Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: My 1992 Beach Mobile

1. n00b
      Vehicles
      1992 VW Cabriolet Manual
      07-19-2012 07:10 PM #1
      I just recently bought a 1992 Cabriolet which seemed to be running well. It only has about 63k miles on it and the interior is clean, so I jumped on it. I fully expected to pour some money into this machine to make it REALLY awesome, but it was pretty awesome when I got it.

Here's the issue... or at least the first of I'm sure many that I will post.

This morning I took the car to work. It's about a 40 mile trip, all highway. When I got close to my office, I had to stop at a stop sign. As I went to proceed, the power choked for a while and then died. I stopped for a minute and tried to restart the engine. On about my third attempt, it started back up, and I drove up to the office, another half mile with no incidents. When I got parked, I popped the hood and got a scent of something burning. It seemed to be coming from the right side of the engine, between the battery and the engine.

Here's some of the background that may be helpful:

I just got it back from my mechanic, whom I fully trust. He had changed out the valve gasket cover and changed the oil. I changed all the spark plugs, wires, and distributor cap about two weeks ago. Other than these things, I have no idea when any maintenance had been done to this vehicle. It did not come with records.

Odd performance items that may or may not have any bearing on this problem:

- When idling after warm, the engine pressure drops below 1 bar to about .8, and my light starts to blink. This was happening consistently when I first got the vehicle, diminished when I had put 20w50 oil, as recommended here, and now has started again after I had the oil changed.

- The exhaust sounds kinda like a diesel. Lots of put put put put putting.

- When first started up, my engine has a hard time finding the correct idle speed, as described in the link above. It revs up and then down and then up and down. After about a minute or two, it settles down.

So, should I drive it home? Anyone know what my problem(s) is/are?

Thanks!

Mikael

2. Member
      Vehicles
      1990 vw cabriolet automatic with a/c
      07-19-2012 07:26 PM #2
      which type of valve cover gasket did the mechanic you trust use, the cork or the rubber one?
      the burning smell may or may not be connected to the shutoff issue.

you may want to make sure all of your vacuum lines are in the proper places and not leaking at all.

is your car an auto or manual? please put it in your profile so everyone doesn't have to ask.

brian's probably going to say, "did you replace your grounds"?

others will have more suggestions...

3. n00b
      Vehicles
      1992 VW Cabriolet Manual
      07-19-2012 07:35 PM #3
      I *think* he said that he used the rubber one. My car is a manual... I'll update it on my profile right now. And no to both the vacuum lines and the grounds question. I will put them both on my get 'er done this weekend list.

Am I safe to drive home do you think?

By the way, I love this forum and love you guys for knowing so much about these cars.

4. Member
      Vehicles
      07-19-2012 08:47 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by minusver View Post
      I *think* he said that he used the rubber one. My car is a manual... I'll update it on my profile right now. And no to both the vacuum lines and the grounds question. I will put them both on my get 'er done this weekend list.

Am I safe to drive home do you think?

By the way, I love this forum and love you guys for knowing so much about these cars.
      i hate to answer that question. you probably are, but then again it might konk out on you. the upside is that it did crank last time after it shut off...maybe others more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

5. n00b
      Vehicles
      1992 VW Cabriolet Manual
      07-19-2012 09:21 PM #5
      Yeah. I hate to even ask the question because I know it's so hard to answer. Well, it's time to go home so I guess we will see. I'll keep everyone updated.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      07-19-2012 09:30 PM #6
      Yeah. I hate to even ask the question because I know it's so hard to answer. Well, it's time to go home so I guess we will see. I'll keep everyone updated.
      i'm gonna put positive thoughts and vibes out there for you. you'll be fine...

7. n00b
      Vehicles
      1992 VW Cabriolet Manual
      07-20-2012 01:34 PM #7
      Fortunately, I made it home with no problems. I anticipate many weekend projects upcoming.

8. Member
      Vehicles
      07-20-2012 04:13 PM #8
      Fortunately, I made it home with no problems. I anticipate many weekend projects upcoming.
      niiice. yep, these cabbys are a bit of work to get them into great runnning order.