert, '10 Jetta TDI Cup Edition
      08-02-2012 11:47 AM #94
      Quote Originally Posted by CRacer21 View Post
      Agreed on using the term "gay" but "ghetto" (racially segregated enclaves) may not be that much of a step up

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghetto
      1988 BMW M3 Project Thread - 8k all day, rain or shine. Yes, I drive mine.
      1987 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible - 335whp, March 2010 Eurotuner Feature Car

Vehicles
      C5 A6 S-Line and 99 Civic Hatchback
      08-02-2012 01:33 PM #95
      I've seen white ghetto before. It's called "People Of Walmart".
      "Do you know the terror of he who falls asleep?
      To the very toes he is terrified, because the ground gives way under him, and the dream begins."
      ~Friedrich Nietzsche

26. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Toyota 4runner sr5
      08-02-2012 04:21 PM #96
      Well there bags dude! yeah I know but why not a proper coil over suspension, there is no way you can tell me that bags can out handle a set of coil overs.

I have airlift air-ride on my car and at the right heights it handles very similar to coilovers. I drive it hard through twisties all the time and never have a problem. One functional benefit to stancing? There is none, it's all aesthetic. However, with air-ride in the picture you can achieve that look and still retain driveability.

Here's the Airlift bagged STI. Not on a track, but still being driven like a car should be able to be driven.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/FWwQx_hC3wQ

http://www.youtube.com/embed/kHQGtKkf1Ek
      oh herro.

Vehicles
      2007 S4
      08-02-2012 04:27 PM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by IronJoe View Post
      Agreed on using the term "gay" but "ghetto" (racially segregated enclaves) may not be that much of a step up

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghetto

Vehicles
      996 C4S, Unnecessarily large truck, bike
      08-02-2012 05:12 PM #98
      My car is stanced/hellaflush/gay/waffled/crafted/ghetto/slammed/fitted and is still quite driveable, even in a track setting.

Vehicles
      996 C4S, Unnecessarily large truck, bike
      08-02-2012 05:16 PM #99
      I apologize for using the term to describe these cars. Lame is better and less offensive.
      As a person living with a bad knee, I am deeply offended by the word "lame". I think retarded would be a less offensive term to consider using instead.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      E92 BMW 335i coupe, E30 Convertible
      08-02-2012 05:34 PM #100
      Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious View Post
      As a person living with a bad knee, I am deeply offended by the word "lame".
      Bahahahahahaha

Vehicles
      92 XJ Cherokee
      08-02-2012 05:49 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by .Lindsay. View Post
      Bahahahahahaha

You can sympathize huh? Just substitute ankle, wrist, other ankle....other wrist....

»

Quote Originally Posted by Captain 'Murica! View Post
      I've always wanted to snog Taylor so she could, afterwards, write a song called "You Have a Big Dick But You Are A Big Dick" (chorus: "Hurts me so bad...Hurts me so good...")

32. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Toyota 4runner sr5
      08-02-2012 05:49 PM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious View Post
      As a person living with a bad knee, I am deeply offended by the word "lame". I think retarded would be a less offensive term to consider using instead.
      As a person with many retarded friends(most of whom are members of this forum), I feel the term "looks like Obama would endorse it" is a better fit.
      oh herro.

33. 08-02-2012 05:50 PM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by bigglzworth View Post
      You can sympathize huh? Just substitute ankle, wrist, other ankle....other wrist....

BOOM!!!!

BPC>>Shoot when you're hot, shoot to get hot

34. Member
      Vehicles
      01 Toyota 4runner sr5
      08-02-2012 05:51 PM #104
      Quote Originally Posted by bigglzworth View Post

Osteoporosis is not a laughing matter.
      oh herro.

Vehicles
      2007 S4
      08-02-2012 06:03 PM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by wRek View Post
      Osteoporosis is not a laughing matter.
      Wrong, EVERYTHING is a laughing matter.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast