Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: 2013 2.5 S 5MT Ordered

1. Member
      Vehicles
      '13 JSW 2.5 5MT
      07-21-2012 12:36 PM #1
      I went to the local VW/Mazda dealer this morning to compare the Jetta Sportwagen and Mazda3 Skyactiv to replace my '01 Golf 1.8T.

The handling of the Mazda was great but the engine (or maybe it was the gearing with the 6MT) just didn't impress me. Since our other car is a Mazda5 stick (similar power/weight) I was pretty surprised. Though I was leaning towards the Sportwagen anyway for the cargo room so that just made the decision that much easier.

The only Sportwagens on the lot were TDIs, which with my 10 mile commute and under 10k per year mileage doesn't make much sense for me, so I sat in one of those and then test drove a 2.5 Jetta sedan stick. The engine and transmission felt great; a little less smooth than the Mazda but much better power in lower revs.

'12 S manual Sportwagens are pretty scarce so when my sales guy mentioned ordering a 2013 I went for it: white with no other options. No estimate yet of build date but getting the right car was more important than getting it quickly.
      Last edited by ThunderGolf; 09-28-2012 at 05:34 PM.

2. 07-21-2012 12:43 PM #2
      We had to order our 2012 JSW to get the 2.5 with a stick. It took a couple of months but it was well worth it.

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2003 Golf Tdi MT & 2010 JSW 2.5 S MT
      07-22-2012 09:05 AM #3
      Back in 2010 when I was shopping for my wagen I walked into the dealer knowing I wanted a Black 2.5 S Manual - all they had on the lot were tdi's. She said I should test drive the tdi and see how it feels. I said no thank you, I've owned 6 vw's prior to this I know what I want. She proceeded to tell me that they didn't have any and I wouldn't be able to find one because noone in America wants to drive a manual transmission. I said thank you and began to walk out. Before I even got to the door she stopped me and said hold on, let me check our system. She came back and told me to come outside. A mechanic pulls up in front of me with a new Blue 2.5 S manual. The sales woman says what do you think? I said it's real nice but I want Black - she looked disgusted. I began to walk away again and again she stopped me. We went back to her office and I literally sat there for half an hour by myself. She came back in and said they found what I wanted, but it was in the port in New Jersey and was being sold to another dealer. They contacted that dealer and they agreed to sell it to them (me). I thanked her and said she should have done that in the first place and saved both of us an hour of our day.

She hated me but I walked out of there with what I wanted
      I'm not good with numbers, I just count on knowing when I'm high enough

4. Member
      07-22-2012 11:11 AM #4
      I went shopping to (start to) do the same thing yesterday by stopping at the local dealer. After a lap around the lot I parked next to a new 2.5 S. Fortunately for me it was unlocked...one of my reasons for stopping was to see if I could live with the JSW seats, which are nice but not as nice as the seats in the Golf (in which you can still get a sunroof). It was also Moonrock metallic, which I'd never seen in the paint. Being an automatic, so I left my wallet in my car.

I took a peek at a couple of 2 door Golf 2.5s and GTIs on the lot and decided to forgo the sunroof for a JSW in silver, white. or Moonrock. I was approached by a salesman who told me basically that I'd better take the auto S they had since I'd never see another one. I laughed, knowing that they were a lower-volume store, and that their people have told me or friends some outrageous things over the 20 years I'd been living here.

I told him no thanks, and that it wouldn't be a problem since when their sales manager took my deposit for a Golf R a year before the first cars arrived - and never ordered me a car - it wasn't a problem to find a car elsewhere over the past couple of months, so finding someone willing to order a lowly JSW 2.5 S MT with no accessories shouldn't be a problem. He said to "hold on, I'll get the GM out here", but if that did happen, I was already several blocks down the street.

Now my dilemma is to find a NYC/Hudson Valley/Long Island (or maybe Maryland) dealer who will work with me since I'm moving from CT and see no reason to pay local elevated "conveyance" and window etching fees (done as soon as the cars arrive on the lot, with the fee pre-printed on the purchase order. When I bought our Mini (in NY) I was charged $45...

Any JSW 'texers have an awesome experience at a NY store?

Vehicles
      2013 GSW TDI
      07-22-2012 04:45 PM #5
      i ordered my 2013 a couple of months ago and mine arrives aug 13

Vehicles
      '11 Routan, '10 JSW
      07-22-2012 07:49 PM #6
      I'm curious to see what they look like since they're supposed to come with letter msfw. I found the only one in my area when I got mine back in '10. They are indeed rare.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 tdi jsw
      07-22-2012 08:16 PM #7
      we just got our 13 brochures delivered to us...
      same car as 12
      Quote Originally Posted by ujelly View Post
      i wuld just lower it bc i will buy lowers b4 i even by it looks great like dat bc they all are so high but when yoi lower it makes it better that you think

8. Member
      Vehicles
      '13 JSW 2.5 5MT
      07-22-2012 09:19 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by haunted reality View Post
      I'm curious to see what they look like since they're supposed to come with letter msfw.
      The spec sheet on my '13 that was given to me when I ordered does list the leather-wrapped multi-function steering wheel and multi-function trip computer as being standard on the S, which was a pleasant surprise.

9. Member
      Vehicles
      Various Variants
      07-22-2012 09:57 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by ThunderGolf View Post
      The spec sheet on my '13 that was given to me when I ordered does list the leather-wrapped multi-function steering wheel and multi-function trip computer as being standard on the S, which was a pleasant surprise.
      I like the S because it comes with all black trim, cloth seats, and a decent, reliable engine. The one negative for me was the lack of a multi-function display and the MFSW. I figured those would be very hard to source affordably and that an upgrade would involve an instrument cluster/odometer swap. Sounds like the S just became an even better sleeper than it was before...

10. Member
      Vehicles
      '13 JSW 2.5 5MT
      07-23-2012 01:34 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Outrider6 View Post
      I like the S because it comes with all black trim, cloth seats, and a decent, reliable engine. The one negative for me was the lack of a multi-function display and the MFSW. I figured those would be very hard to source affordably and that an upgrade would involve an instrument cluster/odometer swap. Sounds like the S just became an even better sleeper than it was before...

The leather-wrapped wheel in the TDI JSW I sat in felt very nice compared to the hard plastic one in the Jetta sedan I tested.

BTW, MSRP on the '13 S went up $200 to $20,395; not bad considering the steering wheel and trip computer upgrades.

Vehicles
      '11 Routan, '10 JSW
      07-23-2012 02:47 PM #11

The leather-wrapped wheel in the TDI JSW I sat in felt very nice compared to the hard plastic one in the Jetta sedan I tested.

BTW, MSRP on the '13 S went up $200 to $20,395; not bad considering the steering wheel and trip computer upgrades.
      That's not bad at all, the steering wheel is my main complaint, I really wish it came with MFSW. I've looked into the upgrade and may just do it sometime. It looks daunting though taking apart of the steering wheel.

Vehicles
      04 GTI, and soon to be 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
      07-23-2012 04:33 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by thebarker View Post
      i ordered my 2013 a couple of months ago and mine arrives aug 13

When exactly did you order yours? I just ordered my on Friday they said about 8-12 weeks.

Vehicles
      2013 GSW TDI
      07-23-2012 07:35 PM #13
      Late may
      Last edited by thebarker; 07-23-2012 at 07:38 PM.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      '13 JSW 2.5 5MT
      08-10-2012 02:48 PM #14
      My salesman just sent an e-mail telling me the car has been scheduled to be built the week of 8/19.

15. n00b
      Vehicles
      2007 Passat 2.0T, 2000 Golf GLS, 1993 Corrado VR6 SLC, 1990 GTI 16V
      08-15-2012 12:50 PM #15
      Can you order alloy wheels as an option? The 2.5 S comes with steel wheels as per the spec.
      I live in Boston metro as well and I am looking to place an order for the 2.5S MT some time in October.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      '13 JSW 2.5 5MT
      08-15-2012 05:09 PM #16
      Sorry, I don't know about that one. My plan is to keep the steel wheels for winter use and source my own alloys (probably OEM take-offs but maybe aftermarket).

17. n00b
      Vehicles
      2007 Passat 2.0T, 2000 Golf GLS, 1993 Corrado VR6 SLC, 1990 GTI 16V
      08-15-2012 06:45 PM #17
      I am in the market for a JSW 2.5L MT and there is none out there. I have never ordered a vehicle from a dealership before. Do you still have the power of negotiating? Or you just pay the MSRP and hope it will show up in 12 weeks?

18. Member
      Vehicles
      '13 JSW 2.5 5MT
      08-16-2012 10:42 AM #18
      From what people are saying in this thread it sounds like you can negotiate when ordering.

My situation was a bit different since we bought our Mazda from the same salesman 4 years ago. I let him know I was looking, made an appointment with him, and when I walked in he showed me the factory invoice pricing for the cars I was interested in on his computer screen. I thought ordering at factory invoice was fair so I didn't have to haggle.

As for hoping it'll show up, once the order is placed the dealer should give you periodic updates on the build process. I ordered on 7/21 and my car is scheduled to be built next week.

19. 08-16-2012 06:05 PM #19
      We ordered our JSW. The salesperson wouldn't talk price with me until the car showed up. He casually left the price at MSRP when he first ran the numbers, but that was just a game. Whether you order a car from the factory or not, you can still negotiate however you want. Your deposit is refundable if you get to the point where you decide to walk out on the deal.

Vehicles
      '06 Campy White Touareg V6 & 2013 Ibis White Audi allroad
      08-16-2012 07:26 PM #20
      I have several sources within VW corporate saying the JSW is going away.... so get 'em while you can if you want 'em.

Vehicles
      1999 Passat GLS, 2000 GTI GLX, 2001 BMW 325i, 2010 Golf TDI, 2014 Tiguan S
      08-16-2012 10:46 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by TREGinginCO View Post
      I have several sources within VW corporate saying the JSW is going away.... so get 'em while you can if you want 'em.

What do you mean it's going away? It's available for the 2013 model year. After that, the whole Golf line is getting updated, including this Jetta / Golf wagon.

22. Member
      08-17-2012 07:16 AM #22
      Just wanted to post and say that it looks like the MFD-plus with detailed trip computer and settings menu as well as the multifunction steering wheel is indeed coming on the 2013s. Left as well as right steering wheel controls.

Here is the first 2013 S that I found on cars.com with pictures:
      http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1

Very exciting! This was the only thing I felt was missing from the S trim, and now that I'm very close to being ready to buy, it becomes not only available but standard!

As for ordering, if you do a program like Costco, the price that is offered to Costco members also applies to ordered vehicles, even if the dealer would like you to believe otherwise. One dealer tried telling me that it only applies to cars on the lot (told him to pound sand), the other said "Go ahead! Order it! You pay Costco prices no matter what!" Costco's website supports the latter.

What if the dealer doesn’t have the vehicle I want?
      Our dealers will explain the options available to you when you are at the dealership. If an acceptable vehicle is not available from dealer inventory, the dealer may offer to trade from another dealer or factory-order one for you. Trading with another dealer may incur an additional charge, which will depend on the individual circumstances. The dealer will advise you of the charge before you commit to the trade.

Can I factory-order my car?
      In most cases, yes. The dealer will explain the process to you when you select a vehicle. Please note that manufacturers' processes vary. Regardless of the brand, you typically are entitled to any rebate or special rate financing that is available on the day of delivery. If the manufacturer changes the offer between the dates of order and delivery you receive what is available the day of delivery.
      Basically, you only get the extra rebates or other incentives that are in effect on the date of delivery, not date of order. But the base Costco discount (usually pegged to the invoice price) applies regardless if you order or buy a car off the lot.

Vehicles
      1999 Passat GLS, 2000 GTI GLX, 2001 BMW 325i, 2010 Golf TDI, 2014 Tiguan S
      08-19-2012 02:22 AM #23
      It looks like there is a compartment on the left side below the light switch. Is that a new feature for 2013 also?

24. Member
      08-19-2012 02:25 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by epc View Post
      It looks like there is a compartment on the left side below the light switch. Is that a new feature for 2013 also?
      I just noticed that! So the 2013s get the dash cubby too?! I thought North American cars didn't get that because of the dash bracing required for safety?

Vehicles
      2008 Passat Wagon VR6 4motion, 2013 FIAT 500 Sport
      08-24-2012 08:27 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by epc View Post
      What do you mean it's going away? It's available for the 2013 model year. After that, the whole Golf line is getting updated, including this Jetta / Golf wagon.
      Production of the Sportwagen has either stopped or will be stopping in the next few weeks ahead of the launch of the Golf VIi in Europe this fall. See this post. We won't see a new Jetta-sized wagon in the US until fall 2013, and chances are it will be an Outback-type-thing similar to the alltrack concept.

Sadly it seems we here in the US will not longer be able to buy a wagon that isn't pretending to be an SUV after this fall.

Consider yourself lucky if you get one before they run out. Doesn't look good for people like me who can only afford used--I'm sure resale will go out of control.
      - Jeff
      B6 Passat 3.6 & 4motion Resource Thread
      Now: 2008 VW Passat 3.6 4motion Wagon, 2013 Fiat 500 Sport
      Then: 1987 Volvo 745GLE, 1989 Volvo 740GL, 1994 Volvo 940T, 1995 Infiniti G20, 2000 VW Passat 1.8T, 2001 VW Jetta Wolfsburg Ed (x2), 2004 VW Golf TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI

26. 08-24-2012 08:39 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by yamato72 View Post
      We ordered our JSW. The salesperson wouldn't talk price with me until the car showed up. He casually left the price at MSRP when he first ran the numbers, but that was just a game. Whether you order a car from the factory or not, you can still negotiate however you want. Your deposit is refundable if you get to the point where you decide to walk out on the deal.

There is no way that I would have ordered the car without setting a price first. What happens when you wait 3-4 months, the car gets there and the dealer decides that he doesn't want to deal because he knows that somebody will buy it tomorrow if you don't take it today? If you walk out, you're right back where you were 3-4 months ago.

27. Member
      Vehicles
      '13 JSW 2.5 5MT
      09-12-2012 04:08 PM #27
      The car has been built and is awaiting shipment. Current ETA mid-October, which would make just under 3 months from order to delivery.

28. Member
      Vehicles
      '13 JSW 2.5 5MT
      09-24-2012 08:24 PM #28
      The car has reached the port in NJ. Dealer hopes to have it by the end of the week.

29. Member
      Vehicles
      '13 JSW 2.5 5MT
      09-27-2012 03:17 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by kimilein View Post
      I just noticed that! So the 2013s get the dash cubby too?!
      I met with the dealer yesterday to go over the paperwork and see my car. It does have the dash cubby; nice little addition. Delivery is tomorrow.

30. Member
      Vehicles
      '13 JSW 2.5 5MT
      09-28-2012 05:41 PM #30
      I took delivery of the car today; almost 10 weeks to the day from order to delivery. It's still raining outside so i don't have any pics but it's a stock candy white 2.5 S.

I have a set of 16" Bioline wheels (the machined/charcoal ones) ready to be swapped in for the steel wheels, a set of S53 Whispbars on order, and am looking at adding some exhaust tips but probably will not do anything else to the car.

The Multi Function Display and Bluetooth are pretty nice - this is my first car to have anything like these.

Edit: added photos

Last edited by ThunderGolf; 09-28-2012 at 09:21 PM.

Vehicles
      '11 Routan, '10 JSW
      09-29-2012 05:50 PM #31
      Nice, congrats I really wish mine had the MFSW too, it's a nice add for 2013.