Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Verizon TV / phone / internet bundle plus family plan cellular

Philly (now) <--> Bangkok 5555555 (later)
      Vehicles
      2001 Accord coupe V6 / 2013 Toyota Yaris / 2007 Kawasaki Ninja (DOA), 2005 Team Associated RC18t
      07-20-2012 03:16 AM #1
      I was wondering if Vz can offer me a good deal on cellular service, seeing how my parents just got the internet - phone TV in their house (I guess thats what they call the triple play, I think). As of now only 1 member of the household has a Vz cellphone, had it before they got the triple play.

My mom, wife and myself share a T Mobiel family plan. Ive been with T since 2000, I like them for 2 reasons: There cheaper & SIM card convenience (I go through a lot of phones, you may have noticed!). That being said, right now we pay about $65.00 per month for 3 lines, 1500 shared anytime min, unlim N&W, unlim phone to phone (eg: line 1 to line 2) min I think, edge date for net access (I never get phone that support the 1700MHz bands, so thats why I go with edge (basically thats like dial-up internet access, but for cellular phones, speeds are awful). I only use the net for downloading emails (no attachments), weather updates, rss updates, basic web ...ect. Any rich media (Youtube, streaming music , large file transfers... forget it.).

So like I said, I dont have much, but I dont pay much either. Ive been out of contract since around 2003 and I like it that way. I actually am using a Verizon phone right now (it supports GSM voice) so I could easily get that turned on.

The nice thing about T, at least for me, was they never forced me to upgrade my data plan to get a "real" data plan, one that would support high speeds. Perhaps they didn't because they didn't know what kind of phone I used (I call that bunk, they always know the make & model, regardless if they have it or not). Ive used iPhones and the system recognized it (it would tell me on my "MyTmobile page) but IVe also had foreign "world" phones and such and it just showed up as unrecognized.

So as of now, I would need a family plan: 4 lines (1 existing, 3 new), my mom needs nothing but basic talk, the wife just wants sms, I want internet. I have a galaxy S3 that is a Vz phone, I have a droid Bionic that I could activate for my wife and I'll buy outright the phone for my mom. Basically I am bringing all my own devices, I dont' want to sign a contract unless the deal is very good. Porting my existing number is important as its also my business phone.

That being said, since I have a tax ID, can we get some kind of business plan and save money that way?
      Quote Originally Posted by Adam Carolla
      "It shouldn't be called a radar detector, it should be called a rape detector. This is my own little electronic rape whistle."
      (ง'̀-'́)ง

07-20-2012 11:16 AM #2
      Both Verizon and AT&T are moving towards new 'share everything' plans which emphasize data and texts over voice. I'm on AT&T so I'm not exactly familiar with VZ's plans, but I am certain that it will be significantly more expensive than you are paying now. VZ doesn't even seem to be offering tiered voice and text plans anymore - it's either unlimited or the one 700 minute plan.

Basically, from what I can tell, you'd pay a minimum of $50/month for 1GB of account data access. (All devices could draw from this pool). Adding your smart phone would cost $40/month, and each basic phone would cost $30/month. Every phone would have unlimited text and talk. Still, you're looking at $180/month before taxes and fees. I doubt you'll get any kind of business discount for a single line.

Honestly though, I'd go into a store or call to make sure, because your usage doesn't seem to be a good fit for their new plans. My experience is that the salespeople are actually willing to make sure you get the best deal.

Edit: Even on AT&T with their tiered plans you wouldn't make out any better. You're looking at $90 for 1400 shared minutes. $10/month for each additional line. $20-30 for your data plan, and $30 for unlimited shared messaging. So ~$170 for no data pooling (or tethering) and no truly unlimited calls (although it's nearly, with unlimited mobile to mobile calling and free nights and weekends).

I guess because of that unlimited mobile to any mobile (bundled with the unlimited text plan) you could go with a 700 minute shared plan for $70, which might save you as much as $30/month over verizon, depending on what data package you choose.
      Last edited by zhenya00; 07-20-2012 at 11:23 AM.
      1987 Mercedes 190E 16v Cosworth
      1997 Volvo 855 T5
      2010 Volvo XC90
      2013 Prius Plug-In

3. 07-20-2012 11:56 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by zhenya00 View Post
      I'm on AT&T so I'm not exactly familiar with VZ's plans, but I am certain that it will be significantly more expensive than you are paying now. VZ doesn't even seem to be offering tiered voice and text plans anymore - it's either unlimited or the one 700 minute plan.
      Depends. Verizon Wireless's new share everything plan works for some, but not others. Basically the plan boils down with unlimited voice, unlimited text, and tiered data plans. $30 monthly access for basic phones, $40 for smartphones, and $10 for tablets, data plans start at $50/month with 1GB usage. I know someone in my office is saving almost $100 month under the new plan.

For me, it doesn't work. I am currently paying around $100 per month (taxes and fees included) with two lines and a UNLIMITED data plan. If I were to switch over to Verizon's share everything plan, I would be paying at least $20 extra + taxes and fees each month under the lowest new data plan, and that assumes I don't go over the data usage (which I probably would since I use a lot of data, especially with the new acquisition of a SG3 with 4G LTE)

07-20-2012 12:04 PM #4
      Sure, it works better for some than for others. Anyone who is saving a bunch of money under these new plans was probably significantly overpaying on their old plans though. Every time plans change, they are strategically designed to up the vast majority of consumers' bills just slightly. For me, AT&T's new shared plans would cost us $10 more per month, but offer us truly unlimited calling (vs. unlimited mobile to any mobile and free nights and weekends) and tethering included. I'd lose my current unlimited data though, and I don't need unlimited calling as I have the smallest current plan and have years worth of roll-over minutes banked.
      1997 Volvo 855 T5
      2010 Volvo XC90
      2013 Prius Plug-In

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      07-20-2012 12:34 PM #5
      Verizon's new plans are such a ****-show for anyone who is not in a family plan. My wife is going to end up having to pay more to get less with their new scheme.

Unless you have 2+ phones you're getting screwed.

07-20-2012 12:41 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      Verizon's new plans are such a ****-show for anyone who is not in a family plan. My wife is going to end up having to pay more to get less with their new scheme.

Unless you have 2+ phones you're getting screwed.
      She's not forced into the new plans though, right?
      1997 Volvo 855 T5
      2010 Volvo XC90
      2013 Prius Plug-In

Vehicles
      '15 STi & '13 GTI
      07-20-2012 01:02 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by zhenya00 View Post
      She's not forced into the new plans though, right?
      Not sure, this article seems to go both ways- in one paragraph they say that people who upgrade will lose their grandfathered plans which is obvious. But it also looks like they will force current subscribers to the new plans even if they don't upgrade.

I'd imagine that whenever the contract runs out on her phone then Verizon can do whatever they want at that point, regardless of whether she gets a new phone or not because the contract has ended.

My company pays for my cell phone so we can't even sign up for a family plan, she is stuck settling for a plan that will only have 200MB of data a month... switching to Sprint who is the only company still offering a practical plan for single phone accounts.

EDIT: It looks like she will get to keep the unlimited plan as long as she never upgrades to a subsidized phone. So I guess if she pays full price for a phone she can keep the plan.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/0...ed-data-plans/
      Last edited by Hostile; 07-20-2012 at 01:06 PM.

07-20-2012 01:12 PM #8
      Huh. I was under the impression that you'd lose unlimited, but if they also force you into the newer, more expensive plans, that'd really suck!
      1997 Volvo 855 T5
      2010 Volvo XC90
      2013 Prius Plug-In

9. 07-20-2012 05:04 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      EDIT: It looks like she will get to keep the unlimited plan as long as she never upgrades to a subsidized phone. So I guess if she pays full price for a phone she can keep the plan.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/0...ed-data-plans/
      Bingo. That was the primary reason I had upgraded my phone prior to the switch over (pre-ordered it in June for July release). Otherwise, I'd either have to bite the bullet and pay more, stay with my 5-year phone for another gazillion years, or move to a different carrier.