Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Coil Problem

1. Member
      Vehicles
      1979 Mk1 Scirocco
      07-20-2012 10:45 PM #1
      This has not been a big issue, but it was today on the track.
      It seems that I have some kind of grimlin in my coil or ignition system. Under load and hard driving the motor will just put out enough power to barley maintain rpm and also some times cut out in the upper rpm range. The Tac will also "flutter" when boost kicks in, that is it will drop down and then bump up.
      I was going to start checking grounds from the coil back. Any suggestions or experience with this issue? Thanks

Vehicles
      1987 20v scirocco e30
      07-20-2012 11:52 PM #2
      similar thing happened to me when one of my ignition wires wore through on the intake
      Quote Originally Posted by saddest6day66 View Post
      Anymore most of them are just mk3-6 kids that want to be "old school" and got a mk2...

3. 07-21-2012 07:38 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by 79MK1Scirocco View Post
      This has not been a big issue, but it was today on the track.
      It seems that I have some kind of grimlin in my coil or ignition system. Under load and hard driving the motor will just put out enough power to barley maintain rpm and also some times cut out in the upper rpm range. The Tac will also "flutter" when boost kicks in, that is it will drop down and then bump up.
      I was going to start checking grounds from the coil back. Any suggestions or experience with this issue? Thanks

I was going to ask if it only happened under load or did it also happen wh en free revving, But i see you had already mentioned this.

I would keep a mind towards what the motor is doing, under load, during high torque outputs. As in shifting in the mounts, straining both Air Intake 'stuff' and Electrical Connections.

4. 07-21-2012 07:41 PM #4
      Another thought is that normal driving can better deal with a marginal voltage, augmenting your supply and esp Grounding might provide more 'sump' of good, clean 12-14v.

And of course, Seafoam isn't a bad idea.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      1979 Mk1 Scirocco
      07-21-2012 10:07 PM #5
      That Marginal Voltage is exactly what I think the problem is.
      The car has had electrical issues in the past where the head lights would go out when the high beams would turn on. Had a burnt up connection behind the fuse panel. Similar problem here I hope. Just got to trace some wires.