Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

VWVortex

Thread: Throttle slipping / bad smell

Vehicles
      03 Uniblack 24V GTI
      07-22-2012 04:49 AM #1
      Last night I was just cruising around, everything was fine... I come to a red light where I need to make a left so when it turns green I go left and hit it a bit... all of a sudden I hit 5th and out of nowhere I feel like I hit a patch of ice without touching the clutch or anything.
      I shift into 6th and it's going fine until I give it a bit of gas; the revs jump as if the clutch is being pushed in. Still holding, but slipping.
      I pulled over and there's fluid leaking from the new oil pan area/trans area. Also it smells.. my tech friend asked me if it smells like sulfur and I wasn't sure, but someone said that yes they think it does smell a bit like sulfur. Smells baaad but doesn't seem like anything too crazy.
      I was able to crawl it home, sounded like it was making a bit of mechanical noise; especially when I gave it a bit of gas (it didn't like that)
      Something wrong with my trans? Or do I just need a new clutch maybe?
      My car is lowered on coils, and a towing company snatched my car a week ago but instead of flat bedding it towed it on 2 wheels >.< /facepalm They paid for the new oil pan... but now after 2 or 3 days this happens.

Thanks for the help!
      -Sam

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      '03 Jetta GLI, '93 Corrado SLC
      07-26-2012 03:02 AM #2
      Was it engine oil or trans oil? If it's coming out of the clutch area, it could be either so knowing which it is, is the first clue. It could also be fluid from the throw out bearing because in your car (i'm assuming it's the vr6 6 speed combo) is combined with the slave cylinder. So if that is leaking, that would explain the clutch slipping. So, you have 3 different fluids to choose from. Figure that out and get back to the forum.
      -Holmes

People are always surprised that my car smells of crayons

3. Member
      Vehicles
      Jetta TDI 03, Corrado 24v 90.
      07-26-2012 08:45 AM #3
      Since you just replaced the oil pan I think it might be the gasket on the oil pan leaking on your clutch. Now your clutch is probably toasted. Who installed the oil pan ?

Vehicles
      02 Gti 24v. 85 Golf 1.8t. 97 Dodge Caravan
      07-27-2012 05:26 PM #4
      Could also be the clutch slave cylinder. Mine started doing this for a little while and then just went, leaking brake fluid all over the clutch. Eventually it wouldn't hold any pressure at all.

Vehicles
      03 Uniblack 24V GTI
      07-31-2012 10:54 AM #5
      Hey guys sorry Idk why I wasnt getting subscriptions >.<
      Anyway though apparently my trans is shot... they took it apart n found lots of metal shavings n **** n it was leaking trans oil. The bearings inside the trans are no good I think I was told, and I don't think the throwout bearing is good anymore either.
      So now I have to buy a trans and a new clutch Flippin tow trucks carried my lowered GTI on a wheel lift; they paid for the new pan but I guess im going to have to go to small claims court for the trans n clutch.

Vehicles
      03 Uniblack 24V GTI
      08-23-2012 12:46 PM #6
      Was only a hole in my transmission causing fluid to leak onto the clutch... and whoever installed the clutch and flywheel before I bought it in september didn't even tighten anything down fully. The clutch disc and flywheel was roasted, and the flywheel was even shaving the inside of the trans a bit (which was not ever seen nor heard)

And I thought it was bad!

Vehicles
      03 Uniblack 24V GTI
      08-23-2012 12:47 PM #7
      btw brand new clutch flywheel and new trans is like butttaaah omg
      Feels like factory (aside from my shifts being less than half the throw lol)

8. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      03 gti vr6
      08-23-2012 03:14 PM #8
      how said 50% throw reduction was achieved?
      The Elite 24v VR6 Club: Member #547

Vehicles
      03 Uniblack 24V GTI
      08-23-2012 03:34 PM #9
      not literally just feels like it. my throw feels like it goes an inch. dunno what kinda ss i have it came in the car >.<